As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny] I'm thankful for Pax Arcadia.

• Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Doing heroic strikes and Valus comes up.

Team mates both quit out right at the start.

I figure that Bungie will matchmake people in pretty quickly so I keep going.

Nobody ever comes in, it's me against the world for the entirety of the strike.

So, for rewards I got an exotic engram from the taken gate lord mid way through the strike and from Valus I got another exotic engram, a legendary engram and a sublime engram.

Do not regret soloing it at all.

That said, I think they should ramp up the punishments for people quitting out of strikes. I imagine in-universe that's the equivalent of going AWOL, so why not get the vanguard to punish those guardians in universe. Maybe get minus reputations, bans from buying items from the vanguard or losing crucible privileges?

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    Ugh that Alchemist's Raiment is strictly better than the 295 one I engrambled last week (pure Int roll instead of split Int/Str, "carry more ammo" instead of "find more drops")

It's actually just erroneous perk text that has you thinking the Xur Raiment is "strictly better". Every Raiment's text box says that the perk is "Carry more Special/Heavy ammo", but when viewed in the upgrade screen those perks turn out to be "Find more Special/Heavy ammo drops". Furthermore, it's not entirely clear that perk even functions, so it may just be broken beyond the textual mishap.

It absolutely 100% functions as Carry More Special/Heavy Ammo effecting all weapons in the type. That's one of the biggest perks of the armor: it has one of the best Year 1 perks that barely exists anywhere else anymore.

With the Heavy Ammo perk (which is on the Alchemist Raiment and Starfire Protocol), for example, you can carry 9 Sleeper Simulant ammo instead of 7.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    That said, I think they should ramp up the punishments for people quitting out of strikes. I imagine in-universe that's the equivalent of going AWOL, so why not get the vanguard to punish those guardians in universe. Maybe get minus reputations, bans from buying items from the vanguard or losing crucible privileges?

To expand: maybe have them sit through an unskippable cutscene where Zavala just reams them out for abandoning their fellow guardians (like a drill sergeant would) then at the end have the ghost turn to them and say "I'm disappointed in you too"

Hell, record special dialogue for all of the vanguard so when that guardian is in the tower Cayde, Zavala and Ikora are all being really shitty and mean to them.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Man I want to get home and play Destiny

Stuck at the office til a lil late tonight and then I'll be watching the Mets but

I want to find time for Trials both before and after

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Ugh that Alchemist's Raiment is strictly better than the 295 one I engrambled last week (pure Int roll instead of split Int/Str, "carry more ammo" instead of "find more drops") - except of course for the cost to get it from 280 to 295.
    I'm also not sure it's a ...good exotic? Better armor when in Stormcaller or reduced Arc burn doesn't necessarily seem superior to the free Landfall you get from The Impossible Machines, and I haven't really noticed "Iron to Gold" making a huge difference in grenade/melee uptime, but ...surely the Raiment must be good for something?
    tl;dr: Xuuuuuuuuur!

The raiment has the most important buff in the game. It looks fucking rad.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    I find it really off-putting that Halo 5 is subtitled "Guardians". I mean it's just odd that they couldn't choose another name?

Yeah, and main characters are called "Fireteam Osiris."

569uoo3ix1kt.jpg

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    For what it's worth, "Guardian" was a Halo term long before it was ever a Destiny term.

• Options
    elijahdprophetelijahdprophet Registered User regular
    Bungie: "Hey this helmet glitches out one of the new Hunter subclass perks and lets people cheat, so we will disable the perk and then sell the helmet next week"

Damnit Bungie I want my damn quiver for Trials. Why not disable the helmet perk instead?

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Doing heroic strikes and Valus comes up.

Team mates both quit out right at the start.

I figure that Bungie will matchmake people in pretty quickly so I keep going.

Nobody ever comes in, it's me against the world for the entirety of the strike.

So, for rewards I got an exotic engram from the taken gate lord mid way through the strike and from Valus I got another exotic engram, a legendary engram and a sublime engram.

Do not regret soloing it at all.

I quit the Valus strike every time it rolls. I hate it with a passion. And I get it more than any other strike. I refuse to run it anymore.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Ugh that Alchemist's Raiment is strictly better than the 295 one I engrambled last week (pure Int roll instead of split Int/Str, "carry more ammo" instead of "find more drops") - except of course for the cost to get it from 280 to 295.
    I'm also not sure it's a ...good exotic? Better armor when in Stormcaller or reduced Arc burn doesn't necessarily seem superior to the free Landfall you get from The Impossible Machines, and I haven't really noticed "Iron to Gold" making a huge difference in grenade/melee uptime, but ...surely the Raiment must be good for something?

If you define "rad" as "terrible 1980's iridescent shifting color paint", then yes. It's "rad".

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    That's what he said, rad.

