As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kind of a blah [Steam] sa.. OH GOD WOLFENSTEIN: TNO FOR $9!!

IoloIolo ioloRegistered User regular
edited November 2015 in Games and Technology
CH74Z.png

Welcome to the Steam thread!
This is a pretty neat community of people who like to talk about video games, sales, digital distribution, hat economies, classiness and classholery. We enjoy long walks on the beach, digital hoarding, gifting, the suffering of longtime members, and raising money for charity.

tpD7ltp.jpg

TrXAw.png
This is a big, busy thread. There are some guidelines to keep things nice and orderly:
  • Be civil.
  • This thread is for Steam-related discussion. Try to look for other, more appropriate threads before discussing games or other topics in here. Let's not drain other threads of precious content!
  • If you feel someone's acting inappropriately, then quietly report the responsible parties to forum mods.
  • Don't post links to active kickstarters without prior mod permission. Forum-wide rule.
  • Linking your Steam profile in your sig will help community members find you, see what kinds of games you like, invite you to MP games, etc.
  • Do not beg for games.

PA Steam Groups
We have two core Steam groups: Both of these groups have chat, and both are used sometimes to try to limit giveaways to community members. If you've just arrived, hang out here in the thread for a while and talk games with us before you ask for membership. When you do ask, include a link to your Steam profile. Steam name search is poop from a butt.
Penny Arcade is a general Steam group for folks from the PA forums.
PA G&T Adventure Team is a group that was originally created to get multi/coop going for smaller or older titles. Because it is actively moderated, a lot of folks use it as a giveaway group (to avoid problems we've had in the past with non-forumers scooping up gifts intended for the community.) Membership is locked during major sales.
HiT BiT wrote: »
Occasionally we also go on quests to slay a dragon and win the heart of a princess
The Newell needs those hearts (apparently they are used as power supply for the Steam servers).
FBalMdj.jpg

PA G&T Friday Night Game Fever!
@CorriganX had this crazy idea of getting some folks together to play games and thus Friday Night Game night began. Each week a game is posted as the Friday selection and at 9pm Eastern/6pm Pacific we all get online and fire up some multiplayer action. If there is a big enough reception, a second round of the game is usually played on Saturday or Sunday at Noon Eastern/6pm Central European so our friends from across the big drink can join us without needing to pull an all nighter. The games are typically streamed by at least one or two folks for viewing as well.
Thanks to @HiT BiT for this awesome banner!
5As4jUe.jpg

On the nature of gifting.
Sometimes people gift games.
  • Don't feel that you have to gift games to be a part of this community. It's just one of many things that go on. Some people can give lots of games. Some people can give a game or two a year. Some people make amazing images. Some people find hidden indie gems and report about them. Some people relay amazing gaming moments. Some people report sales. Some people are hysterical. Etc. There are many ways to participate in this community. Gifting is just one of them and is not required.
  • If you run a contest, have entries PMed to you. The thread gets too cluttered otherwise. You can, however, post the winning entries.
  • If you receive a gift, then take a moment to thank the gifter. Use the notification system so they can see your thank you post! ( @NAME. Use quotes around names with spaces.) See below for an example.
  • If you win a Steamgifts giveaway, in addition to thanking the gifter, be sure to mark the gift as received on Steamgifts. You tie up a gift 'slot' for the gifter until you do.
  • In addition to contests, wishlist gifting, ninja gifting, revenge gifting, pile-on gifting and Steamgifts.com giveaways, we have the new [ codes ][ /codes ] tags which can fire off one or more Steam codes (or activation links). More info about [ codes ] below.
A Steam thread participant preparing for gifting...
DuoTRts.jpg
Rare footage of a gift fight in action...
cHvcZKg.jpg

vEerB.png
Steam sales are legendary. From small to honking massive:
Daily Deals: One game a day goes on sale at 10am PT for 24 hours.
Midweek Madness: Starts 10am PT Tuesday and ends Thursday afternoon.
Weekend Sale: Starts midday Thursday and ends with the sale rollover Monday. Sometimes accompanies free play weekends for MP titles.
Publisher Sale: Many of the publishers games will get a modest discount with a single title or franchise getting a featured day with a deeper discount. Follow the big sale guidelines.
Seasonal Sales: Mardi Gras time here in the thread. Huge swaths of games go on discount, with daily specials, flash sales, community vote sales, and whatever else the evil geniuses at Valve cook up to separate us from our money. There are often metagames such as sale achievements or collectibles or other madness that rewards buying, playing and gifting games and participating in Steam's community. The summer sale usually starts in the last week of June and runs for two weeks, and the Winter sale usually runs for two weeks across Christmas and New Year's.
Other retailers like Amazon and Green Man Gaming get into the act now too, so there are often great values to be had during sales for Steam-activatable games from other sites.
Seasonal Sales are basically a big deal around this thread.
7xy5i.png
Important Note: If you are waiting for a particular game, be sure to mind the countdown timer on the game's store page. Starting Winter 2013, the last day of the sale was just a recap of top sellers. Most games went back to full price.

Steam's refund policy, Abuse section:
Refunds are designed to remove the risk from purchasing titles on Steam—not as a way to get free games. If it appears to us that you are abusing refunds, we may stop offering them to you. We do not consider it abuse to request a refund on a title that was purchased just before a sale and then immediately rebuying that title for the sale price.

FtFG8.png
How do I join the Steam groups?
Membership to the two Steam groups is for reasonably active community members. If you have been on the PA forums for a while and have participated, post a link to your Steam profile here in the thread and a Steam group mod will take care of you.
If you've been on the forums for three days during a major sale and your only posts have been to casually express your strong desire for certain games, your request is unlikely to find a positive reception. Ditto if your very first post on the forum is to ask for group membership. Sadly this does happen sometimes.
The best parts of this community are available to you now just by showing up. Read some posts, make some posts, ask to be invited as a guest to chat, buy some games, play some games, etc. Group membership is modest icing on delicious cake.

Warning: This guy's going to make you buy games. All the games.
HXxJbR7.png

How do I tag someone in the thread?
If you want to @ someone with spaces in their name, use quotation marks around the name so it looks like this:
JkmrvqB.png
Which will then turn into this:
GmuG58A.png
Oh, and if you quote text that has an @alert in it, please take a moment to remove the @ (unless you really want that person to get another notification.) Sometimes we get to chatting and someone will get 3, 4, 5+ notifications all at once.

Where are you guys getting those nifty Steam Signatures?
Check out Alabaster Slim for his lovely signature generator.

Has Game X ever been Price Y? How can I keep track of all the sales and discounts?
http://isthereanydeal.com/ is your friend. You can sync your Steam wishlist to it if you like and get notifications when prices drop. Double check that you are getting a Steam key from a 3rd party site before buying.

How do the new [codes ][ /codes] tags even work?
Put a series of Steam activation codes (or activation links, or movie quotes, or winning lottery numbers...) inside the tags, each on its own line like this (without the spaces inside the brackets, of course):
[codes ]code 1
code 2
code 3
code n[/codes]
That will create a little box with a clickable link and a number. Each forumer who clicks the link will get a popup and a PM with the next line. Each line can only be sent out once and each forumer can only click once. It was originally designed to allow developers to hand out lots of codes for a game without some goose grabbing the lot.
Just one code thingy per post!
Note: [ code ][ /code ] is a different tag. Be sure to get that "s" up in there!

Trading cards? Badges? Steam profile levels? Boosters? FOILS?! What the hell?
Some games (more every week) now have trading cards. You can earn some of these cards by playing/idling the game. Some of them you'll need to get by trading or buying them from the Steam community market. Completing a set lets you craft a badge, which gives you an emoticon, a profile wallpaper, a coupon (usually) and profile experience. Leveling up your profile increase your friend cap, earns you customization options for your Steam profile and, allegedly, increases your chances of getting a booster. Boosters are packs of three cards that show up in your inventory sometimes. You can open them or sell them on the market. Sometimes cards are foil. Each game has a regular badge with five levels and a single-level foil badge. Oh, and you must be a certain level to get your card drops.

But that's pure, diabolical evil!
Yes, that's right.

Can we trade cards in the thread?
You can but it's inefficient. Use the Steam feature that shows you which of your friends has the cards you need. Oh, and join the Steam group we created for trading cards: PA Card Sharks
Also check this handy tip:
HiT BiT wrote: »
A little Steam trading trick some of you may not be aware of:
-Go to your Steam Inventory
-Click on the "Trade Offers" button
-Then click on the "Who can send me Trade Offers?" link
-Below you will find a "Trade URL"
You can share this URL with other Steam users to allow them to directly send you a trade offer even if they aren't on your friends list.
You can share this URL anywhere, including your forum sig.
If you have shared or posted your URL and would like to stop receiving trade offers from it use the "Create New URL" button. A new Trade URL will be created turning the previous one inoperative.
AG8I4O9.jpg

Is Steam down?!
Is it Tuesday? It's probably scheduled maintenance.

