As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Duelyst] pretty much Hearthstone tactics

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    having not jumped on in a while, i don't know if playing against friends counts for the purposes of playing quests (i can only assume they do not), but my in game handle is: wingedweasel

• Options
    SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    Roz wrote: »
    Vari/Sensational - is this game for me?

The starting decks are good enough that the game is really easy to get into. No idea how good it is long term but it's 100% worth a download.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    3/3 in my first gauntlet. chose magmar again.

also my favorite way to win is trapping the opposing general. totally surrounded. you obviously are already ahead in that scenario (barring an aoe) but it is very satisfying.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    having not jumped on in a while, i don't know if playing against friends counts for the purposes of playing quests (i can only assume they do not), but my in game handle is: wingedweasel
    They don't, unfortunately.

My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Blue map wrote: »
    They don't, unfortunately.

that makes sense since it can sorta of be abused otherwise. still wouldn't hurt to build up friend lists.

anyone having sporadic issues launching the client? sometimes it just gets stuck. ending it and restarting works.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    added you weasel! I believe I'm just Vari

if I don't finish a gauntlet run my draft saves til wednesday right?

• Options
    added you as well @variable .

not sure about the gauntlet, still havnet had the chance to run it

• Options
    rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    bah had a bug in gauntlet today where one of the games never started and reset to the "enter game" screen with a loss

had what I thought was a strong vet deck but alas it only went 3, I'll figure it out eventually, it seems less complicated than hearthstone arena

• Options
    i just noticed they added a "tip your opponent 5 gold" option after winning a game. i think that's kinda cool, although i have no idea how often that happens.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I did it every time, then I realized no one else was.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    i can't imagine too many people do it, but i think it is good that it exists.

• Options
    Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    I tip for epic 30 minute games. I tipped 4 times. Got tipped once.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    I really love that this game is literally just running in a web browser. As a Javascript developer and frequent OS X/Linux user, it gives me warm fuzzies.

• Options
    My IGN is Zamsam if anyone feels like adding me, though I probably wont be on for the next few days thanks to Vermintide.

My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I played for a bit. It's a neat game, but i don't think it's particularly expandable. If you added too much more complexity or fluidity of movement, the charm of the hex system would start to wane.

I didn't participate in the original kickstarter (didn't know it existed), but I saw somewhere that the original intent was a single standalone release. After the kickstarter ended they switched to the ccg model because they felt they could release more/better content that way.

What makes you say the hex system would lose its charm with more stuff?

yeah they kind of fucked the original backers to get dat ccg money.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    I played for a bit. It's a neat game, but i don't think it's particularly expandable. If you added too much more complexity or fluidity of movement, the charm of the hex system would start to wane.

I didn't participate in the original kickstarter (didn't know it existed), but I saw somewhere that the original intent was a single standalone release. After the kickstarter ended they switched to the ccg model because they felt they could release more/better content that way.

What makes you say the hex system would lose its charm with more stuff?

yeah they kind of fucked the original backers to get dat ccg money.

Oh man, holy shit they did. I'd just assumed that the kickstarter resolved in some way that didn't fuck over the backers, but reading over what happened they completely did. That pretty much kills the last of my interest in the game, since they've made it clear they're a greedy company that doesn't do right by their customers. Their backers were furious!

• Options
    Heh, from the kickstarter:
    We want to be very clear that our game is buy once, up-front. We plan to sell our game at $25 upon release, so at the current $20 pledge, every backer will be receiving a 20% discount for the game in addition to the wallpapers and yet-to-be-revealed Kickstarter Exclusive vanity item tomorrow. Most of all, we will not be free-to-play nor do we intend to have monthly fees. Just like you, we want to buy a good solid game that we can go home to and play regularly with our friends.

• Options
    I feel bad for those folks. damn.

glad I didn't hear about this game til now

• Options
    In their defense they did offer refunds to anyone who was (justifiably) disgruntled by the change.

• Options
    MrMiscreantMrMiscreant Mean motor scooter Hiding in the back seat of your carRegistered User regular
    Oh man, holy shit they did. I'd just assumed that the kickstarter resolved in some way that didn't fuck over the backers, but reading over what happened they completely did. That pretty much kills the last of my interest in the game, since they've made it clear they're a greedy company that doesn't do right by their customers.

Yeah, I was one of those backers. I probably should have seen that sort of thing coming when they were promising exclusive units to higher tiers of backers, after all their talk of a balanced, non-pay-to-win game. Some people on the forums (myself included) had to ask how they could square those two things, and they rolled it back, but it was clear they knew what backers wanted to hear, but didn't really care to actually follow through with it in their design choices.

I didn't keep up with the game to the point where they were offering refunds; all I got was my backer contribution worth of in-game purchases. I've never used the code or redeemed the whatever they gave me, so if it's at all transferrable, I'll happily pass it along to someone thinking of actually spending money. I might not get my twenty bucks back, but that's twenty bucks they won't get either, so I think that'll balance the ledger.

LIVE: CitizenZero
    PSN: CitizenXero
    NNID: TheFennec
  • Options
    I'm not sure anyone did get refunds for the record. The last post about it suggested they would look into it, but they never actually officially offered refunds that I see.

Kinda sucks, because I almost did kick in some money when I was having fun, but I don't want to encourage that sort of behavior.

• Options
    MrMiscreantMrMiscreant Mean motor scooter Hiding in the back seat of your carRegistered User regular
    Looks like you're right. It doesn't seem like anyone actually has backer rewards yet, either -- even the "here's the stuff unlocked, and some currency" bits. I'll hold off until the final release, I guess, before I get pushy about it.

I have to say, this is the only thing out of the 18 or so projects I've backed on Kickstarter that I regret supporting.

• Options
    Judging from this kickstarter post, you should be able to get your money back: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/keithlee/duelyst/posts/1148563
    Relevant bit under the spoiler:
    We'll currently refund any pledge made during the Kickstarter campaign (or preorder on the website) either through Amazon Payments or PayPal.

If you desire a refund, please keep in mind that this action is irreversible should you change your mind later. You can email directly to [refund at counterplay.co] and include your full name, email, pledge tier, and transaction ID. Due to the steps we must go through with the payment processors and their timing in processing your refund request, some refunds may take up to a month to return the money to your account.

Thank you again for your patience. Our team really appreciates your support and we hope you'll still check out our game later this year.

• Options
    I did see that, but going by the comments, the people who have actually tried to get their money back via that method have met with a wall of silence. I don't know if the refunds are actually happening, in spite of that post, and it wouldn't surprise me if they weren't. But all that said, I'm content to wait until the game is final before I do anything.

And it seems like folks are enjoying the game at least, so let's focus on that. Positivity!

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Yea it sucks that backers don't get what they were hoping for but looking at the product now it seems much more likely to have an ongoing community this way so that backers will continue to have other players to play against.

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    CroakerCroaker Registered User regular
    This is a pretty sweet game, Vari linked to it in the hearthstone thread and I've been hooked on it all day. Did a few challenges then some ranked with the basic Lyonar as it looked most straight forward. Those silverguard squires and knights are so easy to cheese with, went 10 in a row and into silver just mulliganing for them essentially; I'm assuming that won't fly for much longer.

Lyonar is probably one of the strongest ladder factions right now. The heal-based stuff they can pull is ridiculous. They've been in this state for a while and I expect it will continue, short of changes to cards that really aren't that good
    I did see that, but going by the comments, the people who have actually tried to get their money back via that method have met with a wall of silence. I don't know if the refunds are actually happening, in spite of that post, and it wouldn't surprise me if they weren't. But all that said, I'm content to wait until the game is final before I do anything.

And it seems like folks are enjoying the game at least, so let's focus on that. Positivity!

For what it's worth, I've seen posts on the official forums from people who claim to have gotten a refund, so I wouldn't give up on yours just yet.

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    How long does a typical match of this game take?

• Options
    Marty81 wrote: »
    How long does a typical match of this game take?
    About 15 minutes, in my experience.

• Options
    Today is gauntlet day right? Maybe I'll get time to try it out.

• Options
    edited November 2015
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    It is indeed. I can't remember the requirement but if you don't have gold there's a point at which you get a free gauntlet ticket... might be when you get any given class to 9 or something. Otherwise the 150 gold is well worth it. iirc even when I won 1 game I got a pack and like 60 gold which is better than breaking even and it was after a terrible run. (I may be wrong, but I know that was a result of one run and my only other one went 3-3 so... that's pretty good odds of breaking even)

Variable on
  • Options
    I haven't broken 5 on gauntlet yet but I have yet to "break even" on any of my runs.

So far I get a lot of spirit but almost no gold. I think my best gold was for a 0 win run where I got 25 gold.

• Options
    Huh weird. I guess it varies wildly.

• Options
    So the official Duelyst youtube account recently posted a video showing of a bunch of the sprite work, including some cards coming down the pipeline.

• Options
    well my first attempts at gauntlet went....poorly. the first run had some great top end stuff but no real curve to get me there and i ended up getting slapped around before i was able to hit a dcent stabilization point. so i ranked up to silver level real quick to get the free gauntlet run and started again. the 2nd i lost to what i would consider a lot of nonsense. such as getting blown out by that lyonar thing that gives something +attack equal to it's health. well funny story he played the 2/15 provoke dude the turn before trapping my hero. not really a crazy combo but still frustrating since i was in strong control most of the game.

wasx still fun and now i am acquiring enough cards to build a bunch of the decks i had pre-wipe (such as wraithling/deathwatch spam)

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Last gauntlet I ran I went 0-3, at 0-2 my opponent managed to build mechazor to save him, not sure how much match making it's doing on the back end

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    Last gauntlet I ran I went 0-3, at 0-2 my opponent managed to build mechazor to save him, not sure how much match making it's doing on the back end

i assume it just tries to match similar records, so theoretically you could have mechazor.dec in the 1-2 or 0-2 bracket if that is all it really had access to

• Options
    i went 5-0 in gauntlet today then lost 3 in a row...what i thought was a solid magmar deck lost twice in a row to the same vanar deck that might as well have been a constructed vespyr synergy deck

then for the 3rd loss we were even and then they guy plays zen-rul on 5, spellbinder on 6, and synja on 7 so yeah lost to bullshit there

• Options
    So peripheral stuff for this game seems pretty meager (streams/podcasts etc.) Anyone have any to recommend?

• Options
    So peripheral stuff for this game seems pretty meager (streams/podcasts etc.) Anyone have any to recommend?
    Been watching a pretty good Songhai player named HoodedArcher. Good commentary and gameplay, though his schedule seems a little erratic: