As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kind of a blah [Steam] sa.. OH GOD WOLFENSTEIN: TNO FOR $9!!

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    f3rret wrote: »
    So is the Steam Link only good for streaming Big Picture Steam games? My 6 year old was talking about how all his friends were playing Minecraft, so I was considering buying it and trying it out with him. I don't want to buy any more console games, but I figure I could stream it to the basement TV so that we could sit on the couch and play.

Has anyone with a Steam Link tried streaming other games?

As far as I know the Steam Link works just like Steam in-home streaming. Steam support says
    Streaming non-Steam games in the Steam library may work but is not officially supported.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I believe it'll work if it's running through Steam.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Should I play it before or after Unity? And if I'm remembering right Liberation is after 3but before Black Flag. So I'm one behind.

I'm also only doing main story quests and such. Trying to not veer off track too much in the interest of time.
    I'd say play it before since it plays exactly like Black Flag and it'll probably feel potentially awkward going back to that after any changes Unity might have made to the gameplay.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Well, I suppose I could always just get a Steam Link and Minecraft and test it myself. I'll use both of them individually, in any case. :)

f3rret on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    it will work as long as you add it via the non-steam games. its been confirmed to work by someone for some other game

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    So the second episode of that Minecraft Telltale game is out today. Which means there was only 2 weeks between episodes.

Wonder if this is Microsoft's work, not wanting their shiny new IP to be associated with Telltale's usual lax release schedule.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    So the second episode of that Minecraft Telltale game is out today. Which means there was only 2 weeks between episodes.

Wonder if this is Microsoft's work, not wanting their shiny new IP to be associated with Telltale's usual lax release schedule.

Is Telltale lax? I feel like the updates for Borderlands and Game of Thrones have been chunking along in a fairly timely manner. I mean, compared with Doublefine or Kentucky Route Zero, they're pumping new episodes out...

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »

Is Telltale lax? I feel like the updates for Borderlands and Game of Thrones have been chunking along in a fairly timely manner. I mean, compared with Doublefine or Kentucky Route Zero, they're pumping new episodes out...

...and who was that other company? Valve or something.

• Options

I mean, I don't think looking good compared to Kentucky Route Zero's release schedule is really saying anything positive.

Borderlands and Game of Thrones will have taken nearly a year to be released, and it was like 4 months for the second Borderlands episode. While a competitor like Dontnod can get Life is Strange out in 9 months on a fairly consistent schedule, with only the final episode deviating from a 2 month output.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

I mean, I don't think looking good compared to Kentucky Route Zero's release schedule is really saying anything positive.

Borderlands and Game of Thrones will have taken nearly a year to be released, and it was like 4 months for the second Borderlands episode. While a competitor like Dontnod can get Life is Strange out in 9 months on a fairly consistent schedule, with only the final episode deviating from a 2 month output.

I hear you, but to me that sort of puts Telltale and Dontnod together into the category of 'devs who can do a good 5-episode game in a year or less.' A year doesn't seem unreasonable to me for the quality Telltale's producing these days. Bundling them together seems mentally useful as it puts them in contrast with, like, everyone else doing episodic content?

With a game wardrobe overflowing, +- three months isn't a big deal to me. That said, I only start episodic games when they are all released, so I certainly understand others who started the series might be jonesing for a conclusion.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    so just to be clear, there really is a game called afterbirth? i thought it was a joke until i saw it in here a couple times. do you think the people that named it that know what afterbirth is?

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

I hear you, but to me that sort of puts Telltale and Dontnod together into the category of 'devs who can do a good 5-episode game in a year or less.' A year doesn't seem unreasonable to me for the quality Telltale's producing these days. Bundling them together seems mentally useful as it puts them in contrast with, like, everyone else doing episodic content?

With a game wardrobe overflowing, +- three months isn't a big deal to me. That said, I only start episodic games when they are all released, so I certainly understand others who started the series might be jonesing for a conclusion.

This is why I avoid getting into episodic games until they're done and finished. If the next episode takes four months to come out, I'm going to forget what the hell happened the last time or what I even did.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Petesalzl wrote: »
    so just to be clear, there really is a game called afterbirth? i thought it was a joke until i saw it in here a couple times. do you think the people that named it that know what afterbirth is?

Dead certain he knows.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options

It's an expansion to Binding of Isaac, a game filled with poop and the souls of aborted fetuses. It's intentional.

• Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

being The Binding of Isaac, I'm pretty sure they know

edit: beat'd twice :)
    Zxerol wrote: »

This is why I avoid getting into episodic games until they're done and finished. If the next episode takes four months to come out, I'm going to forget what the hell happened the last time or what I even did.

The only episodic game I bought before all the episodes were out was Tales of Monkey Island, I think I played the first 2 episodes as they came out and then it took me until this year to play the others because I'd forgotten about it

rikdaly on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Blimey, Alien: Isolation just got a 3.5GB patch and I can't find out what for. Anyone seen anything about that?

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular

I'm sure they are very aware.

Hello steam thread, it has been forever. Hope everyone had a good summer (how is it the end of October already?). Buying a house, being in in 2 weddings, and having a crippling HoTS addiction has kept me mostly away from steam in the past 4 or 5 months. New pinball tables brought me back though, and now my addiction is shifting over to Darkest Dungeon again. I've also picked up Deathstate and Renowned Explorers, both of which I highly recommend.

Deathstate is a twin stick/roguelike/bullet hell game, where you fire automatically at the closest enemy, so it's all about positioning and using your special abilities. I'm not a fan of most pixel art, but this game has a very unique take on that art style. It looks like you're playing on a broken VCR in the early 90's with the neon cranked way up, and I mean that in the best way possible. Some reviews say it is too easy, but it is plenty difficult for me and I don't see beating it any time soon.

Renowned Explorers is sort of like FTL with classic turned based battles. You move from point to point as you explore an island like in FTL, with each node giving different encounters and resources to collect. The battles are turn based, but you can approach battles in different ways depending on the 3 characters you selected at the start of your game (fighters, scientists, scouts, and diplomats). You can attack people, insult them, or be friendly. I haven't gotten very deep into these mechanics, but there seems to be some pretty deep gameplay in there. The game is very nice to look at and has a great quirkiness to it.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular

I think you'd like it.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    Blimey, Alien: Isolation just got a 3.5GB patch and I can't find out what for. Anyone seen anything about that?

Usually random large patches like that are a language pack or like a late repackaging of the base game to include the DLC files, even if not owned.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Binding of Isaac is such a great game. The first time I played it, I liked it but certainly didn't go crazy for it. Then I kept coming back and back and back. Then I bought the DLC, and the remake, and a copy for my 3DS. I think it is now squarely in my top 10 games of all time list if I were to sit and make one.

I really should get the expansion pre-ordered.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

They probably had to add more NOPE. Some of the old NOPE may have gone past its expiration date.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

They probably had to add more NOPE. Some of the old NOPE may have gone past its expiration date.

You say, "No," but the Xenomorph says "I insist."

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

Usually random large patches like that are a language pack or like a late repackaging of the base game to include the DLC files, even if not owned.

Wacky new costumes for the alien to wear on Halloween, like Cowboy Alien and Presidential Candidate Alien.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

According to the steam forums, the Linux and Mac ports went live today and there was glitch that temporarily granted all owners (including PC) the Season Pass.

That glitch has been fixed.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular

That or they were adding NOPE! in German, Italian, Chinese, etc.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

That or they were adding Nee!, No! (italian is lame), 没了!, etc.

lazy Mr. @Xeddicus lazy

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »

That or they were adding Nee!, No! (italian is lame), 没了!, etc.

lazy Mr. @Xeddicus lazy

Hm, Google Translate has let you down on the Chinese, I'm afraid.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

Aside from what has already been said, the creator of The Binding of Isaac Rebirth (and Afterbirth) recently had his first baby and posted a picture of the actual afterbirth on his blog for the game. The blog is located here, with that post about 5 posts down.

• Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/413680/

I guess these devs liked the Doctor Who episode Blink. (though people who wouldn't like that particular episode are weird)

Not..exactly mentioned anywhere on the store page though but it is pretty obvious that is where they got the entire idea from.

• Options
    http://store.steampowered.com/sub/3047/

I think this is the first decent sale I've seen for Dawn of Discovery.

• Options
    Isorn wrote: »

I guess these devs liked the Doctor Who episode Blink. (though people who wouldn't like that particular episode are weird)

Not..exactly mentioned anywhere on the store page though but it is pretty obvious that is where they got the entire idea from.

I don't watch Doctor Who, but that game sounds neat.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    f3rret wrote: »

I don't watch Doctor Who, but that game sounds neat.

I have at least seen that episode and hell naw.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

Wacky new costumes for the alien to wear on Halloween, like Cowboy Alien and Presidential Candidate Alien.

We already have those in real life, but they wear human costumes to disguise their lizard form.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

Did they ever add that patch that didn't come to Steam?

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Fired up Grow Home last night to check it out a bit before bed.
    You get the idea pretty quick that the goal is pretty much climb around, pick up crystals, guide roots into glowy bits.
    So uh...I guess that's it, that doesn't seem like much.
    -2 hours later-
    Just two more crystals. Then I'll go to bed.

It's not super complicated, but it's got a nice look and feel and really progresses nicely. Good relaxation game.

• Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    New Humble Jumble Bundle 5 is up!

$1 Tier:
    Insurgency(Includes Conquer Update)
    Men of War: Assault Squad GOTY
    Abyss Odyssey Two Pack

BTA Tier:
    Blackguards 1 & 2
    Contagion 4pack
    More games coming soon

$9 tier:
    Spintires
    Divinity: Dragon Commander

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular

For a game about enemies that only move when you're not looking at them, it sure has a lot of footage of them moving.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh hey, GTA V is now actually on sale.

Too bad they made me all bitter when they jacked up the price in order to give it a fake discount earlier in the year. Not that it will affect their bottom line in any way, but I just removed it from my wishlist.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

I've always found it more than a little funny that the OMG YOU MUST SEE THIS EPISODE of Doctor Who is the one where the Doctor himself is only in it for about a minute of screen time.

Not that it isn't good, mind you.

• Options

Did they ever add that patch that didn't come to Steam?
    I want to say yes. IIRC the game was removed from Steam for a while and came back with some of the DRM removed and a patch.

This discussion has been closed.