As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Girl Is an Excellent TV Show Now - Current Episode Spoilers Inside

• MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    LOVED the pilot. Benoist and Calista Flockhart are just relentlessly enjoyable here. I guess it's not great how they're just blitzing past all the little and big plot points that are boring and/or non-sensical, but it worked for me this time!

For me racist SHIELD is the worst offender. Every question I have about Supergirl and her friends is easily answered with, "She is in a rom-com where the Big Love is PUNCHING ALIENS."

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • zipidideezipididee Registered User regular
    Just watched ep 2 and was unreasonably thrilled to hear Perd Hapley from Parks and Rec as the voice of the newscaster on tv. Shared universe confirmed?

*ching ching* Just my two cents
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    LOVED the pilot. Benoist and Calista Flockhart are just relentlessly enjoyable here. I guess it's not great how they're just blitzing past all the little and big plot points that are boring and/or non-sensical, but it worked for me this time!

For me racist SHIELD is the worst offender. Every question I have about Supergirl and her friends is easily answered with, "She is in a rom-com where the Big Love is PUNCHING ALIENS."

Come again?

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Kryptonese sounds weird mostly because 90% of the time in English the the language a people speak/write is usually the same name as the people who (were the first to) speak/write it, i.e. The English speak English, the French speak French and so on.

steam_sig.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    drunk at 9am... last time I have breakfast with ruth bader-ginsberg

obF2Wuw.png
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular

Come again?

Do you really want to know? I know I don't.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    edited November 2015
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Come again?

Uh, the super-CIA SHIELD analog that doesn't trust aliens? Everything they did was nonsense, but especially the bit where they identified a tiny godling and decided the thing to do was poison and capture it, then scold and release it. If Kara actually was an alien menace, you've revealed yourself and your secret base and your surprise Kryptonite weapons.

Mahnmut on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Oh.

I thought you were talking about actual SHIELD.

Nah, they're cool. :hydra:

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Come again?

Uh, the super-CIA SHIELD analog that doesn't trust aliens? Everything they did was nonsense, but especially the bit where they identified a tiny godling and decided the thing to do was poison and capture it, then scold and release it. If Kara actually was an alien menace, you've revealed yourself and your secret base and your surprise Kryptonite weapons.

That's usually par for the course with the anti-superhero groups. They talk about being prepared for hostile aliens, but the only weapons they're seen developing are the ones they think will work on the heroes.
    Have there been any DC stories where the Justice League get comprehensively beaten, and it's the likes of Amanda Waller who saves the day? The only ones I've seen have been where they win in spite of her involvement, or where she comes to her senses and helps them just in time.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    Nah, they're cool. :hydra:

AoS spoilers
    Boat SHIELD did that in season 2. It's a genre thing.

2nd episode:
    Really liked James pointing out that bulletproof just meant that they'd bounce off in random directions, so she has to avoid that to keep people from getting hurt by ricochets.
    As for the end, my DC comic-knowledge is limited, but doesn't Martian Manhunter have glowy red eyes? And shapeshifter powers?

Oh, and 'Fluffy' is the best possible name for a snake. 'Legs' is also a valid option.

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    One thing that occurred to me when they were on the truck:
    Before shooting at bug-man on the truck, couldn't they have just put a radio there and said 'Hey, dude, if you turn yourself in to us, we'll give you all the DDT you can eat.' Because it's not like we WANT the stuff, and feeding it to a dude would be a pretty safe and effective means of disposal. It's win-win for everyone. Couldn't they at least attempt a non-hostile solution before opening fire?

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    2nd episode:
    Really liked James pointing out that bulletproof just meant that they'd bounce off in random directions, so she has to avoid that to keep people from getting hurt by ricochets.
    As for the end, my DC comic-knowledge is limited, but doesn't Martian Manhunter have glowy red eyes? And shapeshifter powers?

Oh, and 'Fluffy' is the best possible name for a snake. 'Legs' is also a valid option.
    Yes Martian Manhunter has glowy eyes.

