As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Rise of the Planet of the Tomb Raiders

PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity.Registered User regular
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxS-leXA-Iw

Rise of the Tomb Raider is the sequel to the 2013 reboot, Tomb Raider, a game I absolutely adored. It's being released on November 10 on XBONE and 360, with a PC release set for Q1 2016 and PS4 Q4 2016. Rhianna Pratchett is once again the lead writer on the game.

After the events of the previous game, Lara is racing to uncover the alleged secret to immortality before the shadowy organisation Trinity does. As before, you'll need to survive the unforgiving force of Mother Nature and a bunch of armed jerks using a mixture of stealth and armed combat.

Oh and there's apparently more tombs, which I heard people wanted.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Huh
    Do I actually buy a 360 game in the year of our lord 2015, or wait for the eventual PS4 version

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Before I wasn't gonna get this cause it was only on Xbox

Now I have an Xbox

But I'm still not getting it

Cause some genius thought they should release it on the same day as Fallout

Now I probably won't be playing it until the other versions are out anyway

6F32U1X.png
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I pre-ordered Fallout, Just Cause 3, and COD Black Ops 3.

Im going to wait on Tomb Raider.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I hope this is good. I also hope the PC port is good, but Squeenix have a pretty solid track record so far with the last one and the Deus Ex.

Mostly I want to bring over the sweet indiana jones jacket from the first game.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I just finished up the reboot. It was fantastic so i'm excited for this

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    I'm just psyched it's not Xbox exclusive anymore.

steam_sig.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I need an Xbone for this because I can't wait a year for the PS4 version.

Tomb Raider 2013 was my favorite game that year

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    God, I'd forgotten that Fallout was the same week.

Still, I'm going to bounce between them as much as possible.

• 101101 Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Before I wasn't gonna get this cause it was only on Xbox

Now I have an Xbox

But I'm still not getting it

Cause some genius thought they should release it on the same day as Fallout

Now I probably won't be playing it until the other versions are out anyway

This is what we call a bad decision.

The game is looking pretty good though, ha load of fun with the last one so I think I'll pick this up for Christmas.

Hey remember this game?

It's out next week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JPL7AM2Mto

Here's raiding a tomb in it

Also Target is doing Buy 2 Get 1 Free for games next week, so if you're getting this AND Fallout, maybe go to Target and, I dunno, get Halo?

6F32U1X.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Wish I had an Xbone

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Launch trailer for the console iteration. PC still getting it "early 2016".

https://youtu.be/Dcipw1aKIbc

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Wish I had an Xbone

I wish I had a PS4, but I'm pretty happy with my Xbone.

No I don't.
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Wish I had an Xbone

I wish I had a PS4, but I'm pretty happy with my Xbone.

Unfortunately, this is pretty much the only game I want on the system. So I just have to wait it out til PC release. Whenever that is.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I am getting this instead of Fallout 4

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I really hope this game maintains the 'scramble-em-up' aspect of the last, I loved that twist on the usual third-person-shooter gameplay (starting off with a bow against wolves, being flanked from all directions, etc).

Hmmmmm have we heard if there is any difference between the 360 and XB1 versions? Aside from graphics I guess
    No systems or features that the last-gen won't have a la the Nemesis system?

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Hmmmmm have we heard if there is any difference between the 360 and XB1 versions? Aside from graphics I guess

I'm only seeing graphical differences

_1441589276.jpg
    _1441589828.jpg

I also completely forgot there was a 360 version, and that it was day-and-date

6F32U1X.png
    Hmm
    That's definitely noticeable, but the last-gen certainly doesn't look bad by any means
    I gotta take stock, see how I feel about another big game after I finish Assassin's Creed

For what it's worth, the 360 port is being done by the people that put the first game on PS4 and Xbox, and the PC versions of Deus Ex Human Revolution and Hitman Absolution, which were great, great ports

6F32U1X.png
    Is it Nixxes? Yeah, they're great.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

The previous generation versions of Shadow of Mordor did have the nemesis system

I DON'T HAVE THE TIME, PIPE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXnc3mELf20
    Mary Kish and Alexa Ray Corriea of Gamespot are streaming the game right now

6F32U1X.png
    So I'm playing a bit of the first game again, since it was free on Xbox Gold last month

All I've heard of the new one is it's a lot more puzzle-y than the first game

Which sounds awesome, cause I definitely like the environmental puzzle parts a lot more than the Uncharted parts

6F32U1X.png
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I went with @Framling to the Microsoft store in Redmind to borrow his employee alumni discount and bought the Xbone Tom Braider bundle.

It came with digital download codes so you can't actually play the game before it comes out.

Amy played the first one and loved it. I've been meaning to try it too and luckily this bundle also came with the remastered edition of that game.

BLM - ACAB
    It weirdly feels like there's a complete absence of hype around this game

It's out in 3 days and noooobody is really talking about it, just Fallout

6F32U1X.png
  • nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    I'd love to get this, but Fallout 4 will take up all of my free time for quite a while. Maybe I'll pick it up around black Friday.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    It weirdly feels like there's a complete absence of hype around this game

It's out in 3 days and noooobody is really talking about it, just Fallout

One is a (currently) console exclusive to the 2nd place console this gen and the other is the next game from the company that made one of the most popular games of last gen.

Not that surprising.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm buying this game when it comes out. On PC.

Next Year.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I really liked the first one because it was a game that made bows a fun weapon.
    Played through with bow and arrow at every opportunity.

So I hope that continues?

Psykoma on
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I think console exclusivity isn't doing this game any favors. If it had released at some point before Halo, it might have been a decent bit of signal boost for the Xbone, but releasing alongside Fallout 4 (with only the one SKU) basically relegated the game to everyone's backburner.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    yeah, it's a game I want to play, but not so bad that I'll buy a different console to get it 6 months earlier.
    if anything, the money-hatting pushed me further toward the ps4 out of spite

SaraLuna on
    edited November 2015
    Yeah I'm probably gonna pick this up for the 360 if the reviews are good

Grey Ghost on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I'm getting it cause Target is having a b2g1 sale and I was saving money for black friday anyway.

But it probably won't get touched until I'm done with FO4.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I'd be picking it up day one if I had an xbone. But I don't care about fallout 4

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    If it was releasing on PC I'd get em both and cash in some vacation days at work

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I'm going to be getting it on pc

I would be skipping it if it wasn't for Target's B2G1

I just wish Battlefront was out next week too, then all the bases would be covered

Now I'm just getting a freebie Halo and that'll be fine

6F32U1X.png
    Rise of the Tomb Raider is a wonderfully pulpy title for what is either the second or eleventh Tomb Raider game, depending on your perspective. Following 2013’s successful reboot, it’s a conventional sequel in every way that takes a few steps forward and one or two sideways — and that turns out to be enough to make it one of the best games on the Xbox One.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/9/9695274/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-review
    Rise of the Tomb Raider is better than its predecessor, but only because of its additions; it doesn't fix any of the things that were wrong with Tomb Raider (2013). The story is smoothed down, much of it hidden away in dull audio logs. It's not about "survival" as billed, given the ease of mowing down dozens of folks and plenty of resources. But finding tombs wherein to clamber about ancient Rube Goldberg machines, coupled with the gorgeous visual flair and diverse environments, make Rise's wilderness one worth exploring and elevate Tomb Raider's otherwise perfunctory take on the third-person action platformer.

http://www.destructoid.com/review-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-319740.phtml?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
    In many ways, Rise of the Tomb Raider could be viewed as a fairly modest sequel. It successfully builds off Crystal Dynamics' excellent reboot, but it doesn't introduce any massive changes; the scope is greater but still in spitting distance of the previous game. But successfully regaining the feeling created in an extremely good game is no small feat. This is the inauguration of Tomb Raider as a formula once more, but for now, it's a formula I'm happy revisiting.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/11/9/9633858/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-review-xbox-one-crystal-dynamics-square-enix
    Rise of the Tomb Raider's first shot pans over the vast, foreboding landscape we'll soon come to know. In many ways, it functions as a promise on the part of Crystal Dynamics: there are big things ahead of us. And at the end of Lara's journey, after we've seen her through this adventure, and experienced everything the world has to offer, it's clear that promise was kept.

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-review/1900-6416305/
    The new game leans into its conventions, both in manner of play and story structure, but happily, the resulting adventure makes for a crackerjack entry in rousing puzzle-platformer fun. Rather than mucking about with much innovation, the developers have wisely played to the strengths of the Tomb Raider structure, crafting a fleet and enjoyable journey which may not set the world aflame with originality, but which executes its simple pleasures elegantly and with minimal fuss. It’s the game equivalent of a mass-market paperback from the airport bookstore: You know exactly what you’re getting, but when it’s done well, it’s immensely satisfying.

http://www.avclub.com/review/rise-tomb-raider-understands-why-its-fun-be-lara-c-228010
    Rise of the Tomb Raider’s greatest success is in how it encourages exploration, which in turn makes you feel more connected to its fictional world. Every hapless corpse in the frozen Russian wastes is a reminder that Lara’s moving through a place that’s killed many others. As I played, she came across as increasingly gifted, with enough spirit and ingenuity to find ways to see herself through to the other side. This Lara isn’t a wide-eyed newcomer, nor is she a flinty veteran. She’s somewhere in between. Rise of the Tomb Raider makes me want to follow her where she goes next.

http://kotaku.com/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-the-kotaku-review-1741392788
    Rise of the Tomb Raider is the most fun I’ve had with a Lara Croft game since 1996. Its story is full of the right kind of danger and intrigue, its tombs are dastardly, and I was as struck by its huge, romantic environments as I was as a kid playing the original. Although I could have done with a few more puzzles and fewer firefights overall, I enjoyed every rollicking, big-hearted second of it.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/11/09/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-review?+main+twitter
    2013’s Tomb Raider reboot introduced us to a new, seemingly more human, Lara Croft. Sadly, this sequel squanders the opportunity to really explore and develop Lara's humanity, and the result is an experience in which the storytelling and the gameplay feel jarringly disconnected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkFzhjlBJbk&feature=youtu.be
    With a bigger world, more varied combat, and more high-octane action, the follow-up, Rise of the Tomb Raider, is better in every way. This new path for Lara is intriguing, making her more complex while capturing the struggle of surviving in the harsh world. Just as Lara remains determined to keep moving forward, so does Crystal Dynamics with the franchise.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/rise_of_the_tomb_raider/b/xboxone/archive/2015/11/09/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-review-game-informer.aspx?utm_content=buffer14f6f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

6F32U1X.png