As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Camp Comic] Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - Meal Plan

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited October 2015 in Camp Weedonwantcha

image[Camp Comic] Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - Meal Plan

Meal Plan

Meal Plan

http://campcomic.com/comic/258

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    Ilze123Ilze123 Registered User regular
    I don't believe in the divorce theory anymore. I see a heartbroken man and the undying love of the son for the father.

• Options
    dbrakdbrak Registered User new member
    I absolutely see that. How on earth did this kid get left at camp!

• Options
    mecha_Billmecha_Bill Registered User regular
    He's wearing his wedding ring. Her apron is still on the hook. This is not the sign of a divorce. I'm guessing he just gives up and either the state or distant relatives take custody.

• Options
    briguybriguy Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    =[
    Hello darkness, my old friend. I've come to talk with you again.

Edit:
    The dad's watching The It Factor! Does the audience get to vote? I hope he voted for Dani.
    I'm also loving Fred's thinking faces.

Oh, man, Seventeen is pissed about having to wash her hands. Haha.
    Given the state of the camp, a little dysentery is probably the least of their worries.

briguy on
  • Options
    ImNotAnAthleteImNotAnAthlete Registered User regular
    I don't think it was divorce. His mom died. That's why the father is so sad and distant. Also if it was just divorce I'm pretty sure that the mother would have taken the apron. Since she loved cooking and the apron is still there I'm pretty sure she's dead. Also also Katie loves to go super dark with the campers pasts. Divorce simply isn't dark enough.

• Options
    FlaxSeedFlaxSeed Registered User regular
    What? No show about cats on TV? Awwww...

Right - "the feels" are coming slowly and slowly, but to lighten things up, seventeen expression is priceless. Well done

• Options
    darkmage0707077darkmage0707077 Registered User regular
    ...food poisoning...?

The way of the Paladin:
    To Seek,
    To Learn,
    To Do.
    -QFG2

If the speed of light is faster then the speed of sound, is that why people always appear bright until they speak? o_O
  • Options
    DublinDublin Registered User regular
    briguy wrote: »
    =[
    Hello darkness, my old friend. I've come to talk with you again.

Because a vision softly creeping left its seed while I was sleeping....

Yup. That song nailed it!

• Options
    OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    He's still wearing his wedding band...

• Options
    kidneymankidneyman Registered User new member
    His dad's ring, and his mom's ring could be the same ring. I say this because earlier his dad wasn't wearing anything on his left hand, while his mom was wearing an identical ring on her left ring finger. Now his dad is doing the same thing.

• Options
    ATF_GriffATF_Griff Registered User regular
    Ah why you do this? It's too early in the day for these kinds of feels.

• Options
    vhakravhakra Registered User new member
    Soon the dad dies from a broken heart and stomach. Then the state drops the young cook off at its favorite orphanage.

• Options
    Zorlock DarksoulZorlock Darksoul Registered User regular
    I don't believe it was divorce. If that was the case, I think the kid would be having memories of his mother, as well.

I also don't believe he would poison his father. Rather, I'm guessing the father eventually commits suicide, and the kid is shipped off to camp.

Dark stuff, in any event. I love the absolute extremes to which this comic travels. Silly, innocent humor coupled with heart-clutching sadness makes for one hell of a roller coaster.

• Options
    PublikwerksPublikwerks Registered User regular
    God, some of these are so depressing.

• Options
    rocktapusrocktapus Registered User new member
    Signed up just to post...

The feeling is even darker for what happened to the mother vs. cancer or an accident. Either a successful suicide attempt or an accident caused by the father. Or even worse death caused by something while cooking for irony instead of darkness.

Katie doesn't really reveal the whole story usually though, but I'm thinking Fred is either a Cinderella story (Dad married new wife, then passed away himself) or that Dad stopped caring and either wanted to move on and change life or stop living his own life as well.

• Options
    Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    Hmm, the father is wearing a ring in panel 10 but not in panel 11. What could this mean?

• Options
    addiesinaddiesin Registered User regular
    @ANON VON ZILCH

It just means he has two hands and wears the wedding ring on his left hand as is normal for a married person.

I think the implication of him still wearing the ring is that the mother died. Usually divorce is mutual and both sides stop wearing the ring. As Louie C.K. said in his stand-up, "No good marriage ever ended in divorce."

