As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Welcome to the World of Tomorrow!

AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin KoopantinoRegistered User regular
futuramadx5.gif

This thread is all about discussing and fantasizing about technologies of tomorrow. Let me get us started!

ONE TERABYTE THUMB DRIVES
Wired.com wrote:
Thanks to a new technique for manipulating charged copper particles at the molecular scale, researchers at Arizona State University say their memory is, bit-for-bit, one-tenth the cost of -- and 1,000 times as energy-efficient as -- flash memory, the predominant memory technology in iPhones and other mobile devices.

"A thumb drive using our memory could store a terabyte of information," says Michael Kozicki, director of ASU's Center for Applied Nanoionics, which developed the technology. "All the current limitations in portable electronic storage could go away. You could record video of every event in your life and store it."

I feel kindof silly for buying that 1GB thumb drive now. And my that 2GB SD card. Hey, with a 1TB thumb drive, game console manufacturers probably wouldn't need to include hard drives anymore, just stick a USB port on there and bam. Or I suppose they could build this super duper mega ultra omega solid memory into the console.

HOLOGRAPHIC VERSATILE DISC

Hvd_disc.jpg
Wikipedia wrote:
Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) is an optical disc technology which would hold up to 3.9 terabytes (TB) of information. It employs a technique known as collinear holography, whereby two lasers, one red and one green, are collimated in a single beam. The green laser reads data encoded as laser interference fringes from a holographic layer near the top of the disc while the red laser is used as the reference beam and to read servo information from a regular CD-style aluminium layer near the bottom. Servo information is used to monitor the position of the read head over the disc, similar to the head, track, and sector information on a conventional hard disk drive. On a CD or DVD this servo information is interspersed amongst the data.

These discs have the capacity to hold up to 3.9 terabytes (TB) of information, which is approximately 5,500 times the capacity of a CD-ROM, 830 times the capacity of a DVD, 160 times the capacity of single-layer Blu-ray Discs, and about 7 times the capacity of standard computer hard drives as of 2007. The HVD also has a transfer rate of 1 Gbit/s (128 MB/s).

I can't wait for this format to hit the market. It would crush the fuck out of Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, and save us from this format war bullshit. I really hope it gets some support soon! I mean, 3.9TB per disc? That's a shitload of HD content.

Surface-Conduction Electron-Emitter Display

toshiba_sed_tv.jpg
Wikipedia wrote:
A surface-conduction electron-emitter display (SED) is a flat panel display technology that uses surface conduction electron emitters for every individual display pixel. The surface conduction emitter emits electrons that excite a phosphor coating on the display panel, the same basic concept found in traditional cathode ray tube (CRT) televisions. This means that SEDs use tiny cathode ray tubes behind every single pixel (instead of one tube for the whole display) and can combine the slim form factor of LCDs and plasma displays with the superior viewing angles, contrast, black levels, color definition and pixel response time of CRTs.

* 100,000:1 Contrast Ratio.
* 20 micro seconds response time.
* Brightness of 450 cd/m2.[15]

SED is set to blow Plasma and LCD out of the water in terms of image clarity, contrast ratio, black levels... pretty much every measure you can figure. Me wants

ULTRA HIGH DEFINITION TELEVISION
The new format with a resolution of 7,680 × 4,320 pixels is four times as wide and four times as high (for a total of 16 times the pixel resolution at 33 million pixels) as existing HDTV, which has a maximum resolution of 1920 × 1080 pixels.

As no existing equipment could handle such as resolution, they had to make a custom built camera, storage and projection system using arrays of existing components in order test a prototype. To even store just 18 minutes of UHDV footage, they had used 16 HDTV recorders (likely a 4 x 4 array) with a capacity of 3.5 terabytes 3 minutes of footage was recorded from the custom made camera mounted to a vehicle and then driven about the streets. The footage was later projected on a 4 x 7 meter screen for public demonstration and the public were astonished. As the visual effect of the footage traveling down a road was so realistic, some viewers even experienced nausea as a side effect of seeing ultra realistic motion, but not physically feeling the motion. It's like the opposite of seasickness where you can feel movement, but cannot see it while in an enclosed section.

D: Images so realistic they make you barf? That is awesome. Maybe a little overboard, but still totally awesome.

WITRICITY (WIRELESS POWER)

_42317956_transmitting_power416.gif
BBC wrote:
US researchers have successfully tested an experimental system to deliver power to devices without the need for wires. The setup, reported in the journal Science, made a 60W light bulb glow from a distance of 2m (7ft). WiTricity, as it is called, exploits simple physics and could be adapted to charge other devices such as laptops.

The system exploits "resonance", a phenomenon that causes an object to vibrate when energy of a certain frequency is applied. When two objects have the same resonance they exchange energy strongly without having an effect on other surrounding objects. WiTricity exploits the resonance of low frequency electromagnetic waves. In the experiment both coils were made to resonate at 10Mhz, allowing them to couple and for "tails" of energy to flow between them. "With each cycle arriving, more pressure, or voltage in electrical terms, builds up in this coil," explained Professor Pendry. Over a number of cycles the voltage gathered until there was enough pressure, or energy, at the surface to flow into the light bulb.

This is probably the Holy Grail of futuristic technology. Imagine it, simply walking into your home would begin charging your cell phone or any other electronic devices you had with you. The power cord is the last to be cut until we can truly live without wires. Frickin' awesome.

Feel free to discuss these and other upcoming technologies, and if you REALLY want to, go ahead and post more future technologies following the general format I've presented here.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
AbsoluteZero on

• LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    VR headsets

LewieP on
  • Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wow. I had heard about those new holographic DVD-whatsits, but that other stuff is great. Can't wait for this stuff to (hopefully) get to market.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    And here I am all excited to find a 4GB flash drive on the street...

Local H Jay on
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Huh. Sorry. Didn't see it.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • OceaniaxOceaniax Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Very awesome thread. Makes me sad though, as I know we won't see most of these technologies within the grasp of regular, middle class consumers for decades. =(

Oceaniax on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Lucky Cynic on
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Waka Laka wrote: »

And I just accidentally bumped it. I clicked your link and started reading...kind of forgot it was a different thread. I hang my head in shame now but remain ever watchful for the star fish robot. D:

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    meatflower wrote: »

And I just accidentally bumped it. I clicked your link and started reading...kind of forgot it was a different thread. I hang my head in shame now but remain ever watchful for the star fish robot. D:

i'm pretty sure if you delete the post the thread will go back in the pages like it was

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • RocketlexRocketlex Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

BBC wrote:
    US researchers have successfully tested an experimental system to deliver power to devices without the need for wires. The setup, reported in the journal Science, made a 60W light bulb glow from a distance of 2m (7ft). WiTricity, as it is called, exploits simple physics and could be adapted to charge other devices such as laptops.

The system exploits "resonance", a phenomenon that causes an object to vibrate when energy of a certain frequency is applied. When two objects have the same resonance they exchange energy strongly without having an effect on other surrounding objects. WiTricity exploits the resonance of low frequency electromagnetic waves. In the experiment both coils were made to resonate at 10Mhz, allowing them to couple and for "tails" of energy to flow between them. "With each cycle arriving, more pressure, or voltage in electrical terms, builds up in this coil," explained Professor Pendry. Over a number of cycles the voltage gathered until there was enough pressure, or energy, at the surface to flow into the light bulb.

This is probably the Holy Grail of futuristic technology. Imagine it, simply walking into your home would begin charging your cell phone or any other electronic devices you had with you. The power cord is the last to be cut until we can truly live without wires. Frickin' awesome.

Yes, say goodbye to power cords and hello to cancer with WiTricity!

Seriously, wouldn't that be like living under powerlines x10?

Rocketlex on
    While you were asleep, your windows told me all your secrets.
  • LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    All my dicks. . .

Seriously, this thread makes me want to become a technofile. HVDs, SEDTVs, and WiTricity are making me piss my pants. I'm really looking forward to those.

Although. . .is WiTricity safe? Like, living in an area with active witricity wouldn't give you cancer or tumors or some shit? I guess people said the same thing about radio and wi-fi, but. . .still.

