As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars X-Wing] Wave 7 and New Core in stores! PA Vassal League Season 3 now forming!

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Force Awakens Core is 46% off now too:
    http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/219440

So as someone who saw this in a store recently and decided to do some research on the PA forums before purchasing. How reliable is this site? Also how good is this to start ones adventure in spending more money? Would it be better to buy the original starter box instead?

Thanks for the assistance.

For the Classic Core vs. FA Core, it's probably better at this point to buy the new starter box all else being equal. It comes with the new damage deck which had some cards rebalanced and the ships it comes with are straight up better than the classic ones (shielded TIEs, X-wing has a new maneuver).

I'd still advise getting two starters though. Compared to buying the expansions, you get more ship for your buck that way and the additional dice which can come in handy with some combos. I'd think that one classic and one FA would give you the most flexibility for the lowest entry cost while still having the new damage deck available.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Early last year I bought a bunch of X-Wing minis off a guy from Craigslist. The guy had a good sized collection, but just had a baby and didn't think he'd have time to play anymore. Now I'm in a similar situation with the wife due in just a few weeks and with me having a large collection of ships.

Looks like I may have to unload my collection too....
    NOPE! FUCK THAT! I look forward to this speech in a few years:

Abigail, you can destroy the opponent. FFG has foreseen this. It is your destiny. Join me, and together we can rule the meta as father and daughter!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Ken O wrote: »
    The store is very safe. I've ordered from them multiple times and have been to their physical store numerous times.

I don't have the new core so I'll let others answer that.

Can confirm on both physical and website accounts. Never had a problem with them and they have some of the best deals out there!

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    see317 wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Force Awakens Core is 46% off now too:
    http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/219440

So as someone who saw this in a store recently and decided to do some research on the PA forums before purchasing. How reliable is this site? Also how good is this to start ones adventure in spending more money? Would it be better to buy the original starter box instead?

Thanks for the assistance.

For the Classic Core vs. FA Core, it's probably better at this point to buy the new starter box all else being equal. It comes with the new damage deck which had some cards rebalanced and the ships it comes with are straight up better than the classic ones (shielded TIEs, X-wing has a new maneuver).

I'd still advise getting two starters though. Compared to buying the expansions, you get more ship for your buck that way and the additional dice which can come in handy with some combos. I'd think that one classic and one FA would give you the most flexibility for the lowest entry cost while still having the new damage deck available.

Cool thanks for that information.

Edit: I can spell.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Chrysis and I are playing right now, @Fuselage turns out we're both Squint Freaks

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    It's almost a perfect mirror match.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
    @Chrysis is a much better pilot than I am

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    And Sokpuppet beat me in our game.... Stupid Vassal dice. Also, Nimbles died. And I died in Phalla. Today hasn't been my day.

edited October 2015
    Yeah the dice weren't very kind to me today. At least Carnor got to look cool.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    damn! Missed watching the games.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    I had all three of his ships in range one, the bomber I targeted was already down three health. Assault Missle And three focus and a blank. And then I believe Lorrir got OHKO'd that turn too.

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Grunt's Ghosts' notorious Suicide Squadron faced the following;
    Boba Fett
    Veteran Instincts
    Proton Bombs
    Bombardier
    Extra Munitions
    Slave 1 title

Scimitar Squadron Pilot
    Extra Munitions
    Proton Rockets
    Conner Net
    Twin Ion Engine Mk. II

Scimitar Squadron Pilot
    Extra Munitions
    Proton Rockets
    Conner Net
    Twin Ion Engine Mk. II

(100)

The situation after a few turns;
    2it0wk78ud3j.jpg

Just before this was taken, GG had lined up a beautiful Assault Missile shot and was robbed by the dice.
    Just after, Boba scored an unlikely Direct Hit to remove Lt. Lorrir From the board. Soontir rolled an almost equally unlikely set of blanks & focuses on all four of his retaliatory attack dice. Vassal dice. ~_~
    Scimitar Two succumbed to focus fire almost immediately, hardpoints still brimming with explosive goodness.
    Fast-forward several turns and Nimbles was to succumb to a massive barrage of various bombs, while Scimitar One was hunted down and destroyed by Fel himself.
    With a bit of luck on Boba's side he was able to mostly deal with the remaining TIEs, despite fantastic blocking strategies employed by my opponent.

Thanks for the game, Grunt's Ghosts! Well played!

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    And Sokpuppet beat me in our game.... Stupid Vassal dice. Also, Nimbles died. And I died in Phalla. Today hasn't been my day.
    And Sokpuppet beat me in our game.... Stupid Vassal dice. Also, Nimbles died. Today hasn't been my day.
    And Sokpuppet beat me in our game.... Stupid Vassal dice. Also, Nimbles died.
    Stupid Vassal dice. Also, Nimbles died.
    Nimbles died.

vader.jpg

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    In the defense of Nimbles, all damage dealt to him was unavoidable. Net, Proton Bomb, and Seismic Charges, with the last one being friendly fire from the Bomber who was in DC's place.

edited October 2015
    Hmm interesting.

FFG is allowing tournament participants to choose between the old and new damage decks now.
    Worlds will still use the new deck to "showcase" it and show consistency to viewers though

crimsoncoyote on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Hmm interesting.

FFG is allowing tournament participants to choose between the old and new damage decks now.
    Worlds will still use the new deck to "showcase" it and show consistency to viewers though

Not sure if I like that.

Maybe it's okay for now, and then they'll make it standardized later on?

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I've a feeling they're just realizing that requiring all tournaments to use the new damage deck starting January 2016 was a bit presumptuous.

I'm sure the new damage deck will be the only one allowed, if not sooner then at least starting next tournament season.

DarkPrimus on
    I imagine some people were incredible upset (and probably some unreasonably so) about having to switch entirely

I wonder if they will still be selling the old core set with the old damage deck or will they finally switch it over too.

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Hmm interesting.

Meh. There were good reasons to switch everyone to the TFA damage deck (a fair amount of it is irrelevant "free crits" for generic-swarms, and disproportionately crippling for some other builds.) I'd like to have seen it stay mandated, but have them include some free copies in the tournament support packages.

I'm hoping it's just a temporary thing due to limited supplies of the TFA cores.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    There is a new game mat kickstarter up called Kraken game mates. They are from the EU as well for you European folks.

The space mat they are offering looks amazing, and they are offering 6x3 versions of the mats for cinematic play. 30 days left so no rush. My buddies and I are thinking about getting some more mats. I have one from grip mat that I love, but it would be sweet to have a single sheet 6x3 piece.

webguy20 on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    There is a new game mat kickstarter up called Kraken game mates. They are from the EU as well for you European folks.

The space mat they are offering looks amazing, and they are offering 6x3 versions of the mats for cinematic play. 30 days left so no rush. My buddies and I are thinking about getting some more mats. I have one from grip mat that I love, but it would be sweet to have a single sheet 6x3 piece.

Gripmat was doing 6x3s as well, ~$90.

You could add one on to your order if you were a backer; you might still be able to.

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    webguy20 wrote: »

Deep Cut Studio is an EU company that makes some very nice 6x3 mats;

http://www.deepcutstudio.com/product/wargames-terrain-mat-3-x6-stars-theme

At £36.90 I think it's one of the least expensive on the market.

And if you want to go even cheaper, some yoga mats measure in at 36" x 72"

Sokpuppet on
  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    @Chrysis is a much better pilot than I am

I wouldn't say that. I did get a damn sight luckier with the dice, and dodging out of that first joust.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
    I'm not sure if it is in an Interceptor's best interest to have initiative

3basnids3lf9.jpg

It is. Moving last, shooting first works great for them as they can chase down and peg the hell out of some ships. With Fel and PTL or Lorrir and his special barrel roll, you're almost always going to have a shot. The problem is that they are so flimsy (or maybe mine are) and it's hard for them to make it many rounds.

Initiative means you move first and attack first vs same pilot skill, not move last. I think it's better that they move last to be able to boost or barrel roll into a good position

I thought he mean PS. Sorry.

Np! :)
    Just making sure we're clear

edited November 2015
    Round 4 has ended!
    Lots of games last week, so we have more results!
    Keep up the good work everyone :)

Previous Rounds:
    1st Round: Oct 5-Oct11
    crimsoncoyote - BYE
    @Fuselage - W vs. @DaMoonRulz - L
    @webguy20 - W vs. @Sokpuppet - L
    @Grunt's Ghosts - W vs. @D0rkAngl - L
    @Chrysis - L vs. @Elvenshae - W

2nd Round: Oct 12-Oct 18
    Sokpuppet - L vs. crimsoncoyote - W
    D0rkAngl - ?? vs. DaMoonRulz - ??
    Elvenshae - W vs. webguy20 - L
    Chrysis - ?? vs. Grunt's Ghosts - ??

3rd Round: Oct 19-Oct 25
    crimsoncoyote - ?? vs. D0rkAngl - ??
    Sokpuppet - W vs. Elvenshae - L
    DaMoonRulz - L vs. Chrysis - W
    webguy20 - W vs. Grunt's Ghosts - L

4th Round: Oct 26-Nov 1
    Elvenshae - L vs. crimsoncoyote - W
    Chrysis - ?? vs. D0rkAngl - ??
    Grunt's Ghosts - L vs. Sokpuppet - W
    webguy20 - ?? vs. DaMoonRulz - ??

Round 4 begins NOW!
    5th Round: Nov 2-Nov 8
    crimsoncoyote vs. Chrysis
    Elvenshae vs. Grunt's Ghosts
    D0rkAngl vs. webguy20
    Sokpuppet vs. DaMoonRulz

Upcoming:
    6th Round: Nov 9-Nov 15
    Grunt's Ghosts vs. crimsoncoyote
    webguy20 vs. Chrysis
    DaMoonRulz vs. Elvenshae
    Sokpuppet vs. D0rkAngl

7th Round: Nov 16-Nov 22
    crimsoncoyote vs. webguy20
    Grunt's Ghosts vs. DaMoonRulz
    Chrysis vs. Sokpuppet
    Elvenshae vs. D0rkAngl

(Let me know if I missed anything)

crimsoncoyote on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I finally have my miniature ships on Sunday!

Now to force my Trail of Cthulhu group to play with me.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I finally have my miniature ships on Sunday!

Now to force my Trail of Cthulhu group to play with me.

Use the force, Aegeri.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    Hmm... do I spend all the birthday money I got on X-Wing or be responsible with it..?

Hmm... do I spend all the birthday money I got on X-Wing or be responsible with it..?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

It's birthday money. That question answers itself doesn't it?

Yeah... I'll probably spend a bit on x-wing, then save the rest. Though I do need to figure out another storage/display solution since my planos are filled to the brim.
    I am saving up for a gaming table after all :)

• Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    I might have missed this but the Ghost went to the printer on 10/28.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
    It's semi related to X-wing, but Fantasy flight has came around to bend everyone over again!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/11/3/star-wars-rebellion/

@DaMoonRulz and I will be playing in a bit, if anyone wants to watch.