As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kind of a blah [Steam] sa.. OH GOD WOLFENSTEIN: TNO FOR $9!!

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    ooh, a really good underrated game is on sale this week.

i am talking, of course, about Pid.

Pid, which supposedly stands for "Planet in distress" is a very good and challenging puzzle-platformer with a lot of different gimmicks.

In my opinion, the difficulty is very much overblown. it's a challenging game, but not too hard.

it looks amazing, has a great soundtrack and it's really fun.

Much recommended.

• subisubi Registered User regular
    And now new surprise from windows ... Black screen suddenly until hard reset .

• DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular

Is there a way to import a whole set of tiles to steam at once?

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »

Unfortunately, I don't think so.

• chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    So...

With just a couple of days left until Afterbirth starts starts devouring my time hand over fist again, looking over the backlog list to see if there are a few more i can knock off. Actually, it may be time to do a bit of culling of stuff i know i'll never get back to.

But, anyway, noticed Nuclear Throne has achievements now. Must've happened in one of the recent updates. Think i'll have to give it another go. Caught one of NL's recent Let's Plays, and it appears to have gotten a bit easier? One can only hope.

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    congrats to TeeMan for winning Downwell!

hope you enjoy de gunbootins.

Huzzah!! Thank you very much @21stCentury :biggrin: I've got a pretty sweet vertical monitor set-up as my second screen on my main PC so I can't wait to give it a go when I get home in a couple of days.

steam_sig.png
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »

If I can get them to show up on the Steam Link in Big Picture mode, I'll do them all by hand if I have to.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Bad Origin, BAD! I do not need the cloud to save my games for a 15 year old game.

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Stupid question (perhaps), but what does the arrow in the lower right hand side of the banner in Grid View mean?

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    Thank you @KoopahTroopah for Fallout 4. I had been waffling on pre-ordering it, and this settles my waffle. I am hyped!

Also thank you for raising money for sick children. That too.

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Corsini wrote: »
    Thank you @KoopahTroopah for Fallout 4. I had been waffling on pre-ordering it, and this settles my waffle. I am hyped!

Also thank you for raising money for sick children. That too.

I considered entering the giveaway for it, but I just can't bring myself to. I haven't contributed enough to this thread lately, and I'm playing an MMO part of the time anymore. I just can't see the time to play that game. Someone else said, by time I have time to play it, it will have GOTY edition and be 20 bucks.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Just playing some MW4:Mercenaries when @Kalnaur hits me with a gift:

69jv4traeme0.png

I hadn't heard of this one but I do like Breakout type games, and it looks pretty cool. Thank you!

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Woo, thanks to @Heatwave for hooking me up with Skyborn out of the blue. Sorry for the delay in my appreciation, Heatwave, I was out of town for the last 5 or so days.
    Thanks so much, I have a weakness for games involving airships.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    So, after sleeping on it, I still feel like the Bell Fuckgoyles are assholes, however, I'm ready to give it another shot tonight after work.

I do feel like I'm probably making all kinds of mistakes in my build, but I don't really "get" what I should be doing so far. I rolled Pyromancer because Fire!, but having only 8 shots of Fireball means there's no way to be pure mage, at least right now.

Do people still spoiler Dark Souls? I only spoiled myself up through reaching the Blacksmith near the Parish thanks to Extra Sidequest, but stopped watching there.
    I made a quick run to grab the Winged Spear, then headed into the 'Burg. Fireballs took out the Black Knight without much effort, and I took out the Tartarus Demon on my first go. Made my way up to the Blacksmith, cleared out the Parish, found a Halberd somewhere along the way, so that's my "primary" at +3 so far. Cleared out the Parish without much issue, freed the dude from the cell (who promptly disappeared), then went to fight the Fuckgoyles, and got stuck there.

Heck, the only reason I got invaded is because I went Human long enough to Kindle the bonfire near the Blacksmith (assuming that would get me 10 Estus instead of 5 when I rested there), and suddenly learned that's what enables PvP and was promptly destroyed by some high-level whip-wielding asshat.

I feel like I should start over, though. If I can't actually be a caster, I should probably roll a class with better melee stats to start with, and not waste so many of them pumping STR if I'm going to use a weapon that scales off DEX. Or maybe I should just go STR and cut everything down?

I dunno, I'm just mad that I can't be a mage.

Tonight's Dark Update:
    So, I did a bit of reading, and decided I'd just find a Dex-Scaling weapon and roll with it. Spent some time grinding for a Balder's Side Sword, which only took a little bit, thankfully, then immediately +5'd it. Reversed Hollowing so I could summon Solaire to help, and once again, instantly got invaded before I could reach the boss.

Thankfully, the dude didn't seem very good. Much higher level than me, I could only do around 33 damage to him at a time, barely displaying on his health bar, but I kept running and rolling, and eventually he got bored with chasing me and wandered off. So, I ran for the Fuckgoyles, summoned Solaire, rubbed some Gold Pine Dust on my blade, and absolutely smashed those jerks.

I finally get why people love this game.

Wandered down to the lower 'Burg, got ambushed a bit, opened a path in the waterway, then promptly got smashed by the Capra demon, heh. I ain't even mad, that room is kinda designed to kill you. Ah well, joke's on him, I only had 900 some souls on me. :rotate:

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Praise the sun!

Amazing chest ahead.

Try jumping.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I keep watching Dan from Extra Credits play Dark Souls, and am really considering switching to offline mode and then playing it, because it looks fun. Annoying, but rewarding.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    I don't think I'd worry about offline mode even. I've beaten all the Souls games multiple times and could count the number of invasions I got on one hand.

• chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    So, spent a little extra time with U-SF4, after getting my can kicked about in Nuclear Throne a bit. It does seem a touch easier than i remembered, though i remain a sub-par (at best) player. Apparently the achievements are just up for show at the moment, though, their unlock requirements not actually, you know, unlocking them. That's a bit of a shame.

Anyhow, Street Fighter. Thoughts and jottings.
    • i've noticed quite a bit of screen tear and slowdown during the pre-/post-fight scenes, though this doesn't seem to be effecting the gameplay (yet).
    • i still have 3rd-fighter-itis. This is so consistent across platforms and games i have to think there's a design philosophy about ramping up the difficulty for the 3rd battle.
    • Over my developing years with NES, SNES, and Genesis, i seem to have picked up a habit of holding controllers that i just can't get rid of. Namely, the way i grip them, i only loop my index fingers over the top, with the rest further down the grip. Having index on the bumpers, and middle on the triggers just feels unnatural and uncomfortable to me. This is only an issue with fighting games really, but it does slow down my inputs, a lot. If i was bigger on the genre, i'd pick up an arcade stick; but as it is, i just have to accept it as a limiting factor, i guess.
    • Man...Poison is really...i dunno...really something.

It, like most (relatively) accessible fighters, makes for a nice interstitial gametime game, while i think of what to play next. So that's cool.

Side question, i noticed Lost Planet3 in the Capcom Bundle. Played LP2 on my PS3 back when it came out. i remember enjoying it fairly well, as long as i stayed well away from multiplayer matches (though playing campaign with PUGs wasn't always so bad). Looking at some reviews and Let's Look Ats, LP3 seems to be a very different (and much more poorly received) beast. Any y'all have some thoughts on it?

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    I don't think I'd worry about offline mode even. I've beaten all the Souls games multiple times and could count the number of invasions I got on one hand.

I've Reversed Hollowing two times.
    I've been invaded within minutes both times.

For a game that's 4 years old, that's interestingly consistent.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    You're doing this at the pvp invasion spot, though.

Folks hang around there and murder each other all day long.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    If that's something I'd "have" to know to avoid ever being invaded (me against the computer is one thing, but I loathe PvP), then I'd just as soon turn off the net and play offline.

