As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Girl Is an Excellent TV Show Now - Current Episode Spoilers Inside

QuidQuid Definitely not a bananaRegistered User regular
edited September 2016 in Debate and/or Discourse
LHBJqX0.jpg

It's... okay in my opinion. I really want it to be good. But it feels both forced and like it's holding back.

Still, it has some of the creators from Arrow and Flash so I'm willing to give it a chance.

Spoiler policy is the same as the Flash thread. Spoiler anything about future episodes but once it's aired it's fair game.

Quid on

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Dammit, Quid! You reminded me I was going to make a thread for this! You scoundrel!

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    IT'S A BUTTON RIGHT THERE

JUST CLICK IT

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I'll give any superhero show a few episodes to get going. They're usually introducing a bunch of characters which eats up story time.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I liked the first episode. The actress playing Supergirl was really good, pilot was just too many things at once.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I'll give any superhero show a few episodes to get going. They're usually introducing a bunch of characters which eats up story time.

Pilots tend not to be great in general, too. Supergirl's pilot was average, I did like the setting and the characters. Aside from the Timm-verse this is the best Supergirl I've seen. Good job, Team Berlanti. Benoist was perfectly cast.

Yeah my greatest hope right now is it's a pilot. I think it has potential and could be a lot better.

I'd like them to eventually cross-over with Flash. This Supergirl would love Barry.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    It didn't totally blow my socks off but it's certainly one I'll be keeping an eye on. The pilot was pretty solid, I thought, with a lot of promise and potential. Benoist is absolutely terrific, too. This could go places, I'm looking forward to more.

I've got a friend who's constantly trying to steer me towards some of the other stuff that's come around lately (that I won't name for fear of derailing the thread), but one thing I really like about Supergirl is that it feels a bit old-fashioned; it isn't trying to be too gritty or dark or any of the other things that everything apparently has to strive to be now. Which, in an oddly contradictory sort of way, is really refreshing.

Jazz on
    From here on out though I need every super hero to have someone charismatic back in comms telling the to do more with the thing.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    From here on out though I need every super hero to have someone charismatic back in comms telling the to do more with the thing.

"Kara, you need to make your heat vision 20% hotter."
    "How do I do that?"
    "I believe in you, Kara."
    "No, really, I need to know how to-"
    "We all believe in you."

Burn Kara burn!

No its, its just not the same!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    It didn't totally blow my socks off but it's certainly one I'll be keeping an eye on. The pilot was pretty solid, I thought, with a lot of promise and potential. Benoist is absolutely terrific, too. This could go places, I'm looking forward to more.

I've got a friend who's constantly trying to steer me towards some of the other stuff that's come around lately (that I won't name for fear of derailing the thread), but one thing I really like about Supergirl is that it feels a bit old-fashioned; it isn't trying to be too gritty or dark or any of the other things that everything apparently has to strive to be now. Which, in an oddly contradictory sort of way, is really refreshing.

I eagerly await the 'captured by Darkseid, brain washed into a Fury' arc.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

I didnt like the pilot, but based on your second paragraph, I think you would like flash. I'd say its a solid in between, if leaning on campy fun instead of murder machine arrow. But I also liked murder machine arrow so, who knows.

I was surprised at the positive reviews for this show? I liked stuff dealing with supergirl, hated everything else, but then there were some supergirl moments I didnt care for either. Someone pointed out to me the reviews so far are based on seeing the first few episodes, so I'll check out a few more then decide.

(The adoptive parents cameo was a great touch though.)

steam_sig.png
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I really liked the first episode. It was very 'pilot-y' but still enjoyable. It gives me Lois & Clark vibes, and I'm ok with that.

They were really trying to shove 'girls can be heroes too' message down our throats with the pilot, so I hope they tone that down and just show Kara being awesome regardless of her being a girl.

Also, my biggest surprise was Flockhart as Cat Grant. I actually liked her quite a bit in the role. Several of her lines made me laugh, from the elevator line to the request to cancel her therapist.

I also enjoyed both the actor that played Schott and Jimmy. Both did a great job.

I'm just happy to finally have a new Superman related show to watch. It's been too long.

Now here's to hoping that DC allows them to cast someone as Superman so he can guest star periodically and give Kara someone on her level to talk to.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • 411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    I liked it, but I feel like you could make a drinking game out of every time they avoid saying the word "Superman".

There would be no survivors.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
    edited October 2015
    They said Superman once.

But they referenced him constantly with every other word ever. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I would be so happy if Kara was in the Arrowverse.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    I would give a leg to see her and Barry awkwardly interact with each other.

Then throw in Cisco and Felicity and you have one huge, goofy, awkward party! :tell_me_more:

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    I'd like them to eventually cross-over with Flash. This Supergirl would love Barry.

Barry would fit right in, but part of me hopes that they can do a "World's Finest" plot with a cast member of Arrow as well.

steam_sig.png
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Now here's to hoping that DC allows them to cast someone as Superman so he can guest star periodically and give Kara someone on her level to talk to.

Supposedly Superman's not going to appear on this show. *sigh*

I would give a leg to see her and Barry awkwardly interact with each other.

Then throw in Cisco and Felicity and you have one huge, goofy, awkward party! :tell_me_more:

http://www.craveonline.com/art/857781-flash-met-supergirl-hollywood

The first photo is adorable.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I really liked the first episode. It was very 'pilot-y' but still enjoyable. It gives me Lois & Clark vibes, and I'm ok with that.

They were really trying to shove 'girls can be heroes too' message down our throats with the pilot, so I hope they tone that down and just show Kara being awesome regardless of her being a girl.

Also, my biggest surprise was Flockhart as Cat Grant. I actually liked her quite a bit in the role. Several of her lines made me laugh, from the elevator line to the request to cancel her therapist.

I also enjoyed both the actor that played Schott and Jimmy. Both did a great job.

I'm just happy to finally have a new Superman related show to watch. It's been too long.

I know people are going to think this claim has some kind of racial motivation, but I think Jimmy is massively miscast.

Jimmy can be black...im okay with that. but Jimmy is not a 6 foot tall smooth talking basketball player. Hes a short, geeky, badly dressed kid with a fan obsession.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    I like that Jimmy is captain smooth, because Jimmy err James was badly in need of a rewrite.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited October 2015
    It's funny you say that. I told my wife that the actor is way too cool to be Jimmy.

But he sold me. I thought the actor was great and his chemistry with Kara was believable.

Edit: If you remember too, Lois & Clark during the first season also had a Jimmy that was too normal/cool to fit the part.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I've never really liked that flying pose. It would make a lot more sense if she was holding a bug shield in the outstretched hand, or something.

• DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    I wasn't sure about this show, but I genuinely liked the pilot. They cheerfully breezed past a lot of stuff that I wanted to just see get out of the way. Inside of 20 minutes she has explained her origin, performed a major superheroic act, gained a confidant, got her costume and started superheroing.

The only real awkwardness was talking about Superman without talking about him. I'm hoping they got most of the frame up so they can kinda just ignore him for the most part, and not be dropping his name every few scenes. (I will say it seems really weird that Clark finding another Kryptonian alive would just kinda drop her off with an adopted family and not really spend time with her after that)

Benoist did a great job carrying the plot forward and establishing the character. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    I liked this Jimmy. It's nice that after however many years being the awkward kid following Supes he eventually grows up in to a mature and collected person.

Yeah people that don't want an adult Jimmy are like people who don't want Peter Parker to ever stop being a loser.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah people that don't want an adult Jimmy are like people who don't want Peter Parker to ever stop being a loser.

<<<---likes adult Peter Parker

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Pilot was okay but just overpacked with stuff they wanted to rush through for setup. I guess they couldn't get ABC CBS to spring for a 90 minute pilot or something.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    They couldn't even get CBS to let it be on at a normal time period for an hour long show.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    They couldn't even get CBS to let it be on at a normal time period for an hour long show.

What's up with that?

It was apparently just for this week? I dunno I think its that they didn't want to move Big Bang until they put it back on thursdays. Which I'm sure might have helped Supergirls ratings among the normal cbs watcher (your grand parents) but maybe not with the not standard viewer who didn't want to in theory give up watching two frigging shows to watch one.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    It was apparently just for this week? I dunno I think its that they didn't want to move Big Bang until they put it back on thursdays. Which I'm sure might have helped Supergirls ratings among the normal cbs watcher (your grand parents) but maybe not with the not standard viewer who didn't want to in theory give up watching two frigging shows to watch one.

Isn't it meant to compete with Gotham? Or was that scrapped?

I don't think its meant to compete with Gotham, since Supergirl in one episode is already on another plane of existence from gotham.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I had several problems with this episode that have been mostly gone over here.

It feels forced. Maybe they just tried to shove too much into one hour.
    I'm all for girl power but did you need to shove it down our throats quite that hard? Just make her awesome. The rest will fall into place.
    She literally tells the most random dude her secret almost instantly. Why does she trust him? We don't know.
    They absolutely REFUSE to even say the word Superman. I understand that this is her show. That's fine. But she's a part of his mythos, it needs to be addressed. It's like having a political drama set in congress and being unable to say the word President. It's like they are ashamed.
    Etc...

However, there is one big problem that REALLY pulled me out of it. A single word even.

"Kryptonese"

That can't be a thing, can it?

-edit-

Oh god after searching, yes, it is. Why any writer thought Kryptonese sounded better than Kryptonian I have no idea.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    I just realized something: Is the "-ese" suffix pretty much only used for Asian languages?

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Well, there's Portuguese.

And Maltese. It's also commonly used to describe a type of jargon.