It's not Tuesday. Is Steam down?!
http://issteamdown.com/

What are you people talking about? Why hats and what is an "Isy?"
Check out the handy Steam Thread Primer, written by @Smokestacks!
Steam Thread Primer:
Gaben/The Newell - Gabe Newell, Director of Valve Software. Called "Gaben" because in the commentary for older Source Engine games he would tell players to email him at "Gabe N. at valvesoftware.com" with user feedback.
Serve the Newell - To buy games on Steam, to give Gaben your money. From this comic edit.
Bad Rats - An incredibly awful 'physics' based puzzle game, available on Steam, notorious for being as awkward as it is broken. Will haunt your dreams. Popular gift to give to people.
Class - An attribute demonstrated by people who will generously purchase games and then give them to internet strangers.
Class War - When two or more forumers buy each other games back and forth until one of them gives up. I know this sounds really crazy, but it happens.
Bundle - Originally the Humble Indie Bundle, which was a "pay what you want" system for a group of games, now usually means any website selling a group of games (usually able to be registered on Steam) for a low price.
Giveaway/A Giveaway - Usually refers to a giveaway on Steamgifts.com, a website where you list a game you want to give away, people enter, and then a winner is randomly decided among all entrants after a set time period.
Hats/The Hatconomy - The purchase and sale of in-game hats or sometimes other items in TF2. Some hats are very valuable, which is funny because they are just hats for videogame characters. People who have valuable hats or other items in their inventories sometimes get messages from random people on Steam begging for those items.
Backlog - The list of games you have purchased, but have not gotten around to playing yet. Tends to grow over time, often to immense proportions. If you do not have a backlog yet, between the thread and the sales you will get one.
Spies/Russian Spies - People who lurk the thread or try to get into the various PA Steam groups not to participate in the community, but to try and get free games.
Steamsigs - Custom forum signatures that display a link to your Steam profile, as well as an image of a game you are currently playing, have played the most in the last two weeks, or have played the most over all time (if you haven't played any games on Steam in the last two weeks). Available here courtesy of forumer Suds. Having a Steam sig (or some sort of clickable link to your Steam profile in your signature) makes it considerably easier for people to add you to their friends list.
Child's Play - A charity started by the writer and artist behind PA that raises money for videogames/toys that go to children's hospitals, originally started in '03, has grown every year. Helps sick kids feel better about their time in the hospital while simultaneously refuting the idea that gamers are antisocial jerks.
Isy - Big Classy, a forumer. Formerly known as "Big Isy", he was granted the new name after donating a hefty amount of money to Child's Play during a fundraiser. Sometimes referred to as Isy, which might cause confusion to people who haven't been around very long.
Summer Dale - A phone's auto-correction of "Summer Sale", which through some sort of internet voodoo produced an actual entity, a smooth voiced funk loving man who lives in a world where the 80s reign eternal and supreme. Also sometimes used to describe the upcoming Summer Sale itself.
Rainbow and/or Slash - Two forumers by the name of Rainbowdespair and slash000 who are notable for developing the third and fourth installments of the Penny Arcade: On the Rainslick Precipice of Darkness series. Also developed Breath of Death VII and Cthulu Saves the World, two RPGs that, along with the Rainslick games, are available on Steam.
Also, sometimes shit gets real. Like that time we all murdered each other for bloodsport games. And there was a kabob conspiracy and a kind of Cthulhu bunny. @akajaybay took us down that particular rabbit hole. ;)

Why are you people obsessed with Bad Rats and Amnesia?
A moment of ill-advised swagger from anoffday turned into a horrifying LP of Bad Rats which, because reasons, turned into over $6000 raised for Child's Play.
CorriganX raised over $1100 for Child's Play via Amnesia.

Classy Christmas
We raised $11,903 dollars for charity in December 2013 and another $9,248 in December 2014!
Fanda wrote: »
For our Christmas fundraiser to restore TychoCelchuuu's threadmaking privileges (and help the kids), I donated to Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children. This week I received a nice letter from them! I figured I'd share part of it with y'all, since this applies to all of you at least as much as it does to me.
1tKH5n0.jpg

What is this Steamgifts site? I wish to create a giveaway! I cannot enter a giveaway!
Steamgifts is a neat site that lets people create giveaways for games on Steam. Points for entering giveaways are accumulated over time, so just wait a bit if you need points. Entry to giveaways can be limited by Steam group membership to prevent mooches from getting games.

How do I make one of those cool Steam Gifts signature giveaway banners?
sy4TZKS.jpg

What are all these bundles you people keep talking about?
In addition to Steam sales and sales of Steam keys on other sites and gifts, we live in a golden age of bundles! Bundle sites sell batches of games for modest amounts of money, often as low as a few dollars. Many, but not all, contribute to charity and many, but not all, give you Steam keys for the games. Sometimes you'll buy an indie gem that isn't even on Steam, and later when arrives on Steam you will get a key through the bundle site. Be careful if you plan to gift some of the games, as sometimes the bundled games will come in a single Steam key. We have a separate bundles thread.

I have too many games! Which do I play?
Steam Roulette randomly picks a game for you to play.

I have too many games! How do I move them to my new hard drive?
Steam Mover makes transporting your massive library much easier.

But wait! I have ALL OF THE GAMES installed! I need more space on my hard drive! wat i do?
You download Tikione Steam Cleaner and clean up that shit
Steam Cleaner also available through GitHub!

