As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kind of a blah [Steam] sa.. OH GOD WOLFENSTEIN: TNO FOR $9!!

• VeganVegan Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    signature.png

Congratulations @Vegan you will be remembered!

Please remember to mark it as received on steamgifts.

Thanks! And to remember YOU, I will always celebrate today as DoctorArch Day.

steam_sig.png
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Shade wrote: »
    Yeah, the only thing that was actually missing was the .exe itself.

It just struck me as a really weird and random thing for Steam to do.

did your antivirus quarantine it on accident?

That'd be my bet as well, though it's unusual for AV to quarantine signed (I'm assuming Capcom signs their executables) files that have been on a system for a while. AV geeking in spoilers.
    Basically no AV program relies solely on signatures any more. There are way too many new threats coming out and too many obfuscation techniques in use for that to be worth it. Every real-time AV program is going to have a second layer of scanning where they look at characteristics of the file (is this signed, is it trying to run out of a temporary folder, is it less than a week old, etc) and try to make best-guess convictions based on that.

When GoG Galaxy hit beta, and suddenly I had a brand-new program on my system doing nothing but downloading tons of newly-created executables, my AV software lit up like the Fourth of July. I had to submit a bunch of false positive reports that week.

baudattitude on
  • ReverseCreationsReverseCreations Registered User regular
    "11:07 AM - Karoz: don't worry Reverse, I helped ;)"
    7d5atxb9two4.jpg

I fail to see how this helps.

Thanks @Karoz for Axiom Verge

1C54320038BDF735D2D088D168D6275F7F2FBE3C
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    @mts decided a car want enough for a birthday and sent the Binding of Isaac Afterbirth my way and @CroakerBC joined in on the festivities with The Silent Age! Thanks guys but really, it's over now, everybody can stop!

Seriously though, you guys all rock. <3

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Surely it's fate that I just now discover Evoland, think it looks like a fun little concept, and it drops to $2.49.

Do you pounce on that? I think it'd be wrong not to.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »
    Surely it's fate that I just now discover Evoland, think it looks like a fun little concept, and it drops to $2.49.

Do you pounce on that? I think it'd be wrong not to.

It's worth $2.50, yeah. Interesting little game, gets a bit long in the tooth by the end (just like the games it's parodying), and I never beat the last boss.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    A thanks for @ReverseCreations for Final fantasy 5. I see a fiesta coming!

FIESTA! all year every year.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Shade wrote: »
    Yeah, the only thing that was actually missing was the .exe itself.

It just struck me as a really weird and random thing for Steam to do.

did your antivirus quarantine it on accident?

Nope, checked that. Nothing quarantined or even reported as suspicious, and it hasn't even run a system scan since Oct 11.

Plus, if it had, Steam wouldn't have shown the game as uninstalled. It wouldn't even have known until I went to play the game. Instead, the game was already grayed out in my library with the PLAY button replaced with the INSTALL button.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    signature.png

New Page + short giveaway.

i'm actually gonna post a quick review.

in Downwell, you fall down a well full of monsters. The goal is merely to jump down from platform to platform, killing or avoiding monsters. Supposedly there's a boss at the end, but i never got that far. To help you in your journey, you have Gunboots. using them, you can stay aloft a bit longer and kill enemies. After every level, you get to pick an upgrade perk and sometimes you can find shops to buy upgrades or caves with gun modules.

Every gun is roughly equivalent in usefulness (Except Burst. Fuck Burst).

You also have different Styles that are like perks. One makes shops rarer but ensures you find a lot of gun modules. One gives you 50% more HP but 1 less perk to choose from every level.

What makes this game great is that it's Simple and refined.

Also it looks super lo-fi which i really like.

Downwell, it's simple, addictive and fun.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I once met the dev in a trade show and he was not a dick to me. We talked for a few minutes about games. He was nice to me. He did not offer me doritos and mtn dew. That proves this review is not tainted.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I once met the dev in a trade show and he was not a dick to me. We talked for a few minutes about games. He was nice to me. He did not offer me doritos and mtn dew. That proves this review is not tainted.

Those two statements are mutually exclusive.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

Those two statements are mutually exclusive.

No, see, it was nice of him because it allows me to review the game.

(I still hold a grudge against Moppin_ to this day)

EDIT: Speaking of grudges, i actually do hold a grudge against Doug TenNapel. The guy is a grade A human Persecution complex and also a dingus. i felt bad for the people who backed Armikrog, but happy that it was doodoo.

21stCentury on
  • subisubi Registered User regular
    I have a spare Tristoy ,if someone wants to play that game ,send me PM

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    I may have finally installed Dark Souls.

May God have Mercy on me Praise the Sun?

Houn wrote: »
    I may have finally installed Dark Souls.

May God have Mercy on me Praise the Sun?

Praise the sun!

And Elly calls Me a Monster.
    kq7px1l6ms8v.jpg
    kxfg51ar915r.jpg

Thanks @ElementWrath for making sure my backlog will live on long after I've died.

• ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Praise the sun! \[|]/

ElementWrath on
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Holy crap, @ElementWrath has gone mad!

Stabbity_Style.png
    And... Remember Me is finished. Woo!

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~

i'm sorry that you didn't like the gameplay.

Time to play the sequel, eh?

edited October 2015

I do not at all regret playing the game. I loved it. Loved the story, world, etc. I would still happily recommend it to anyone. The experience was great and the ending was super satisfying (though totally predictable).

I just wish they'd been able to refine the combat better.

As for sequel... is that a thing? It seems unlikely to me, but if it were real, I'd definitely play it.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Not close to finishing it yet, but Gravity Ghost is really great, and charming to boot.

I have now completed this game.

It's very good, if a tad melancholy at times. Very interesting art style. Highly recommended.

I do not at all regret playing the game. I loved it. Loved the story, world, etc. I would still happily recommend it to anyone. The experience was great and the ending was super satisfying (though totally predictable).

As for sequel... is that a thing? It seems unlikely to me, but if it were real, I'd definitely play it.

Yeah, the sequel...

it's set in Neo New York.

it's called...

Fahgeddaboutit

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    You know @21stCentury, you're a good fella.

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015

Yeah, Remember Me interested me knowing that it was mostly a 3D beat-em-up with some memory gimmicks throughout; I would be a less complete person if I only played games for good gameplay. A bog-standard action game can still draw me in if they gave a damn about the world and characters, while exciting gameplay can still bore the shit out of me if I don't care about what's going on.

These are very open distinctions, to be sure - Dishonored, for instance, falls down on the plot department but still has fantastic atmosphere - but the bottom line is mediocre combat isn't always a problem if the game has the rest of its ducks in a row.

No shortage of recent stuff to play, but I do intend to give it a whirl eventually. The world just looks too rad not to.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I never met the Downwell developer, but I did meet the Devolver Digital rep who took over his PAX booth when he went to go get food or use the toilet or something.

Downwell is pretty fun, and it's cheap, but also really hard. And it controls okay on a phone, which is more than I can say for most games. But you should get it on Steam cause this is the Steam thread.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I get best results playing Downwell on the keyboard. It's three button gameplay at its best. Default is A and D for left and right and L Shift for Jump/Shoot. Works great.

but it is a driving game which could amount somehow to being close to 60 hours if I try hard enough hmm
    v5a4mb1209oq.jpg

Thanks @Quical for not coma driving game

That is the best driving game period.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

Yeah, the sequel...

it's set in Neo New York.

it's called...

Fahgeddaboutit
    DA-DUM-TISH

M A G I K A Z A M
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Following day update. Gonna head back to bed soon. At $1130 total for sick kids at CHOP! Donate by tomorrow at 5pm EST to enter for last chance at raffles.

Side note. My team leader Obi is finishing up his marathon with less than 2 hours left. I stopped in to check up on him and see what he was playing when I saw he's around $1170 himself. He didn't even notice he got a huge donation recently, but it turns out that Scott Cawthon of FNaF fame donated $1000 to him! What an awesome developer.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Hmm. I'd probably have a higher opinion of Murder if I hadn't played Badass Inc first. Many similarities: both 2D cyberpunk point & clickers; both with well-done pixel art, albeit in different styles; both with good atmospheric soundtracks; both with exceptional world-building despite their very brief running times that makes me want to explore their worlds much. much further. But different in other ways: Murder played itself entirely straight (to the point of po-facedness), while Badass Inc had a wry sense of humour; Murder was more interested in telling its short story at the expense of mechanics, while Badass Inc mixed its story (which felt like a chapter inside a bigger story, and in a comfortable and satisfying way) with some genuine point & click adventure style gameplay. Murder feels like a game jam creation; Badass Inc actually is one.

Murder did a lot well, considering; but I think Badass Inc did more, and did it significantly better, albeit with a rather different narrative tone. And doesn't charge you money for the privilege of playing it. And is a prototype for a bigger game to come in the future.

So, I liked Murder. It was alright. But Badass Inc is seriously one of my favourite games of the year. Just a shame about its iffy title, really.

I think I'll have to disagree about the mechanics.
    Murder deliberately subverts adventure game mechanics to reinforce the themes of isolation and lack of agency. This is thematically consistent with cyberpunk and works with the other elements of the game to build a bigger picture. It's not a conventional approach to a game but that's great. There are tons of conventional games.

I've looked at a little at Badass Inc, but it seems to have completely different goals. It's looking to generate a nostalgic feeling for what I think of as surface cyberpunk. Lots of cyber and neon, very little if any punk and ultimately not much to think about outside of pixel hunting and inventory puzzles. These kinds of things are fun, but there are loads of these kind of all aesthetic but no brains cyberpunk. Murder is probably one of the more authentically cyberpunk games around. Does this mean it's the most fun game set in the genre ever? No, but it definitely found a place for me that has been empty. This is gameplay that informs the story in an important way, instead of granting the illusion of agency so the player can escape for a while. Murder has more in common with Gone Home or Thirty Flights of Loving than it does with Badass Inc.

edit: And c'mon Murder isn't that straight faced, did you catch the voice acting on the cops? That was straight out of early 90s English dubbed anime. Straight up Manga Video. You gotta admit that is pretty silly. It's subtle, but Murder has its sense of fun too. :D

Also, I really did enjoy Badass Inc. I'll be picking up the full game when it comes out.

Having never been an anime watcher (we were behind the times on it in this country anyway), I guess that was something that went over my head. Your take on it does raise a lot of valid points. I fully intend to revisit it at some point; I'll try and bear your thoughts in mind when I do. It wouldn't be the first time I enjoyed something a lot more the second time around. (The one that always sticks in my mind is the movie Easy Rider; the first time I really didn't like it, and wondered why it was regarded as such a classic. Eventually I forced myself to watch it again and it completely clicked.)

I certainly don't regret spending the money on Murder. (And I'm sure that sentence has just landed me on a watchlist somewhere.) Hell, I'll recommend it to anyone for the visuals alone. I will always devour a cyberpunk apartment/balcony scene, too. Great atmosphere.

jclast wrote: »
    I am temporarily downgraded from my gaming laptop to my 6 year old netbook. There is not enough room on the tiny hard drive for Steam, let alone a game, but it will let me chat on facebook and stream netflix. Stupid laptop all being too big for my bag and too expensive to want to check. At least I will have my 3DS for gaming and my kindle for reading.

And as a "bonus" I will be picking up a powerful laptop, but it is a work laptop so I can't use it for anything fun. LAME!

Also, after using Vista, 7, and 8, Windows XP looks super weird and retro.

It hasn't even started yet, and this business trip can't end soon enough.

Sympathies, man. When I carted my gaming laptop to Ireland last year it took up more than half the weight allowance of my carry-on bag and only just barely fit in the thing, so I had to travel super-light on everything else which would have been impossible had it been a business trip, I think. It was ultimately worth it (hotel room in another country plus insomnia is always fun times and it saved my sanity at that point) but it was an almighty pain in the backside getting it to and from. And, like you, an XP-powered netbook is my only functional fallback machine. It's got enough "grunt" to handle Thief I & II, and UT '99 at a pinch. How tiny is your HDD that it can't fit something like those on it?

Hopefully your 3DS and Kindle can fill in the gaps. Both can obviously be great times but it's a case of what you're in the mood for, I suppose.

I just played through Murder several times. What a wonderful experience. Ran through it multiple times and saw a few things that @drake didn't see but we collaborated and think we got what the story is. Thanks again drake, that was amazing!

Big Classy wrote: »
    I just played through Murder several times. What a wonderful experience. Ran through it multiple times and saw a few things that @drake didn't see but we collaborated and think we got what the story is. Thanks again drake, that was amazing!

Go on, do tell! Spoiler or even PM if you like. It's definitely a game I'm intrigued for other perspectives on. :)
    Apologies for that grammatical nightmare. Brain misfiring.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Apparently the dev of Murder is kind of a jabroni on Twitter and is getting into a spat with Jim Sterling. Shockingly, the guy who makes short experiences doesn't care for people who want Steam Refunds. Also he's mad at Jim Sterling cause he claims Sterling misquoted him when Jim took sentences directly from blog posts the dev made.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Have now upgraded my PC to 16 GB of RAM. So naturally, the game I select to supplement my play-through of Fallout 3 is Organ Trail.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!

