As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Expanse] You know a lot about how people die.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Man fuck Ashford.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Man fuck Ashford.

I hope they get someone with a thick skin to play him in the show, because there's a character that people are going to hate.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Yup.
    Went from thinking he was bad at his job but sympathetic to fucking wanting him to somehow be simultaneously spaced, set on fire and dunked in acid. Of course, there was that preacher subplot right next door that was quietly judging you about that reaction at the same time....

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Yup.
    Went from thinking he was bad at his job but sympathetic to fucking wanting him to somehow be simultaneously spaced, set on fire and dunked in acid. Of course, there was that preacher subplot right next door that was quietly judging you about that reaction at the same time....
    Loved the preacher lady. Nice to have a character that was good without any qualifications. Like, they try to make her out to be kind of a rogue preacher, but, like, you have Amos just a chapter over.

• Options
    Yup.
    Loved the preacher lady. Nice to have a character that was good without any qualifications. Like, they try to make her out to be kind of a rogue preacher, but, like, you have Amos just a chapter over.

She was very true to people I've met like her and faced many of the same problems.
    The conflict between her and what people thought of as religious leaders as well as the whole "People are looking to me for comfort and I am just as fucking scared as any of them."

• Options
    Yup.

She was very true to people I've met like her and faced many of the same problems.
    The conflict between her and what people thought of as religious leaders as well as the whole "People are looking to me for comfort and I am just as fucking scared as any of them."

Also, I love the fact that these books just toss LGBT stuff in there, because... it's the future. Only a minority care about that stuff in 2015... in the Expanse future, after hundreds of years of internet,
    nobody's going to bat an eye at a lesbian preacher. It's also great that her and her wife's babies are genetically theirs, together. That shit is possible.

I kind of hope certain characters show up in the show earlier than they do in the books. I know that Avasarala is in the first season (she only shows up in Book 2, right?), but we need Bobbie, ASAP.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Does Syfy care about language? It's going to be sad if they have to de-pottymouth Avasarala.

• Options
    Artereis wrote: »
    Does Syfy care about language? It's going to be sad if they have to de-pottymouth Avasarala.

It's basic cable, so they have to care some.

It's the same network as Lost Girl, though, and that can get filthy while remaining within the boundaries.

• Options
    majanzmajanz Registered User regular

It's the same network as Lost Girl, though, and that can get filthy while remaining within the boundaries.

I'm afraid... So very very afraid... Syfy has a very very mixed history when it comes to 'quality'. Will it be BSG? Will it be Sharknado?

Years back I bought the DVD set of the 'Dune' miniseries. Watched some of it recently and it kind of sums up my fears:

* Do they love the source material? Yes!

* Do they have a unique vision of the story? Yeah, kinda. Added in more of the court intrigue, etc.

* Does it feel cheap? Oh hellz yeah baby! But this doesn't bother me since I love the campy 1970's Doctor Who episodes!

* Did they hire good actors? They got William Hurt! He's good! And a couple of the others were good too! Ian McNeice (Baron Vladimir Harkonnen) just chews up the scenery! And then... Oh god... Some were just so so awful. Sorry Alec Newman (Paul Atreides) but man you stank out loud! I notice your IMDB page doesn't even show Dune in your 'Known for' list.

So afraid... They are just so inconsistent...

So very afraid...

Only a couple of months left to 2015 - so I guess we'll find out! :D:( :P

• Options
    Oh this reminds me, nobody was lying in the least bit about Nemesis Games. Woa.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    majanz wrote: »

I'm afraid... So very very afraid... Syfy has a very very mixed history when it comes to 'quality'. Will it be BSG? Will it be Sharknado?

Years back I bought the DVD set of the 'Dune' miniseries. Watched some of it recently and it kind of sums up my fears:

* Do they love the source material? Yes!

* Do they have a unique vision of the story? Yeah, kinda. Added in more of the court intrigue, etc.

* Does it feel cheap? Oh hellz yeah baby! But this doesn't bother me since I love the campy 1970's Doctor Who episodes!

* Did they hire good actors? They got William Hurt! He's good! And a couple of the others were good too! Ian McNeice (Baron Vladimir Harkonnen) just chews up the scenery! And then... Oh god... Some were just so so awful. Sorry Alec Newman (Paul Atreides) but man you stank out loud! I notice your IMDB page doesn't even show Dune in your 'Known for' list.

So afraid... They are just so inconsistent...

So very afraid...

Only a couple of months left to 2015 - so I guess we'll find out! :D:( :P

That miniseries was aired 15 years ago. There are plenty of good shows from the channel aired since that prove they can do good work. And it looks like The Expanse has been budgeted as a prestige series, especially when you compare the effects and cinematography from the trailers against the look of currently airing shows like Defiance, The Killjoys and Dark Matter.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    That miniseries was aired 15 years ago. There are plenty of good shows from the channel aired since that prove they can do good work. And it looks like The Expanse has been budgeted as a prestige series, especially when you compare the effects and cinematography from the trailers against the look of currently airing shows like Defiance, The Killjoys and Dark Matter.

'Prestige series'? Let's hope. Yes let's hope.

Hurm... This is hopeful...

Geekdad; I Have Watched ‘The Expanse’ and So Should You

majanz on
  • Options
    84% through Cibola Burn and jesus this is just fucking grim stacked on top of grim.

• Options
    84% through Cibola Burn and jesus this is just fucking grim stacked on top of grim.

You sweet summer child. Just wait until you hit Nemesis Games.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

Oh man you don't even know what you're getting into, just get through that and get on to the fifth book.

I wound up putting down Cibola but Nemesis is really, really good.

Does Cibola have anything like tacked onto the overarching plot? I thought it was more of a stand alone thing.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

Oh man you don't even know what you're getting into, just get through that and get on to the fifth book.

Does Cibola have anything like tacked onto the overarching plot? I thought it was more of a stand alone thing.
    It kind of ends Miller's story.

Then again, the protomolecule blob that ran his simulation was merely fired into a sun, so we don't really know for sure.

• Options
    I don't even think it's bad. But fuck it's just another kick in the teeth over and over and fuck both Murtry and Koenen.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »

Then again, the protomolecule blob that ran his simulation was merely fired into a sun, so we don't really know for sure.
    It gives a little information about the Doom of the protomolecule people while also showing more of the ridiculous scale of things that they built.

I'm not 100% that it's the end of the Millar line, certainly that Millar, but the nonlocal nature of the protomolecule stuff is still a thing. I'm a little confused by the idea that the Fred sample is the last of the protomolecule in our system since Venus is right there. Sure it stopped violating physics all over the place but the idea that the molecule would completely eradicate itself is odd.

Cibola also does a lot to flesh out Amos/Naomi/Andrew before they become full POVs in Nemesis.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »

It gives a little information about the Doom of the protomolecule people while also showing more of the ridiculous scale of things that they built.

I'm not 100% that it's the end of the Millar line, certainly that Millar, but the nonlocal nature of the protomolecule stuff is still a thing. I'm a little confused by the idea that the Fred sample is the last of the protomolecule in our system since Venus is right there. Sure it stopped violating physics all over the place but the idea that the molecule would completely eradicate itself is odd.

Cibola also does a lot to flesh out Amos/Naomi/Andrew before they become full POVs in Nemesis.

Can't wait for the sixth book, given the epilogue of Nemesis Games. Shit's about to get real. Realer. Realest.

• Options
    Squeee! This is looking much more BSG! Oh god I hope I didn't just Jinx it!

BACKSTAGE & INTERVIEWS
    The Expanse: What's It About?

• Options

BACKSTAGE & INTERVIEWS

Wait, does this mean the ending is gonna be "God did it"? Cause now I'm unenthused.

Nah, I'm still enthused mostly because I'm pretty certain they already have an ending in mind. Didn't they already say they knew how the series ends?

• Options

BACKSTAGE & INTERVIEWS

Wait, does this mean the ending is gonna be "God did it"? Cause now I'm unenthused.

Nah, I'm still enthused mostly because I'm pretty certain they already have an ending in mind. Didn't they already say they knew how the series ends?

They say the books are planned, but the way the stakes ramp up in each book, I'm not sure if they'll be able to retain that kind of pace.

• Options
    They've said they knew the very last sentence of the final book before they started writing, or somesuch.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    "Rocks fall: everybody dies."

"And then they all started fucking."

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    "Rocks fall: everybody dies."

"And then they all started fucking."

"He loved Big Brother."

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    "My God, it's full of stars."

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    And AC said:

"LET THERE BE LIGHT!"

And there was light--

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    i think we all know what the last line will be.
    "Sorry Jim, the coffee machine is broke."

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I hadn't heard of this series because I'm out of the loop, but I picked up the first book based on this thread alone.

I'm so hooked already. Not really getting the firefly vibe so far, but maybe that comes later? I'm maybe 10% in.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I hadn't heard of this series because I'm out of the loop, but I picked up the first book based on this thread alone.

I'm so hooked already. Not really getting the firefly vibe so far, but maybe that comes later? I'm maybe 10% in.

It's not really there.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »

It's not really there.

but it has people that feel like a family even though they aren't

and they're on a spaceship

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    The Firefly vibe isn't really there, at least in the first book. Later volumes may bring it in, I dunno.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    The Firefly vibe isn't really there, at least in the first book. Later volumes may bring it in, I dunno.

Not really.

There are certain elements like what Chanus mentioned, but I would never call that Firefly-specific.

One of the things I like about the series is that each book is built around different genre influences.

• Options
    Blue collar space heroes flying around a single solar system, trying (and failing) to avoid getting embroiled in conspiracies involving sketchy corporations.

There are thematic similarities, but the feel is definitely different.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Blue collar space heroes flying around a single solar system, trying (and failing) to avoid getting embroiled in conspiracies involving sketchy corporations.

The crew of the ship also speak in back and forth quips. One of my biggest problems with the book was that I didn't like the weird flow of the dialogue until I came across the Firefly comparisons. Once I realized that I was supposed to be reading it like it was Whedon speak, it clicked.

The major difference in the novels is they have a larger scope, and the characters in the rest of the universe do not communicate like they are trying to out-snark each other. As a major example, the detective who is a big focus of the story narrates his sections like they were a hard-boiled noir.

• Options

The crew of the ship also speak in back and forth quips. One of my biggest problems with the book was that I didn't like the weird flow of the dialogue until I came across the Firefly comparisons. Once I realized that I was supposed to be reading it like it was Whedon speak, it clicked.

The major difference in the novels is they have a larger scope, and the characters in the rest of the universe do not communicate like they are trying to out-snark each other. As a major example, the detective who is a big focus of the story narrates his sections like they were a hard-boiled noir.

Chrisjen Avasarala in particular has very little patience for plucky space hero witticisms.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Chrisjen Avasarala in particular has very little patience for plucky space hero witticisms.

She is one of my favorite characters ever.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

She is one of my favorite characters ever.

I live for Bobbie/Abasarala scenes.

They are the best team.

This discussion has been closed.