As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallout 4] 2 Fast 2 Furious

• Options
    builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    Amazon said my Fallout bundle was scheduled to ship today.

...guess what didn't happen. Well hopefully it'll get here by the 10th.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    builderr0r wrote: »
    Amazon said my Fallout bundle was scheduled to ship today.

...guess what didn't happen. Well hopefully it'll get here by the 10th.

Amazon has a tendency to wait until 11th hour and then overnight it.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    The new battle theme when you set your name to John Cena:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI5lrn69rOI

Wrasslin' makes absolutely no sense to me. None.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    They do that because its the only way to ensure it gets delivered on a specific day.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Tuesday is the traditional day for new releases at retail stores, including games, music, movies. Just a relic of the pre digital age.

• Options
    TheflyingassTheflyingass Registered User regular
    I don't hunch over my PC. Have I been doing it wrong?

Yes. All PC nerds must be hunched over their keyboard, inches from the monitor while simultaneously frothing about how their computers hardware specs.

Its not like you can't, say, set up a splitter and hook your PC up to your TV and use a controller. Or use one of those mini gaming macro boards and a book with a mouse. Or if you want to get all new age (because they aren't as jank now), use a XIM4 adapter so you can KBAM while you console.

Personally, I don't like using the sticks for anything that requires precision aiming. It feels like I'm sticking my arm out and trying to point it at things by moving my torso around. I just never got the hang of it. I mean, in the Arkham games, every time I came across those awful remote batarang puzzles, I would flip over to my mouse and do it, then go back to my controller.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I use a wireless keyboard and a coffee table that is supported by a central pillar, so that I can slide the table part over my couch cushions (if that makes sense) and use the mouse on that.

I use the same TV whether I am playing on my PC or PS4, and sit in the same position

Still gonna play with a controller probably. I mean really its just personal preference.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    TheflyingassTheflyingass Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »
    Pfft, mouse or controller. The true master race is obviously
    rZa26In.jpg

Get out.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    When you guys argue about peripherals God kills an angel.

• Options
    fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    Just in case anyone missed it, preload is up on Steam now.

So you know.

Do it.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    lol if you're not playing exclusively on a Rock Band drum kit

• Options
    DoctorEarsDoctorEars Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

pfft if you're not playing with a DDR mat then you're not a real Fallout 4 fan.

• Options

You joke, but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuBJdZ64PKA

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    there are videos in the Destiny thread of guys soloing raids using the rockband drum set

someone out there absolutely will play Fallout 4 using one

Al_wat on
  • Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    Guncon 2 or bust.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    RT800 wrote: »
    The Brotherhood are a bunch of assholes and I'm not taking any shit from 'em this time around.

Nooooooo!

The BoS is the best faction. They understand that most people just want the old world toys to go kill other people with them - that's why they want to get to an area first, secure that shit and get it into a bunker. They're not out on a crusade, unlike every other faction; they just want to stop people from getting their hands on kit that would enable them to rain mass death from heaven (and they are totally right! You, the player, can activate and abuse all kinds of abhorrent superweapons in New Vegas, for example, because the Mojave Chapter couldn't accomplish it's mission due to asshole local leadership followed by incompetent local leadership. Hardin would probably turn it around, though).

The only reason most players come into conflict with the BoS is when said players try to murder / connive their way into getting power armor or BoS-held weapon caches. You're the asshole, not the BoS. :P

EDIT: The BoS is basically the SCP Foundation of the Fallout world, but without the squicky rape lore.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I'll put this in a spoiler, but it's just some advice from a guy on reddit about Charisma perks.
    So evidently the dog can get crazy powerful if you buff him, which is nice to hear. Also, settlement shops generate passive income which means lots and lots of money. Thinking of going Charisma 6 now.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Finally beat New Vegas!
    Murdered Mr. House and Caesar, installed Yes Man myself and took over the whole thing. Got the Brotherhood to work with the NCR and finished all of Side Bets and then told the NCR to get the hell out and laughed all the while. The last cutscene showed that man, I really should have finished some of those side missions. I very clearly missed a ton of stuff. But hey, finished the main quest in time for 4!

And now I am preloaded and ready to rock for FO4.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    So. I'm getting pretty excited for this game.

Not much to add beyond that really. I didn't know how much I wanted a new Bethesda game until now that we're a few days from having one.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    I lucked out on pre-launch festivities to keep my mind occupied until the timer runs out.

I work open-volume bar in the morning tomorrow until I head out for my friend's bachelor party. Sunday is football/grilling out. Monday I cook breakfast for my fellow bartenders and then I'm going to take a prolonged nap until seven or eight PM and then go get the necessary groceries for an all-nighter. I can't effing wait but fortunately I don't have the weekend off like most mortals so I'll be busy almost the whole time. Sometimes my chosen profession pays off in more than just monetary gain.

Still... we're 3 days out and as much as I like to pretend like I won't be... I'll be counting the damn minutes...

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    The Ender wrote: »
    The Brotherhood are a bunch of assholes and I'm not taking any shit from 'em this time around.

Nooooooo!

The BoS is the best faction. They understand that most people just want the old world toys to go kill other people with them - that's why they want to get to an area first, secure that shit and get it into a bunker. They're not out on a crusade, unlike every other faction; they just want to stop people from getting their hands on kit that would enable them to rain mass death from heaven (and they are totally right! You, the player, can activate and abuse all kinds of abhorrent superweapons in New Vegas, for example, because the Mojave Chapter couldn't accomplish it's mission due to asshole local leadership followed by incompetent local leadership. Hardin would probably turn it around, though).

The only reason most players come into conflict with the BoS is when said players try to murder / connive their way into getting power armor or BoS-held weapon caches. You're the asshole, not the BoS. :P

EDIT: The BoS is basically the SCP Foundation of the Fallout world, but without the squicky rape lore.

True in theory, less true in practice. By the time of Vegas, they are on a crusade: all military tech belongs to them. As House said, you don't see them hoarding Autodoc technology. Also, introducing yourself to the Mojave chapter without Veronica present, you do NOT get a friendly welcome. Bomb collars for everyone! That enough right there was enough to convince me that chapter had to go. Most endings in New Vegas have them become simple tech raiders who don't want to share their toys.

They were at their prime in Fallout 1 when the Wasteland truly needed them, and despite their flaws, they got things done. The further along the timeline you go, the more the unhinged the West coast chapters become. And it's mostly due to goddamn Jeremy Maxson.
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Finally beat New Vegas!
    Murdered Mr. House and Caesar, installed Yes Man myself and took over the whole thing. Got the Brotherhood to work with the NCR and finished all of Side Bets and then told the NCR to get the hell out and laughed all the while. The last cutscene showed that man, I really should have finished some of those side missions. I very clearly missed a ton of stuff. But hey, finished the main quest in time for 4!

Yes, a Courier run Mojave is not all sunshine and roses even in the best of circumstances. Each of the factions, other than the Legion really, have their pros and cons for freedom, security, and progress.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

You joke, but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuBJdZ64PKA

Bro Gene Krupa would be ace at Drum FPS

• Options

Nooooooo!

True in theory, less true in practice. By the time of Vegas, they are on a crusade: all military tech belongs to them. As House said, you don't see them hoarding Autodoc technology. Also, introducing yourself to the Mojave chapter without Veronica present, you do NOT get a friendly welcome. Bomb collars for everyone! That enough right there was enough to convince me that chapter had to go. Most endings in New Vegas have them become simple tech raiders who don't want to share their toys.

They were at their prime in Fallout 1 when the Wasteland truly needed them, and despite their flaws, they got things done. The further along the timeline you go, the more the unhinged the West coast chapters become. And it's mostly due to goddamn Jeremy Maxson.
    Finally beat New Vegas!

Yes, a Courier run Mojave is not all sunshine and roses even in the best of circumstances. Each of the factions, other than the Legion really, have their pros and cons for freedom, security, and progress.

The Mojave was a shitshow. My final playthrough which I call my "canon run" was more or less like throwing a road flare into a box of fireworks and kicking it down a flight of stairs inside an old library. After siding with one group or another time and again I finally just kinda lost faith.
    tumblr_mezy08dbze1qbm00wo1_500.gif

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular

Nooooooo!

Finally beat New Vegas!

People still forget that in the very first game, when you meet the Brotherhood at their bunker, they send you off to a radioactive dump to get a holotape in order to allow you to join their ranks. AS A PRANK! They sent other people before you to the same fate! The guy giving you the quest even chuckles a bit as he's telling you about it! THEY'RE A BUNCH OF ASSHOLES.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options

I don't think he even exists in this lore though - says the only mention of him was in Van Buren, which is generally non-canon since it was cancelled and doesn't get referenced in subsequent titles.

• Options

Nooooooo!

Finally beat New Vegas!

People still forget that in the very first game, when you meet the Brotherhood at their bunker, they send you off to a radioactive dump to get a holotape in order to allow you to join their ranks. AS A PRANK! They sent other people before you to the same fate! The guy giving you the quest even chuckles a bit as he's telling you about it! THEY'RE A BUNCH OF ASSHOLES.

Yeah, but, I mean, that's kind of how the wasteland works, right?

Choose which assholes upset you the least, offer tentative loyalty and hedge your bets with everyone else. Then, when the time is right, slay them all.

Or, I suppose you could be some kind of goody-goody who tries to, I 'unno, SAVE people, I guess.

Butterfly dreams and puppy smiles and all that... wimp.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    A huge chunk of New Vegas' lore is based on Van Buren though. Now I'm not saying it's 1:1, because clearly stuff got changed and altered, but it is a good a reason as any why the Brotherhood went as nuts as they did.

Other Brotherhood Van Buren lore is canon I'll point out, such as the Circle of Steel (Christine), the Brotherhood-NCR war, and repeated use of stealth boys causing paranoia.

Nooooooo!

Finally beat New Vegas!

That was addressed though, and after you join, their attitude is one of acceptance and curiosity. Not the "GET OUT OUTSIDER" of the Mojave chapter. They cleared the Hub of raiders, destroyed the remnants of the Master's army, and worked with the NCR. No, it was not out of a savior complex, but they were generally more helpful, and less whiny about others "owning" technology.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    The problem with the brotherhood is, as has been mentioned, different chapters have wildly different policy, views, and 'interpretations' of their goals.

If someone wanted to destroy the brotherhood they should just hold a giant reunion and invite everyone. Five minutes in the west coast and east coast would be having a shootout over the definition of a 'ghoul' and the inevitable 'your mother' joke one makes.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Spoilers for available companions and their associated perks:
    http://i.imgur.com/lEsY0uC.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/y9kwGmj.jpg

Cool: Synth detective, medicbot, paladin
    Meh: Cait looks like a gangly meth addict instead of a strong brawler, Hancock looks like a burned alien with a silly hat instead of a fearsome ghoul pirate

Going by implications on the pages, it appears you can command companions to do things like lockpicking and hacking. Makes them infinitely more useful now.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    What's the deal with the launch date anyway? Wouldn't it make way more sense to have this thing hit the shelves during the weekend?

I think Tuesday's the most common launch day, but I forget why. Might be related to shipping or something.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    welp, pre-purchased

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    If anybody has an issue waiting for Fallout 4, I can highly recommend ESO. Wait, hear me out...

If I'd think of ESO on scale of ten, when I first played it during the beta on PC, I found it to be at best a six. Ugly and boring. I thought the story telling hooks had potential, and that it didn't feel half bad playing it from the first person perspective, so I vowed to give it a chance one day down the line.

One and a half years later, after it dropped the subscription fees and came out on consoles, I finally picked it up in a PSN sale. Now playing the game proper, it quickly turned out that the story telling and writing indeed works for me. Questing and exploring is what I like doing most in MMORPGs. A couple of sessions in, I already liked it like a seven.