Go on, do tell! Spoiler or even PM if you like. It's definitely a game I'm intrigued for other perspectives on. :)
    Draske figured out that the D;/ on the computer was what caused the suitmans to appear later. However the dialog when I did that was different to the dialog from my intial run where I itneracted with everything.

The first run through he says " "I'm not here to answer your questions, player"

but the 5th play through where I did the pc thing he said "I'm not here to answer your questions, hero"

Its not overly significant on it's own but in that original playthrough I played it like a game, clicking everything, a real player. Whereas the fifth one I only clickedo nthe optional D drive, the rest was critical stuff only, much like how most people would deal with stuff everyday. I thought it was really neat.

Also I somehow triggered a skip mode on my second play through but no idea how. It sped up dialog prompts but then deactivated after 6 interactions or so. Weird.

• chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Alright, finished up Remember Me. *phew* 14hrs for a normal difficulty playthrough and 66% of achievements unlocked. Probably could've run through it quicker, but everything was just so damned pretty, i had to keep looking around (and yet still managed to miss a bunch of the collectibles).

Most of what i could say about the game has been hit on already, and recently, so i'll no rehash. i actually liked the brawling, outside of two small quibbles. (1) i really wish they'd save changes made to your combo menu, if you die in some set-piece fight. That double mourner battle? i died so many times. Had come up with some changes i thought would help after the 3rd or 4th death, only to have to redo all the set-up again for deaths #5-10. That was kinda annoying.
    (2) The way that dodging interacted with combo chains was kinda bunk. Since the chain will break if you hit a new enemy, and dodging generally points you at someone different, if you're fighting in a mob, i had a hard time getting my longer combos to go off all that reliably. Still, minor annoyance only.

i can forgive the story being a bit cliche at times, and not really going too deeply into the implications of what was going on. i think you can tell an awful lot of stories with games, but i also think the game-type is going to be a limiting factor. i'm not certain the "run around and beat the hell out of things"-genre invites a lot of depth, and that's ok. Still, i liked the idea of the world so much, and found it so disturbing, i'd love to see some short fiction set in it. Maybe by some of the folks who write for Delta Green. i could see a story like Russian Dolls fitting in fairly well (well, if you swapped Memorize in for the Mi-Go).

One thing i expected to happen, and didn't:
    i fully expected Olga to show up again as an antagonist. Either having shaken off the Remix, once she realizes her husband isn't actually dead. Or having been driven completely unhinged from the paradox of having some deeply believed core memory completely disproven by reality. When she gives you a ride up to the Tower, i was figuring "set up," but, nope, she's a full-fledged ally.
    Edge's comment that he "should'Ve got [Nilin] to recruit Olga earlier" set off some serious alarm bells as well, that perhaps Nilin had been some normal person another pawn of Edge's had twisted into becoming a Remixer...i was almost, kinda right...if you squint a bit.

All in all, enjoyed the lot of it well enough though. i'll prolly go back through just to pick up things i missed on earlier chapters, but really just so i can play tourist again, and get lots of nice screenshots.

Thanks again, @Jazz !

chris: waffle king on
    steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!

Draske figured out that the D;/ on the computer was what caused the suitmans to appear later. However the dialog when I did that was different to the dialog from my intial run where I itneracted with everything.

The first run through he says " "I'm not here to answer your questions, player"

but the 5th play through where I did the pc thing he said "I'm not here to answer your questions, hero"

Its not overly significant on it's own but in that original playthrough I played it like a game, clicking everything, a real player. Whereas the fifth one I only clickedo nthe optional D drive, the rest was critical stuff only, much like how most people would deal with stuff everyday. I thought it was really neat.

Also I somehow triggered a skip mode on my second play through but no idea how. It sped up dialog prompts but then deactivated after 6 interactions or so. Weird.
    I knew something was up with the prompts on that computer. My short-term memory being what it is, though, it had slipped my mind by the time other stuff was going on.

I'm gonna have to play this thing throug again. It sounds like your idea of playing it multiple times back-to-back might be the way to go.

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    That is the best driving game period.

I haven't thought of Driver SF in bloody ages, man that was a good game. Some of the events were frustratingly challenging but it's definitely worth playing right through to the end. The way the game feels when you do a big burnout, donut and then peel into main street sideways dodging cars... It feels completely right and certainly way better than Burnout Paradise in this specific example. What happened to this genre, dammit!

Hopefully it sees a good sale at Christmas, there're plenty of new Steam thread people that've likely missed it

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.