Lynx on
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I agree on the Wi-Electricity, it sounds like an awesome idea, but at the same time I can't help but see houses burning down and cancer defects or something out of the way that no one saw. We'll see. :P

Waka Laka on
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

God damn day ruiner. Neato.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    All of these things intrigue me, but I'm betting it will be a long time before any of them hit the mass market.

SirUltimos on
    edited October 2007
    Look at this! It's a computer that uses DNA instead of silicone based technologies.

mayaii-2143_web.jpg
    In 2002, researchers from the Weizmann Institute of Science in Rehovot, Israel, unveiled a programmable molecular computing machine composed of enzymes and DNA molecules instead of silicon microchips. The computer could perform 330 trillion operations per second, more than 100,000 times the speed of the fastest PC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAYA_II
    This technology was used to deepen the quality of diagnostics given to patients infected with the West Nile virus. Joanne Macdonald, a Columbia University virologist, hopes this device can be implanted in the human body and control the presence of cancer cells or the levels of insulin for diabetic patients.

a computer that fights cancer!

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    what would you possibly need a terabyte thumbdrive for? You'll use it for a month then have to upgrade to the 2 terabyte that comes out!

Minerva_SC on
    "If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
    edited October 2007
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    All of these things intrigue me, but I'm betting it will be a long time before any of them hit the mass market.

I dunno. HVD seems like it could hit the market place in the next five years. And it would murder any other storage formats out there (olol Blu-Ray / HD-DVD). Same goes for the UHD and SED TVs. WiTricity, I hope, has a lot of fucking testing before they market it. I'd rather have a gazillion wires then have my appliances cause cancer.

I was looking at Waka's thread. . .and some of that shit is creepy. Like the self-replicating robot and starfish robot. That's just. . .rise of the machines shit right there. The flying car and hydrogen car sound fucking awesome though. I want to be riding around in a flying, hydrogen powered car by the time I'm 40. So. . .2026ish.

Lynx on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man I thought this was a announcement for a Sky Captain game....

So what the deal with space travel in the near future guys? Thats what I care about. Fuck your hi res big tvs! Give me neural implants that let me live out my wildest dreams! Me fighting the Kraken on Mt. Rushmore with my sidekick Kim'cho the T-Rex ambassador from Spain's Industrial Kitchen plastics Quality assurance team.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    one day i will be able to use all those borne identity gadgets in real life

one day i will have my own command center

one day i will so kick your asses in halo 4

also, halo 4 OMG

Barcardi on
  • gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »
    more than 100,000 times the speed of the fastest PC.

:shock::!!:

:D :^:

gunwarrior on
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    SED has been dead in the water for a long time and will never make it to market

and

the actual "ultra" HDTV consumers might see next is all the 4K stuff

Deusfaux on
  • KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Reactions like these are the reason I became an engineer.

That, and the mad scratch.

Kreutz on
    edited October 2007
    Man I thought this was a announcement for a Sky Captain game....

So what the deal with space travel in the near future guys? Thats what I care about. Fuck your hi res big tvs! Give me neural implants that let me live out my wildest dreams! Me fighting the Kraken on Mt. Rushmore with my sidekick Kim'cho the T-Rex ambassador from Spain's Industrial Kitchen plastics Quality assurance team.

Last I heard was that NASA was shooting for a Mars landing by 2030. And we'd have a functioning Moon Base by 2018. Seeing as how we're retiring the Space Shuttle in just a couple of years and getting some brand spanking new space vehicles (I mean. . .the Space Shuttle is over 30 years old.), I'd say it's a real possibility.

As for neural implants. . .fuck no. FUCK. NO. I refuse to put computers in my head or my kid's head. The possibility of some hybrid Matrix/Terminator future is just too real for me to even consider doing something like that.
    SED has been dead in the water for a long time and will never make it to market

and

the actual "ultra" HDTV consumers might see next is all the 4K stuff

Well, that's disappointing. Still, there's got to be something beyond HDTV in the works.

Lynx on
    edited October 2007
    Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    LewieP on
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Does anyone remember Beyond 2000? I remember that it aired on the Discovery Channel in the 90s. It was the coolest show to watch as a kid, or at least I thought so. Movie Magic was pretty nifty as well. Anyhoo.

I remember they had one short piece about how there was canned air conditioning in development, so when you were in the car you could just give off a short shot of the stuff and it'd be cool for awhile.

I'm ever so pissed that that never made it to market.

Gim on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You guys know what would be fun. If all of a sudden, the entire world got sick of chrome for everything and bliss wallpapers on all screens and everything went to be steam operated, just for style.

I would kill, kill! to live in a steam punk universe.

edit: Also, lewie, that would turn all the first person shooting rampages IRL into Third person shooting rampages. Awesome!

Lucky Cynic on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I was talking to my friend about it yesterday...what happened to VR? We're so much more advanced than we were when VR was so interesting to us. Now I don't hear anything about it. The Wii is a good step forward, and we have very good 3d rendering technology, what's stopping us?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Look at this! It's a computer that uses DNA instead of silicone based technologies.

mayaii-2143_web.jpg
    In 2002, researchers from the Weizmann Institute of Science in Rehovot, Israel, unveiled a programmable molecular computing machine composed of enzymes and DNA molecules instead of silicon microchips. The computer could perform 330 trillion operations per second, more than 100,000 times the speed of the fastest PC.

This technology was used to deepen the quality of diagnostics given to patients infected with the West Nile virus. Joanne Macdonald, a Columbia University virologist, hopes this device can be implanted in the human body and control the presence of cancer cells or the levels of insulin for diabetic patients.

DNA computers do not impress me at all. Sure they're fast one you've set them up for an operation, but you need a specialized physical process to get them that way. I doubt that any computer that uses chemical reactions instead of electromagnetic ones will be useful any time soon.

jothki on
    edited October 2007
    I was talking to my friend about it yesterday...what happened to VR? We're so much more advanced than we were when VR was so interesting to us. Now I don't hear anything about it. The Wii is a good step forward, and we have very good 3d rendering technology, what's stopping us?

Do you really want the company behind the Virtual Boy to come out with another VR console?

Do you really want to pay for Microsoft's overpriced VR peripherals?

Do you really want Sony anywhere near VR?

Kreutz on
    edited October 2007

mayaii-2143_web.jpg

LOLOL "Cell" LOLOL!

Waka Laka on
    edited October 2007
    Do you really think Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony are the only companies capable of developing VR technology?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited October 2007
    Do you really think Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony are the only companies capable of developing VR technology?

Nope

Waka Laka on
    edited October 2007

Nope

I was talking to Kreutz, who made a stupid remark.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited October 2007

Nope

Riight...

still cool though.

Waka Laka on
  • SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I approve of this thread.

BTW title reminded me of this:
    conan.jpgIN THE YEAR 2000.....IN THE YEAR TWO THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANDDDDD

Smashism on
    edited October 2007

Nope

I don't know who you're calling stupid, but if you think anyone is going to bring VR to the mainstream before the big three do, you're being optimistic. Keep in mind, I'm not referring to the companies who supply the private sector with VR tech. There are hundreds of them. I'm talking about a mainstream VR solution, which no mom-n'-pop VR contractor has the resources to produce.

Kreutz on
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man, we should already have wireless electricity, if we'd only listened to Telsa! Also, we could have particle guns!

Anyway, I'd wondered if anyone had tried using DNA for computing, since it is really just another way of encoding information, except instead of just off and on there are many more "settings." It sounds like it's harder to work with, and would essentially force us to completely rethink all programming languages to get it to work efficiently, but I think there may be something there after quantum computing becomes too slow.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

BBC wrote:

Feel free to discuss these and other upcoming technologies, and if you REALLY want to, go ahead and post more future technologies following the general format I've presented here.
    Anyone here ever read Waldo, Inc.?
    Reminds me of why he wore that lead-lined trenchcoat...

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    vrhelmetimageshs4.jpg

virtualrealityhelmetdo2.jpg

Toshiba earned alot of geek rep in my eyes the day this thing was announced. :P

Bamelin on