As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Turning scanned images back into a physical yearbook?

NathrakNathrak Registered User regular
edited October 2015 in Help / Advice Forum
I found one of my grandmother's high school yearbooks in scanned image form and was wondering how I could turn it back into a physical book to give her.

The printing services from places like Staples or Walmart only seem to do photo books that are the wrong dimensions. I have no idea what kind of book making service could maybe recreate a yearbook type of book. Google turns up a bunch of printing sites that may but I can't tell if they are just computers hooked up to printers that spit something out and ship it off without anyone checking it. Also there may be some issue with yearbooks because they are the property of the school and you need permission to reprint them, though this yearbook is 70 years old and the school isn't even around anymore so I have no idea how that would work.

I got it from Classmates and they offer to print it up for $100 but on their site it is combined with another yearbook so I'm pretty sure I'd end up with a weird double book which is no good.

I'm in a rural area so I don't think there are any book binders or other specialty stores that could do it, though I'm not even sure what to search for.

Blurb.com has yearbook creator but it seems limited to certain layouts and confuses me with paper types. Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

Nathrak on

• FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    You may need to call an actual print shop, not Staples.

But what resolution are the images in? They may be far too low res to print with any semblence of quality.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Maybe just a few pages in some frames? Like her picture and any pages that age was in; clubs, etc.

Print those and put them in a nice frame to hang.

Jokerman wrote: »
    If sigs were still a thing this would be mine.
  • NathrakNathrak Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    They're all about 1100x1500 96DPI, not great but look OK if I make them about the size of a standard piece of paper on my monitor . Blurb actually has a little warning that they're too low resolution when I put 1 image per page on their layout creator. Part of the reason she liked her old yearbooks was to look up other people so I think she'd want the entire thing. I think at worst I can just print them out and put them in a folder, it would just be really nice to have them hardbound and on nice paper.

Nathrak on
  • FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    Nathrak wrote: »
    They're all about 1100x1500 96DPI, not great but look OK if I make them about the size of a standard piece of paper on my monitor . Blurb actually has a little warning that they're too low resolution when I put 1 image per page on their layout creator. Part of the reason she liked her old yearbooks was to look up other people so I think she'd want the entire thing. I think at worst I can just print them out and put them in a folder, it would just be really nice to have them hardbound and on nice paper.

What it looks like on your monitor doesn't really matter. You might want to send one of the images to print on a single sheet to get an idea of how it will look in print. You're basically blowing that image up over 200% if you print at 11x15.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    According to those measurements, you'd have to reduce the image to 3.5x5" to get the equivalent of high resolution. I'm also going to second going to an actual print shop, they should set you straight with a nice hard bound book on acid free paper that won't turn yellow.

Geth