As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Camp Comic] Tuesday, November 3, 2015 - Meal Replacement

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited November 2015 in Camp Weedonwantcha

image[Camp Comic] Tuesday, November 3, 2015 - Meal Replacement

Meal Replacement

Meal Replacement

http://campcomic.com/comic/260

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    kofshinobikofshinobi Registered User new member
    Created an account just to say I DON'T LIKE WHERE THIS IS GOING. LEAVE ME WITH MY HAPPY FANTASIES.

• Options
    mathsgeekmathsgeek Registered User regular
    Aww, he went for the aprons because he wanted to help. The new lady doesn't seem like a bad person though, maybe they were misplaced. I don't really see anything bad with his dad moving on, except for maybe the super cheesy grin. Hopefully this will actually turn out to be a happy memory of how he ended up in camp, maybe.

• Options
    briguybriguy Registered User regular
    Oh man, this story has so many twists and turns! We may know the ending, but I'm excited to see how.

• Options
    FlaxSeedFlaxSeed Registered User regular
    I would like some building history rare, suspense au chef with a generous serving of da feels.

• Options
    GinormousGinormous Registered User regular
    Definitely looks like more evidence that Brian is getting left behind/forgotten by his dad.

• Options
    Ilze123Ilze123 Registered User regular
    I need to keep remembering why the children are in the camp. none of their back stories can end happy. It all will end in sadness

• Options
    Oh! This one has some good continuity!!!
    All the way back in "Toxic," Fred says he keeps rat poison right next to the spices. It's the one without a label. :D

• Options
    ShamrockSeraphShamrockSeraph Registered User regular
    "God damn it, Katie," is becoming a phrase that exits my mouth more and more frequently whenever I read this comic.

• Options
    SargeSarge Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Uh oh, what did Seventeen find in the cabinet while looking for "salt substitute." Remember, she can't read.

Sarge on
  • Options
    Roymaster45Roymaster45 Registered User regular
    Am I the only one who giggled at the thought of a "sodium-free salt substitute"? It reminds me of reading Foxtrot when I was younger, and how the mom would always use substitute out some of the most crucial ingredients in a dish ("beef enchiladas without the beef", for example).

Also, while it looks like Seventeen did get briefly confused between the salt substitute and something else, I think she actually picked the right one in the end. Briguy pointed out that in "Toxic" (way back in season 1), Fred said the rat poison was the one without a label, and the stuff that Seventeen gave to Fred does have a label on it.

• Options
    addiesinaddiesin Registered User regular
    Uh, that's arsenic, yo.

• Options
    theGrognardtheGrognard Registered User regular
    I love the way you use flashbacks. The way you associate memories to a current scene is brilliant.

• Options
    Morgan BlackpowderMorgan Blackpowder Registered User regular
    Why does the home wrecker look like my girlfriend? What are you trying to say to me Katie?!?!

Also that's totally powdered Memor-eez pills :/

• Options
    Double continuity! That's the bowl from "Practical Choke."

• Options
    hajenhajen Registered User regular
    cooking sans aprons! what devilry is this??

no wonder Fred had to go, she could not abide his old-school mentality and used her womanly ways on his dad to effect his untimely eviction.

• Options
    hajenhajen Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    briguy wrote: »
    Oh! This one has some good continuity!!!
    All the way back in "Toxic," Fred says he keeps rat poison right next to the spices. It's the one without a label. :D
    good recall
    for the rest of us: Toxic

hajen on
  • Options
    DragonDawn85DragonDawn85 Registered User regular
    Stop breaking my heart!
    I love when a story is told so well without any words; damn you sad flashback DX

• Options
    APMEWAPMEW Registered User regular
    ouch, Im feeling those serious feels right now......

• Options
    kathhiragakathhiraga Founder Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Faceless picture on the wall, says it all.

• Options
    TolkienfanmanTolkienfanman Registered User regular
    All this stuff lurking around in Katie's head. Someone go give her a hug.

• Options
    OreoOreo Registered User regular
    I'm thinking he decided to leave for camp on his own. He felt like he was getting pushed to the sidelines, so he took the proactive step and left.

• Options
    Haha, I just noticed that Fred didn't even look before taking the sodium-free salt substitute and adding it. Good thing Seventeen, hopefully, picked correctly.

• Options
    KaitensatsumKaitensatsum Registered User regular
    Rat Poison?

• Options
    Rat Poison?

http://campcomic.com/comic/toxic
    I just misremembered and assumed rat poison, but Fred keeps poison in the unlabeled one.

• Options
    Talyn RahlTalyn Rahl Registered User regular
    Oh Seventeen you adorable disaster... What in the world did you just hand to him...

• Options
    mechanimatedmechanimated Registered User new member
    For those of you who don't know, sodium-free salt is generally potassium chloride. It has a bitter aftertaste.

• Options
    CryptkickerCryptkicker Registered User regular
    Here's how I think this origin story is working out: Mom passed away, dad grieves but gets over it. He still truly loves his wife, but he moves on and gets a new girlfriend. His son, however, keeps reminding him of his wife. Here's the tragic part: he didn't abandon his son at the camp because the son was in the way... he was a constant reminder of his late wife and didn't see any other way of moving on with the son in his life.

• Options
    WestIndianAgoutiWestIndianAgouti Registered User regular
    @CRYPTKICKER That sounds plausible, actually :/

• Options
    The only thing that makes really sad in this particular strip is the removal of the aprons. Me personally, that would destroy me. I get emotionally attached to items like that and if someone threw them away, I would be a sobbing devastated mess.

• Options
    ImNotAnAthleteImNotAnAthlete Registered User regular
    Damn it Katie, I can't take the constant feels.

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Fred's unlabeled jar of poison totally came off that spice rack, didn't it. The only question is which is more horrible, Fred helping his dad move beyond his wife's death and into a relationship with a black widow...or him helping his dad get over his wife's suicide, and dad dying after a meal with mom's "secret spice" (and maybe newmom getting arrested for cooking it).

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    TrueLinkTrueLink Registered User regular
    Stop it! Stop it! We're already sad!

• Options
    funny56funny56 Registered User new member
    this is too personal for me, I am out

• Options
    DublinDublin Registered User regular
    I called it. Dad's new flame is not interested in keeping Fred. I can see it. I can SMELL it.

• Options
    MiatravisMiatravis Registered User regular
    No kitty? Can't see it...

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Miatravis wrote: »
    No kitty? Can't see it...
    Panel 4, window.

briguy on
  • Options
    MiatravisMiatravis Registered User regular
    It definitely looked like a tree before ;-) :-)

• Options
    Stephen SchutterStephen Schutter Registered User regular
    This comic has some effective storytelling, doesn't give you too much, but just enough to figure things out.