As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I put on my robe and wizard [CHAT]

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Wow, scariest moment ever!

This homeless guy I've known for a while asked me if I could drive him to the pharmacy. I though, it's a 15 minute drive... sure, this guy is harmless. In my car, we have this really akward conversation where he tells me about Nam... also, he confeses to me that the medication is for his skizofrenia.

Halfway there he says 'turn left here' I turn and imediately found myself in a really really REALLY bad neigborhood.

My fear went from 'meh' to 'oh god, I'm gonna die' when he tells me 'Stop here, wait for me while I do something... I don't want you catching any heat'

The moment the guy got off my car I drove the hell out of there.

Crap... I seriously though I was gonna get shot.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Antibodies wrote:
    Man where is that Joe Kubert School of drawing at? Pennsylvania or something? We just had a pretty cool Adrian Tomine exhibit here in Chicago at the Contemporary Art Museum. I'd kill to look at Kirby's big fine prints though.

I post in G&T but not a lot really. SE is a damned entertaining read from time to time as well.
    It's in New Jersey. My boyfriend went there. I've been trying to get him to post his stuff here, but he is shy like a woman.

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    freekfreek Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Homeless people are fun. I used to have to get the mail everyday at 9:30am on the dot at the local post office for the office I worked for. At the Post Office was this old lady with no teeth and always wore a million layers regardless of the heat (this was Phoenix, AZ mind you). She always knew everyone's names that came up, including mine. So every morning I was greeted by her. Building rapport, so that when she was opening the door and said hi every morning you would feel bad not giving her something. Smart, really. At the time I was still smoking so when I got out of the car I would light one up. I think she had a super sense for hearing or smelling that and always was there when I lit my smoke. She asked for one and we'd chat until we finished. Never about anything important. Mostly about her kids and where she went wrong. And a lot about her living situation. When I finally decided to quit smoking, she thought I was out and started rolling her own for me. I didn't have much willpower, or the heart to refuse something from someone who has so little, so I stood there and smoked with her. Man, rolled cigarettes knock you on your ass. Looking back now, It probably wasn't the best idea to take smokes from a bum, but eh, I was quitting.

tl;dr - don't smoke with bums

freek on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

This homeless guy I've known for a while asked me if I could drive him to the pharmacy. I though, it's a 15 minute drive... sure, this guy is harmless. In my car, we have this really akward conversation where he tells me about Nam... also, he confeses to me that the medication is for his skizofrenia.

Halfway there he says 'turn left here' I turn and imediately found myself in a really really REALLY bad neigborhood.

My fear went from 'meh' to 'oh god, I'm gonna die' when he tells me 'Stop here, wait for me while I do something... I don't want you catching any heat'

I'd have done the same thing. Not the part about driving crazy skitzos around, but the part about driving the hell out of that situation.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    EhmaviscaEhmavisca Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

Dick!! That's not very nice.

[spoiler:e76c671344] I would have done the same thing. penis. [/spoiler:e76c671344]

Ehmavisca on
  • Options
    Ape2001Ape2001 Otaku GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006

Oh my ^^''
    Maybe that guy was just making fun of you and was laughing his butt off when he went in his house. I really like to see it this way than thinking you were on the brink of death. Or rape, or both ^^'

Btw: WoW-Universe gets its own movie.

Ape2001 on
    - SF42012 Gen replays and anime trailers http://www.youtube.com/user/derBene
    - great animation focused website http://www.catsuka.com
  • Options
    ScopsScops Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Scops on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, that's a great idea, because every goddamn adaptation of a game was a true masterpiece. mad.gif

Mayday on
  • Options
    PenguinoPenguino Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    haha, I thought Silent Hill was alright.

But if it's anything like Street Fighter (live action) or the Super Mario Bros Movie I'll...not watch it.

[spoiler:6d90cb7309]Yes I will.[/spoiler:6d90cb7309]

Penguino on
    PenguinoSignaturecopy.jpg
  • Options
    JonisJonis Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    You guys know of woot.com? This guy got a fucking huge tv for a buck during the woot-off. ridiculous

http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=763047&PageIndex=71&ReplyCount=2901#post792092

Jonis on
  • Options
    PenguinoPenguino Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    That forum is confusing, even the people there were confused :?

Penguino on
    PenguinoSignaturecopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Good news: I'm sitting naked in front of my PC.

Bad news: I'm getting heavily drunk this evening.

Mayday on
  • Options
    GolemGolem of Sand Saint Joseph, MORegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Mayday wrote:
    Good news: I'm sitting naked in front of my PC.

Bad news: I'm getting heavily drunk this evening.

Next Mornings Bad News: The Floppy drive is ruined and I can't look my computer in the LCD's anymore.

Golem on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Golem wrote:
    Next Mornings Bad News: The Floppy drive is ruined and I can't look my computer in the LCD's anymore.

For this exact reason I got rid of my floppy drive years ago and I have a CRT.

Bad news: I got dressed already.
    Good news: I'm making spaghetti for dinner.

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Awesome News: My first ad campaign ever was approved!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    supergluesuperglue Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Combotulations Elizagreth...

superglue on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

Nice, what was it for?

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Ok, I want some opinions for my Sinister Six pin-up. I know that I want to go with Doc Ock, Sandman, Shocker, and Mysterio. I just need to fill the last two spots. I'm between Electro, Hobgoblin, and the Lizard. The Beetle is also kind of tempting, but I'm leaning more towards Hobgoblin and the Lizard. What do you guys think???

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    supergluesuperglue Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Buckwolfe wrote:
    Ok, I want some opinions for my Sinister Six pin-up. I know that I want to go with Doc Ock, Sandman, Shocker, and Mysterio. I just need to fill the last two spots. I'm between Electro, Hobgoblin, and the Lizard. The Beetle is also kind of tempting, but I'm leaning more towards Hobgoblin and the Lizard. What do you guys think???

Lizard isn't really sinister, as he's actually a friend of SM in his regular form, (and often isn't in control of his transformations) Electro/Shocker are basically the same villain. Vulture could be a good Baddie, Hobgob is a good baddie, Rhino is a good baddie (albeit easily defeated, but could make for a good filler Opponent) Black Cat could be a good baddie (and balance the Sausage-fest)...

But how would you mastermind the creation of the Sinister 6... I could see Mysterio doing it, but I KNOW Sandman and Shocker wouldn't really listen to/take orders from a guy with a fishbowl on his head.

Doc Ock would be a good leader, but the general lack of charisma is a problem.

I suggest maybe adding Kingpin to the list...

But that's me. I thought I'd just throw a couple of other characters in there...

But I really don't think Lizard is a good choice. (very visually interesting char, though)

/nerd.

superglue on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    The Lizard is just as much a villian as any of them, and its because he can't control his alter ego that makes him a good villain. I really don't see why you think he wouldn't make a valid member of the team, despite the fact that he is a former member.

I've always found the Vulture to be boring and rather lack luster.

Rhino, Black Cat, and King Pin were never part of the Sinister Six.

I just wanted to know which members (past and present) people prefer and might like to see.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Fuck. I've got back into WoW. I always manage to quit for a small amount of time (a month) and then get bored and go back to it as a new character. Art out of the window, blizzard grind in the window. I wish there was another game out there that could take me away from this tired old world but nothing appeals. Bring on lord of the rings online please.

Lly on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Lly: play Ultima 7.

Buckwolfe: Hobgoblin, that's for sure.

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, decided about 5 minutes ago to lock Hobby in as my 5th. I need number six though. I'm still leaning towards Lizard. Thinking of making him more chameleon (not the Spidey villian) based. There's already been plenty of takes on Lizard that are croc based, gator based, snake based, and just as a generic reptile. I'm thinking this might be a nice fresh take on him.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    AntibodiesAntibodies Used to live in a psychic city. Never knew what would happen in a day. Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Buck, If I was designing a Sinister Six I'd do them from a design point, not relevance really. Whoever is the most diverse group visually and character wise and the most fun to draw and who needs to fill teh composition if you're just doing a pin up. Lizard is fun as hell to draw and has been a member in good standing throughout numerous incarnations of the group.

You gotta have a Goblin because you need a flyer to fill the upper space. And you can't be without Mysterio(supposed to cameo is Spiderman 3) and Doc Ock because they are the most consister members along with Electro/Shocker. Kraven always seemed boring to me, maybe you can spice him up. Chameleon and Scorpion also kickass.

Kingpin would NEVER involve himself with such a group, he's very laissez faire with his villainy. I am very eager to see how this turns out. You're building a fine stable of work for the Spidey Thread which will inevitiably launch with the movie.

Antibodies on
    XBL: thetinwoodsman
  • Options
    edited November 2006

Nice, what was it for?

I work at a Medical Insurance company, it's an educational campaign meant to tell ppl not to go to the emergency room if it's not an emergency also to eat right and excersice.

God, it sounds so boring when I actually say it.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

Nice, what was it for?

I work at a Medical Insurance company, it's an educational campaign meant to tell ppl not to go to the emergency room if it's not an emergency also to eat right and excersice.

God, it sounds so boring when I actually say it.
    I approve of this campaign.

Virum on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    That's actually one of the main reasons why health care costs are skyrocketing.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, I know. I used to work at an educational hospital which wouldn't turn anybody away from ER care regardless of ability to pay.

So everybody without insurance would go there even if it was just pneumonia or whatever. :|

Virum on
  • Options
    thevo1tathevo1ta Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Fuck. I've got back into WoW. I always manage to quit for a small amount of time (a month) and then get bored and go back to it as a new character. Art out of the window, blizzard grind in the window. I wish there was another game out there that could take me away from this tired old world but nothing appeals. Bring on lord of the rings online please.

some people I work with and some others around the area call it a wowcation.

thevo1ta on
    hanshotfirst.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I quit back at the end of April and never looked back. I got tired of the emphasis of the game being on huge 40 man raids that take five or six hours to do, and the chances of getting new items were both slim and costly. It simply ceased to be fun. It became nothing but raids, raids, raids, and new uber leet gear for the sole purpose of showing off and pwning other players, who don't have uber leet gear, in the battle grounds. That's why I kept rerolling characters once I reached level 50 or 60. The little five man raids in the lower end dungeons were not only 300% more fun, but a hell of a lot more gratifying. That and my main was a feral Druid, which I absolutely loved, but was always catching flak for it.

I do miss it from time to time though...

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    The CelestialThe Celestial Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I've been MMO-clean for a few years now. I played EQ from beta to 2003. That's like 5 years of my life I'm never seeing again. Granted, I had some good times hanging out with with friends in a virtual world, but I don't have that kind of time to dedicate to 1's and 0's anymore.

Games that have kept me off of MMO's include: Oblivion, Gothic 2+3, Fallout 1+2, Planescape: Torment, Arcanum: Steamworks and Magic, and just some good ol pen and paper D&D.

The Celestial on
    celbmb8.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Lly wrote:

Is it really still that much fun? I quit it now for sure. I'm clean since 4months now and I'm feeling much better with the time I got.
    When I need to rest my mind I play some Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, or listen to my Lovecraft audio books, or read a book myself or just meet my real friends XD

Celestial, you played Gothic3 oo? I'm impressed, never thought I would hear of it out of Germany.

[spoiler:573060095c]But sometimes it's still hard to forget the good time me and my friends at the very beginning *sniff* ^^'[/spoiler:573060095c]

Ape2001 on
  • Options
    The CelestialThe Celestial Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I downloaded Dark Messiah on Steam, but haven't bought it yet since I haven't heard that much good about it yet.

Gothic 3? Fuck yea man, that game is soo awesome. My first mistake was thinking it was like Oblivion...which it's not. Second, the learning curve is really high. There's no tutorial and the instruction manual doesn't have much and it's poorly translated from Germanese. I knew there was a good game in there though, so I persevered. It was well worth it.

The Celestial on
    celbmb8.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Hmm :? You played already through G3? In german forum people are raving because of the bugs ^^' For myself I'm waiting for the patch that makes everything a lot more playable (this is like a trademark to this series, unfortunately).
    I'm still so happy it got abroad *sniff* ^^

Because of the bugs in G3 I'm pretty surprised you didn't start with DM ^^'
    Okay, it's almost no RPG left in it but the battles and level design are awesome. And you can forge swords in it :P Like in it's predecessor Arx Fatalis which is one of the RPGs I'll never forget: Sneaking in the shadows, baking bread and long for the light of the outside world from under the earth that protects the whole AF world from being frozen because there's no sun anymore.

^^' That was some long sentence, sry.

And seriously get away from WoW if it steals your time Lly. It isn't worth it :?

Ape2001 on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I got tired of the emphasis of the game being on huge 40 man raids that take five or six hours to do, and the chances of getting new items were both slim and costly. It simply ceased to be fun. It became nothing but raids, raids, raids, and new uber leet gear for the sole purpose of showing off and pwning other players, who don't have uber leet gear, in the battle grounds.
    That is exactly why I quit. You had to play for literally hours on end to get anywhere... It was so pointless in the end, once the fun wore off... I realised I was addicted, like one would be to a drug.

I stopped playing just over a year ago, and am amazed that I simply put it away without ever touching it again. I usually get hooked on these kinds of games REALLY easily. It also happened to me with Diablo II.

This really sounds like an Alcoholic's Anonymous meeting... only for WoW :?

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Yay! I'm off to New York!!

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    What you're doing in NY ^^? Sightseeing and musicals?
    I got tired of the emphasis of the game being on huge 40 man raids that take five or six hours to do, and the chances of getting new items were both slim and costly. It simply ceased to be fun. It became nothing but raids, raids, raids, and new uber leet gear for the sole purpose of showing off and pwning other players, who don't have uber leet gear, in the battle grounds.
    That is exactly why I quit. You had to play for literally hours on end to get anywhere... It was so pointless in the end, once the fun wore off... I realised I was addicted, like one would be to a drug.

I stopped playing just over a year ago, and am amazed that I simply put it away without ever touching it again. I usually get hooked on these kinds of games REALLY easily. It also happened to me with Diablo II.

That's a word ^^! Friend of mine, who still played WoW until a month, said to me: You have some free time and somehow think "Hey, I could finish those quests I still have". Then you log in, join a random bunch of guys who need one hour to get to the instance, try to master hoards of adds, wipe, wipe again, wipe again and the finally just quit the program.
    Now you realize how much fun you had the last six hours...
    WoW became some kind of habit, like smoking :|

Ape2001 on
  • Options
    RedPearlRedPearl Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Ape2001 wrote:
    What you're doing in NY ^^? Sightseeing and musicals?

That's a word ^^! Friend of mine, who still played WoW until a month, said to me: You have some free time and somehow think "Hey, I could finish those quests I still have". Then you log in, join a random bunch of guys who need one hour to get to the instance, try to master hoards of adds, wipe, wipe again, wipe again and the finally just quit the program.
    Now you realize how much fun you had the last six hours...
    WoW became some kind of habit, like smoking :|

Just had to respond to this, as it resonates strongly with me as well. I'm also an ex-WoWee and I quit for exactly the same reasons, clean for over a month now and not seeing myself reinnstalling any time soon. What worries me though is that all of these concerns (40 man dungeons, 5 man instances becoming useless, random parties) are in some way or another being addressed in the expansion. I can't really see myself resisting the pressure that is BC once they release it. My only hope is that I manage to keep it casual with my 3-4 IRL friends who play so we can do some instancing together and have a fun time, without succumbing to the addiction.

Why does it feel like I'm about to take a shot of heroin and I'm saying to myself "only ONE more time..".

RedPearl on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    You have a goal in your life? Your friends, too? If so stop playing and use the time on stuff you could hold in your hands ^^'
    From my view now WoW is for people who have way too much free time and only play with their friends to minimize frustration of wiping.

When it comes to the AddOn, I had a hard time to resist buying the Collector's Edition just for the Artbook and the Soundtrack. But then I realized it's all going to be the same stuff than before, just in a new clothing.

Let's not forget Buckwolfe ^^' He's going to discover new rl-realms.

ADDIT: Someone watched that WoW Southpark episode? It sums everything up pretty good and you'll laugh your butt off ^^'

Ape2001 on
  • Options
    freekfreek Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Buckwolfe wrote:
    Yay! I'm off to New York!!

I got back late last night. I ended up walking around Central Park, found the Jewish Museum but they're not open on Friday (bastards), then walked some more around the Park. If I looked at the park measurements right, I walked 8 miles. My knees are sore today. Anyway, took some pictures. There were a lot of runners, as the New York city Marathon is going on.

nyc11306

freek on
This discussion has been closed.