And vagrant_winds is correct about the perks.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    The question becomes, then, is a pure Int roll worth enough more to me than an Int/Str split to go though the trouble of buying a new one and infusing it up ~15 lights. It's too bad you can't get both the shard and the light out of an existing exotic if you use it for infusion fodder.
    Truly, this is a first-world Guardian problem. Somewhere near the Twilight Gap lives a kinder-guardian who doesn't even have Sunsinger fully leveled, trying to scrape by on 120 glimmer a day, while I floof about the Tower hemming and hawing about whether to buy my second Alchemist's Raiment.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    morgan_cokemorgan_coke Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

If you define "rad" as "terrible 1980's iridescent shifting color paint", then yes. It's "rad".

It looks like you made a spelling mistake there friend. It's spelled "awesome"

XBL: Morgan Coke Yes, there is a space, not an underscore. I'm old school like that.
    Battle.net: morgancoke#1589

Titan's Creed: Jump first, don't ask questions, punch everything
  • Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    Anyone on PS4 wanna do a nightfall?

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Arteen wrote: »
    For what it's worth, "Guardian" was a Halo term long before it was ever a Destiny term.

That's very true, and there are certainly plenty of Halo shout-outs in Destiny. I just think it's funny that "Fireteam Osiris" is so blatant. I don't actually get the impression that it's ill-willed, though, just some friendly back-and-forth references between two cousin studios.

awsimo on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    The question becomes, then, is a pure Int roll worth enough more to me than an Int/Str split to go though the trouble of buying a new one and infusing it up ~15 lights. It's too bad you can't get both the shard and the light out of an existing exotic if you use it for infusion fodder.
    Truly, this is a first-world Guardian problem. Somewhere near the Twilight Gap lives a kinder-guardian who doesn't even have Sunsinger fully leveled, trying to scrape by on 120 glimmer a day, while I floof about the Tower hemming and hawing about whether to buy my second Alchemist's Raiment.

Might also depend slightly on the armour type yours has / what you want to do with it. The Xur one is arc.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    awsimo wrote: »

That's very true, and there are certainly plenty of Halo shout-outs in Destiny. I just think it's funny that "Fireteam Osiris" is so blatant. I don't actually get the impression that it's ill-willed, though, just some friendly back-and-forth references between two cousin studios.

I don't think Osiris is a shout-out so much as a general lack of other names that sound as cool and refer to someone who judges the dead (in this case, Locke and his gang are trying to judge Master Chief) or whatever, who's advertised as... dead.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular

Could you buy a needle and reroll the one you have? Not a big deal unless you're married to the burn resist.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular

When did Guardian become a Halo term?

I played up until Halo 4. The one with the Didact? Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but I don't remember the Guardian term being thrown around a lot in reference to the Chief. Reclaimer yes, Guardian no?

Also fireteam? I think of that as a Destiny term, I don't remember fireteams being called that. I remember Noble team, not a fireteam.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

I played up until Halo 4. The one with the Didact? Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but I don't remember the Guardian term being thrown around a lot in reference to the Chief. Reclaimer yes, Guardian no?

Also fireteam? I think of that as a Destiny term, I don't remember fireteams being called that. I remember Noble team, not a fireteam.

Guardians:Halo::Architects:Destiny

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

I've not played the Halo franchise, really, but 'fireteam' is a generic military term for a group of soldiers that's either smaller than, more specialized than, or not officially part of a squad. Usually composed of a set of people with certain complimentary specializations and/or gear.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options

If you die in a manner that can't be directly credited to an enemy or player... you are killed by the Guardians. It's always been a Halo term.

Fireteams have been called fireteams forever, it's a general military term?

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Is the "Sleeping Guardian" in Cade's Stash supposed to be a Halo Easter Egg?

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote: »

Guardians:Halo::Architects:Destiny

Which means in Destiny 3 we'll be fighting the Architects, who created the Traveller and the Darkness and somehow stand a chance against them because reasons.

(I don't think you fight Guardians in Halo 5, so this isn't a spoiler.)

• Options
    edited October 2015

I've not played the Halo franchise, really, but 'fireteam' is a generic military term for a group of soldiers that's either smaller than, more specialized than, or not officially part of a squad. Usually composed of a set of people with certain complimentary specializations and/or gear.

What I'm saying is that I don't recall the Chief being called a Guardian. He was the Reclaimer/Demon/Warrior etc.

I get that fireteam is a somewhat generic term, but I don't see its ties to the Halo franchise. There was a Noble Team, not a fireteam. Other times in Halo combat groups are referred to as squads.

Halo 5 is subtitled Guardians, and has multiple gameplay elements that have direct equivalents in Destiny. I find it odd since I don't associate the term Guardian with Halo at all, same with fireteam.

Edit: Ah, killed by the "Guardians". Still odd, unless in Halo 5 you fight or are the Guardians? But if Guardians are equivalent to Architects, I am still somewhat confused.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Also, "guardian" is a pretty generic word. If some franchise other than Halo came out with a game using the term I don't think anyone would bat an eye. Like, Call of Duty: Guardians wouldn't be a thing that would surprise me if it existed. It's just odd because the same folks used to make Halo.

One way or another, though, I don't see that it matters. Nobody's going to mistake Halo 5 for Destiny. You wanna play one or the other or both; the naming isn't going to confuse anyone or pull in any gamers who otherwise wouldn't have been.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Team 4th meal kicked it last night, got up to Oryx in Hardmode with a minimal amount of wipes and they even 5 manned sisters after a centurion picked me off in the second round. GO TEAM!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Also, "guardian" is a pretty generic word. If some franchise other than Halo came out with a game using the term I don't think anyone would bat an eye. Like, Call of Duty: Guardians wouldn't be a thing that would surprise me if it existed. It's just odd because the same folks used to make Halo.

One way or another, though, I don't see that it matters. Nobody's going to mistake Halo 5 for Destiny. You wanna play one or the other or both; the naming isn't going to confuse anyone or pull in any gamers who otherwise wouldn't have been.

I find it odd in the same way that after Street Fighter 2, games popped up with names like Fighter's History, Street Smart, Fighter's Destiny and so on.
    Most of the games were definitely trying to catch a ride on coattails, but some turned out to become classics in their own right, like King of Fighters and to a lesser extent Art of Fighting.

If the term "Guardians" was the only thing the two franchises had in common, it would be less worthy of notice, but there are multiple other similarities aside from that.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular

If you die in a manner that can't be directly credited to an enemy or player... you are killed by the Guardians. It's always been a Halo term.

Fireteams have been called fireteams forever, it's a general military term?

Additionally, there was the Halo 3 multiplayer map, Guardian, based on the cut Halo 3 campaign level Guardian Forest, where the player would have encountered Guardian Sentinels. I believe those sentinels eventually cameoed in some other Halo media.

The term "fireteam" has been in Halo since the very first game. Go back through the first game and you'll hear multiple references to "Fireteam Charlie".

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I realise the meta of Trials of Osiris might be very different from the last time (of Thorn / Hawkmoon + sniper), but if I manage to not be completely friendless (I'm sitting at around 296 light, although I can probably push that up) when it comes around this time, should I be sorting out a sniper rifle for myself?

I've never been all that great at sniper rifles and I much prefer fusions but from my brief time in doing the Elimination portion of the big pvp quest, that game mode requires me to be much less aggressive.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    edited October 2015

I find it odd in the same way that after Street Fighter 2, games popped up with names like Fighter's History, Street Smart, Fighter's Destiny and so on.
    Most of the games were definitely trying to catch a ride on coattails, but some turned out to become classics in their own right, like King of Fighters and to a lesser extent Art of Fighting.

If the term "Guardians" was the only thing the two franchises had in common, it would be less worthy of notice, but there are multiple other similarities aside from that.

Considering the past nature of Bungie's relationship with Microsoft and 343i... the Destiny and Halo franchises could be considered half-siblings, with Halo being the older one.

They obviously share some DNA.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    I am probably going to avoid trials, I am not in anyway good enough to win that mode.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    I am probably going to avoid trials, I am not in anyway good enough to win that mode.

d'aww... perhaps we can fail at trials together, preacher. <3

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Holy crap xur!

I've been absolutely loving my night stalker with keen scout. Literally dreaming of the day I get to shadow step with it. Then xur rides in, muscles rippling, sun setting at his back, face tenticals flowing in the wind, gifting me the greatest gift known to gifts. And I am swooning. I'm yours xur, all yours.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    I need more helms to feed this damn exotic. Helms are impossible to get.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Changes for today's Trials (starts in a hour):
    Requires a minimum Character Level of 40
    Requires a minimum Light of 251; Recommended Light is 290
    Winning teams now receive Trials gear rewards directly at the end-of-match completion
    Players that go undefeated on their Passage will continue to be invited to The Lighthouse
    Players may continue to play in the Trials past 9 wins (but rewards are maxed out at 9 wins)
    Trials Passages now have a Details page containing your Boons

Player must now purchase Boons from the Details page on their Passage instead of from Brother Vance
    Boons can no longer be applied to Trials passages after starting a run

Trials gear can be purchased from Brother Vance (including some items found at the Lighthouse)
    Brother Vance now has Bounties that award Legendary Marks
    Crucible Bounties can now also be completed in Trials of Osiris
    Matchmaking has been updated to make it more competitive to reach The Lighthouse

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular

I am going to be so bad at Trials, and I don't even care. No matter how slim my odds, I want some of that sweet Egyptian themed swag!

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Anyone on the Xbone side need the final step for their 310 solar sword? I'm putting a game up on the 100 for Sunday to try and get a group going for it, but if there are at least two other folks who need it and want to do it before then, let me know here or on Live. Gamertag same as the forum tag.

still need a 3rd for this? noticed its not up on the100 any more.

@Wraith260

Got it done last night, but happy to help you with a run. Just shoot me an invite if you see me online. It was about as fun as certain body parts and a car door, so more than willing to help anyone else slog through it.

• Options

d'aww... perhaps we can fail at trials together, preacher. <3

If you're on the bone I wouldn't mind bringing my titan to it. I just wouldn't expect great success or anything. I'm at best a barely above 1.0 player.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    I have so many Passage Coins that I think that if I don't try Trials again, I'll eventually have nothing BUT Passage Coins.

steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir