As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Ark: Survival Evolved] Current PA Server Closing 6/6, Long Live the New Server

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Do not try to solo is what I'm hearing. Stories of whole tribes bringing 200+ level dinos and getting destroyed.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    That is both insane and annoying. And possibly a reason to take a save snapshot of the server and store it elsewhere in case it just destroys everything.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    It looks like falling damage is rather effective though. So you could lead it off a cliff with flyers a bunch?

Unless they decide to patch that.

• Options
    I'm also wondering if it's a singular spawn . . .

• Options
    PrincessMasterChiefPrincessMasterChief Registered User regular
    While waiting for the server to be up I ran around in single player to check out the new stuff and after picking 10 tombstones I got a system message that the Dodorex had been summoned.

• Options
    Alright, now hearing more concrete numbers, groups of 6ish high level dinos can kill it the normal way, at least for the low level dodorexes.

Luckily with eggs I can afford to lose my parent spinos, although I would be very sad about it. But they are technically expendable. Their son is the best parts of both of them.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    I do not tame expendable dinos. That's really my problem. I would not be willing to lose any dino to that thing; it's just not worth the risk.

If it's not a low-to-no risk way to kill it, I'm basically uninterested. :confused:

Edit: and along with the hard hit to behemoth gates (because PvP balance), this update is really getting me down. Which sucks ass, because I really love Halloween.

And then this:
    Imagine how many smug, super tier tribes have or are charging this thing in overconfident attacks and getting killed.

PvP server I'm part of had an a$$-hole tribe that borderline griefed everyone. They set out with multiple level 150-200+ Rexes, Argens, a Quetz with turrets, and Spinos. The dodorex won.

And now we are plotting out revenge while they are vulnerable, some are even planning on kiting the D-Rex to their base. Blessed at thee Lord Dodorex, for you have liberated us.
    TheRightHand [developer]
    Working as intended.

- The Right Hand

Yeah, a saved server backup of before this all hits would be really nice, since they didn't even once consider what this might do to PvE. Or they did and just don't give a fuck.

Kalnaur on
  • Options
    azhaisazhais Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Karoz wrote: »
    Here I though nothing could kill my enthusiasm for taming spiders but they found a way.

Oh well, I'm long overdue for a break from this game anyways.

I'm not sure I get the problem.

And yeah, they patched the patch to make the gate materials more "reasonable".

Passive taming is the single worst feature they've added is probably the problem

Eagerly awaiting the gigantosaurus being a passive tame that takes 36 hours and has to be fed juvenile rexes

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BeornKBeornK Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm gonna recommend a saved server back up just in case. It sounds like Like the dodo rex is super op. I'd be okay with losing some dinos, but I don't want to lose my entire base especially if I'm offline at the time. The whole crank the numbers higher to make *more* game play is making me less and less interested in ARK right now.

If it wrecks all of someones base a I think a roll back is not unreasonable. That said I think if you go looking for one you get should get what ever happens.

Apparently the best way to kill it is to either:
    1) drown it
    2) kite it off cliffs
    3) Have a huge active clans with 10+ max level t-rexes

The Behemoth gate nerf is really dumb too. The dev's don't seem to realize that limits on building and frame rate mean you need behemoth walls if you don't want to hit the structure limit or tank frame rates near big bases. I'm having issues with structure pop in with my base already and its not a truly big one either. The need to add a Behemoth wall...

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    Yeah, seriously... i get massive lag spikes near my current base now, its pretty ridiculous... they've needed to fix the beth wall/gate thing for *ages* and now seemingly at random they've sneaked a 'fix' in that completely misses the point.

And ontop of missing the point, you can tell it was half assed by the fact you couldn't even *make* the stone gate...

1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    Apparently behemoth gates are way way worse for performance than walls of the same size

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm not surprised since they're one of the last things to pop in at my place.

Apparently, though, even after they "fixed" it you have to have a carry of . . . 400, I think? To even make a Stone Behemoth Gate. I understand it's meant to encourage using actual wall items, but I think people can be excused for thinking that would be utterly tedious. I mean, I did it and still think it was utterly tedious.

• Options
    Suddenly Behemoth Gate BPs become super desirable.

• Options
    Also, annoying that there are still no stone tier BPs.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    azhais wrote: »
    Apparently behemoth gates are way way worse for performance than walls of the same size

I don't see how... i mean, to fill the same size of a behemoth gate you need, what? 16 walls? plus three/four fence posts... and i assume there is a difference between actual 'lag' and pop-in, although I'm not sure.

Either way, lag issues aside, walls themselves are tedious *and* resource intensive to have the minimum 'four high' that you need.

Heroth on
    1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Server is updated, back online and saved.

• Options
    Heroth wrote: »

I don't see how... i mean, to fill the same size of a behemoth gate you need, what? 16 walls? plus three/four fence posts... and i assume there is a difference between actual 'lag' and pop-in, although I'm not sure.

Either way, lag issues aside, walls themselves are tedious *and* resource intensive to have the minimum 'four high' that you need.

The general assumption is that it is because they open and close vs just sit there like a wall, so they end up with a larger framerate hit than the walls

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Heroth wrote: »

Yeah, walls are a pain. Yesterday I started trying to wall my area a little, and I noticed I'm going to need hundreds of walls, and foundations are INCREDIBLY annoying to set up anywhere that isn't nearly flat without much underbrush at all.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Plus I get the feeling that walls are all one small item, so it uses less memory to "remember" them.

• Options
    Apparently the Dodorex will spawn in one place and not move unless aggroed on a player. It won't wander. Not sure if it will go after tamed dinos if by some miracle it spawns near them.

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Oh wow, the dodorex news are really grim, Im glad you guys are totally on top of it and saved the server.

Having said that, I thought the halloween update was something optional, cant we just disable it and skip the pvp oriente shenanigans ?

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    Got to talking about the Dodorex in-game and how they can supposedly destroy metal structures and then got onto metal spike barricades... (sorry forgot your name)

Mostly about how Alphas one-shot them, or used to... anyway so i went and tested it in single-player and to let you know, they indeed have fixed it, Alphas no longer one-shot metal spike barricades although they can still damage them.

Also managed stumble on a 120 Paracer right near my base so I've got one tamed up, ready to be my mobile base when i return from hiatus! although it did sink 10k (how ever many levels that is) worth into food... so, not super great but...

1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Grah. Building in this game can be so frustrating sometimes. Thinking you've snapped foundations and only noticing there was a point where you didn't and now you have a hole that can't really be patched when you've laid thirty foundations more, yay.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Drascin wrote: »
    Grah. Building in this game can be so frustrating sometimes. Thinking you've snapped foundations and only noticing there was a point where you didn't and now you have a hole that can't really be patched when you've laid thirty foundations more, yay.

What I do is
    a.)Hit every supply drop, even white ones and save all building materials
    b.)Use that salvaged material plus thatch building items to roughly lay everything out.
    c.)Replace thatch with high grade materials as you harvest them.

The 'trick' is to remember that even weak ass thatch can serve as an effective barrier by both preventing dino spawns around it and the LoS/agro distance buffer it provides.

• Options
    Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

Yeah, got a small gap in one corner of my pen fence from this and I swore everything was snapped properly. Lesson learned. Next time I'll lay no more than 6 fence foundations then toss thatch walls on top to make sure, that way I'll only lose a few foundations if something is messed up.

• Options
    The official forums are currently losing their goddamn minds over the Behemoth Gate changes, like they weren't expecting some sort of increase in materials cost someday.

Also the usual complete lack of awareness that the devs will probably fix things relatively soon.

In unrelated news, tonights patch mentions Dodorex AI upgrades. Not sure what those are, but they still haven't nerfed falling damage or drowning, so those must be valid tactics.

• Options
    @Muddbudd, I left the now Juvie Quetz with 2 troughs full of food in the hopes that it will carry it until morning (not feeling so hot and may hit the hay early). If you have the inclination, could you please check on the troughs for it when you get on? If it needs more, there should still be some cooked meat in the breeding area fridges.

• Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    So my raptor went nuts. I had just picked up some gravestones, mounted it and realized I was too heavy. So I dismounted, and it proceeded to attack everything in site. Like it was a wild raptor, just moving from one thing to the next. I caught up with it for a minute and saw that it was still on passive. And it wasn't looting anything (someone brought up that victim recovery thing). And just kept running around till it died.

Which is frustrating because now I'm back to walking everywhere.

But I guess I don't have to worry about it dying while I'm offline now? So yay?

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DragoonExMachinaDragoonExMachina Registered User regular
    That's...bizarre.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    That's why I never really liked raptors for mounts. The get overburdened so easily.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Supposedly the Dodorex no longer takes fall damage and only drowns when fully submerged for 10m or more now.

However. It can't breath fire while swimming and I believe has limited attacks, and people suspect it might actually take more damage while swimming.

• Options
    LOL... I have a "problem"... it involves having way, way too much meat. Took a rex and anky adventuring (looking for skelesaurs) last night. Came home with a bone raptor skin, 3 rex helmet skins, about a thousand hide, and literally dozens of stacks of meat... oh, and some really nice gear and a pretty blue frog (tamed with some of that meat and mostly prime off the local paracers (which added to the overall meat problem).

All said and done, a really great evening, but now I either have to let all this meat go to waste or build several more bins (don't have power set up yet, waiting on the new building). Ark first world problems. :P

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Here's what you do. Fly to the large island in the southwest corner. Look for a big mansion on top of a rock. There will be a landing platform on the side facing the ocean, with a baby Argent and a baby Direwolf on it. Land there. Take the ramp down to the room below, where there is a trough. Fill the trough with all your extra meat. And the fridge too.

If you still have more meat to get rid of, there are two more troughs and another fridge down further on the rock that you can also fill with meat :)

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Mister Bird was taken to his new home in the wee hours of this morning. And by taken I mean walked cause that motherfucker forget it was a bird at least until 25 feet from it's new home. Then it is was 'the ground is for suckers'. as of 3 this morning it is in the egg hut, property of the Warboys.

Mister Wolf AKA totes adorbs weddle baby corgi puppyface was moved into the barn because I was scared of bats... and spiders...and zombie dodos... and Halloween.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Mister Wolf AKA totes adorbs weddle baby corgi puppyface

I require pictures.

• Options
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Here's what you do. Fly to the large island in the southwest corner. Look for a big mansion on top of a rock. There will be a landing platform on the side facing the ocean, with a baby Argent and a baby Direwolf on it. Land there. Take the ramp down to the room below, where there is a trough. Fill the trough with all your extra meat. And the fridge too.

If you still have more meat to get rid of, there are two more troughs and another fridge down further on the rock that you can also fill with meat :)

I would be happy to fill troughs and troughs with raw meat... except I don't play on the server. :P

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Acquire tons of narco berries, let the meat spoil, then stock up on narcotics.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Now that I am fully stablished again, electricity, pens, brushes, troughs, crops, reliable water source, etc. Im thinking that I could use some working creatures (wich I previously had, but gave away or set free earlier in the game). So, if anyone wants to get rid of an anky, doed, frog, of any level, Id gladly take them and love them, and paint them, etc.

On a diferent topic, pictures:
    Doom and I looking around some places near my house, Doom found a frozen pierceneck, I was missing the frozen one for my collection.

geebrsxy6hd9.jpg

In this picture, a warmer Pierceneck I found some time ago.. regretably, I didnt have a marker on me.

lfz6w8wdpzox.jpg

And last but not least, Aramina II, conqueress of wolves... she is looking for a date btw. but not with wolves.

1b7zuqifuobg.jpg

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I have a spare doed and frog I can let go. They're low level, but serviceable.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Decomposey wrote: »
    I have a spare doed and frog I can let go. They're low level, but serviceable.

Ill take them! I have adequte protection, so I dont mind lower levels. Ill go get them as soon as I see you online, I still have about 3 hours untill I can go in-game.