• Options
    You do have to appreciate how creative it is to come up with Beef and Nugget loaf with mashed fries. I can't wait to see what he came up with for the discarded food remnants.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    My thought is pretty much that the mom died, and the dad actually looks happy to be eating the food that someone made for him. I think it's possible that one of the reasons cooking is so beloved to the kid is not only that he has memories of cooking for his mom, but also that care was one of the few things that could lift his dad's spirits, if only for a little while.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    ShaunathanShaunathan Registered User regular
    Kitty found :D

• Options
    DragonDawn85DragonDawn85 Registered User regular
    Am I supposed to feel like my heart is being torn out? Because I feel like my heart is being torn out :(

• Options
    SargeSarge Registered User regular
    Mmmmmm.... beef and nugget loaf..... :D

• Options
    Sarge wrote: »
    Mmmmmm.... beef and nugget loaf..... :D

Meatloaf and mashed potatoes is one of my comfort foods, so I appreciate Fred's ingenuity on this one. :D

• Options
    DomstraeDomstrae Registered User new member
    What if the camp is like everyone's abandoned childhood or something deep like that.

• Options
    Android 21 3/7Android 21 3/7 Registered User regular
    ... I... almost don't want to see the ending of this story... I just want to stop it here... A boy and his father... sharing a bittersweet memory... The bleak present with the hope of a brighter future... But I know Fred is at Weedonwantcha. Man, I'm on the verge of tears here.

• Options
    summener99summener99 Registered User regular
    Here are some pointers that some people might have missed.
    1) He is still wearing the wedding ring
    2) He is in custody of the child regardless that the mother seem right
    3) He is in the original house as he were in previously while they were married
    4) He is not trying to forget the memory or thought or the mother.
    5) The child do not show/resent any guilt as to what may have happened

normally in a divorce, there are some sign from it. These are more of people trying to look past them.

As to Why he is in the camp. Maybe, just MAYBE. Fred was place in the camp for helping the campers survive with the food, or his father thaught that the child woould be living a happier life surrounded by what could be a family for him instead of a lonely house.

• Options
    Family isn't who you are born to, but those who want to be around you.
    Whatever happened to Fred's biological family at least he's found those who want him. All of them have.

Except for Neiman. :P

• Options
    HochDeutschHochDeutsch Registered User regular
    I think Summener99 is right that this was a death not a divorce. But now that begs the question: why would the dad have left Fred at camp?

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    Mom's apron is still on the hook too. I feel that's another big hint in support of Summener99's theory.

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    WestIndianAgoutiWestIndianAgouti Registered User regular
    I honestly believe that this may be the deepest backstory I've seen ever since I started reading Camp Weedonwantcha. It takes a special level of skill to combine and execute the dark and the light of a particular situation, and Katie does this excellently. I'm kinda beginning to see where Fred's past is going, but I hope to God it isn't suicide related on the part of the father.

• Options
    Talyn RahlTalyn Rahl Registered User regular
    Yeah... Momma's dead.

Thought it was a divorce, but she's clearly dead and that is even worse... Damnit Katie stop doing this to me :'(

• Options
    Twister2Twister2 Registered User regular
    Aww, you can see the dad smile a little.
    I'm worried the food has poison in it, since Wendy seems to suck so much.

• Options
    I know this may be a bit early, but I wanna just make a few assumptions / theories about Brian since we're on the subject of camper backstories at present (even though this particular series of flashbacks doesn't pertain to him). These may have been thought of before, but I still wanna give my deduction skills a try, so here I go : Theory #1: Brian lived in a home or household where he constantly faced abuse at the hands of either one or both of his parents. This, in turn, caused a deep seated sense of anger within him, which he has managed to keep pent up unless something triggers this anger. Additionally, he may have had a younger sibling or siblings, one of whom was a girl around Seventeen's age / appearance, whom also faced parental abuse. Brian, thus, often felt the need to protect this younger sibling, and violently so. This explains the reason why, even when away from his family, Brian so vehemently defends Seventeen, because she is a reflection or extension of his sister.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    @WestIndianAgouti totally agree. I think Brian has PTSD and has some kind of guilt for not being able to protect someone or possibly an animal. He's a kind soul that has to control his anger.