Okay that helped. Now I have more room for stuff. Free stuff.
Isorn wrote: »
Someone on a steam forum made [url="http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/29711524/#Comment_29711524"a nice list of all free DLC you can add to your steam account[/url] if you have the base-game but that thread is currently not available so I figure I post it here. Since it is pretty easy to miss some of these.

The sale prices aren't right! What's going on?! Oh God, the darkness is closing in...
During the seasonal sales, you are one of a million monkeys hammering F5 at 10am PT to see the new sales. The system is always borked for 5-20 minutes. Take a deep breath. The Newell will deliver, and the new dailies will be available for 48 hours.

Why are some games not available in my region?
Publishers determine what countries get what games. Someone in a suit decided that it wasn't worth the money to make the game available to your region, so it isn't available on Steam. This also applies to cases of games having edited/censored versions showing up on Steam in certain countries. The good news is that you can generally get around this by having someone from another region gift or trade you the game.

Steam is downloading slowly. What gives?
You can head to Steam -> Settings -> Downloads + Cloud and change your download region until things improve. Since other regions are typically less populated, you will probably get somewhat better results even if the new server is in another country.

I enjoy watching video game streams. Where can I find some streamers that call the Steam Thread home?
@Houn has made a hub for finding Steam Thread Streamers.

The Steam thread has a proud tradition of marrying our love of Steam and Penny Arcade in comic edits:
bD8gL2K.jpg

GALLERY OF EDITS:
steamregulator.jpg
iY7panG.jpg
bMIeuhI.png
aSk8AG9.jpg
aRGlP3q.jpg
9TMSa4K.jpg
PYjq4jb.jpg
PIB2a8t.jpg
iiYKGKcEuBpMA.jpg
inByKXRaayKRe.png
jLuh0Pk.jpg
isUW4BUY7nMzO.jpg
Q0oMnZf.jpg
ibdcvjc2MO3gTb.png
ibxLHlG35kActf.jpg
WJCwEce.jpg
n6r4F.jpg
tMRzb.jpg
xHlDY.jpg
JG9rG.jpg
steamgifting.jpg
coupons.jpg
P9CBk.jpg
steamprayer.jpg
trainsj.jpg
LHrXd.png
l4W8s.jpg
utsgVf8.jpg
OzUXXKz.png
t514P8g.jpg
2015-04-22-Bargain-Bane.jpg

QJkrjHM.jpg

Lt. Iolo's First Day
Steam profile.
Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
Iolo on

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    House of Steam Cards courtesy of @Jragghen.
    dLB1cpg.png
    All images lovingly stolen from Valve because I'm terrible at photoshop
    So you own a lot of games. But they're just sitting there in your backlog, doing nothing for you. Do you know what you need? Steam Trading Cards So you've got that game that you want to get, but are just a dollar short in your Steam Wallet and can't bring yourself to pull out the credit card. Do you know what you need? Steam Trading Cards So you like the Steam Community, but think your profile is kinda drab. Do you know what you need? Steam. Trading. Cards. About a year and a half ago, Valve introduce this little meta-game into the Steam Community called Steam Trading Cards, which has since been added to Literally thousands of games. In order to get your cards, you need to play your games - crazy concept for people in this thread, I know. As you play the game, cards will periodically appear in your inventory until you've gotten all drops available for that game - always half of a complete set. Free to Play games work a little differently, where you get 1 drop every $9 USD (appx) spent in the game.
    02.png?v=3
    So now you've got your cards, the question is what to do with them. Well, there's three main options:
    • Sell them on the market
    • Build a full set of cards
    • Trade/gift them with/to friends
    The market works like a stock market - you'll put yours up for sale at whatever price you're looking for, and buyers can list the prices they're interested in buying cards at. There's even historical data for the card available on the card's page if you check before listing, so don't just list it for 3 cents, or whatever the current cheapest one is. Maybe you can make more of a profit!
    kYPGiji.pngd67yQvS.png
    If you want to build a full set, you just do the same, but in reverse! Click the buy button, choose the amount you want to pay for the card, and then let the buy order sit until a match can be found. If one already exists, you'll get it immediately, or if you choose a price cheaper than what's listed, you'll get it when someone lists it. Higher prices take priority in the queue, so if you make one for 10 cents, and there's another buy order for 15 cents, if a card is listed for 10 cents, the 15 cent listing will take priority. And obviously, you've got to already have the money in your wallet in order for the order to take place. Once you've got that set built, you can go and craft a badge. Go to the "Badges" page under your profile dropdown, and you should see something like this:
    EFKnKt9.png
    Clicking the "ready" button will cause a silly little animation to play, and you'll be rewarded with a badge. Badges are little bling for your profile to show that you've crafted a badge.
    03.png?v=4
    Each badge can be leveled up to level 5 (so 5 complete sets of cards), with the exception of foil badges, which can only be crafted once. Foil badges are crafted from foil cards, which drop in place of normal cards approximately 1% of the time. In addition to your badges, you'll get emoticons, coupons, and profile backgrounds for the game in question.
    07.png?v=306.png?v=2
    Truthfully, emoticons are mostly useless because the messenger window is so tiny, although there's a few which are worthwhile. Coupons can be hit or miss - their value varies from 25% or so at the low end to as much as 90% (although those are obviously more rare), but tend to be on the sorts of games which are on the weeklong deals. It's rare to get a coupon for a real AAA game. That being said, they are discounts, and discounts are always nice. Backgrounds, on the other hand, can be applied to your profile, and some of those are simply excellent artwork.
    52b78da6ab5602292e43928bb3822d892c7c7c0a.jpg39390fed1f87c46ae85017ffbcd13ab8fa4af6f6.jpg
    Also, each card (if you click on them) has much more detailed artwork themselves, and once you've crafted a badge, you can access that artwork regardless of whether or not you have the card. Some of these are super nice!
    7d60caf3b9e443ee8459e3f1a38cdb894be8d9d6.jpg218a3d636ae52473b61bde10d0c2c2766d6fc35e.jpgtBRr69D.jpg
    In addition to this, you get 100 XP. That's right, Steam itself is a game now! As you gain experience points, your Steam account will level up. Levels 0-10 cost 100XP per level, 11-20 cost 200XP, and so on and so forth. Every 10 levels, you get 5 more spots on your friends list added, and the ability to add new sections to your profile.
    09.png?v=210.png?v=2
    And finally, being higher level increases your chances of getting booster packs. Once you've gotten all card drops for a given game, any time anyone crafts a badge, a booster pack is generated and given to someone, somewhere in the world who is eligible for that game. Booster packs can be sold like items, or opened to get 3 cards (which could include foils, but once more only 1% odds). At level 10 you get a 20% boost to your chances, level 20 a 40% boost, and so on and so forth. So as you level up, you'll get booster packs much more frequently. Now, buying cards isn't the only way to get cards. You can trade them, too! If you go to the badge page for a badge you're looking for, and scroll below the cards, there will be a listing of people on your friends list who have the cards you're missing.
    qMDt60c.png
    You can then submit a trade or send a message to any of them to see what they'd want. And if none of your friends have cards, there's a number of places you can go to try to find trades, which will save you money in the long run, since Valve and the developer don't take their cut of the transaction of buying a card.
    Steam Gems
    360fx360f
    But now you've got all these emoticons and backgrounds which you don't want, but you don't necessarily want to sell. Well, you can turn them into gems! In your inventory, there should be a numerical amount of how many gems your items are worth - they vary from very low numbers to 100 gems, based off of prevalence in the market. Foil cards are the only items that can go for over 100 gems, as they're always 10x the value of normal cards. The more common an item is in the market, the more gems they're worth. These values were set in the Holiday 2014 sale, and may be rebalanced at some point. Why turn items into gems? Well, you can use gems to craft booster packs! These booster packs can be opened for more cards (and an additional shot at a foil), or sold on the marketplace, presumably for fun and profit.
    But what about special sales?
    JLYhT5i.jpg
    Well, it will change from sale to sale, so I'll refrain from giving specific advice. However, the following rules seem to be the standards anymore
    • There will be special badges for the sale, with 10 cards per level
    • The badge can be leveled up infinitely, including the foil badge. Some of these go up STUPID high. For example, here is the Holiday Sale 2013 badge for level 2000+: e041163b0c4d5cba61fb54612973612636cdd970.png
    • You will get one card for every set of other cards you craft, in place of coupons
    • You will get one card for every $10 you spend in the store.
    • You will get one card for per day when you vote in the User Choice poll (number of times will vary depending on number of polls per day).
    • Cards will expire one day after the sale ends, so they must be sold or crafted by then, or they will disappear.
    • In some sales (NOT the Winter 2014 sale), you will get some bonus item for a free to play game which can be redeemed for your account or sold if you craft a sale badge, 3 items if it's a foil.
    This past summer, there was another metagame where everyone was split into teams, so it was potentially better to hold onto your cards. This past holiday, there was an auction prior to the sale starting, so crafting early would have been a benefit as you'd have more items to make more gems to bid. Holiday 2013, there was just items and some of them were quire rare and valuable, so crafting as soon as possible was the best option. I'd recommend taking a stance of "wait and see," particularly for the first morning of the sale - Steam gets hammered at the start of the sale, and it's not uncommon for item drops to get screwed up if you craft around update (10am PST). Either commit to being early, or wait until the rush has passed. So that's the long and short of it. If you've got any questions, feel free to PM me. Some other resources for you to check out:

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Woo, new thread!

It's like getting a new pair of socks.

New socks are awesome.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I feel like playing games with people. Anyone else? I would love to get a few people tonight around 9EST

In case anyone else in interested, going to try to make it myself.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Can I just say you guys saved this birthday? Like I'm not even exaggerating, it has been horrendous here. I booked the week offwork for it since it was a big one and I'd been working non stop for around 3weeks stints with one day off in between. I was gonna treat myself to a whole bunch of shit and my sister was gonna come stay over.

Yeah, none of that shit happened. I'm sick on my first day off, family all go out despite remembering it's my birthday and I just decided to sleep the fucker away instead of wallowing.

You guys just killed it though. Every waking moment was met with another gift on Steam or a message in chat or private message. Thanks for being there <3

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Oooh I just got an email from Choice of Games about their latest steam release, Deathless: The City’s Thirst. It's of the same Craft series as Choice of the Deathless, which I thought was bloody stellar and promptly devoured all four associated novels by the same author.

This one appears to be about getting a water system set up for Dresediel Lex which, if you're familiar with the series, is the basis of the power of The Red King - an immortal craftman skeleton that broke the Gods on their own altars and claimed the city as his own. In short: HELL. YES.

@Drake I recall you being a fan of the first one, so this might be up your alley too.

steam_sig.png
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    I feel like playing games with people. Anyone else? I would love to get a few people tonight around 9EST

In case anyone else in interested, going to try to make it myself.

Depending on what games are chosen and who's aboot after 2030 PST, I may be in for some SNG as well.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Done with Tales from Borderlands. Overall, pretty disappointed.

First two episodes were fantastic, just started caring less and less as the last three dragged on.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

First two episodes were fantastic, just started caring less and less as the last three dragged on.

I disagree. Freaking Borderlands game made me tear up a few times overall.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

I disagree. Freaking Borderlands game made me tear up a few times overall.
    Borderlands 2 almost made me do that, funnily enough.
    With the events in Angel's core and Brick and Moty's apparent sacrifice near the end.

Didn't really care about most of the cast outside of Fiona and Loader Bot though.

Loader Bot was the MVP of the series. Wonder if they always planned for him to have such a big role.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Rebel Galaxy has gotten much better! The tutorial is woefully inadequate for all the options available to you! Keep on upgrading that ship and magic keeps happening! I upgraded my guns, shields, engines and so on and now my starter ship is really feeling powerful! Plus trading with a merchant you cross paths with midwarp? Check. Turning a mine field around on the enemy? Check. Saving a merchant in trouble just to turn around and pirate his cargo? Yeup. And I haven't left the first solar system yet. It really has a looot to do!

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • ShadeShade Registered User regular
    @Viking ... I am regretting breaking the truce.

j7d51yent4lq.jpg

Wait, is this actually another birthday or a "Shade birthday?" (read: everyday)

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    SO SHINY! SO CHROME!

• Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    So far we have @Karoz @destroyah87 @Descendant X @Ed Gruberman and @Corpekata

Anyone have anything in particular they want to play? Anything that will handle 5 people?

This is probably a decent starting point:
    https://steamcompanion.com/games/index.php?steamID=ed_gruberman&steamID=DescendantX&steamID=Corpekata&steamID=destroyah87&steamID=Karoz13&action=0

EDIT: Actually I guess if it's starting at 9EST we can start with 4

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    @viking is a big dumb australian jerk who gifted me Rebel Galaxy FOR NO GOOD REASON AT ALL. Also his stupid solar panels are dumb as a butt.

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Real Birthday for Isy.

But it is everyone elses un-birthday!

Bedlam wrote: »
    Real Birthday for Isy.

But it is everyone elses un-birthday!

Its officially not! YAY! Wait. @cardboard delusions seems to have missed it!

UozKluM.png

Anyone have anything in particular they want to play? Anything that will handle 5 people?

https://steamcompanion.com/games/index.php?steamID=ed_gruberman&steamID=DescendantX&steamID=Corpekata&steamID=destroyah87&steamID=Karoz13&action=0

Torchlight 2 looks like the easiest to add a 5th to, not sure about the numbers on many of these other multiplayer games though.

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

Torchlight 2 looks like the easiest to add a 5th to, not sure about the numbers on many of these other multiplayer games though.

iirc, Depth supports 5 player matches. 2 sharks, 3 divers. But not all five of the interested players own Depth. I know a lot of the common games have 4 player multiplayer max.

steam_sig.png
    It's 4 divers vs 2 sharks but bots do a good job making up the difference. Didn't see Depth on the list though.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Running around 10 hours. Still playing Dota 2 cause I wasn't feeling too well after my sandwich, it just seemed easy.

Also my friend gifted me Vermintide but holy shit does that eat CPU. Like wowza. I can't stream it at all, I'll have to turn down the resolution and graphics quality, AS WELL as my stream settings to even try to.

Games Workshop needs to do some optimization badly on that bad boy. Although, if I'm not streaming I can run it on Extreme without FPS drops... which is just weird. I'll play it after the marathon is over.

• CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    I think I'll take myself out of the running for that group honestly. Most of the common games are older ones I've played the shit out of by now so don't know if I'd be really down for it much.

edited October 2015
    Corpekata wrote: »
    I think I'll take myself out of the running for that group honestly. Most of the common games are older ones I've played the shit out of by now so don't know if I'd be really down for it much.

Alright, well that puts the list to:
    Torchlight 2
    Left 4 Dead 2
    Magicka
    Borderlands 2
    Borderlands TPS
    Don't Starve Together
    Rocket League?
    Endless Legend
    Civilization 5
    Terraria?
    Awesomnauts?
    Endless Space

? next to ones I'm unsure will work. May have missed some.

Karoz on
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    I'm good for pretty much anything, but can only play until about 7:50 PST.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »

Alright, well that puts the list to:
    Torchlight 2
    Left 4 Dead 2
    Magicka
    Borderlands 2
    Borderlands TPS
    Don't Starve Together
    Rocket League?
    Endless Legend
    Civilization 5
    Terraria?
    Awesomnauts?
    Endless Space

? next to ones I'm unsure will work. May have missed some.

I would be down for any of those without question except Terraria. Though I've not played Endless Legend, Engless Space, Don't Starve Together, and Awesomnauts any at all.

steam_sig.png
  • SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Rocket League works with up to 8 people. If there's an odd number of people the game adds a bot to one of the teams. I'm down for that if it ends up being the chosen one.

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
    Sumanai wrote: »
    Rocket League works with up to 8 people. If there's an odd number of people the game adds a bot to one of the teams. I'm down for that if it ends up being the chosen one.

It's been decided this is what we'll be doing. We have 3 playing and a 4 to join shortly (not including @Sumanai --yet) so we'll have room for 3 more people.

Come join us for Rocket League!

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Running around 10 hours. Still playing Dota 2 cause I wasn't feeling too well after my sandwich, it just seemed easy.

Also my friend gifted me Vermintide but holy shit does that eat CPU. Like wowza. I can't stream it at all, I'll have to turn down the resolution and graphics quality, AS WELL as my stream settings to even try to.

Games Workshop needs to do some optimization badly on that bad boy. Although, if I'm not streaming I can run it on Extreme without FPS drops... which is just weird. I'll play it after the marathon is over.

Koopah's streaming now, playing some Titan Souls while waiting for a big installer to download.

Come watch!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Hmm. I'd probably have a higher opinion of Murder if I hadn't played Badass Inc first. Many similarities: both 2D cyberpunk point & clickers; both with well-done pixel art, albeit in different styles; both with good atmospheric soundtracks; both with exceptional world-building despite their very brief running times that makes me want to explore their worlds much. much further. But different in other ways: Murder played itself entirely straight (to the point of po-facedness), while Badass Inc had a wry sense of humour; Murder was more interested in telling its short story at the expense of mechanics, while Badass Inc mixed its story (which felt like a chapter inside a bigger story, and in a comfortable and satisfying way) with some genuine point & click adventure style gameplay. Murder feels like a game jam creation; Badass Inc actually is one.

Murder did a lot well, considering; but I think Badass Inc did more, and did it significantly better, albeit with a rather different narrative tone. And doesn't charge you money for the privilege of playing it. And is a prototype for a bigger game to come in the future.

So, I liked Murder. It was alright. But Badass Inc is seriously one of my favourite games of the year. Just a shame about its iffy title, really.

I think I'm sneaking up on the end of Remember Me.

I adore the world, the art, the music. Nilin is awesome. The backstory is amazing. I really want to see how all this turns out.

... but goddamn if the game is just not fun to actually play. The fights range from tedious to boring and I groan a little any time I walk into an area that's clearly a battle arena (you quickly learn to recognize these at a glance).

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    I think I'm sneaking up on the end of Remember Me.

I adore the world, the art, the music. Nilin is awesome. The backstory is amazing. I really want to see how all this turns out.

... but goddamn if the game is just not fun to actually play. The fights range from tedious to boring and I groan a little any time I walk into an area that's clearly a battle arena (you quickly learn to recognize these at a glance).

