As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dark Souls] III | 三 | Drei | Tres | Trois

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    So, managed to hit all my goals: Havel's Ring on the third try, Elite Knight Set, killed the big stone lightning demon next to the Parish blacksmith because why not, killed the Capra demon. Decided to press on at that point, hoping for a nearby bonfire. Went through the kitchen, down the garbage chute, found the world's largest rat, so I threw fireballs at it from the ledge above. Then, while exploring further, fell in another hole, and a bug-eyed frog thing cursed me and turned me to stone. :P

I'm going to have to ponder that one.

Houn on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    Edit: In the past some of you have mentioned hackers being a common problem, what are the common signs to look out for? I don't think I've dealt with that, any PvP I've had has generally been quite fair.

Don't play on PC basically, because none of the PC ports so far had protection against people running Trainers.

Hackers/Trainers/Cheaters are the only reason why I'm buying DS3 on PS4 instead of PC.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Edit: In the past some of you have mentioned hackers being a common problem, what are the common signs to look out for? I don't think I've dealt with that, any PvP I've had has generally been quite fair.

Don't play on PC basically, because none of the PC ports so far had protection against people running Trainers.

Hackers/Trainers/Cheaters are the only reason why I'm buying DS3 on PS4 instead of PC.

For the moment, though, I'm glad I have DS1 on PC. I actually did try it on PS3 some time ago, but returned it after a few hours because the blurry textures, jaggy edges, and stuttering frame rate gave me an instant headache. Running it in crisp 1080p with AA enabled at a smooth 30 is so much nicer.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Well, shit. I need to finally play DS2, I guess...

• Options
    Purging Stone costs 6000 souls.

So, really, being cursed means "Fuck you, half health unless you go grind." Not a fan. I don't mind death at this point, but this is malicious. :P

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    It's fun being invaded on my SL1 character in the Undead Parish or Burg, with a max upgraded pyromancy flame and Raw Reinforced Club +5.

They don't expect to be roasted by a great combustion for about 700 damage :twisted:

Queuing up in the Darkroot Basin area after being summoned, watching my host and an invader duke it out, while standing next to another invader as we both calmly watch the proceedings.. it's all quite civilized.

99% of the "hacker" issues is just bad netcode and the matchmaker matching you on the other side of the planet.

The final 1% is some person walking around with a billion lightning bolts and arrows shooting out from him in every direction.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015

You sidestepped the question quite neatly I must say.

I'll ask again, what are the signs to look out for on PC for hackers?

Edit: I'm not trying to be any kind of PC elitist/master race ass, but are the console versions more secure than the pc would be?

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Houn wrote: »
    Purging Stone costs 6000 souls.

So, really, being cursed means "Fuck you, half health unless you go grind." Not a fan. I don't mind death at this point, but this is malicious. :P

Yeah... it's pretty bullshit that they put Basilisks before you have good access to cures. Be very careful after the rat not to fall. You do not want to fall.

A divine blessing will also cure you, but they're rare. There might be one in firelink somewhere?

Oh, and there's a cheaper source for purging stones (but not by much):
    There's a merchant back at the first belltower after you ring it

One other source:
    Snuggly will give you two for a cracked red eye orb, and there are four in a chest in Firelink.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    If you're cautious, it's not hard to avoid curses. It took me a very long time to be caught by it, but it's really shitty when it happens.

6000 souls for a curse breaker is pricy at the time, though in the long run it won't set you back much.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yolo. I'm at the sewers bonfire with half health. Don't even care, I don't need health.

• Options

@Shimshai
    Look out for special effects being misused and all around going batshit crazy like this. Also, keep an eye out for if they take no damage on backstabs. No damage on regular hits is likely just the netcode being a goose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fmVxCI3pPA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VrXUN9pSBQ

The "hacking" issue on PC is vastly exaggerated. The overwhelming majority of hacking accusations are false positives that can be attributed to either bad netcode, player fault, or the opponent having superior gear (in DS2, soul memory does nothing to stop twinks. It just makes them jump through some extra hoops to get their high end gear).

In all likelihood you won't encounter a hacker over a campaign. Most of the "he's invincible claims" are entirely due to netcode issues. The few hackers that do mess with people tend to stick to PvP hotspots so that they're not stuck waiting searching for an opponent.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed the Guilty Gear X2 soundtrack, so thanks for those links :)

As for hacking, I've only played DS1, and that has only been in the last 6 months. I have to assume DS2, by virtue of being newer and more popular is a more likely target for shenanigans.

Shimshai on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    If you encounter them anywhere, I would bet that it would be in the Iron Keep by THE BRIDGE. You can't miss the bridge. It's the first landmark you reach upon entering the zone. Huge pool of lava. Dragon covenant summon signs (grey eyes) and red soapstone summon signs everywhere.

The bridge is one of the highest concentrations of player activity.

They might also frequent the PvP zones like the belltowers or the dueling arenas.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Yolo. I'm at the sewers bonfire with half health. Don't even care, I don't need health.
    If you ever need help at videogame, I am available. the depths are my goddamn stomping grounds.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »
    If you ever need help at videogame, I am available. the depths are my goddamn stomping grounds.

As I am cursed, I don't believe I can ask for help! :rotate:

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    It doesn't cost 6000 souls to break curse in Dark Souls. It costs a quick jaunt to see Ingward in New Londo and 1 soft humanity. It's a fun journey to make with half max health if you're low level. =)

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    at the moment, yeah. But 6K isn't that hard to come by. Even at this point.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    unless you're like me, and go all the way to the bottom of new londo, realize you're supposed to have the lordvessel, and say fuck it and kill ingward

i'm a need these purging stones

• Options
    Does he drop the key if you kill him before getting the Lordvessel? I had plans at one time to try and get that very large ember as early as I could but I thought I'd need the Lordvessel to proceed.

Killing the guy though, that might make all the difference.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    unless you're like me, and go all the way to the bottom of new londo, realize you're supposed to have the lordvessel, and say fuck it and kill ingward

i'm a need these purging stones

Or you're me, and you say fuck it, and just keep progressing through the Depths anyway, because I'm not in the mood to farm souls and I don't know where New Londo is yet.

• Options
    Do you have any souls in your inventory that you could pop to get up to 6000?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Do you have any souls in your inventory that you could pop to get up to 6000?

Probably. But then I'd have to walk back up out of the depths! Which admittedly isn't that far from the bonfire, I guess. Though I guess that the guy at the belltower sells stones for 3000, so if I was going to walk back out, that'd be my destination.

On the other hand, if I'm getting hit, I'm failing, so...

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Does he drop the key if you kill him before getting the Lordvessel? I had plans at one time to try and get that very large ember as early as I could but I thought I'd need the Lordvessel to proceed.

yeah he drops the key when you kill him

i went all the way down there and i'm like

i'll be goddamned if i'm going back through ghost house again

sorry bro

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular

Yes, he does. He used to be bugged on the PC version and sometimes not drop the key though, not sure if that's still the case.

• Options
    The wiki mentions it as a possibility so I'll assume yes, it might break that save. Eh, I suppose I could probably manually make a backup save, if I ever go down that route.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    So I've decided to try out a dual-welding dex build. What stats should I aim for and what weapons should I prioritize? I just beat Pursuer and Last Giant, so I'm not far in, and I've got a falchion and a scimitar upgraded to where I now need large titanite.

Any armour tips as well?

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    For dex, it mostly comes down to fashion souls.

There are some really good light armor sets, but a lot of them aren't available until later.

I usually mix parts of the leather set with that Explorer set. I might be getting the name wrong for Explorer. The merchant hag sells it. The hat has +item drop rate.

Mix in a piece or two of heavier armor if you want better defenses or poise, although you generally want to keep weight to a minimum to roll better.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    Later in the game it's hard to beat the Black Dragon set for light stuff. Really nice resistances for little weight.

Pretty quick to farm too, if you don't mind burning through 19 ascetics.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    That's armour covered then. What about weapon and stat tips?

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    It really comes down to what movesets you prefer. Personally I recommend not mixing similar weapons like you presently are with the scimitar / falchion. They both pretty much have the same move set, so imo that wastes some potential.

You can make some interesting moveset combinations by mixing Rapiers, curved swords, katanas, whips, Spears, halberds, bows, and daggers.

Do you want to parry things? Curved swords are popular for their offhand parry (but I can't pull off that parry for the life of me). Rapiers give up their R2 for a mainhand parry.

Do you want to simply be dual wielding or power stancing? Some weapons like the warped sword have a potent "spin to win" attack when powerstanced. Also, I believe powerstancing with a mainhand rapier is the only way to parry while power stanced.

On my dex character, I'm currently using the Espada ropera in my main hand and the mannikin sword (Saber?) in my off hand.

Generally I like taking advantage of the fact that many dex weapons are lightweight and swapping between weapons that mix up my fighting style mid fight. That tends to take some opponents by surprise.

Honestly the falchion is pretty amazing and can carry you through most anything.

Warped sword and manakin Saber are other curved swords that have some popularity.

The vanilla rapier is solid. Chaos rapier and Espada ropera are stat upgrades depending on your build, but anecdotally I think rapier has marginally better parry frames. Ice rapier launches a projectile attack that is good at finishing people. Spider's silk weighs next to nothing and can Pierce defenses with its r2. Estoc has the most reach and has a sweeping R2,but it's scaling is mixed between dex and str.

Puzzling stone sword is a unique weapon that is pretty great.

Helix halberd is pretty unique and was fotm for awhile.

Pretty much all of the katanas are great.

The only whips that really see use are old whip and spotted whip (poison build only).

Flyn's ring isn't a weapon, but it single handedly got people qqing over losing to lightweight dex builds. It is pretty much mandatory on most dex builds. It and your best ring of blades. Old Leo ring can be good if you use rapiers.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

@Shimshai
    Look out for special effects being misused and all around going batshit crazy like this. Also, keep an eye out for if they take no damage on backstabs. No damage on regular hits is likely just the netcode being a goose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fmVxCI3pPA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VrXUN9pSBQ

The "hacking" issue on PC is vastly exaggerated. The overwhelming majority of hacking accusations are false positives that can be attributed to either bad netcode, player fault, or the opponent having superior gear (in DS2, soul memory does nothing to stop twinks. It just makes them jump through some extra hoops to get their high end gear).

In all likelihood you won't encounter a hacker over a campaign. Most of the "he's invincible claims" are entirely due to netcode issues. The few hackers that do mess with people tend to stick to PvP hotspots so that they're not stuck waiting searching for an opponent.

Yeah, the netcode is bad enough it's basically indistinguishable from hacking, so who knows what you are dealing with half the time.

• Options
    I think a lot of blame can be piled onto the matchmaker.

Timing is super critical in souls combat. No matter the net code, it is impossible to have a good souls fight if I'm paired with someone on the other side of the planet. Even if there are no hangups in the network, the latency between us is simply too high. Even under best case scenarios, it simply won't work.

In order for have a good experience, strict regional matchmaking must be followed. I'm all for letting players opt to override the regional matchmaking, but regional should be the default.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Deified DataDeified Data Registered User regular
    My favorite hacker invaded me completely invisible, snuck up behind me and one-shotted me with a backstab. I revived with a curse and an egg head. Playful scamp.

• Options
    Every time I tackle the Stray Demon, I always get in a few stupid deaths.

Every time. It's not even that difficult of a boss. I think I just get complacent.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I decided to wander back up and lift the curse; found a Pyromancer along the way to teach me spells. Joy! Spent some time grinding souls to buy 4 Purification Stones: one for now, three for later. Took a side trip back to the Asylum and grabbed the Rusted Ring, and took a crack at the Stray Demon, but that's not happening right now, heh.

I really like the look of the Elite Knight Set, but I dunno if I can take listening to CHUNK CHUNK CHUNK CHUNK as I walk everywhere. Plus, I have no idea if the defense/poise is worth the trade of the resists on the Pyro starting gear.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I liked the pvp in ds2 a lot.
    I'm not arguing anything. I'm just throwing that out there.
    Yall might not have liked it, but I did.
    Played it on both PS3 and PC, I never actually encountered an actual hacker on PC.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    The PvP was great when the connection to your opponent was good and Soul Memory didn't have you facing off against a Havel Monster 500 levels higher than you.

Getting a good connection was a crapshoot.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I live in Sydney, Australia.
    We do not have good internet here.
    I mostly got a decent connection. I found that basically shocking, at the time. I still do, in fact.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Well you're a lot closer to any Japanese players than us in the States.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I decided to wander back up and lift the curse; found a Pyromancer along the way to teach me spells. Joy! Spent some time grinding souls to buy 4 Purification Stones: one for now, three for later. Took a side trip back to the Asylum and grabbed the Rusted Ring, and took a crack at the Stray Demon, but that's not happening right now, heh.

I really like the look of the Elite Knight Set, but I dunno if I can take listening to CHUNK CHUNK CHUNK CHUNK as I walk everywhere. Plus, I have no idea if the defense/poise is worth the trade of the resists on the Pyro starting gear.

Honestly... I think the pyromancer armor is the best of the starting sets. Good defense to weight and the resists are amazing (which is good because fuck Blighttown).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy