As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Just Cause 3: Out now!

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Because most of the gameplay revolves around the following conceit... "Why are you doing that?" and the answer is "Just Cause".

See cow video above.

and that's considered a pun? good to know i guess.

Yes.. it means both "a cause that is important", a cause that is justified, but also an abbreviation of "just because". That's literally a pun.

edit: and obviously, they were trying to send that cow to the moo-n.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    So I'm hype about this. I had great fun in just cause 2 because of the parachute/grapple system. I love movement systems.
    The wing suit system in this game is going to fucking blow my mind. I can already tell. I'm going to spend hours doing the craziest possible shit. The sense of speed is already exhilarating just watching it. One of the minor problems I had with the movement in the first game was the slight awkwardness of the large parachute. It felt a little clumsy at times. The wingsuit looks as precise as you are. I may never use the parachute again.
    I love how they just don't give a damn about fall damage in this game.
    In the achievement hunters video, the first guy is trying to learn it and keep smacking into things (I can relate buddy!) and at one point he collides head first with a large rock. Which cracks. Rico's fine though.

Also, those achievement hunter guys? That's how you market your video game. They try everything. Take note marketers everywhere. Nobody cares about your obviously scripted bullshit. Give us everything warts and all. Give us glorious stupidity. Give us unintentional awesomeness. Give us deliberate attempts to fuck with the system.

Show us play.

That is how you sell a game.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    I think that they were playing a press build designed to show off how cool stuff was though, so I suspect that video showed off some kind of developer only godmode. I hope I'm wrong, but I would assume the regular game is going to have fall damage.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I doubt it, simply because nobody will ever use the wingsuit, because it clearly takes a while to figure out how to use it and if you could actually die learning it'll never get used.
    It felt like an intentional change, since if they fell from high enough they did get seriously screwed up and it took a while to recover. Rico was all rolling around going ARG OMG SHIT.
    I haven't watched them all yet, did they ever try just straight free falling from really high to see if they could actually die from fall damage?

Basically I think they made it so that it takes a lot of speed to kill you, so you can survive more stuff, rather than, say, GTA style two story realistic deaths, which seriously crap on what you can do.. Just Cause 2 you could already fall a decent distance without dying so this wouldn't be completely out of sync with how they do things.
    Rico's always been able to take a ridiculous amount of punishment.

Also a small thing that I thought was really impressive. When you are low on health, everything goes monochrome except enemies, who glow brighter and more clear. So you can react with more precision to see and take out enemies when you really need it.

edit: Just looked it up to refresh my memory, and Rico could only die from fall damage in JC2 if he went into the sky diving animation. I don't think the wingsuit counts.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    I read a preview the other day that said if you smash into the ground at terminal velocity you just get some hazy red vision around the side of your screen. They didn't say whether this affected your actual health count or not, but they were adamant that it's no longer lethal

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Sounds good to me.
    Annnnnnd now when I get the game I'm going to try killing people by belly flopping onto them from above.

Splat.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Wasn't one of the funny quirks about JC2 that you could save yourself from falling to death by grappling the ground to pull you faster?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Wasn't one of the funny quirks about JC2 that you could save yourself from falling to death by grappling the ground to pull you faster?

Yes.

Grappling into the ground cancels your fall damage. Also if I remember right you didn't take any fall damage at all if you landed in water.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    The game didn't even try to be realistic. Rico broke the rules of physics because it was fun.
    It was a game, first and foremost, and all the better for it.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Wait a second, this game doesn't release for another goddamn month why am I getting hype in this thread why God

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Cos its gonna be gud.
    I don't hype easily.
    Those Achievement Hunter videos.
    They are hype.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    I have only watched a couple short videos.

Basically all I needed to know was Just Cause 2 was getting a sequel only with a wingsuit and more stuff to blow up and my dick shot up like my pants were a denim game of whack-a-mole.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Dev diary about the 'story' (who cares as long as you get to ride an ICBM).

• Options
    i clicked that

and then i realised i don't care about the story in just cause.

this isn't why im here.

so i closed the window

they could do whatever the hell they wanted and ill nod and smile and mentally calculate how long until i get to blow up something else.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    They have David tenant in it as an announcer on the propaganda speakers. I think they might actually have a crazy story in this one to boot.

• Options
    That will be a lovely bonus.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

"We apologize for the destruction of your gas station by our delivery personnel. There was a problem with... shipping."

• Options
    I love that they decided to remove gas stations from their chaos system so we could blow them up over and over and over.

• Options

I like that if you look close you can still see the confetti.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

You know, the logic part of me got annoyed that a ship fits in a container that small, and then the fun part of me piped in with "who the fuck cares how do I do that"

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »

You know, the logic part of me got annoyed that a ship fits in a container that small, and then the fun part of me piped in with "who the fuck cares how do I do that"

Logic is irrelevant when it comes to dropping a goddamn ship from orbit on an enemies head. :lol:

• Options

The logic part of me was beaten to death instantly by the other part, which is a lot bigger and gets a lot more exercise.

• Options
    There was a developer presentation at PAX AUS, skip to 3:42:10 to find it, they show off some pretty awesome stuff.

• Options
    theres also a gif floating around of someone attaching c4 and rockets to a cows ass and turning it into an unguided missile

• Options

The ship is inflatable.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I just watched the PAX presentation. They've removed everything that's annoying me with my current playthrough of Just Cause 2 - limited explosives, clunky supply drop system, and the slow speed of the parachute.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I just watched the PAX presentation. They've removed everything that's annoying me with my current playthrough of Just Cause 2 - limited explosives, clunky supply drop system, and the slow speed of the parachute.

I dunno, I'd say that the supply drops are still clunky... in that they make a giant *clunk* sound when they fall on things at terminal velocity.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Supply drops probably won't be allowed in missions, which is a shame, as I'd love to solve everything by dropping a battleship on it like some kind of third-tier Batman villain.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Supply drops probably won't be allowed in missions, which is a shame, as I'd love to solve everything by dropping a battleship on it like some kind of third-tier Batman villain.

They are allowed as long as you haven't done one too recently. So timed.

As long as you have collected something you can drop it an unlimited number of times. So yes you can drop a battleship on a lot of things in a mission if that is your cup of tea: I imagine it will cost in game $$ to drop a battleship.
    But hey you wanna become super rich and be Mr Battleship, go ahead, you just gotta wait a bit in between.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Probably makes more sense to drop like, a plane or a freight car onto a gas station rather than a boat.

If it survives the explosion, you get to fly/drive it away.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Probably makes more sense to drop like, a plane or a freight car onto a gas station rather than a boat.

If it survives the explosion, you get to fly/drive it away.

You'd be playing it wrong.

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    So

Many of us here are looking forward to JC3 because we played JC2 and found it to be pretty much a total blast. The basic gameplay loop of grappling around and blowing shit up is just a solid good time, and so intuitive nobody ever needs to look at the in-game database.

"The what?" I hear you say. The In-game database, of course! Home to totally unnecessary Bio pages for characters we only saw once and that tell us nothing new, "advanced combat techniques" tutorial pages that are appallingly un-creative in their suggestions, and bio paragraphs for each and every Colonel in the game.

That last part, the Colonel bios? I never knew what I was missing until yesterday when I got curious about the Database I had never looked at, and this is what I found:

plm5sMs.jpg

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
  • Options
    Sadly I'm not going to be able to afford this until probably january now.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I'm going to have no time. I'm too busy in the Commonwealth.

• Options
    edited November 2015
  • Options
    edited November 2015

http://fat.gfycat.com/ScalyApprehensiveChicken.gif

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    You can ride a fucking cow.

Morninglord on