As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hang in there

nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Artist's Corner
hanginthere2cq1.jpg

I'm just starting to learn how to use the watercolor brush in Corel Painter. This is the second piece I've colored with it. All comments and critiques are more than appreciated. Thank you.

nakirush on

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Compositionally, most of your middle area is empty- not good.
    Also, what are the random swirlies?

You're using about 4x the space you really need.

Tam on
  • Options
    nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Thanks for the comment.

Excuses/explanation-
    I wanted the guy to be in white void (like those commercials where somebody's walking around in all white) to make him look all alone. The swirlies are supposed to be black vines/tentacles/some explained danger. As far as size goes, I just felt I need it to be very empty and big to go with the whole void thing. Just to make the guy look smaller like he was in an overwhelming situation.

What would you recommend I do? I am completely open to suggestions here. Thanks.

nakirush on
  • Options
    furiousNUfuriousNU Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I don't particularly see this as a "artwork" because of the way the text and frame is. Therefore the standards for judging it are different. From a graphic design standpoint, there's nothing wrong with the general composition to me. If the white space were any short the hand+negative space would look extremely awkward.

Only nit pick is that the vines aren't thick or intimidating enough and that bit of vine that is white annoys me. Keep the vines in the frame as a whole. The signature also unnecessary because it doesn't contribute to the piece.

furiousNU on
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    graphic design isn't artwork?

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Phonehand wrote: »

Graphic design is art that is done for accomplishing specific purpose in mind that is governed by rules that are far more restrictive then normal painting/drawing/sculpture stuff(artwork). The text, framing method,size and crispness of the piece remind me of a broadside (ancestor of the poster).

furiousNU on
  • Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    i think its cute

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Tentacles should probably be more 3D so they don't look like abstract swirls.

Dude looks way too calm, like he's chatting in a quippy manner while about to cast a spell or something.

The big hand looks off. Giant chubby finger, awkward (line value? Is that what they call it?) between the fingers... like you just kind of added them later... Hand itself may be a bit too thin.. almost looks like half a foot.

I'm not sure where your light source is... the shadow on the shirt and the shadow on the leg just seem a bit off to me...

May be better to put the guy closer to the center so that your eye is drawn more towards him. Right now the eye is drawn to the white space above and in front of him... he, the hand, and the tentacles basically make for the sides of a frame.

Aaand... his hair seems to be partly tentacles, as its curled in multiple directions.

Clever, though.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Dude looks way too calm, like he's chatting in a quippy manner while about to cast a spell or something.

Agreed, he doesn't quite look like he's in danger, or there's any threat, which I think downplays what you're trying to get across with the tentacles.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    furiousNU wrote: »
    Phonehand wrote: »

Graphic design is art that is done for accomplishing specific purpose in mind that is governed by rules that are far more restrictive then normal painting/drawing/sculpture stuff(artwork). The text, framing method,size and crispness of the piece remind me of a broadside (ancestor of the poster).

uhhhhhh

no

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    i like the thin, straight black, whispy, tendrils. if they were shaded, you would know exactly what they are. in straight black, they represent an unknown. the void is good, your border is too thick on the top, you want your bottom border slightly thicker because the human eye actually sees the center of the rectangle slightly higher in the format than its true center. i don't think the cartoon-y art style works well with the idea, though.

edit: also, NU, you're wrong about graphic design not being art.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    i like the thin, straight black, whispy, tendrils. if they were shaded, you would know exactly what they are. in straight black, they represent an unknown. the void is good, your border is too thick on the top, you want your bottom border slightly thicker because the human eye actually sees the center of the rectangle slightly higher in the format than its true center. i don't think the cartoon-y art style works well with the idea, though.

Phonehand and Manonvon:

Read more carefully, I clarified what I was trying to say.

I'm just saying the OP's piece doesn't really fit the traditional standards of normal artwork, as in the average painting or drawing that's posted in here.

I never said it wasn't art, just said the standards for graphic design and for normal artwork is different and that I disagree with Tam's opinion on the compostion because the piece has graphic design elements in it.

furiousNU on
  • Options
    JeakJeak Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Personally, I feel that graphic design is really more like a craft rather than art in that generally it has a specific and functional purpose. Of course that doesn't mean that Graphic design doesn't incorporate art-forms such as illustration.

Also, I disagree that graphic design has more rules than "art" - just because you have more freedom to break the rules when producing a work of art doesn't mean those rules don't exist (or that you should be aware of them).

Aesthetics - in both art and design - is just a complex system built from the interactions between basic rules.

nakirush: The guy dangling is looking off to the left when the tentacles are coming from below right - it's almost like there's something more interesting happening off page. You could do with having extra tentacles curving in from the bottom right to the top left or just making him look at what he should really be interested in! Also, this might just be me, but his centre of gravity seems a little off, he could do with being tilted slightly anti-clockwise.

Jeak on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited October 2007
    As always, the only true art is interpretive dance.

DMAC on
  • Options
    JeakJeak Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    DMAC wrote: »

which is exactly what I was trying to say. If only words had the same ability to convey meaning then perhaps I could've got my point across.

Jeak on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Phonehand and Manonvon:

Read more carefully, I clarified what I was trying to say.

I'm just saying the OP's piece doesn't really fit the traditional standards of normal artwork, as in the average painting or drawing that's posted in here.

I never said it wasn't art, just said the standards for graphic design and for normal artwork is different and that I disagree with Tam's opinion on the compostion because the piece has graphic design elements in it.

i love listening to people who don't know what the fuck they're talking about dig themselves even deeper holes.

i forgot how absolutely entertaining pa:ac was :D

beavotron on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Jeak wrote: »
    DMAC wrote: »

which is exactly what I was trying to say. If only words had the same ability to convey meaning then perhaps I could've got my point across.

It still seems like you're saying it's art, but not arty enough to be called art, so we should call it graphic design instead. You haven't suitably explained why graphic design is distinct from art other than "it has more rules." Every art form has its own set of rules.

Edit: Replace "you" with NU.

MKR on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    nakirush wrote: »
    I wanted the guy to be in white void (like those commercials where somebody's walking around in all white) to make him look all alone.

I get what you're trying to do, but in those ads the guy is never really walking on a white void. There is usually some sort of subtle gradient or some a soft grainy texture. Use a gray to white gradient or something, it's gonna help fill out that white space without breaking the effect you're trying to create.

Also, I'm sorry, I have to say something:
    Graphic design is art that is done for accomplishing specific purpose in mind that is governed by rules that are far more restrictive then normal painting/drawing/sculpture stuff(artwork).

If I make a sculpture of Homer Simpson in the pose of Rodan's Thinker and placed it in a museum with the specific purpose of promoting the Simpsons Movie.... how is this restrictive? I think your views on graphic design are very 1980's.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited October 2007
    Alright, just for my two cents. All artwork has design elements in it. This piece is an illustration with a border. Does that make it graphic design or illustration? Well, we could argue about that or we could just give the guy some bloody critique.

I find the way that the vines begin at the bottom to be troublesome. You really don't need the white borders around them when they intersect. I'd suggest removing those.

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    It doesn't really matter as I don't think there is a new set of compositional rules for graphic design anyway.

I am honestly not sure if there is too much negative space there. I like it but I think it just might be a little too much.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    CyberMonkeytron3000CyberMonkeytron3000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The inking kinda throws me off. The way that the lines around his lower half are much thicker than his top makes his head look like it is disappearing into the distance.

I disagree about making the tentacles more 3d- in fact i would make them even more abstract by removing the white breaks. I wouldn't have that one particular tentacle go right across the page though. It cuts up the image. Curling it up like the others would give it more flow.

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Looking at it again, I get the impression that the tentacles are retreating... or passive... there's just no real drama in the thing. I think partly because they're UNDER him at the base but in front of him higher up... which doesn't suggest grabbing since that would normally be done at the shortest possible distance at a nice direct angle.

And the guy looks like he's talking AT that one tentacle pointed at his face.

Like he is saying "Hey don't forget you promised we could cuddle after."

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    dangerdoomdangerdangerdoomdanger Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Embelish the tentacles.

dangerdoomdanger on
  • Options
    TimTheSlothTimTheSloth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Is it supposed to look like one of those motivational posters? "Teamwork" etc.?

Also it looks like he is being rescued from hair... especially because the dudes hair looks exactly like the tentacles. The tentacles weight/motion also primarily going away from him (left and up) which makes them not seem all that menacing.

It's hard to tell because the image is so large but I think it would look a little more balanced if the dude and hand were moved a little bit up and a little to the left.

Lastly there is nothing that looks to me like he's being pulled away from danger, it could just as easily be the giant hand placing him there. I'd suggest a pose change, especially the arms... if he was in with the hairntacles I don't think he would have his hands out and down like he was on all fours or something before he got picked up.

Also his front ankle looks severely sprained.

TimTheSloth on
    redtidesig1.jpg
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    More contrast (shadows). I don't think it's been said.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS