As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Powerline tips and adding Ethernet cabling to a rental flat

Since our internet provider recently upped the download speeds for our subscription plan and then went and matched the upload speeds (before the latter had been at ~20% of the former), I recently ran a speed test - to realise that our internet connection was considerably faster (around 200mbps) than the connection from the router to my gaming PC (around 40-50mbps), which runs via Devolo Powerline adaptors with a supposed maximum of 500mbps. (I know that the maximum speeds given for those adaptors tend to be somewhat fictional.)

What I was wondering:
- Are there relatively easy ways of upping transmission speeds via Powerline?
- Would faster adapters (rated at, say, 1200Mbps) make a worthwhile difference, or are the limitations pretty much set by the flat's electric cabling?
- How easy is it generally to add - i.e. have an electrician come and install - Ethernet cables in a rental flat with existing cabling? Obviously I'd have to check with the landlord, but are we talking about something that's done easily and quickly?

Any information you can provide would be much appreciated. Cheers!

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
"Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I've never really worked with Powerline stuff, but in general, yes, you will be limited by the quality of the cabling in your home. One with a higher top speed might be able to accomplish more if they do fancier signal manipulation and cleanup or whatever, but I wouldn't bet on it.
    As for the other, if your landlord is amenable, it's easy, relative to regular power stuff since it's not having to be hooked up to a potentially lethal power source or anything. So it might be cheaper. There are electricians who do specifically "low-voltage" or data wiring.
    It will still typically necessitate making holes in walls and stuff though, and you never know what you'll find when you do that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Cool, thanks. For now I've got some 1200+ adaptors, and they seem to be working fine, though not at the promised speed, obviously. I'll probably check with an electrician at some point what they'd suggest and how much they would charge, though.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I have a pair of 500 powerline adapters and they work wonderfully, I guess it's really a function of your wiring quality.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png