As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny] I'm thankful for Pax Arcadia.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    Meh. I was doing so well in the story up until Regicide.

It's not even Oryx that is giving me the issues it's the two taken bosses right before him. . . bah.

Welcome to the awfulness of taken goblins. And just know that Paradox is worse.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I wish exotics would take on your dye job honestly. It's the worst on a titan because they have some great arm armor, but it ends up making your outfit look wonky as fuck.

Year 3.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I wish exotics would take on your dye job honestly. It's the worst on a titan because they have some great arm armor, but it ends up making your outfit look wonky as fuck.

Some of them do. Light Beyond Nemesis looks way better now that it's affected by shaders. I don't know why it's only some of the exotics, though.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

It's not even Oryx that is giving me the issues it's the two taken bosses right before him. . . bah.

the trick to that fight, i found, was burn down the cabal guy as fast as you can, run and jump in circles like an idiot killing off the adds, then focus on the ogre

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Paradox isn't as bad as regicide. You can at least juke and hide in the templar arena. Regicide dumps two d hole bosses on your in an area without a lot of anything to get behind. I end up using elevation to hide and judicious use of super.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I think its any Y1 exotics and their Y2 versions can use shaders but new Y2 exotics don't.

which is dumb

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

i thought they changed it so they did now?

at least somewhat

Al_wat wrote: »
    I think its any Y1 exotics and their Y2 versions can use shaders but new Y2 exotics don't.

which is dumb

oh, yeah that's dumb

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Polaritie wrote: »

I ended up being able to reliably take one out and get the other one down to below half. Unless of course I got pinched from both sides by the bosses which they'd do at random.

Between the goblins and the second one enraging when the first dies I was having a hell of a time. The ogre is much easier to deal with if the centurion dies but the few times I was at a sliver on the ogre something stupid happened and I was ended.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Chanus wrote: »

i thought they changed it so they did now?

at least somewhat

Year one exotics now mostly take shaders. Year two exotics do not. That's why I was saying to wait til Year three, so our Y2 exotics will take shaders and we can be disappointed that our Y3 exotics rebuff shaders.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
    Having played more with the sun breaker kit I'll be sad when their ridiculous super gets nerfed, but the rest of the kit is still awesome, especially since they have the hunter incedendiary with the great benefit of letting it heal you killing something (which my hunter also has, but thats because of an armor thing not a skill).

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I've not tried many exotics, certainly no new ones, but I was pleased to at least see Glasshouse now takes the shader.

forumsig.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Considering how awesome the skull mask is, why are there not any helmets that awesome? The closest we've got that I'm aware of are the Devouring Maw for Warlocks and the... I think it's Taikonaut? The one with the Daft Punk LED thing going on.
    Are you thinking of the Insurmountable Skullfort?

Yep, that's the one.

I'm kinda sad that it lost the free Transfusion perk in year 2. On the plus side it's way better for Defenders/Sunbros, the on the downside I hate it for Striker now. Don't find Storm Fist to be that useful in PvE myself.

wait, it doesnt auto-grant transfusion?

.....this explains a lot

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    Considering how awesome the skull mask is, why are there not any helmets that awesome? The closest we've got that I'm aware of are the Devouring Maw for Warlocks and the... I think it's Taikonaut? The one with the Daft Punk LED thing going on.

Yep, that's the one.

I'm kinda sad that it lost the free Transfusion perk in year 2. On the plus side it's way better for Defenders/Sunbros, the on the downside I hate it for Striker now. Don't find Storm Fist to be that useful in PvE myself.

.....this explains a lot

Well, it doesn't give the actual Transfusion perk, but you do still trigger health regen on Storm Fist kills specifically (i.e. not Shoulder Charge or any of the other subclass melees).

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    Yeah the skull mask is amazing. It chitters! Wearing it with the raid armor makes you look like a creepy dancing skeleton guy.

*ahem*

spooky scary skeleton

https://youtu.be/WWum0VRc6MI

I would buy Silver for this

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »

Yep, that's the one.

.....this explains a lot

Well, it doesn't give the actual Transfusion perk, but you do still trigger health regen on Storm Fist kills specifically (i.e. not Shoulder Charge or any of the other subclass melees).

Hmm....feels like effectively the same thing. Though again, I really don't much like Storm Fist. They have now taken back my pleasant surprise that it used to work with shoulder charge.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I was just clarifying the language on the perk, not trying to claim that Skullfort is useful for health regen. I'm not really sure it's useful for anything actually.

I mean, I've been using pretty disappointed in strikers overall since I started playing defender and sunbro

There just isn't much that strikers can actually do. They aren't as tanky as either sunbros or defenders, their grenades are okay but don't have the killing potential or utility of Defender and sunbro, and their melee leaves a lot to be desired.

And that isn't even talking about their super. Right now the only reason to play a striker seems to be "because I want to use my super to kill a sunbro, and then immediately die"

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I guess if you really like shoulder charging

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    What the hell happened to Strikers in my absence? We were the lightning-infused gods of war. We were high-velocity death.
    Did everyone forget how to play as them?

forumsig.png
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I mean, I've been using pretty disappointed in strikers overall since I started playing defender and sunbro

There just isn't much that strikers can actually do. They aren't as tanky as either sunbros or defenders, their grenades are okay but don't have the killing potential or utility of Defender and sunbro, and their melee leaves a lot to be desired.

And that isn't even talking about their super. Right now the only reason to play a striker seems to be "because I want to use my super to kill a sunbro, and then immediately die"

Wrong about grenades at least. Lightning is top tier in the entire game.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Their grenades are actually really good. Lightning is good in PVP and Flashbang is wonderful in dealing with hordes of PVE dudes. Their melee is pretty horrible and their super is basically nothing when compared to a Sunbro so....they kinda got the short end of the stick in TTK.
    metaghost wrote: »
    Yeah, I was just clarifying the language on the perk, not trying to claim that Skullfort is useful for health regen. I'm not really sure it's useful for anything actually.

Double melees were great when I was doing my sword quest. I meant I could not kill somebody once with my Sunbro and still be able to punch him to death and get the refresh!

This is a pretty limited use for it though.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish

Armamentarium. What NBP is to Defenders, Armamentarium was to Strikers. It made Strikers incredibly strong in IB and control in general. The lack of a Y2 Armamentarium is one of the main reasons Strikers are having a hard time right now.

Like, I've seen a ton of people say that "lightning grenades are top tier" but I guess I'm either using them wrong or everyone is super desperate to throw strikers a bone

what makes them so good, over suppression grenades, or magnetic/fusion grenades?

I get that the striker grenades are all somewhat area control grenades and useful for zoning. Flashbang is a hell of a thing in pvp and pve, but I would still rather have a suppression grenade. Pulse grenade is okay, but it isn't Vortex grenade. Lightning grenade is also good, but only if you can angle it onto walls

• Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    It's a shame there are all these cool class items and artifacts now when you're once again stuck using the same one for 99% of the time.

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular

and cloaks

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
    I guess it just reminds me of what Hiryu and I were saying during IB- strikers are actually weirdly better at defending points, whereas defenders are better at taking points

or, strikers are better at defending and defenders are better at striking

It's a shame there are all these cool class items and artifacts now when you're once again stuck using the same one for 99% of the time.

Yeah pretty much. Eris's 300 and then 310 artifact are all you need/get because there aren't artifacts above 310 yet?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Like, I've seen a ton of people say that "lightning grenades are top tier" but I guess I'm either using them wrong or everyone is super desperate to throw strikers a bone

what makes them so good, over suppression grenades, or magnetic/fusion grenades?

I get that the striker grenades are all somewhat area control grenades and useful for zoning. Flashbang is a hell of a thing in pvp and pve, but I would still rather have a suppression grenade. Pulse grenade is okay, but it isn't Vortex grenade. Lightning grenade is also good, but only if you can angle it onto walls

Lightning grenade has very high damage in a continual AoE. There's certainly a skill requirement to place it where you want, but it's so good for securing kills and zoning people.

• DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015

Lightning grenades are easily the best PVP grenade that Titans have access to. The main reason for this is that they allow you to attack people in ways that are unlike any other weapon in the game. Granted this wouldn't be enough on it's own, but they also very nearly OHKO and even slight damage will be enough to make lightning grenades finish someone off.

Consider this very common scenario: A guardian is hiding around a tight L corridor waiting to shoot you. You know they're there. A lightning grenade stuck to the wall of the corridor is one of the best solutions to this situation. In most corridors in the crucible the AoE of the grenade will be pretty much unavoidable.

Lightning grenades have one big weakness however: they're garbage tier if you're out in the open and there are no sweet corridor walls to stick them to. For this reason I don't think they're particularly good in PvE, as if you've got a yellow knight standing out in the open the grenade isn't really going to help that much.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    Anyone up for some nightfalls on the xbox1 today feel free to hit me up.

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
    The simplest way I can explain it is that there are a ton of hiding and camping spots that you'd have to put yourself in LoS of the enemy to attack with more traditional grenades. If there's a sweet sweet appropriately placed flat surface (which there usually is) lightning grenades often let you attack those spots without the camper seeing either you or the grenade. And the TTK on lightning grenades is quick enough that this will often be enough to get you a kill. Failing that, one body shot from basically any gun will finish them off.

You just have to find a good home for your lightning grenades

• Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Is Defiance of Yasmin any good? Hard Mode blessed me with a 320, but I'm worried it's more likely just fodder for Spindle/1000 Yard/Eirene or whatever is the better Sniper to go with. Is there a niche it fills that isn't filled better by another gun?

• VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

Lightning grenades are easily the best PVP grenade that Titans have access to. The main reason for this is that they allow you to attack people in ways that are unlike any other weapon in the game. Granted this wouldn't be enough on it's own, but they also very nearly OHKO and even slight damage will be enough to make lightning grenades finish someone off.

Consider this very common scenario: A guardian is hiding around a tight L corridor waiting to shoot you. You know they're there. A lightning grenade stuck to the wall of the corridor is one of the best solutions to this situation. In most corridors in the crucible the AoE of the grenade will be pretty much unavoidable.

Lightning grenades have one big weakness however: they're garbage tier if you're out in the open and there are no sweet corridor walls to stick them to. For this reason I don't think they're particularly good in PvE, as if you've got a yellow knight standing out in the open the grenade isn't really going to help that much.

For an alternate take on them in PvE:

Enemies are stupid. When a grenade comes near them they dive away. But when a lightning grenade attaches near, they usually hunker down and brace for an explosion.

Then the lightning hits them. And keeps hitting them because they don't move.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • CelianCelian Registered User regular
    Is Defiance of Yasmin any good? Hard Mode blessed me with a 320, but I'm worried it's more likely just fodder for Spindle/1000 Yard/Eirene or whatever is the better Sniper to go with. Is there a niche it fills that isn't filled better by another gun?

It's a matter of your loadout really. If you have both the machine gun and the sniper, with cocoon you can simply rotate through both weapons and they should be reloaded by the time you come back to them. Which might give better overall DPS than the other two snipers. Also, I'm not 100% certain, but sometimes it feels as though an arrow'd headshot doesn't register as a precision hit and won't trigger white nail.

Overall the raid weapon's niche seems to be the raid itself. Outside of the raid, there are many other weapons that fills the same role in a superior way.

PSN: BenTheFrenchy || Xbox: TheCanuck || Battle.Net: Celian#1956 || the100.io Pax Group
  • squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    This.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    Celian wrote: »

It's a matter of your loadout really. If you have both the machine gun and the sniper, with cocoon you can simply rotate through both weapons and they should be reloaded by the time you come back to them. Which might give better overall DPS than the other two snipers. Also, I'm not 100% certain, but sometimes it feels as though an arrow'd headshot doesn't register as a precision hit and won't trigger white nail.

Overall the raid weapon's niche seems to be the raid itself. Outside of the raid, there are many other weapons that fills the same role in a superior way.

Yeah it's bugged at the moment and the infinite reload perk has a habit of not working when something is tethered.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular

It's fodder. Maybe decent for PVP? It has Shadow of Veil's level of AA, but less impact (equivalent to Low-Grade Humility)

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
    edited October 2015
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

For an alternate take on them in PvE:

Enemies are stupid. When a grenade comes near them they dive away. But when a lightning grenade attaches near, they usually hunker down and brace for an explosion.

Then the lightning hits them. And keeps hitting them because they don't move.

I've seen this happen but it feels too unreliable for me, given that the horizontal AoE of a lightning grenade stuck to the ground is tiny. When the guy actually does dodge and I have a useless lightning grenade pulsing up into the air it makes me sad and wish I'd picked flashbang. The guaranteed reprieve from being shot at is too much to turn down. The one exception is big ultras that don't move a lot.

DodgeBlan on