As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A new [minecraft] thread? A new [minecraft] game? A new [minecraft] OP? What?

RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
edited October 2015 in Games and Technology
jf0Xx.png
1010842689_DYj3P-L.jpg
1015419613_NYok6-L.jpg

What is Minecraft?
First and foremost, Minecraft is a game about placing and breaking blocks. Some blocks break easy, others are hard. To make your life easier, you might want to craft an axe to fell trees with, or a pickaxe for mining stone and ores. When night falls, out come the things that go bump. To protect yourself from zombies, skeletons, spiders, Endermen and exploding green wangs, you'll build a small house from wood and stone and use your ores to smelt ingots of iron and gold with which to craft a suit of armor and a sword. All this building and mining and fighting can make a person hungry, so you'll probably cultivate a small piece of land to grow some wheat and vegetables. Maybe build a pen with a few sheep, chickens and cows for wool, eggs and milk.

Now, a fair warning. By this point it will probably be too late to save yourself. You'll face a slippery slope from that first small cobblestone house and two cows to the eventual Flying Castle of Doom, complete with lava moats, automated mob grinders,Turing complete redstone computer, piston-powered castle gates, NPC villager housing, a Spleef arena, a Batman-themed rollercoaster, a 1:1 scale model of the Eiffel tower, and a treasure room filled to the brim with diamonds, emeralds and a single dragon egg.

Who Made Minecraft?
Development of Minecraft started back in 2009 by Markus "Notch" Persson who was inspired by the then recently-discontinued Infiminier, a small game about placing and removing blocks made by Zachtronic Industries (of Spacechem fame). Minecraft started very similar to the original Infiniminer, but with time more and more features were added. First came multiplayer. Then a survival mode with tools, health and enemies. And eventually infinite* worlds. Minecraft grew to insane popularity and allowed Notch to form his own gaming company - Mojang Studios. These days, lead development of Minecraft is headed by Jens "Jeb" Bergensten. New features are still being added, with built-in Twitch integration coming next. OH MAN ALSO MINECRAFT WAS BOUGHT BY MICROSOFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*Well, infinite enough. 9,258,235 times the surface of the Earth.

How can I play it?
Minecraft is primarily a PC game. A console version is available for the Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita. A pocket edition is available for iOS and Android devices. There's even a version of the game for the Raspberry Pi. The console and pocket editions of the game do not feature all the content found in the PC version, but more and more is being ported over with each new update. All versions (sans Raspberry Pi) feature multiplayer.

Modded Minecraft?
Tired of the regular minecraft experience? Because you can do so much more! There is so much in modded minecraft and packs come out with varying levels of regularity. Ask in thread for recommendations, but typical advice in to watch whatever Direwolf20 video series is latest and he does a great job of laying out what you can do while also playing along. Its a fun but deep pool and is almost an entirely different game experience.
Both of these are self contained launchers that give you access to different flavors of packs. They will auto update and manage the process of helping you mod your minecraft play experience with little effort, which is awesome because manually creating a pack of mods that you want to play with used to be terrible.
Feed the beast
Tekkit
minecraft_storymode_logo.png
What is Minecraft Story mode?
I...I really don't know.

PA Servers

Thread Server
Currently not being run due to laziness. Seriously, I keep meaning to launch a new server but school has kept me busy and Destiny has its claws in me something fierce.

SE++ server
Where this threads servers have been modded, they typically run vanilla servers and have some neat projects and it looks like they have a great time. For info you should go check out their thread.

Nations at War
http://nationsatwar.org/
Currently in between seasons, preparing for Season 3. PAers need not go through application process, just see @Empirical.

The Underdark: Is no longer active and has gone.
Download link for third UD and @ArcSyn map: http://titanium.dickite.com/minecraft/
@Bele was kind enough to scrounge up clean versions of some of the later caves that were added and toss them into the CleanUD, not all of them are there sadly but several are.
Download link for the last/fourth UD: http://titanium.dickite.com/minecraft/UNDERDARK.zip
IF YOU HAVE A SERVER AND WANT IT TO BE ADDED TO THE LIST, FEEL FREE TO PM ME.
Thanks to Kris_xK, Ein, Vic, Jerick, DeShadowC, Empirical, and AkimboEG for the previous OP's

PSN: jfrofl
Radiation on

• f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    I've never played Minecraft before, but my son was talking about how some kids at school were playing it, so I figure we'll give it a shot. How does it work with multiple accounts though? If I buy the game, can my son and I play with our own characters on the same computer, on the same world? Like, if I build a house or whatever, can I log off, let him log on, then he'll play as his own character with his own inventory, but be able to go and use my house?

steam_sig.png
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    You would both need your own accounts in order to play at the same time and have separate inventories.