Because fuck PvP.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Yeah the thing to keep in mind is that you aren't getting invaded by people "higher level" than you. Matchmaking is entirely based on Soul Level, which is entirely based on how many stat points you've bought. However, gear is a HUGE component in how effective your character is. So people will make new characters, give them a few stat points, kit them out with maximally-upgraded everything, and then go trolling for new players in the first place where players might go human.

In Dark Souls 2 your matchmaking was based on the number of souls you've acquired instead. This made certain people mad.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    http://www.pcgamer.com/best-pc-games/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=best2

Going through this list, I read about towerfall ascension, and now I'm kind of sad someone other than me made the the games I doodled when I was kid.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Has anybody mentioned Human Resource Machine yet? http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-human-resource-machine/2300-10797/

It's a game about programming from the World of Goo / Little Inferno guys, and it's a lot of fun if you like programming.

Zek on
    Hooo boy it looks like The Last Door: Season 2 has cropped up on Early Access. The first season was surprisingly creepy as hell given the artistic constraints they held themselves to (do not talk to me about crows), so this'll be worth putting on the wishlist for those of us who enjoyed being utterly disquieted by it. For everyone else, pick up the first season in a sale! It's well worth your time

steam_sig.png
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    Has anybody mentioned Human Resource Machine yet? http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-human-resource-machine/2300-10797/

It's a game about programming from the World of Goo / Little Inferno guys, and it's a lot of fun if you like programming.

I watched the quicklook and now have aheadache. That is too much thinking for me.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »

I watched the quicklook and now have aheadache. That is too much thinking for me.

Agreed. And a lot of the comments are like "I'm a programmer/programming student. This seems like they made a fun game out of my homework!".

I had almost no idea what was happening.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    @Viking knows my weakness for pixelated sci fi and moves in like a pro. Can't wait to play this, it looks like a fun send up of The Thing.

TePxpta.jpg

Thanks man.

Drake on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular

Agreed. And a lot of the comments are like "I'm a programmer/programming student. This seems like they made a fun game out of my homework!".

I program for a living and I never do this sort of algorithmic stuff anymore so it's fun to exercise those brain muscles again. It's like programming redstone in Minecraft or something, you're working with a very limited set of tools and the challenge is in puzzling out how to do something within the confines of the game. Getting the optimization challenges takes some legit programming chops, but you can definitely beat the game with sub-optimal solutions pretty easily.

edited October 2015
    Drake wrote: »
    @Viking knows my weakness for pixelated sci fi and moves in like a pro. Can't wait to play this, it looks like a fun send up of The Thing.

TePxpta.jpg

Thanks man.

Neck-snapping pedestrian whiplash comes to Steam thread

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    bloodatonement wins the $60 of Steam monies!

Corsini wins a copy of Fallout 4 from GMG!

Thank you everyone for donating to my Extra Life marathon of 2015! Lots of love with $1130 for the sick kids over at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia!

Holy crap!

Thank you!

Wow!

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

I program for a living and I never do this sort of algorithmic stuff anymore so it's fun to exercise those brain muscles again. It's like programming redstone in Minecraft or something, you're working with a very limited set of tools and the challenge is in puzzling out how to do something within the confines of the game. Getting the optimization challenges takes some legit programming chops, but you can definitely beat the game with sub-optimal solutions pretty easily.

I love their presentation and general weirdness, but to me it seems like TIS-100 is more playable (if you can even call it that) if you're already used to programming your stuff. Still, I might give it a go some day (preferably after actually finishing TIS-100 :P )

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

I love their presentation and general weirdness, but to me it seems like TIS-100 is more playable (if you can even call it that) if you're already used to programming your stuff. Still, I might give it a go some day (preferably after actually finishing TIS-100 :P )

Im going to have to look at HRM, but TIS is great, and you should definitely try for finishing it. Some the puzzles are actually quite difficult to design solutions for under the constraints, but it is a fun little game.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »
    Yeah the thing to keep in mind is that you aren't getting invaded by people "higher level" than you. Matchmaking is entirely based on Soul Level, which is entirely based on how many stat points you've bought. However, gear is a HUGE component in how effective your character is. So people will make new characters, give them a few stat points, kit them out with maximally-upgraded everything, and then go trolling for new players in the first place where players might go human.

In Dark Souls 2 your matchmaking was based on the number of souls you've acquired instead. This made certain people mad.
    It made most people mad, actually, because it didn't REALLY fix the problem, but made it obnoxiously difficult to actually play with friends.

and @houn You're probably good for being invaded. It doesn't happen often outside the parish. There is ONE other hotspot for PVP, and that comes much, much later.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »

If by certain people you mean the pvp duelist crowd, then yes. Yes it did.

If you mean twinks , then no. No it didn't. Soul memory was an objective failure of a system that failed to stop twinks. I should know. I built a counter - twink that joined the blue sentinels early in the game to come to the rescue of newbies by counter - invading the invaders.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    So is the Steam Link only good for streaming Big Picture Steam games? My 6 year old was talking about how all his friends were playing Minecraft, so I was considering buying it and trying it out with him. I don't want to buy any more console games, but I figure I could stream it to the basement TV so that we could sit on the couch and play.

Has anyone with a Steam Link tried streaming other games?

steam_sig.png
    So ends the worst work holiday in history. I'm actually excited to be going back. Birthday was a bust irl and the grand plans I had for it couldn't have happened but you guys.... Oh boy were you amazing. Not enough :heartbeat: for ya.

Gaming was slow to start given I was bed bound and using laptop in the first few days but I still managed to get through Murder (which was bloody amazing and I'm still not done with that yet) and made massive progress in Black Flag. I'm actually hopeful I'll beat it and possibly Unity before Syndicate is out. Rogue and Liberation don't count right?

Honestly, I could perhaps blast through Rogue and Liberation too if I was to halt my Destiny play. It is getting a bit boring now. Anyhow, it'll have to squeeze into the couple hours in the morning after work. It's still a months wait till Syndicate anyway, which is ridiculous in and of itself. I keep wanting to just nab it on Ps4 but I can hold! I'll make it!

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    So ends the worst work holiday in history. I'm actually excited to be going back. Birthday was a bust irl and the grand plans I had for it couldn't have happened but you guys.... Oh boy were you amazing. Not enough :heartbeat: for ya.

Gaming was slow to start given I was bed bound and using laptop in the first few days but I still managed to get through Murder (which was bloody amazing and I'm still not done with that yet) and made massive progress in Black Flag. I'm actually hopeful I'll beat it and possibly Unity before Syndicate is out. Rogue and Liberation don't count right?

Honestly, I could perhaps blast through Rogue and Liberation too if I was to halt my Destiny play. It is getting a bit boring now. Anyhow, it'll have to squeeze into the couple hours in the morning after work. It's still a months wait till Syndicate anyway, which is ridiculous in and of itself. I keep wanting to just nab it on Ps4 but I can hold! I'll make it!
    Rogue is excellent.

I would suggest not skipping that one.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    Should I play it before or after Unity? And if I'm remembering right Liberation is after 3but before Black Flag. So I'm one behind.

I'm also only doing main story quests and such. Trying to not veer off track too much in the interest of time.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    f3rret wrote: »
    So is the Steam Link only good for streaming Big Picture Steam games? My 6 year old was talking about how all his friends were playing Minecraft, so I was considering buying it and trying it out with him. I don't want to buy any more console games, but I figure I could stream it to the basement TV so that we could sit on the couch and play.

Has anyone with a Steam Link tried streaming other games?

Minecraft is not available on steam to begin with and I am 80% sure that Steam Link is only good for streaming steam games (doesn't matter if it's big picture or not).

So getting Minecraft streamed from one computer to the Link won't work, I think...

This discussion has been closed.