I am so anxious for his story to be revealed. I know it's going to make me sad, but he's such an awesome character that I want to know.

briguy on
  • Options
    Theory # 2 : Brian is diagnosed with a psychological disorder (similar to bipolar disorder or, more likely, selective mutism). He has a younger sister, who is also diagnosed with some psychological disorder, whether similar to his or not. They both share a common bond due to their shared disabilities, and Brian, being the older and tougher sibling, often strives to protect his sister from bullies, sometimes "snapping" and becoming aggressive due to his disorder. Their parents may not necessarily be abusive, but they don't give a s*** about their kids either way, thereby leaving Brian as the main protector. On one occasion, the bullying towards the sister is so severe that Brian enters a fit of rage and severely injures his sister's tormenters. This incident thus becomes justification for the parents to get rid of Brian, as he is considered "just another mouth to feed".

• Options
    Theory # 3 : This is by far the most unusual theory I'm postulating for tonight : Brian's family were wealthy businesspeople who were respected in their field and viewed as corporate visionaries. They had everything they could ever want and every luxury money could buy , from expensive cars, to the best food, to.....well, just about everything rich people like (I would say Caribbean vacations, but that would be self-promotion, wouldn't it? :3).......Anyway, Brian was as happy as could be with his life of luxury and opulence. Then, one day, he discovers that the usual maid has been replaced with a young girl with a foreign accent, who looks rather haggard and dirty. Brian, initially feeling shy, doesn't talk to her at first. However, as the days go by, he notices that she is becoming more frail, and there are unexplained marks on her face and arms. He eventually musters up the courage to ask her about herself, and in turn, find out more about the mystery girl. Brian learns that her name is Ameera, and she is from India. The girl tells Brian that she is from an ethnic group within India that is very in touch with nature and that they tried to prevent Brian's parents' company from authorizing the bulldozing of forests in her region. Their efforts, however, were unsuccessful, and as punishment, she and her family were placed into human trafficking to work as servants to wealthy businessmen. She was abused by Brian's father, hence the malnutrition and bruises. She reveals her trafficking number to Brian, tattooed on her arm : Number seventeen (17). Totally enraged, Brian attempts valiantly to help the poor girl escape, but is nonetheless apprehended by his father, and , as punishment for his betrayal, Ameera is sent away, never to be heard from again, and he is sent ultimately to Camp Weedonwantcha. His rage still exists to this very day, as well as his desire to protect Seventeen at camp, and to carry on the legacy of loving nature, taught to him by a kind, mysterious girl...

• Options
    @BRIGUY Whatever his backstory, I'm sure it will make me pretty sad as well, but I think there's hope at the end of the rainbow...or a pot of gold....go figure :P

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Yeah, I strongly hope that everything ends well. I've posted my ridiculous dreams for them before. I know there will be hardship and not all dreams will come true, but I want most to succeed at their dreams in life. They deserve it.

briguy on
  • Options
    OR! Another theory! The mom left the dad. The dad is gonna find a new flame, and the new flame doesn't want dad to keep Fred. Dad doesn't want to be lonely anymore, leaves Fred at camp.

• Options
    Theory # 3 : This is by far the most unusual theory I'm postulating for tonight : Brian's family were wealthy businesspeople who were respected in their field and viewed as corporate visionaries. They had everything they could ever want and every luxury money could buy , from expensive cars, to the best food, to.....well, just about everything rich people like (I would say Caribbean vacations, but that would be self-promotion, wouldn't it? :3).......Anyway, Brian was as happy as could be with his life of luxury and opulence. Then, one day, he discovers that the usual maid has been replaced with a young girl with a foreign accent, who looks rather haggard and dirty. Brian, initially feeling shy, doesn't talk to her at first. However, as the days go by, he notices that she is becoming more frail, and there are unexplained marks on her face and arms. He eventually musters up the courage to ask her about herself, and in turn, find out more about the mystery girl. Brian learns that her name is Ameera, and she is from India. The girl tells Brian that she is from an ethnic group within India that is very in touch with nature and that they tried to prevent Brian's parents' company from authorizing the bulldozing of forests in her region. Their efforts, however, were unsuccessful, and as punishment, she and her family were placed into human trafficking to work as servants to wealthy businessmen. She was abused by Brian's father, hence the malnutrition and bruises. She reveals her trafficking number to Brian, tattooed on her arm : Number seventeen (17). Totally enraged, Brian attempts valiantly to help the poor girl escape, but is nonetheless apprehended by his father, and , as punishment for his betrayal, Ameera is sent away, never to be heard from again, and he is sent ultimately to Camp Weedonwantcha. His rage still exists to this very day, as well as his desire to protect Seventeen at camp, and to carry on the legacy of loving nature, taught to him by a kind, mysterious girl...

Someone should make a movie out of this!