As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Control schemes

VarinnVarinn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
Hey guys, quick question and I couldn't think of the most appropriate thread for asking.

I want to get my wireless control on for gaming on my PC. I know the steam controller is still listed as being on pre-order, but I really want to try it before dropping the money as I've heard some mixed opinions. Option two is the wireless adapter for an xbox one controller. I have the controller, and I have a very long USB cable that is working well so far but it's annoying to drape it across the living room to the computer. Apparently the xbox adapter is now released, but I cannot find a single Canadian vendor that even acknowledges the existence of the thing. I could order it from the states but the Microsoft site still lists it as being out of stock and factoring in the conversion rate and shipping, I'm paying a significant amount more than I would to buy it here.

As someone living in America's hat, where can I go about finding these damn things? There's a couple EB games in my town but they all look at me with mouth agape when I ask about either option. Anyone else in the same boat?

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I mean, it's US only right now. I havent' seen it for sale in any market that isn't the US, so that's kind of your answer. You can buy it online from a US retailer that ships to Canada or you can wait for Microsoft to release it outside of the US. We tend to take for granted that things for sale in the US should be for sale here, but that isn't the case, and shouldn't be assumed.

Your other option is to buy a 360 controller with its wireless adapter.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Well that's not what I was hoping to hear, it's not often that I've noticed a company like Microsoft doing a US release far off from the Canadian one. Oh well. Guess another option is to ship to WA state and pickup across the border when I go for gas/groceries, it's only a few minutes from the house anyways.

Thanks for the answer!

PS: When is the steam controller slated to release in Canada? Same Nov 10 like the US release? I can wait another week and a half

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Varinn wrote: »
    Well that's not what I was hoping to hear, it's not often that I've noticed a company like Microsoft doing a US release far off from the Canadian one. Oh well. Guess another option is to ship to WA state and pickup across the border when I go for gas/groceries, it's only a few minutes from the house anyways.

Thanks for the answer!

PS: When is the steam controller slated to release in Canada? Same Nov 10 like the US release? I can wait another week and a half

the 10th, same as the usa.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I am 99% sure the answer to this is going to be "No" but...

Does the wireless adapter for the Xbox One controller support Xbox 360 controller devices as well?

Because I actually like the old Xbox 360 Wireless Speed Wheel quite a bit and use it a fair amount on my PC with the 360 wireless adapter.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    you are correct in that that the answer is no.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    So I was at the mall for a haircut anyways, figured I'd stop by EBGames and check if they had a steam controller to demo (they didn't). Found this half way hidden on the very top shelf near the roof, nobody at the store knew what it was but despite that and not being listed on their website, it's available!

IMAG1506_zpsx9bjkgse.jpg

EDIT: Plugged in, works great. Going to be a nice improvement over the super long usb cable

Varinn on
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    ... is that a wireless adapter for windows?

I have one from way back when. Ended up buying another play-n-charge because the rechargeable battery pack died and I didn't have the AA adapter anymore.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Tis, it's the new one (released on the 27th) that works only with the xbox one controller and a windows 10 pc. The way back when version would be the x360 one, I personally prefer my xb1 controller over x360 so this was the adapter to get in my case

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Crap I want one of those. Pretty.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png