Ouch, I am kinda thinking of putting that next on my list.... But might find something else instead.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    It's still worth playing to experience the story and world. Besides, others may enjoy the combat more than me.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Jazz wrote: »
    Hmm. I'd probably have a higher opinion of Murder if I hadn't played Badass Inc first. Many similarities: both 2D cyberpunk point & clickers; both with well-done pixel art, albeit in different styles; both with good atmospheric soundtracks; both with exceptional world-building despite their very brief running times that makes me want to explore their worlds much. much further. But different in other ways: Murder played itself entirely straight (to the point of po-facedness), while Badass Inc had a wry sense of humour; Murder was more interested in telling its short story at the expense of mechanics, while Badass Inc mixed its story (which felt like a chapter inside a bigger story, and in a comfortable and satisfying way) with some genuine point & click adventure style gameplay. Murder feels like a game jam creation; Badass Inc actually is one.

Murder did a lot well, considering; but I think Badass Inc did more, and did it significantly better, albeit with a rather different narrative tone. And doesn't charge you money for the privilege of playing it. And is a prototype for a bigger game to come in the future.

So, I liked Murder. It was alright. But Badass Inc is seriously one of my favourite games of the year. Just a shame about its iffy title, really.

I think I'll have to disagree about the mechanics.
    Murder deliberately subverts adventure game mechanics to reinforce the themes of isolation and lack of agency. This is thematically consistent with cyberpunk and works with the other elements of the game to build a bigger picture. It's not a conventional approach to a game but that's great. There are tons of conventional games.

I've looked at a little at Badass Inc, but it seems to have completely different goals. It's looking to generate a nostalgic feeling for what I think of as surface cyberpunk. Lots of cyber and neon, very little if any punk and ultimately not much to think about outside of pixel hunting and inventory puzzles. These kinds of things are fun, but there are loads of these kind of all aesthetic but no brains cyberpunk. Murder is probably one of the more authentically cyberpunk games around. Does this mean it's the most fun game set in the genre ever? No, but it definitely found a place for me that has been empty. This is gameplay that informs the story in an important way, instead of granting the illusion of agency so the player can escape for a while. Murder has more in common with Gone Home or Thirty Flights of Loving than it does with Badass Inc.

edit: And c'mon Murder isn't that straight faced, did you catch the voice acting on the cops? That was straight out of early 90s English dubbed anime. Straight up Manga Video. You gotta admit that is pretty silly. It's subtle, but Murder has its sense of fun too. :D

Also, I really did enjoy Badass Inc. I'll be picking up the full game when it comes out.

Drake on
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Titan Souls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rf9khR4vLc

It's two buttons. Dodge and shoot/recall arrow. There's no enemies in the game but the bosses. Every boss dies in one hit, but so do you. The thing is that bosses are HUGE and each have different gimmicks that involve moving the arrow in a certain way or using your environment. It's crazy hard, but beating a boss is incredibly satisfying. I'm enjoying it a ton out of the four games that my friend/mod Squares gave me. Definitely the most streamable because it's just constant tense boss battles. It's a surprising amount of fun.

KoopahTroopah on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Yeah Titan Souls is intense.

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I am temporarily downgraded from my gaming laptop to my 6 year old netbook. There is not enough room on the tiny hard drive for Steam, let alone a game, but it will let me chat on facebook and stream netflix. Stupid laptop all being too big for my bag and too expensive to want to check. At least I will have my 3DS for gaming and my kindle for reading.

And as a "bonus" I will be picking up a powerful laptop, but it is a work laptop so I can't use it for anything fun. LAME!

Also, after using Vista, 7, and 8, Windows XP looks super weird and retro.

It hasn't even started yet, and this business trip can't end soon enough.

camo_sig2.png
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Titan Souls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rf9khR4vLc

It's two buttons. Dodge and shoot/recall arrow. There's no enemies in the game but the bosses. Every boss dies in one hit, but so you do. The thing is that bosses are HUGE are each have different gimmicks that involve moving the arrow in a certain way or using your environment. It's crazy hard, but beating a boss is incredibly satisfying. I'm enjoying it a ton out of the four games that my friend/mod Squares gave me. Definitely the most streamable because it's just constant tense boss battles. It's a surprising amount of fun.
    I think I saw at least two bosses that were pretty much literally bosses from Wind Waker.

We're 4 hours into the 25th here in the uk but that doesn't stop @kalnaur from finding that loophole to gift a birthday present! Thanks mate!

ICDUsj4.png

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    I am temporarily downgraded from my gaming laptop to my 6 year old netbook. There is not enough room on the tiny hard drive for Steam, let alone a game, but it will let me chat on facebook and stream netflix. Stupid laptop all being too big for my bag and too expensive to want to check. At least I will have my 3DS for gaming and my kindle for reading.

And as a "bonus" I will be picking up a powerful laptop, but it is a work laptop so I can't use it for anything fun. LAME!

Also, after using Vista, 7, and 8, Windows XP looks super weird and retro.

It hasn't even started yet, and this business trip can't end soon enough.

What are the specs? Steam will run from a USB stick. Also new smartphone, checked mobile app, yep still can't groupchat. Balls.

Happy birthday @Big Classy

This discussion has been closed.