As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Music While Gaming aka. "My bard is not gay."

MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGELDU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Critical Failures
Alright, this topic is here to discuss music you guys listen to while either rolling those dice, painting those miniatures or running a quest in your parents basement. Also, don't get me started on you MMORPG role players and your 5-line emotes just to tell me that your character is tired. God, I can't stand you types.

So, what do you listen to? Is it different depending on whatever game you play? Etc?

Oh, and I'll plug this: http://www.radiorivendell.com/

“Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
Morgenstern on

• Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Godspeed You! black Emperor is awesome, especially if you can time the more epic parts of the songs to match up with what's going on.

Early Ulver, Satyricon, or any other folk-influenced black metal.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    If your bard isn't at least a little gay, you're not doing it right.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    We once had a fat ugly guy that couldn't sing play a bard, and he kept trying to sing. We all had hush him. Not only that, he did it at realy bad times and it would alert all kinds of things. He tended to have to fight things alone because noone helped him; they all wanted him to die.

Of course when he died, he made his new character a bard. Apparently, he wrote out pages of shitty songs and didn't want them to go to waste. In real life he also wore a fedora with a feather in it; he was quite eccentric.

Not quite what you were looking for, but whatev. My group doesn't usually listen to music, because as for actual real music you would buy, we have differing tastes (read: some people in the group have bad taste, so we've all agreed none is better than some), and the fake tavern music just seems like too much work and like it wouldn't have an effect after a while. And since fighting in RPGs is generally disproportionate, action themes are pointless; you can't keep that action tempo going for three hours of a massive battle that takes 45 seconds in game. Badmouthing music probably isn't what you were looking for either. I did run one game where I turned on the black mages final fantasy VII battle theme for a fight though. Everyone cheered :)

EDIT: As for gay bards, we once had a person play a bisexual bard. What made it hilarious was that we had a paladin that a girl who disguised herself as a guy. The bard charmed her, got her down and was like, "Huh? What the hell? Oh well!" Also, he would flirt with every party member, but in hilarious fasion.

piL on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2006
    I made an MP3 CD that I play that has Blind Guardian, Falconer, Iron Maiden, Manowar, Bolt Thrower, a little Slayer, Mastodon and some other goodies sprinkled in. Great fucking background music.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I made an MP3 CD that I play that has Blind Guardian, Falconer, Iron Maiden, Manowar, Bolt Thrower, a little Slayer, Mastodon and some other goodies sprinkled in. Great fucking background music.

Pretty close to what I'd play, although I like to toss soundtracks in too: Gladiator and especially Conan: the Barbarian.

Bolt Thrower during a 40k game is so awesome it makes me want to punch a baby.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    The sound track from Icewinddale always did pretty good for me.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    Mad JazzMad Jazz gotta go fast AustinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I had a DM who would use evanescence as the IG music when the party was listening to one of the NPC bard chicks sing.

It made me sad, but the campaign was pretty good otherwise.

Mad Jazz on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2006
    Any sites with good, free video game (especially RPG) soundtracks? They would make for good background songs.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    The Advent Children soundtrack is pretty solid RPG background music, as is the music from Final Fantasy Tactics.

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    Big MutantBig Mutant Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    These guys are pretty good

My group is a big fan of tossing as many CD's (of suitable themes for the game your running, of course) as you can and letting the randomness of it dictate the mood. It works remarkably well. The DM will initiate encounters sometimes only because the music dictates it. And you don't need booming music for the fight scenes, either. It adds suspense to fight to a classical piece. You just seem that much closer to death. :D

And when it doesn't fit, just skip to the next song.

Big Mutant on
  • Options
    Captain UglyheadCaptain Uglyhead Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Heh. Loreena McKennit's fun, but only if youse gots a lady bard.

Y'know, I don't think I've ever heard of many lady bards. Curious, that.

Of course, I did recently come into 2 CD's worth of Dragonforce tunes, as well. Good times.

Captain Uglyhead on
    Spiderweb Software makes fun, reasonably priced games for PCs and Macs. Big demos, too!
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    It's pretty awesome when you have music that you can change for battles/travel/etc, just like a console RPG. This goes really great with a game like Exalted.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    learethleareth Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    While playing DnD -

Bands: Dead Can Dance, Enigma, Quinn, Uman, Mozart's Requiim, Danzig's Black Aria (Out of print and delightful, get it if you can!), and Garmarna.
    Soundtracks: Conan the Barbarian, , The Crow (the score actually), Braveheart, Gladiator (same lady as in Dead can Dance BTW), Hero, House of the Flying Daggers and Immortal Beloved.

While Playing Shadowrun/Paranoia/Cyberpunk -

Bands: Hooverphonic, Disturbed, Switchblade Symphony, Gary Numan, and NIN.
    Soundtracks: The Crow, Blade Runner, Hackers (to annoy the players), and Ghost in the Shell.

While Painting: Ummm... could be anything really... but lately it's been a lot of Tom Waits.

leareth on
  • Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Well, I can sing but my Bards typically recite poetry instead of me trying to a capella freestyle. That almost always ends badly.

I got mad props because my Bard would invoke spells with a verse that basically described what he wanted to do. That and Dwarven Bards get props period.

Ardent on
    Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    If I ever run a Legend of the Five Rings or whatever it is called Samurai themed campaign, I am so busting out my Okami soundtrack.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I think remixes from Relics of the Chozo would be pretty solid background music for gaming.

http://smproject.ocremix.org/

edit: link

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2006

He wants music to game by, not music to fuck by. :P

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    DarkPrimus wrote:

Fucking to Blind Guardian must be pretty epic though.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    DarkPrimus wrote:

Fucking to Blind Guardian must be pretty epic though.

Fucking to music from Mastodon would be appropriate since Mastodon would be an apt name for my cock.

Since I'm so hairy.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    AchtungBabyAchtungBaby Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Im not much of a fan of having metal on my D&D sessions. I usually use the soundtracks of both Icewind Dale and both soundtracks of Conan the barbarian (Oh well, anything from Basil Poledouris works)

AchtungBaby on
    Animal Crossing: 2534-9952-2348 Asgard, Hugo

Pokemon Pearl: 2577-9731-8070

Contact - 0043 9563 6121
  • Options
    DeepQantasDeepQantas Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    leareth wrote:
    While Painting: Ummm... could be anything really... but lately it's been a lot of Tom Waits.
    <3

And the earth died screaming...

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I used to DM for a guy that would insist on playing Godsmack every time he went into rage. He even brought the little CD player with him and started it at the appropiate time.

Once when he left the room to use the bathroom, we replaced the CD with Alvin and The Chipmunks Sing Christmas. He came back in, got into a fight, and prepared to turn on his 'rage music'.

The look on his face was priceless.

Mr Pink on