As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This has been a shitty night (router problems)

sonictksonictk Registered User regular
OK.

So I have exams in 2 days and this happens.

My router is an ancient Linksys BEFW11S4 Ver 3. (It doesn't have WPA, for those of you wondering just how ancient it is)

It was working fine this afternoon, as the story always goes. While I was downloading stuff, however, I noticed my connection starting acting funny. Opened a statistic chart and noticed that there were several instances where my d/l speed and u/l would hit rock zero. My connection to websites also became somewhat erratic; at moments I would get timeout errors (the page is taking too long to respond), but then the site would load fine a refresh later.

Well.

At first I thought my ISP was hit by lightning or something (it was raining). So I pinged my router (192.168.1.1) and noticed that sometimes packets would drop (timeout), yet other times it would get sent through without any delay.

OK.

So I leave the ping running (-t parameter) and notice that it's progressively becoming worse. More and more packets are being dropped. So, not knowing how to perform CPR on a router, I try checking my internet outgoing connections using a packet sniffer to see if something is somehow chewing up my bandwidth (but even then I should be able to access 192.168.1.1 fine), but all I see is my torrent. I stop that too, and still packets sent to 192.168.1.1 are being dropped. I try tightening cables, checking connections, sometimes when I hold up the ethernet cable connected to the router port it gets better, sometimes it doesn't.

Fine.

So I shut down and restart everything, cable modem, router, and PC (in that order). Still no improvement, and the packets dropped are starting to increase in frequency. I do it again, and now I can't even access the router page. Plus the LED indicators on the router that show which ethernet ports on the router have activity keep blinking on, then off. And when I unplug and replug them in, it's the same thing, or the activity lights don't show up at all (means the router doesn't seem to notice the presence of the ethernet cables) Plus, the WiFi doesn't work anymore (tested it with a PSP and my laptop), even though the WiFi indicator says it's on, but the WiFi activity light is dark.

OK. One more time, and now my router has RRoDed of sorts. The diagnostic light is red, and the Link light is red, and no indicators for the ethernet ports are lit. Uhh, wtf?

I leave it for 2 hours (maybe it's overheating?) and try again. No change.

I resort to directly plugging my main PC to the cable modem, which is a bitch because I had a lot of custom network settings set up. Now I can connect to the net via my main rig, and so my post is this:

TL;DR: Linksys router died, any idea why?

And I'm actually really pissed that I (most likely) have to purchase a new router ON THE EVE of my exams. Ugh. Any recommendations? (I would enjoy having WPA finally, and Wireless G would be nice) I'm currently considering the WRT54G, but any other recommendations would be appreciated, as suggested solutions to my problem. Also, a few more questions:

Is Wireless-N worth it? (And more importantly do Wireless-N routers such as the WRT150N also broadcast WirelessG/B to ensure compatibility with devices like my PSP?)
Is getting the WRT54GS over the WRT54G worth it? Also, are the WRT54G routers compatible with Xlink Kai? (PSP networking/tunneling app)

Or should I be whacking my head because I missed something, and my router is actually totally fine?

sonictk on

• Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Xlink is hit or miss with WRT54G. Just ask MastaBeta.

Your router probably died from circuit meltdown (well, overheating). It happens, especially if you leave it on constantly.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Xlink is hit or miss with WRT54G. Just ask MastaBeta.

Your router probably died from circuit meltdown (well, overheating). It happens, especially if you leave it on constantly.
    I don't smell anything burning, but I'm not going to open it up until I get a new one. (Seriously the only way to open this thing would invole my Leatherman.) I guess the red lights are kind of the equivalent of red-lining though. My router has been left on for the past few months or so almost constantly I guess, but I didn't think that routers these days would overheat unless you stuffed it in a cramped space or something. Yes, my router is in the open, always, as is the power adapter. Plenty of ventilation.

Also, when you say 'hit or miss', uhh, what? Are you referring to different manufacturing batches, different firmware etc., or just pure dumb luck?

sonictk on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Bah, it just occurred to me to hit the reset button on my router, but anyway it didn't work, still red diagnostic lights and no indication that it detects the ethernet cable connections. I give up, I'm going to sleep. If anyone has any suggestions or suggestions for a new router, I'd appreciate it.

sonictk on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    By overheating, I mean more like the components inside have finally kicked the bucket. It doesn't matter if there's plenty of ventilation, I had a Netgear router which was constantly on and it generated a TON of heat, as does this Linksys router I'm using at the moment.

XLink is a bit dodgy with routers, it's most reliable with a WifiMAX adaptor (though I understand that costs yet more money). MastaBeta's experience with it is that on Monster Hunter Freedom 2 he cannot play with more than 2 others, if there are 4 people in the group he will always disconnect. He bought a WifiMax later and didn't have much problems afterwards. Basically XLink is extremely finicky with who it wants to connect to (sometimes the player status box in the GUI will constantly display "Establishing Link" with you, while that player is linked fine with others (and thus they can see him), and that is generally only fixed with a reboot of your PC.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    So, does anyone have a router that they'd like to recommend? I'm not totally Linksys-exclusive, but I'd prefer it to have a decent admin interface, among the other things I posted.

Also - Wireless-N! Is it worth it? Does it have B/G compatibility modes or something?

About to leave for the stores in a few hours, thanks for the heads up about the 54G though. I think I'll probably still be getting that one because right now I can't see any other Linksys model that appears to suit my purposes.

sonictk on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Just saw the tech specs for the Belkin N1 Wireless Router F5D8231-4, and now I'm torn between that and the WRT150N or the WRT300N. Anyone have any recommendations for routers and information about Wireless-N compatability with B/G hardware, I'm all ears. Also, assuming I choose the Belkin WirelessN model, is it possible for me to set the standard default gateway for Belkin routers to that used by Linksys routers, namely 192.168.1.1?

EDIT: WTF my mom just called and told me she bought the WRT300N. I guess this is over, except for the fact that I've been reading around and apparently people are having problems with this model. Oops.

sonictk on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    OK, got the WRT300N all set up. It seems fine, contrary to the numerous accusations I've heard around the web, except that WPA doesn't seem to be working properly, but I think that's my own settings at work (never ever worked with WPA before as my previous router didn't have it) so WEP will have to do for now. Apparently my connection 'degrades' over time according to the complaints, so, well, we'll see.

sonictk on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I was in the same boat a little while ago (well the buying new router boat) I settled on the 350N which is I guess almost exactly the same as the 300N except for USB and maybe slightly faster cpu clock or something. I highly recommend getting the DD-WRT firmware.

After doing so I have the greatest router in all the land (well, the land where you buy products from stores, there's that gateworks aguila or something that is hands down the greatest invention known to man)

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    What are the advantages of using custom DD-WRT firmware? Does it actually have speed benefits, or just adds other features? Because right now my network seems fine (unless it fixes the WPA2 encryption problems) but then again I just upgraded my firmware and I haven't tested whether WPA2 works now. I don't really need anything else unless it really brings this router up to Wireless-N spec? :P

sonictk on