As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hamilton] is now on Disney+

LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stewWhen it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
edited July 2020 in Social Entropy++
How does a bastard, orphan, son of a whore
Get his own lyrical score?
A musical like you've never seen for sure.
I like to pretend but this has to end, sir.

So, Hamilton is a Broadway play that seems to be blowing up big, It's a hip hop musical adapted from a biography of Alexander Hamilton. This may sound like an odd pairing but Hamilton was a man who grew up poor, made himself via the power of his writing and as the show creator puts it "had beef with every founding father" back in the times when duels to the death over your honor were socially acceptable.

An album was made with the broadway cast and if you have a spotify account you can listen to it for free (although you may have to do it on a desktop because listening to it in order is definitely required, and I think mobile apps only let free users listen on shuffle):
Spotify
It's also free if you're an Amazon Prime member:
Amazon
Otherwise It's probably for sale in everyway/where music is sold now.

A helpful companion for listening is up on genius.com, it has full lyrics for each song along with who's singing them as well as annotations by the show creator and people on the internet full of facts. Each song has a header that will usually set the stage, give historical fact or insight about the structure of the song, maybe even all of the above.
Lyrics

Ja4O8Qc.jpg?1
From left: Daveed Diggs (Lafeyette/Jefferson), Okieriete Onaodowan(Mulligan/Madison), Christopher Jackson(Washington), Leslie Odom, Jr.(Burr,sir), Jasmine Cephas Jones(Peggy Schuyler/Maria Reynolds), Renée Elise Goldsberry(Angelica Schuyler), Phillipa Soo (Eliza Hamilton), and Anthony Ramos(Laurens, Hamilton).

Lasbrook on

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    This is so easily the best musical I've ever heard

And I like musicals and have listened to/seen a bunch

It's just so goddamn good and absolutely unlike anything else

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Angelica

Elizaaaa

And Peggy

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    hamilton's just doin' a straight up gurren lagann pose on the album art and i love it

1376261461627.gif

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    It's probably good that we have a thread for this because I've been listening to it every day and I feel like I have something new to talk about in it every day

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I think for a solid week now the audio in my head has just been a loop of the DA DA DA DA DAAAAAAAAAAA bits from the King George interludes

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I think for a solid week now the audio in my head has just been a loop of the DA DA DA DA DAAAAAAAAAAA bits from the King George interludes

Yeah I've been humming those bits a lot lately.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    it's not the biggest or best song but farmer refuted is pretty friggin' great

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    As a man who spent a great deal of time trying to figure out the financials of flying out to New York and catching this in December...I appreciate this thread.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I really wish every piece of media ever recognized the importance of having a HERCULES MULLIGAN moment

also I am in the very early stages of prototyping a board game based on Hamilton

it's basically Spartacus with rap battles instead of miniature combat

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    this thing has been taking over tumblr for the past month or so and now it's here

I guess I should check it out, huh

• Options

The overlap between Hamilton and Seabury is so unbelievably good that I listen to it a lot

• Options

The overlap between Hamilton and Seabury is so unbelievably good that I listen to it a lot

Also the little 'yeah' before Hamilton just starts laying into him makes me very happy

• Options
    this thing has been taking over tumblr for the past month or so and now it's here

I guess I should check it out, huh

Nah it blows we just like it ironically

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Not the musical in the op, but I saw Something Rotten and it was a great, great, hilariously well done musical.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Have some cool photos:
    gallery-1436380582-cosmo-august-15-hamilton-4.jpg
    gallery-1436381491-cosmo-august-15-hamilton-5.jpg
    gallery-1436380429-cosmo-august-15-hamilton-3.jpg
    Hamilton0044r.jpg

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    CosCos Registered User regular
    I am fully down the rabbit hole with genius.com. This show (and the annotations) really scratches my rabid curiosity about history something fierce.

• Options
    Goose! wrote: »
    Not the musical in the op, but I saw Something Rotten and it was a great, great, hilariously well done musical.

it wasn't as good as Hamilton

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    For the record, anyone on the fence about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNFf7nMIGnE

This is a solo performance of the opening song when it was written back in 2009

If you like this, it only gets better from there

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    YaYa wrote: »
    I really wish every piece of media ever recognized the importance of having a HERCULES MULLIGAN moment

also I am in the very early stages of prototyping a board game based on Hamilton

Hercules mulligan comes in like, I don't know. 2 Chainz on a guest track

NeoToma on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    SATISFIED IS SO GOOD

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »
    As a man who spent a great deal of time trying to figure out the financials of flying out to New York and catching this in December...I appreciate this thread.

Yeah, I may have done a little looking into this as well for sometime next year.

Also, thanks Mr. G I totally forgot to actually include any music.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular

Hercules Mulligan is Busta Rhymes don't even play.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options

He sorta reminded me of Busta Rhymes a bit.

• Options
    I said MCA, but I think it's just his voice

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I can definitely see MCA, he's got a lot of that raspiness there.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I know so little about rap and could not even begin to draw these comparisons

• Options
    i fuckin' love how at the start of Right Hand Man Hamilton keeps shouting "rise up" louder than the backing chorus

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I've been listening to this every day for over a month

my favorite song changes by the week

• Options
    SE++ Hamilton meetup, let's do it

• Options
    The more I listen, Thomas Jefferson is definitely an Andre 3000-type

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Cos wrote: »
    "Sit down John, you fat motherfucker!" was pretty great, partially because of the delivery, partially because it's so goddamned aggressive, out of nowhere

I think it's the last line of a longer rap about Jon Adams that got cut from the show—I stumbled across a video of Miranda doing said rap during what looked like some sort of press visit on set.

@Cos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDjvRGjIICQ

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I love that King George picture so so much

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    The original casting call lists Hercules as Busta Rhymes meets Donald O'Connor.

• Options
    I think Wait For It is my favorite song overall, but there are pieces of other songs that I like more

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I tear up during a lot of the cast recording (Satisfied, Stay Alive reprise, finale, etc.), but the thing that keeps getting me choked up lately is

Soldiers black and white alike wonder if this really means freedom

Not. Yet.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    At first hearing the concept I was intrigued

then I noticed that the Marquis Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier de Lafayette and now I gotta see it

(yes I remember the whole name by heart for my job)

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    At first hearing the concept I was intrigued

then I noticed that the Marquis Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier de Lafayette and now I gotta see it

(yes I remember the whole name by heart for my job)

Lafayette is a fuckin' BADASS in this

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Mr. G wrote: »
    The more I listen, Thomas Jefferson is definitely an Andre 3000-type

fV3mtrv.jpg

yeah, probably

• Options
    fun fact: during 'Meet Me Inside' on the Hamilton soundtrack, I almost cry every single time I hear the 'CALL ME SON ONE MORE TIME' line

every time i hear it i only hear the context in that my own father refuses to acknowledge my name no matter how many times i call him out

actually this fact isn't very fun but i felt like sharing it, it's a very powerful line to me anyway.