As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Paradox acquires rights to World of Darkness

Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worsebefore it gets any better.Registered User regular
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/10/29/paradox-white-wolf/

The studio behind titles like Crusader Kings and Pillars of Eternity had acquired the rights to the World Of Darkness from EVE Online developer CCP, including all the assets they already developed for the shelved Vampire: The Masquerade mmo. This is exciting to me. Paradox does great work and I love the setting so hopefully we'll be hearing something about this soon. I was heartbroken when CCP announced they'd cancelled their planned mmo, so this makes me very happy. Let us reminisce on dark nights spent arguing with stop signs and speculate on future developments!

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I've bitched about this problem for so long, I don't know what to think or hope for now that its happening. I'm excited not just for the core stories, but the far off stuff in Africa and the Indian Subcontinent. Shadowrun dropped some arcs in their various histories, I'm excited to see what happens here in loving hands.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Paradox did publish Pillars of Eternity, but it was Obsidian who actually made the game, so I'm not sure I'd call Paradox "the studio behind Pillars of Eternity".

In any event, this is good news. CCP didn't really do anything with White Wolf, except fire all of WW's staff and waste a whole lot of time on an MMO that wasn't going to see the light of day, so things can only get better.

Hopefully.

• KelgrimKelgrim Registered User new member
    CCP did use some of the character maker assets developed for that MMO, for the extremely terrible walking-in-stations update.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/10/29/paradox-white-wolf/

The studio behind titles like Crusader Kings and Pillars of Eternity had acquired the rights to the World Of Darkness from EVE Online developer CCP, including all the assets they already developed for the shelved Vampire: The Masquerade mmo. This is exciting to me. Paradox does great work and I love the setting so hopefully we'll be hearing something about this soon. I was heartbroken when CCP announced they'd cancelled their planned mmo, so this makes me very happy. Let us reminisce on dark nights spent arguing with stop signs and speculate on future developments!

Oh my Dear sweet Lord, have you answered my prayers?

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I'm pretty hopeful. The attention to detail that Paradox has shown in their games is pretty great, and I'm a sucker for vampire stuff. I'd really like to see a new Hunter game too!

• quarthinosquarthinos Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Paradox did publish Pillars of Eternity, but it was Obsidian who actually made the game, so I'm not sure I'd call Paradox "the studio behind Pillars of Eternity".

I noticed this too. RPS needs to pay more attention (or maybe an editor?) The article also claims Cities: Skylines is Paradox.. Again they published it, but Colossal Order developed it.

quarthinos on
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    I bet it is for another expansion for CK2, I mean after Mongols the next logical step is vampires and mages.

I would point out that if Paradox has the rights to WoD then they could easily make a deal to have Obsidian develop the actual game.

Everything about games Paradox makes though says they are fans of whatever they work on, so this should be good.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I highly doubt Paradox can afford to publish an MMO, so don't get your hopes up.

Especially considering that the WoD mmo is quite old at this point.

YL9WnCY.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I bet it is for another expansion for CK2, I mean after Mongols the next logical step is vampires and mages.

I would point out that if Paradox has the rights to WoD then they could easily make a deal to have Obsidian develop the actual game.

Everything about games Paradox makes though says they are fans of whatever they work on, so this should be good.

Heh, you joke, but man the thought of a CKII-esque game about managing your vampire bloodline actually sounds appealing to me.

fake edit- HAH! Now that I read the article I see I'm not the only one with that idea! Go Paradox go!

Sounds like they plan to have multiple titles starting with one game to kind of set the stage and introduce/reintroduce people to the world.

I would not be the least bit surprised if they task Obsidian to make a WoD RPG for them.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    and with the stuff Obsidian has been making lately you know that game'll be just the dopeness

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Crusader Kings: The Masquerade.

You know you want it.

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    I want a Mage game. Because fuck yeah, wizardry! Vampires and werewolves are scrubs.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Crusader Kings: Rage Across Europe would be fine.

What is this I don't even.
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    It might've been done already, but a game set in Orpheus could be pretty sweet. Paranormal investigators who've had a near-death experience and can separate their spirit from their meat-bodies to mess up the supernatural? Sure, could actually make a pretty sweet top-down RPG (or tactical game, where you have to worry about actually protecting the meat).

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I would support a Isometric vampire RPG all day. All fucking day.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    What I love about the mage setting is that while in theory you can do whatever you want with enough power, a vidja game could just codify into the different... spheres or whatever. Kind of like that old game The Summoning (from SSI).

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I would do stuff for a classic crpg Hunter game. Weird stuff.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Really like someone said I do hope they put this to work and either sell it to other companies or make it beyond awesome
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr_KVNrxtRI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrtwESnTOwY

Brainleech on
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Paradox doing a vampire game where you seek to move up in your city and slowly spread influence abroad while dealing with other supernaturals or hunters while attempting to maintain the masquerade has the potential to be amazing.

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Crusader Kings: The Masquerade.

You know you want it.

I'm thinking less Crusader Kings and more Sengoku, but yeah. With more ability to "zoom in" on cities than the big picture of many countries and the like.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    If I had such a game, my eugenics programs would be legendary even in hell.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg