As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Favorite Campaign Settings of All Time

DMACDMAC Come at me, bro!Moderator mod
edited November 2006 in Critical Failures
I'm not ordering mine, just five favorites:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & Other Strangeness - The first game I ever played. I liked the more serious Turtles of the original B&W comics and the idea of other genetic mutations living in the shadows and fighting crime.

Dragonlance/Krynn - Reading the DL novels was what got me back into RPGs after my interest started to flag. On a summer vacation, I talked my dad into buying the AD&D rulebooks and the Dragonlance campaign setting book. For a while there, I knew the geography of Krynn better than the geography of North America. Krynn was one of those worlds where as soon as I started reading, I felt like I knew the place. Sadly, I've never actually played in a DL game. :cry:

Mage: The Ascension/Changeling the Dreaming - Sort of tied. I was never into the other WoD settings as much, but Mage appealed to the part of me that likes the idea of magic lurking in the hidden corners of the world and Changeling appealed to the part of me that's a fairy.

Eberron - I like the "newness" of it. Even the Realms were well established by the time I got into RPGs and Eberron feels like somewhere that you can carve out your own legend. I like the "a place for everything" idea behind the setting and how the whole mood of the setting can change from place to place.

Star Wars - What is now basically just my online portfolio originally started out as a WEG/d6 Star Wars site. This game was sort of my "third coming" to RPGs (the first two being TMNT and Dragonlance). I didn't really get into Star Wars until high school and then got totally sucked in. I bought my first copy of the d6 rules at the Star Tours gift shop at Disneyland in a fit of Star Wars ecstasy.

DMAC on

• gredavingredavin Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Mage - same reason as you. I love how my players make it so dynamic and fun to run that we hardly ever roll dice playing it.

Star Wars - I am running a Star Wars campaign right now based on the comic Legacy. I love it, I ported over alot of the Shadowrun 4th Ed. cyber and bioware. It has a very Fireflyesque feel to it, one PC is an Imperial Guard still in service to Roan Fel (exiled Emperor) the other a Han Solo type still quite young and very poor.

I love the feel, very cinematic, lots of comedy, and lotsof high drama as well.

Forgotten Realms- because its easy, and I know it from so many different sources throughout the years (PC games, novels, etc) that I will never run out of ideas that I can make up on the fly.

gredavin on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Krynn: The reason I got into RPG's. It still has so much potential, and if you are rolling with the continuity there are always new conflicts to RP.

Athas: Such a compelling setting, and such a departure from everything else D&D. Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft, even Krynn; they're all just variations on the same theme. Athas always felt, just different. Such a great setting.

Ravenloft: Horror is good. Horror with Magic and Vorpal Weaponry? Even better.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Eberron - I like the idea that you are the heroes of the setting, and not just the people dealing with the shit the really powerful people don't want to bother themselves with.

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I tend to shy away from established settings...but I have my guilty pleasures.

Star Wars
    Forgotten Realms
    Mage
    Vampire: the Dark Ages

Ardent on
    Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    DeVryGuy wrote:
    Eberron - I like the idea that you are the heroes of the setting, and not just the people dealing with the shit the really powerful people don't want to bother themselves with.
    That, and the fact that it can easily be turned into Magitech Indiana Jones.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Call of Cthulhu- because nobody does cosmic terror better than Lovecraft

Warhammer Fantasy- you can be a rat-catcher. 'nuff said.

Planescape- needs no explanation

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PkmoutlPkmoutl Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Greyhawk. It was the first, it will always be the first.

Shadowrun. Dystopia with a certain amount of kinky fantasy.

Amber. When your setting can be pretty much anywhere and everywhere, what more could you ask for?

Paranoia. ARE YOU HAPPY, CITIZEN?

Fates Worse than Death. Dystopia x3. No hope, no future, no electricity. Makes Gamma World look like Disney World.

Tales From the Floating Vagabond. Because when you can spoof any other setting/genre/whatever, it makes it that much more fun.

Pkmoutl on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited November 2006
    Does Amber count as a campaign setting? I thought it was just a rules system.

I would also add 7th Sea with its swashbuckling pseudo-European setting, Iron Kingdoms' steampunk fantasy world and the Dark*Matter setting's X-Files-ish conspiracy theory filled Earth to my list. I haven't played any of them but the books are a good read.

DMAC on
  • KarilmatKarilmat Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I have to go with Planescape, as well. The endless possibilities for stories and roleplaying are just spectacular.

Karilmat on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I've never played an actual game of Planescape but, Planescape.

Fallout - we played a few games in that, and the mercilessness was delightful. Usually the players are the most inhumane people.

Shadowrun - We play more punky than fantasy when I run, and I like that.

Iron Kingdoms - Definitive Steam Punk setting IMO. I just wish I knew why it never works out.

Star Wars - I try to force the punk into this, which probably makes me a bad person. The closest thing to high fantasy in space that I can get. I tolerate it because there's no good Phantasy Star esque thing, and I have friends that can't get enough of Star Wars. Still one of my favorite because of the adventures I have, and the adventures there's still room for and the details, and the character in some of the later stuff. Chiss ships!

piL on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Not counting settings created by friends:

1) Planescape
    2) Mystara / Hollow World
    3) Paranoia
    4) Very early Greyhawk materiel. Keep on the Borderlands is the best first level D&D adventure ever written.
    5) Spelljammer
    6) Dark Sun

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Oh man, I totally forgot to mention Spelljammer and Darksun, what the hell was I thinking?

piL on
  • thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Christ, I forgot Transhuman Space. One of the only RPG's that actually serves as good reading material even if you aren't going to run a campaign. If you ever want to see a semi-realistic look at the future a century from now, it is the thing to buy. Now I'm off to flagellate myself.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    darksun.gif

The only other setting I've played in that really seemed different was planescape, but I prefer Dark sun.

Lets see, what makes it so good. Firstly, its Fantasy Post-Apocalyptic, which makes it awesome. Then, there's unique feel of the game. Much of it vaguely seems based on human cultures, but only some of these can be identified. Then there's the stunningly awesome artwork from Brom and Thomas Baxa. I can't think of another setting that is so defined by the official art.

Its also a blast to play, last time I hosted a game, the party felt damn proud and powerful to have reached level 10!

Psionics are innate in most life, while Arcane Magic is unnatural and vampric. Gods cannot reach Athas, and all priests worship the elemental and paraelemental planes. In general the brutal, survivalistic feel of Darksun owns, there is no place for heroes.

There is some bad, namely the shittastic books from Troy Denning, in which he forces his shitty characters on the world and kills off some of the sorceror kings and the fucking dragon. I ignore that shit, for obvious reasons. He uses magical artifacts to insta-gib him of course, as it states oblviously in the "Valley of Dust and Fire", "There is no way for the PCs to kill the Dragon". One of my favourite bits of background is that the main region covered in the game is ruled by the same immortal wizards responsible for reducing the planet to its current, nearly dead state! So I ignore the novels, they are written more poorly than other AD&D books, too, which is saying something.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Every once and a while after the old D&D group gets tired of playing nice with one another, you introduce Paranoia. The world laughs with you.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Every once and a while after the old D&D group gets tired of playing nice with one another, you introduce Paranoia. The world laughs with you.

Well, I already play D&D like that. My favourite thing to do is steal stuff and plant it on other party members.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • AllonAllon Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    DnD, Planescape.
    DnD, Birthright.
    Paranoia, Alpha Complex.
    Fading Suns, Err... Known universe?
    Exalted, Creation.
    Transhuman Space, Outer Solar System and Earth.

Allon on
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Christ, I get to play in so few RPs that just about everything looks good right about now. :|

Gaddez on