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Yeah, there is no multiple character options on an account. There is no multiple characters. You are always your account. So if he logged on to your account, the game wouldn't consider him different than if you had.

To elaborate more: Every time you join or create a new world, you pop in as a new character. That will always be your character for that world. Now that character will always look like the same person, that being whatever 'skin' you have chosen to be applied to your character (default is Steve). This unique 'you' is saved by account, so your account is always 'you.' But every new world will have a new version of 'you.' You can not ever delete 'you' and create a new version on a world you've already been on, there is only one 'you' per world. You can delete the world in single player games and then make a new world, which comes with its new you.

In order to have two separate, distinct people with different inventories and such, there needs to be two accounts, as each account counts as its own distinct 'person'.

However, having you and your son play the same character isn't that big of a deal. There are no skills or points or levels as such that differ from character to character. You could achieve the same result of different inventories with two chests, one for you, one for your son, and just put everything in your inventory in the chest before you log off.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    That kinda stinks @Buttcleft . Did it happen after a pack update or did something just get loose in your farm and trample the crops?

Also @Radiation it's about time to put this year-and-a-half-old thread to bed. If anyone wants something to be in the new OP you should probably speak up about it now.

@Ianator

Nope, happened mid game, harvested everything, went and ground out a bunch of witchery stuff, went back to harvest again and..all gone, everything.

Thankfully I managed to have surplus seeds in a forgotten cache so I basically just cheated in a shitton of magical fertilizer (cause crops only spread when they are mature) and force spread them all (and cheated in the few seeds and force progressed them to 10 10 10 again) to fill up all my plots with whatever I lost.

No idea how it happened, not like it was mobs or anything. Just..weird.

Took like an hour last night to fix everything, but I'm back to where I was after about 30 minutes of rage.

not that it matters since its single player, but I only cheated what it took to get me back to where I was, then deleted the surplus.

• f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Thanks for the info, guys. Separate chests it is!

steam_sig.png
    @Buttcleft Have you filled your chalice with redstone soup? That should help with altar power.

Something else:
    Make sure to have lots of trees, but only a few trees from each different modpack. Plant Moss on all of them.

edited October 2015
    LD50 wrote: »
    @Buttcleft Have you filled your chalice with redstone soup? That should help with altar power.

Something else:
    Make sure to have lots of trees, but only a few trees from each different modpack. Plant Moss on all of them.

need the drop of luck to make the redstone soup.

edit
    Well looks like agricrops crops don't register for witchery altar power.

planted a big field near my altar and didn't get a change in power. Which leaves me befuddled how to get the last 1000 power to make the drop of luck to make the redstone soup

Buttcleft on
    You can lower the altar power cost by drawing a chalk circle around your cauldron too. Do a 5x5 circle with the cauldron in place of the heart glyph.

• NoughtNought Registered User regular
    This is starting to sound more and more like tech support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKwWHFm803o

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
    had to turn the goddamn witchery room into a dense nearly unnavigable jungle, but I got my witchery altar up to 10000+ (the drop of luck required 6500ish altar power)

Also planted a couple treefyds in my gaia arena and they made the fight a laugh. Gaia II is still currently unbeatable for me though, but I'm thinking my new Tainted Blood Pendant with Regeneration II will fix that.

and after that, I hope to get started on building a thaumatorium and move my thaumery into it, so I can setup an infusion altar so I can get the "Use" Golem Animation cores.

so I can make them harvest my fields with scythes, already have the hopperhocks installed to pick up the drops. Then I'll have a BC pipe network to suck the essences/crops out of the chests and push them into barrels in my workshop.

perhaps autoassemble the essence crops with only one output (like experience and metal seeds), and leave the multi output essences (nether, thaumshards, etc) as essences so I can make what I need when I need them.

Buttcleft wrote: »
    had to turn the goddamn witchery room into a dense nearly unnavigable jungle, but I got my witchery altar up to 10000+ (the drop of luck required 6500ish altar power)

Also planted a couple treefyds in my gaia arena and they made the fight a laugh. Gaia II is still currently unbeatable for me though, but I'm thinking my new Tainted Blood Pendant with Regeneration II will fix that.

and after that, I hope to get started on building a thaumatorium and move my thaumery into it, so I can setup an infusion altar so I can get the "Use" Golem Animation cores.

so I can make them harvest my fields with scythes, already have the hopperhocks installed to pick up the drops. Then I'll have a BC pipe network to suck the essences/crops out of the chests and push them into barrels in my workshop.

perhaps autoassemble the essence crops with only one output (like experience and metal seeds), and leave the multi output essences (nether, thaumshards, etc) as essences so I can make what I need when I need them.

Yeah, we built our witchery room in a giant basement directly underneath the altar. Made doing witchery much easier.

LD50 wrote: »

Yeah, we built our witchery room in a giant basement directly underneath the altar. Made doing witchery much easier.

Under my witchery room is my garden tower, so I didn't have room to go under, and I didn't know how far the altar looked up or down or if it did at all.

So now I have a overgrown jungle for a witchery room, may have to make side rooms just to hold the friggen circles for rituals

anyone have some suggestions on how to possibly get materials from the overworld to witchery's dream world?

I saw something about using Tinkers Construct's Traveller's belt, but I cant figure out how it works (cant even equip it)

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    No, sorry, I've never even really touched Witchery. I installed it in my current modpack to finally get a chance to try it.

edited October 2015
    looks like the next Regrowth update has been given to FTB, so watch your clients for when they push it live if you want to update.

Be aware however that the next update also updates botania, and it updates botania to the fuckstupid version that punishes people that dare play in a way godqueen vazkii deems undesirable.

Buttcleft on
    anyone have some suggestions on how to possibly get materials from the overworld to witchery's dream world?

I saw something about using Tinkers Construct's Traveller's belt, but I cant figure out how it works (cant even equip it)

It's stupid complicated, but yes:

The only way I've found is ender chests.

Do enough spirit world mining to get yourself a Mariculture vat or two, and enough clay to make some buckets. Make obsidian in the vats with water and lava.

Get to the ocean in the spirit world and collect some clams, if you're lucky you'll get an ender pearl straight away, but if you don't, take them back to your base of operations and set up a basic pearl farm.

Make a quest book in the spirit world. I don't remember the recipe, but I remember it being easy to craft, and should show up in NEI.

In the overworld, complete the repeatable essence quests that gives you blaze essence, but don't turn it in. Return to the spirit world and use your newly made book to turn them in there. Repeat until you have enough to craft a blaze rod/powder.

The repeatable quest has a cooldown, so it's good to make the book and start doing it straight away so you don't waste a bunch of time waiting around.

edited October 2015
    The one thing I'll grant Vazkii is that all bosses should have battle music.

Also, for those who care, Thaumcraft 5.0 was released today for Minecraft 1.8. Sadly it's about the only mod updated for 1.8, but I may still try it out this weekend.

EDIT: I also heard that the Flugel Tiara has been nerfed and only offers a brief flight time. If there was any reason to use it over the Angel Ring before, it's gone now.

Terrendos on
  • CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    The tiara seems redundant in general, except for the air dash, considering you can achieve roughly the same effect with a rod of the skies and a hang glider. It's also too expensive for the convenience of having those effects without using up space on your bar, I think - especially if you use a tconstruct belt.
    I think everything that uses gaia spirits is not worth the effort, though.

A lesser item that was just a wearable hang glider would be really nice.

Well, I goofed around a bit with Thaumcraft 5 today. Here's a few of my thoughts, spoilered just in case people want to find out about these things for themselves.
    Starting out with the thing that makes me saddest, it seems as though Energized Nodes are no longer a thing. I really liked how you could use them to power all the different Thaumcraft machines in your base, and now I can't. This mechanic also got a lot of use in Thaumcraft addons, too.

I feel like the new Essentia Distilling machine is an improvement. The ones from previous Thaumcrafts all felt like they were pretty much just "build them once per map and forget" but now there's a couple of tiers and another addon or two you can add to make the device a bit more modular.

A lot of the early-game tedium is gone, which seems good. You have all the aspects right away and don't have to run around scanning everything. Also, your wands automatically recharge from the aura rather than needing to find nodes directly, which is also convenient.

It looks like you can set up crystal farms now? Seems pretty cool.

Golems are basically absent, but that's a temporary thing (Azanor has explained that he's rewriting Golems basically from scratch and they will be re-included in the future). The bits and bobs from golems that are there make them seem a bit more steampunk and a bit less outright magical, but that's more my inference than explicit evidence.

Lots of formerly separate researches have been combined into single items, which makes things like getting all the different Thaumium infused tools (Pickaxe of the Core, etc.) much easier as it's a single research instead of five.

Infusion Enchantment seems to be gone, which is a little sad. Thaumic Tinkerer's Osmotic Enchanter was always the go-to for best way to enchant anything with Thaumcraft, but I liked having the option.

Overall, I'd say it's a slight improvement, though I will definitely miss a couple of the defining features of Thaumcraft 4. Really a moot point, though, at least until a few more mods get updated for 1.8.

Wand recharging I'm glad to see changed, because I always end up needing one aspect to recharge from that no node within 300m of my base seems to have.

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Pretty sure Infusion is still a thing, there's specific blocks for making Infusion work better now

VRXwDW7.png
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Pretty sure Infusion is still a thing, there's specific blocks for making Infusion work better now

Infusion Enchantment. You know, the thing that lets you put specific enchantments on objects in exchange for experience and objects on the infusion altar?

one thing that always bugged me is that I wish you could have recharged your wand with liquid aspects

Like, put your wand on the infusion altar and recharge it from jars of aer aqua perdito etc etc

edited November 2015
    I put some time into gaia II last night and again today when I got home.

was much easier with a regeneration III tainted blood pendant, and the lucky enchant of protection IV on all my elementium armor.

Unfortunately the die of fate was an utter, utter bitch.

10 Gaia II battles, 10 Die of Fate drops. before I begin, you may or may not know..there are only 6 prizes from the Die of Fate, each is assigned to a number. If you roll 4, and get the ring of thor, then get another die of fate, and again roll a 4, you get nothing, not a second thor ring.

So, 10 fights, 10 dies of fate.. The first fucking eight rolls were the same god damn number so all I got for all that effort was a single Ring of Thor, 8 fucking times in a row I rolled 4s on the die of fate

on the 9th roll I got the Ring of Odin, 10th roll? another fucking 4

I rolled 10 die and got 4 nine times.

Buttcleft on
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Is it possible to get my own server that others can play on with me without having to pay for it?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Stragint wrote: »
    Is it possible to get my own server that others can play on with me without having to pay for it?

depends on how many players you want to host.

• TakelTakel Registered User regular
    It depends on how many people you want to host, and what mods if any
    It will also really really depend on your internet upload speeds. Minecraft is really crap when it comes to server resources

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    So I'm running another after school minecraft program at my wife's elementary school this year and wanted to see if anyone had some good server side mods they could suggest for maybe one session events, last year we finished the school year with some survival games and it was a blast so I already plan to build another arena for that. Suggestions that might be more on the creative side of things would be great. I spent most of the summer getting the basics working again for a 1.8.7 spigot server and having a kid, so didn't have much of a chance to really see if anything new game play wise was released. Client side mods are welcome suggestions, but implementing them could be an issue as the schools computer lab machines ranges from "pretty decent for 2007" to "I don't think this could run Oregon Trail".

Current server setup:
    Spigot 1.8.7
    Towny
    Multiverse
    Fe (economy)
    Pex
    PlotsSquared
    worldguard
    worldedit
    marenswaypoints
    (various other support/admin mods)

Vechloran.png
    edited November 2015
    Has anyone tried updating regrowth to 0.8.3 then plopping the unfucked botania version from 0.8.2 into it?

edit
    Haha you can get a (albeit random and unreliable) t3 botania runes from gaia II.

I've almost completed that t3 rune quest just from gaia drops.

Buttcleft on
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    You guys...when is there going to be a server to play on?

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
    Has anyone tried updating regrowth to 0.8.3 then plopping the unfucked botania version from 0.8.2 into it?

edit
    Haha you can get a (albeit random and unreliable) t3 botania runes from gaia II.

I've almost completed that t3 rune quest just from gaia drops.

I think the botania update adds new stuff that there's quests for in the regrowth book, so my guess is that it won't work.

Heurgh... man, I had no idea how bad IE would be in terms of needed resources. I've all but exhausted my Iron supply and I'm still nowhere close to getting Biodiesel up and running. I'm starting to think I should look into an alternate power source for my quarry.

IE has two resources

Steel

a fuckton of Steel

VRXwDW7.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    IE has two resources

Steel

a fuckton of Steel

Is that a metric or imperial fuckton?

JtgVX0H.png
    In a game of meter cubed blocks?

Imperial all the fucking way

VRXwDW7.png
    IE has two resources

Steel

a fuckton of Steel

I am super pleased that I installed Witching Gadgets in this pack, because it has an Infernal Furnace that turns Iron into Steel 10 times faster than the stupid blast furnace and without needing fuel other than Ignis vis.

Still... yeah, I need to acquire one metric buttload of iron.

Terrendos wrote: »
    IE has two resources

Steel

a fuckton of Steel

I am super pleased that I installed Witching Gadgets in this pack, because it has an Infernal Furnace that turns Iron into Steel 10 times faster than the stupid blast furnace and without needing fuel other than Ignis vis.

You are playing modded minecraft, how do you not already have multiple imperial cubic fuckloads of iron.

Terrendos wrote: »
    IE has two resources

Steel

a fuckton of Steel

You are playing modded minecraft, how do you not already have multiple imperial cubic fuckloads of iron.

Never built a quarry. I was going to use the IE thing instead. Now I am thinking Culinary Generators powered by autocrafted Super-Spicy Chili from Pam's Harvestcraft.

Just make a ticon hammer and spend an hour under ground, you'll have like 50 billion iron then.

I think I'm officially done with Regrowth.

No I didn't finish it, but I'm now stuck with an old version and I don't want to update and deal with bullshit stupid botania changes, so I think I'm just giving up on it.