However, the character in question (Hank Henshaw) is Cyborg Superman in the comics...so they might play off that idea with Henshaw in the show.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Before shooting at bug-man on the truck, couldn't they have just put a radio there and said 'Hey, dude, if you turn yourself in to us, we'll give you all the DDT you can eat.' Because it's not like we WANT the stuff, and feeding it to a dude would be a pretty safe and effective means of disposal. It's win-win for everyone. Couldn't they at least attempt a non-hostile solution before opening fire?
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that.
    Possibly whatever byproducts he produces from eating DDT are worse though?
    But yeah, "Hey dude, talk to us, fill us in on whatever's going on, we'll get you a nice room and all the DDT you want." certainly seems like a better solution.

Safer for everyone that way too, since if you're going to just talk with the guy you might as well just park the truck and set up a nice picnic table or something, rather than carting it around a busy city. Maybe they'll get less gun happy later though.

• scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    I have to say I love the casting for Kara. such a positive aura of joy and fun while superheroing.

her cousin is a dick, though.

edited November 2015
    see317 wrote: »
    But yeah, "Hey dude, talk to us, fill us in on whatever's going on, we'll get you a nice room and all the DDT you want." certainly seems like a better solution.

Safer for everyone that way too, since if you're going to just talk with the guy you might as well just park the truck and set up a nice picnic table or something, rather than carting it around a busy city. Maybe they'll get less gun happy later though.
    In fairness, he was an escaped criminal from Krypton Supermax Jail, and had already murdered one guy that they knew about.

klemming on
    also no weird love interest without any chemistry at all so that's a plus!

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

In fairness, he was an escaped criminal from Krypton Supermax Jail, and had already murdered one guy that they knew about.
    Well yeah. Which means bringing him in without further loss of life would be a good thing. He needed to be locked up, he was dangerous, but at the core of it he was just trying to eat, not going on murderous thrill kill rampages.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I liked episode 2

I am really pissed off at how horrible DC is though by doing everything they can to keep superman out of the show

the show's already better than their last two superman movies

I dunno, it makes some sense that they want it to be about her, if he was there he'd basically be better than her at all of it, so you end up wondering why she's the main character.
    There's still a logical disconnect (if there's something serious going on, why wouldn't he come to help out?), but at least they're using his name now.

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    2nd episode:

Yes Martian Manhunter has glowy eyes.

However, the character in question (Hank Henshaw) is Cyborg Superman in the comics...so they might play off that idea with Henshaw in the show.

He'll always be Sam Saperstein to me.

http://on.aol.com/video/selfie--charmonique-and-eliza-get-help-from-mr--saperstein-518499155

• TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    Watching episode 2. Six minutes in. I skipped the first episode because I saw the pilot.

So, umm... Did they change things? I mean, does Supergirl have a secret identity?

Because she's having a conversation about being a superhero in public, while walking around and grabbing stuff from counters. And she used her heat vision in public, right in front of everyone.

If she has a secret identity, someone should tell her to stop doing stuff like that.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Does anyone feel that they're sort've trying to mess with Marvel in a small way by naming her Kara Danvers? I mean, that sounds a lot like Carol Danvers, Captain Marvel's secret identity. I know Supergirl went by Linda Danvers in the comics at one point... but its almost like they're trying to get a jump on the Captain Marvel movie by using such a similar name. 'Oh, a strong lady superhero with the last name Danvers, how familiar!' says DC as Marvel starts promoting Captain Marvel.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I don't think so.

It's just a call back to her Linda identity.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    Huh... I didn't think much of the pilot, and that thing where Supergirl used her powers in public as Kara annoyed the fuck out of me... but I'm really enjoying this episode. Like, I don't think it's amazing, but it has certainly surpassed my admittedly low expectations.

TeaSpoon wrote: »
    Watching episode 2. Six minutes in. I skipped the first episode because I saw the pilot.

So, umm... Did they change things? I mean, does Supergirl have a secret identity?

Because she's having a conversation about being a superhero in public, while walking around and grabbing stuff from counters. And she used her heat vision in public, right in front of everyone.

If she has a secret identity, someone should tell her to stop doing stuff like that.

Supergirl does not wear glasses!

scherbchen wrote: »

She has two, Jimmy Olsen and Nice Guy Toyman. They need to lose Toyman.

I dunno, it makes some sense that they want it to be about her, if he was there he'd basically be better than her at all of it, so you end up wondering why she's the main character.
    There's still a logical disconnect (if there's something serious going on, why wouldn't he come to help out?), but at least they're using his name now.

I'm disappointed they didn't go with her taking Superman place in a world where Kal-El didn't survive Krypton. That would have been interesting, and they wouldn't have Superman's shadow over the series.

ep2:
    no weird romantic interactions

none!

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Does anyone feel that they're sort've trying to mess with Marvel in a small way by naming her Kara Danvers? I mean, that sounds a lot like Carol Danvers, Captain Marvel's secret identity. I know Supergirl went by Linda Danvers in the comics at one point... but its almost like they're trying to get a jump on the Captain Marvel movie by using such a similar name. 'Oh, a strong lady superhero with the last name Danvers, how familiar!' says DC as Marvel starts promoting Captain Marvel.

I do think they're killing two birds with one stone here. By the time Craptain Marvel (zing!) gets released the show would potentially have three or four seasons under its belt, and DC can legitimately say it's a mix of her old identity and her real name (however neither is close to Danver the Last Dinosaur in terms of popularity)

After seeing what they did to Enchantress in Suicide Squad I am 100% convinced DC put her there (and not someone like Plastique or Ivy) only because they wanted to call dibs on the name first and steal something from the Thor movies.

ep2:
    no weird romantic interactions

none!
    They were there in the pilot, I don't think the show is going to make that this new status quo, but we'll see.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

I do think they're killing two birds with one stone here. By the time Craptain Marvel (zing!) gets released the show would potentially have three or four seasons under its belt, and DC can legitimately say it's a mix of her old identity and her real name (however neither is close to Danver the Last Dinosaur in terms of popularity)

After seeing what they did to Enchantress in Suicide Squad I am 100% convinced DC put her there (and not someone like Plastique or Ivy) only because they wanted to call dibs on the name first and steal something from the Thor movies.

The Captain Marvel movie is releasing a month before Shazam; I'd absolutely believe that fued is ongoing.

The Captain Marvel movie is releasing a month before Shazam; I'd absolutely believe that fued is ongoing.

Ha ha. I didn't know that. Poor Shazam.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

didn't Marvel's Enchantress show up during season 1 of SHIELD? the first Lady Sif episode they did.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

didn't Marvel's Enchantress show up during season 1 of SHIELD? the first Lady Sif episode they did.

That was Lorelei. She's the younger sister of the Enchantress.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.

Clark was always super-speeding around the second he was off camera, even if they were in the middle of a crowd, and Barry's pretty close to doing that in The Flash.
    In any case, extras are basically scenery, so there's no danger there. Plus they can't speak, so they couldn't tell anyone even if they did notice.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Supergirl does not wear glasses!

I was going to make a joke about how it's a pretty bad secret identity if you can just google and find out she's Melissa Benoist.

But now I want a superhero show, that 100% takes a real actress, and just meta inserts that she's secretly a superhero in our world, her secret identity becames a faux version of her RL celebrity etc.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508

Sure, but is Olsen a weird interest with no chemistry?

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Episode 2 went WAY better than the pilot. Something was really off about the pacing in the pilot, like they were trying to juggle too many relationships and plotlines in the pilot. The characters were all pretty flat, too, in the pilot. After the pilot, I wasn't sure I was going to continue to watch it, but I know that pilots are often stilted and shows often don't find their voice for a while.

I would like to see more of Episode 2. Better pacing, better dialogue, better everything. :D

EDIT: Girlfriend wonders "How does Supergirl pierce her ears? Ouch."

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png