As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Duelyst] pretty much Hearthstone tactics

rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
edited January 2016 in Games and Technology
Just discovered this game in open beta, fresh off of a modest but successful kickstarter

https://duelyst.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w-XKpBVrVA

I was a big fan of MTG tactics back in the day and this scratches that itch, except without the MTG cruft and terrible interface. This is basically "Hearthstone Tactics". Card drawing gameplay where you summon units on a 2d grid, with your "wizard" being a unit on the board as well.

It has Hearthstone's auto-incrementing mana with a couple of Scrolls' better features. You draw 2 cards a turn and you can also cycle one card in your hand every turn greatly decreasing the frustrations of a bad draw.

Duelyst user names of people on this board - if you want to be added here PM me or say so in a post:

acpduel --> me, feel free to friend in game to ask questions
TheGerm -->jergarmar

referral codes to get some good streamers some more stuff, add them when making an account to get 100 extra gold which is a pack:

Cynosure
GrincherZ

rembrandtqeinstein on

• VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    This is by one of the original Xcom brothers if I remember the kick starter correctly. I'll definitely have to give it a look.

Vechloran.png
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    So I was in the alpha of this and gave up after ten minutes because it was literally unplayable. Like, menus popping up dropped the frame rate to single digits. What's it like now?

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I played the tutorial and one online game with a premade deck. pretty slick!

it'd be nice if it was more clear what each general's cards were like somewhere but it's not something you can't figure out with a few extra clicks.

edit - about to read this http://forums.duelyst.com/t/duelyst-official-player-guide-updated-sept-22/12826

teehee I played my single game as Vanar (with the pre made decks) and won it and it turns out that's for advanced players. clearly a prodigy.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Abyssian is the best control deck garbage and makes great use of the tactical board.

Summon garbage. Hide behind it like a coward, summon a Deathwatch card and turn hordes of garbage into value town.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I like this.

Only problem I can see is how much it copies Hearthstone... That's a bit boring.

21stCentury on
    Honestly it's mostly business model and mana ramp.

If it copied hearthstone a bunch I'd probably hate it.

Abyssian is the best control deck garbage and makes great use of the tactical board.

Summon garbage. Hide behind it like a coward, summon a Deathwatch card and turn hordes of garbage into value town.

yeah I just did a daily quest to play 4 games with them... won 3 and one was directly after blowing up 6 1/1s after dropping 2 of the deathwatch dudes. so gooooooooood.

• Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    So I was in the alpha of this and gave up after ten minutes because it was literally unplayable. Like, menus popping up dropped the frame rate to single digits. What's it like now?
    Definitely not anywhere near that bad. I started playing a couple weeks ago and there are still some technical problems (particularly a nasty desynch issue that causes about one in five games to shit the bed), but nothing like you're describing.

My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
    I haven't had any problems personally.

I guess I'm pretty much just gonna keep grinding quests until/unless I can eventually convince myself to buy packs. I like the game and I'm getting matches super fast so there's definitely a community for it and I'm not one to hesitate about dropping a few bucks on a game I'm enjoying. playing the pre built decks is fun already but some of those cards are suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper appealing.

if anyone wants to play or just add a friend let me know... I'm Vari but idk if there's other info required.

• CroakerCroaker Registered User regular
    I have a ton of time in Duelyst and its one of my favorite games at the moment.

The changes they have made to card balance and factions over the course of the alpha and beta have really impressed me.

If you're feeling like it, saving gold for Gauntlet runs will get you slightly better rewards if you can string a few wins together. Otherwise you earn gold at a much faster rate than similar titles and shouldn't feel shy about spending it on orbs.

Variable wrote: »

yeah I just did a daily quest to play 4 games with them... won 3 and one was directly after blowing up 6 1/1s after dropping 2 of the deathwatch dudes. so gooooooooood.

Shadow Watcher is probably the worst Deathwatch in the game too because of how easy it can be to spot remove or silence.

Just wait till you get some of the other stuff.

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    i didn't know there was a thread for this game. i had a lot of issues similar to @gaslight however the times where there weren't problems the game was great. i was waiting around for the standalone client (instead of in browser) to release to jump back in. then unfortunately stuff happened and i didn't get back to it. i really want to start playing this again

while there are random effects, and it is a "card game" it feels less luck based than other games out there. i haven't played enough to determine how much more skill based this is than other games but it definitely seems that way.

WingedWeasel on
  • SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    This is a pretty sweet game, Vari linked to it in the hearthstone thread and I've been hooked on it all day. Did a few challenges then some ranked with the basic Lyonar as it looked most straight forward. Those silverguard squires and knights are so easy to cheese with, went 10 in a row and into silver just mulliganing for them essentially; I'm assuming that won't fly for much longer.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm weak for this sort of game. Of course, I've always bought into and been let down by something like ten similar games in the last two years.

What is this I don't even.
    edited October 2015
    I did all of the challenges I could and then finished my 2 daily quests (I think I missed out on one because I assumed it'd stack to 3, woops!)

you really do get gold pretty fast

edit - there seems to be no way to check your faction levels. that's unfortunate.

trying to pick a faction to focus on. I guess leveling them to 11 gets you a pack? so maybe I'll just grind them all up now that I cleared the challenges. then I will likely pick 1-2 and disenchant some other stuff so I can put something solid together.

Variable on
    I played for a bit. It's a neat game, but i don't think it's particularly expandable. If you added too much more complexity or fluidity of movement, the charm of the hex system would start to wane.

Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I played for a bit. It's a neat game, but i don't think it's particularly expandable. If you added too much more complexity or fluidity of movement, the charm of the hex system would start to wane.

I didn't participate in the original kickstarter (didn't know it existed), but I saw somewhere that the original intent was a single standalone release. After the kickstarter ended they switched to the ccg model because they felt they could release more/better content that way.

What makes you say the hex system would lose its charm with more stuff?

Well, before too long to have new compelling ccg content you have to keep adding different movement or attack range types. I think that would gum up the hex combat by "breaking all the old rules." And the hex combat is the unique part of this particular game.

Maybe? Not knowing anything about the company or how they intend for the game to look several "expansions" in I could see it going either way.

• Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    This game is surprisingly solid. It has a reasonable amount of depth for how fast-paced it is.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
    I don't think different ranges would be a problem honestly.

Like, the game already has creatures that can move or attack anywhere on the board (flying and ranged respectively) so I can't imagine something in between is going to some how break the game. They've already broken all the rules in that regard.

Plus there's plenty of key words they could experiment with that add to the tactics rather than diminish them. Stuff like slow fields, push effects with more restrictions than Repulsor beast and charge attacks all add to positional play.

Man the rarer cards are stupidly powerful. I'm not a big fan of making rare cards so powerful that they render everything else obsolete.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
    I'm sure there's plenty of awesome ones but I've had enough fun on ranked ladder with the premade decks that it's not something I see as a problem in this game

The game has a pretty big issue with chase rares. Though outside of legendaries they're not too expensive.

Are they going to reset after beta?

Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Are they going to reset after beta?

they did one (maybe two?) resets already. dunno if they have anymore planned.

edited October 2015
    Man the rarer cards are stupidly powerful. I'm not a big fan of making rare cards so powerful that they render everything else obsolete.
    Card power in relation to rarity seems on par with most tcgs, for better or worse. Most high-end decks run a pretty even combination of rarities, although some deck types are going to require you to shell out.

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
    The gauntlet's a ton of fun and the rewards are very generous. It helps that you can run it every two days if you do the quests and win a few games each day. Even at 4 wins I got 70 gold which is already almost half of the price of another run.

The gauntlet's a ton of fun and the rewards are very generous. It helps that you can run it every two days if you do the quests and win a few games each day. Even at 4 wins I got 70 gold which is already almost half of the price of another run.

Is the gauntlet now open everyday? It was only Wednesdays previously

No idea.

• RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Vari/Sensational - is this game for me?

@roz I would try it out. I think the single player puzzle type things + the tutorial will tell you the answer to that. I legit like it a lot, I think it's really well designed and satisfying to play (the little things that hearthstone gets right. it's actually fun to click for attacks and whatnot, hits feel like they have weight)

I wish there were more puzzles.

edited October 2015
    Just went 9-1 in the gauntlet. Hailstorm Prison seems insanely powerful. Quite often it is just straight removal for 2 mana.

Grey Paladin on
  • rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    just checked back in the thread, people are finding this one

I went 0-3 in gauntlet today because of 3 opponents with insane decks, 2 magmar opponents thatboth had the 5/5 deal 2 to all other minon drops to wipe my board, and one lyonar you played the cliff golem taunt guy then gave him attack+health and just wrecked me because I didn't draw any of the 5 hard removal from my deck

but the game is still fun

in my less-than-week playing opinion magmar appears to be the most powerful faction since it has all of the tools in its class cards: big creatures, burst, silence, hard removal, AOE, and solid early game

second is lyonar with the solid midgame taunts, buffs, and heals

other factions seem to depend on specific rare/legends to work with vanar being highly card dependent to function because of the synergies

my favorite is shaping up to be vetruvian or vanar because they are the most "tech" and im a sucker for slick combo/value plays even if they aren't the most powerful

• stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    I started playing two days a ago and man is this fun. At the lower levels people just don't seem to get the positioning part at all. Winning against custom decks with the starter ones feels good. I have already opened some legendaries to. Are legends restricted one copy of the card per deck or is that just my hearthstone experience betraying me?

steam_sig.png
    stopgap wrote: »
    I started playing two days a ago and man is this fun. At the lower levels people just don't seem to get the positioning part at all. Winning against custom decks with the starter ones feels good. I have already opened some legendaries to. Are legends restricted one copy of the card per deck or is that just my hearthstone experience betraying me?
    You can have more than one legendary in a deck. There are no real deck building restrictions beyond faction locking and 3 max copies of a card, at least as far as I can tell.

• rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    Blue map wrote: »
    stopgap wrote: »
    You can have more than one legendary in a deck. There are no real deck building restrictions beyond faction locking and 3 max copies of a card, at least as far as I can tell.

The 3 legends a deck thing is something I really don't like. Its way too punishing for newer players considering multiples of some legends are staples of "meta relavent" decks.

But other than that the most important thing appears to be to collect your class commons.

edited October 2015
    finally got my first faction to lvl 11. I appreciate the rewards, two packs for a fairly easy grind (I took a bunch of days away from the game, not for any particular reason)

found a list for a fairly cheap lyonar deck that I'm probably gonna focus my spirit on once I finish leveling the other classes to 11. I keep stopping myself from doing that and then looking at my collection and wanting to disenchant stuff to make a better deck but I don't even know which faction I like most yet. so then I remember to go level to 11 haha.

I did really dig lyonar, it seems very straightforward and up my alley as far as archetypes but I don't doubt at all that I'll enjoy the others too. at least a couple of them. songhai is not really my thing but it's still very satisfying to do loads of dmg.

edit - at some point I earned a gauntlet ticket and damn this is fun. picked magmar. making huge minions is fun, who'd have thought? but I think rebirth is my favorite thing so far :D

Variable on
    edited October 2015
    I'm either really good at this game (unlikely - I'm bad at vidya games) or really lucky. I ran the arena some 20 times using all of the cash you get from completing puzzles/winning your first 20? games. Most runs ended with me going 3/3 or 4/3. 3 ended with me winning 9 times. Hailstone Prison is really strong and people don't seem to understand this.

Grey Paladin on