Over the next month or so, questing for hours every day, the thing kept me hooked. I never found Elder Scrolls to be a very compelling setting lore-wise, but ESO slowly but surely fleshes out the universe for me much more completely. I learn all there is to know about the races of my faction, the Bosmer and Altmer and Khajiit, their world views, quirks and foibles, and believes. Tamriel, for the first time, becomes more of real place to me. It's been a rocksolid 8 for most of this time.

The more I have played of it, the more its unique intricacies, like the very open-to-experimentation character progression, and the smart and integral-feeling crafting systems start to shine too, which all harken back to how singleplayer Elder Scrolls games handle these things. Over and over again, there are quests and locations that play out way above the average 8-out-of-10ness of it. I come out of a two hour session, and it felt like a 9-out-of-10 experience just now. So by sheer virtue of the quantity and quality of continuous questing, really fleshing out Tamriel, and the uniqueness of its systems, and how close these actually are to proper Elder Scrolls games, it went from a seemingly boring game, to being the quintessence of Elder Scrolls, and essential.

So yeah, if you think ESO is at best a 6-out-of-10 experience, and you've got a tolerance for MMO yank, maybe give it a chance this weekend, if only to kill some time 'til Fallout 4 releases. You might find yourself, at some point in the future, way after you've put Fallout 4 down again, end up after an evening of playing ESO, with a very satisfied feeling in your gut, and surprisedly smirk to yourself, and say: "That was extraordinary. That felt like a 9-out-of-10 experience! Who knew?". Well, I do. Highly recommended.

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    Is the PSN preload up yet? If so, I guess it's time to preorder.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Unlucky wrote: »
    I caved. Found it cheap. Bought it.

Counting the days.

Sir, you don't get to say that without laying out the details!

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular

Meh: Cait looks like a gangly meth addict instead of a strong brawler, Hancock looks like a burned alien with a silly hat instead of a fearsome ghoul pirate

Going by implications on the pages, it appears you can command companions to do things like lockpicking and hacking. Makes them infinitely more useful now.

I was not interested in companions before.

Now I am very interested in companions. Wow.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Like so many other things, I believe the BoS started out with basically good intentions. "Let's gather up all the useful and/or dangerous shit, repair what we can, and keep it safe for when it's needed - when conditions stabilize enough to begin recovery." But then mission creep set in, as it so often does. And the 'chosen stewards' came to feel, consciously or not, that the time would never be right, and no one but themselves could ever be trusted or ready or fit to use this stuff responsibly. "Someday" will never actually come.

Now, if the BoS existed in a vacuum, that'd be the end of it - a bunch of warrior hermits squatting on a pile of stuff that's Too Awesome to Use, forever. But they don't... and around them, without their help and even despite them in a lot of cases, the recovery that they were founded in anticipation of is going on anyway. With each passing year they become more and more irrelevant. They used to be "the" big dog on the block, with their power armor and inassailable bunkers; now, there are a lot of other powers who can and will stand up to them, fight them, and defeat them.

IMO, there's basically two ways this can go/end for the BoS. Engagement... or extinction. The latter might be slow or quick, depending on whether they keep poking the Bear (literally and metaphorically) and asserting some sort of divine right to All The Shinies, or go full isolationist and hole up in their bunkers to quietly die off. But either way, it's inevitable, unless... they listen to those radicals who suggest actually opening the vaults and using (and handing out) the treasures they've spent the last two centuries hoarding and polishing for "someday."

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    KisidanKisidan Registered User regular
    I was pretty set on Rick as my first play through. Crazy drunk science monster with horrible relations to his family - possibly calling the dog Morty if I can.

That launch trailer though! The female VA really knocked it out of the park!

I mean I'll do both eventually but damn, now I have even more indecision. Which is, as we all know, not very Rick.

• Options
    builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    I hope I have Veteran's Day off so I can play Fallout all day...My employer needs to understand how important this is. :P

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I was not interested in companions before.

Now I am very interested in companions. Wow.

That's only because you're hoping to romance Dogmeat - admit it, you sick bastard. :bzz:

This discussion has been closed.