As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mae Tala artwork

MaeTalaMaeTala London, EnglandRegistered User new member
Mae Tala is a webcomic I've been writing with a friend for 2 and half years and as with most comics it hinges on artwork, which I produce alone. I'm in production now but that doesn't mean critique of my work should become stagnant. However when I spend at least 10 hours a day looking at sketches and painting I find I lose any pretence at objective assessment, mostly I think I need to improve my proportions (perpetually to be honest, I've never been good at that) however I'm sure there's other things that I'm missing or could be improved upon.

CBsCI3w.jpg

3XEFBD3.jpg

jlGtnnz.jpg

QZ1dATM.jpg

PKirf4s.jpg

qqmUxU8.jpg

gTPkI98.jpg

shJjErv.jpg

YC0ATwz.jpg

8zZt2Js.jpg

PDu8cf2.jpg

bsRtOB8.jpg

KrC4udG.jpg

OPcxHN6.jpg

Any constructive critique is very welcome, thanks for looking.

Martin.

Do it well or not at all - maetala.com

• AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    Hello friend, welcome to the PA AC! I'm out of shape myself, but here's a quick crit that I hope is useful.

I think the main thing these drawings lack is a sense of defining volume with values. I made a paintover to show what I mean (pardon the sloppiness):

KMGYV5U.jpg

Maybe not perfect, but by emphasizing the highlights and shadows, I've made the figure readable even at a small size:

hnsTxTP.jpg

I think your tree dude (#2) and centaur dude are the strongest pieces of the lot, both taking advantage of values/contrast (but could be pushed further) and have interesting poses. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you post more :).

• MaeTalaMaeTala London, EnglandRegistered User new member
    Hey Argentflit, I hadn't thought of that as they're 'just' concepts but it does make a great deal of difference, thanks for taking the time to paint one up and show me, I'll get on it, experiment, see if I can make them all more readable using values and contrast. I'll post more up when I get them finished.

Do it well or not at all - maetala.com