As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Win 10 multiple monitors

BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
Does anyone know why windows 10 would suddenly pretend like it can't detect my second monitor?

Last night, I moved my PC into my living room to play some steam games with my friends on my TV. This morning I moved my PC back into my room and plugged everything back in. Except now that everything is plugged in, Windows 10 won't let me extend my display onto my two monitors. It will let me switch between the two, if I tell it to "Only display on monitor 1" or "Only display on monitor two" but if I click on 'detect monitors' it tells me there isn't another monitor. If I try to extend or duplicate my displays, windows 10 tells me

Any ideas?

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Severely disappointed this isn't a contest where i walk away with nearly a dozen computer screens.

Have you tried rebooting with both plugged in?

What is this I don't even.
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Have you updated your video card drivers yet?

Once you've done that, change the setting in the video card's management piece.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    bowen wrote: »

According to AMD my system already has the latest drivers installed. And the AMD control center tells me my second monitor is disabled (but it isn't according to the device manager) but it still lets me switch between the two monitors, but not extend the display.

Darkewolfe wrote: »

Yup.

Literally nothing on the system has changed between last night and today, except for I had my PC plugged into the TV last night. And I guess I installed a game on steam.

Burtletoy on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    At this point I'd say do a clean install of the drivers, might be a windows update that overwrote some shit.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    You did plug them back into the right ports of the gpu?

tighten up the connection on the back of the monitors could be loose and not getting a signal.

try a different cable if you have on, or swap cables, might just be one that's bad.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

According to AMD my system already has the latest drivers installed. And the AMD control center tells me my second monitor is disabled (but it isn't according to the device manager) but it still lets me switch between the two monitors, but not extend the display.

Darkewolfe wrote: »

Yup.

Literally nothing on the system has changed between last night and today, except for I had my PC plugged into the TV last night. And I guess I installed a game on steam.

Is the computer still looking for this as the 2nd monitor?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Apparently, I can only use two specific outputs on the GPU and not the other one.

Who knew.

This can be closed.

Burtletoy on