As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What are you making? [Artsy farts and craftsy asses]

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Few more days of work, and we'll see if I can tune it!

lftuerwcssfr.jpg

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I wish I could awesome that three times.

That is a FINE looking fretboard there.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Thank you!

If it can be played, I'll be a happy camper!

• Options
    I've got my fingers crossed for you.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    WELL!

In a fit of crafting, I am done except stringing it! Which I hope to get my friend who is a guitar teacher to do sometime next week!

There are a few things I would have done differently, but on the whole, I'm satisfied.

Unless it doesn't play. In which case I can't get no satisfaction, was born under a bad sign, and if it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

6a5sv1xa923n.jpg

y8fmaee73xeu.jpg

wx9my98bqkky.jpg

even if it sounds like butt, this was a super fun project and one of only a few I've seen to the end!

edit:

wow, looking at it on a photo makes me realize that the head could have been shortened by about 3-4" and it would look way better

oh well! done is done! next time!

Xaquin on
  • Options
    aaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnddddddddddddddddddddddd DONE.

(ok, I'm probably going to lower the bridge, but maybe not .... I definitely need to add fret markers too)

but damned if it doesn't sound like a guitar!

gn8mbw0j6znw.jpg

x6ir7ucyzoyk.jpg

tuned up proper and sounding great!

and if I could play worth a damn, I'd make a video of it!

• Options
    Woo! Very nice work!

• Options
    I'm not going to lie, I got the hugest grin when every string got tuned properly and I could play it. Sounds great plugged in too!

The action is WAY too high and I never realized how much I use fret markers until they weren't there.

but it is a playable electric cigar box guitar and that was my goal!

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2015
    Xaquin

Xaquin

How do I get you to make me a 20th anniversary ...And Out Come The Wolves guitar

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    that would be pretty badass!

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I AGREE

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    So, this week we did cuttlefish casting. And while I do like the texture it gives the metal, I'm probably not going to be too keen on it in the future. I'm hearing that they're being overfished, and I'm pretty sure that pet stores and jewellers are mostly to blame for that (the casts are single use).

But anyway, on to the thing I made. I wasn't really going any particular design, mostly just a bulb on top of an open square. (Thumb tack for scale)

ozypo82di7cy.jpg

When it came out, I decided that with the sprue and part of the button (the little bit of overfill at the top), the thing that resulted looks a little like The Claw from toy story.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    I enjoyed making that guitar so much, I'm on to my next one. This one is going to be more traditional and will probably be a resonator. I'm also going to try to make it with as many free parts as possible (minus the hardware)

With that in mind, I went out to an old abandoned farm that has three or four crumbling barns and found the neck/head stock/thru body!

nyeu1qdvu8hh.jpg

I don't know what kind of wood this is, but it's harder than poplar so it should work fine! I'll have to do some serious sheering with my table saw too.

The grain should be beautiful

qrvfyknntag2.jpg

this is just too much fun =)

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    So, I'm looking at the latest Wymwood Gaming Kickstarter and they're offering beautiful marquetry boxes.

photo-original.jpg?v=1443266052&w=1024&h=768&fit=crop&auto=format&q=92&s=c1c0042e77e9eb5e4855d3ac62624f53

I'm definitely going to try my hand at that now. Anyone have any experience with this or able to suggest good wood veneer adhesives?

• Options
    Titebond worked for my fretboard

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    just wood glue, man. Wood glue and clamping/weighting is all you need.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    eIIDmR6.jpg

w4qxTn1.jpg

IT IS DONE

My wife is hella awesome

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Hoooooly wow, @Quid ('s wife)!

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    that is rad. you are rad @radroadkill

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    My attention span has gone to pot and not come back for months, and it's to the point where I'm so antsy and distractable that I always want to be doing something with my hands but can't manage anything complicated for more than about 20 seconds.

We got this nice coupon for Michael's in the mail a couple weeks back, so my husband decided to take me yarn shopping and I got a whole lot of yarn, all of which I probably needed like a hole in the head.

BUT. I currently have two projects going at once with that yarn, and one started at the same time with yarn I already had because I decided to make it about a day after we went. One is a knitted blanket made of super fuzzy soft pipsqueak yarn for my son, commissioned by my husband who I think really just liked the yarn and wanted an excuse to have it made. The one with yarn I had is a scarf I'm knitting for the receptionist at my therapist's office; the lobby is freezing and she really likes red, so I thought for the holidays I'd make her one. The last project is a blanket of crocheted granny squares that I have general ideas about, but haven't planned out and won't until I run out of yarn because it's just clouds in the sky. the thing they have in common is that they are all incredibly simple repeats that I barely need to look at and don't need to think about at all.

I haven't been able to sit through more than one [unit] of anything, where a unit of the scarf is 2-3 24-stitch rows, a unit of the knitted blanket is one very very long knitted row on circular needles, and a unit of the crocheted blanket is one square. So I have a chunk of time to craft because I'm not able to get anything else done, and what ends up happening is that I switch rapidly from one to the next. I'll do 2-3 scarf rows, get bored and put it down, pick up some yarn for the blanket and do a three-round square, then either go back to the scarf or do a row of the blanket, depending on how available I need to be. After a few attempts otherwise, I've just sort of accepted this as what's going to happen and plan for it at this point.

Progress on everything feels very slow because nothing significant on any one project gets done at a time, but I'm probably doing more actual crafting than I have in months.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I finished my rock island days and days ago but between the cold weather and car trouble I've had the sads so I've not had the drive to either start a new project or block the rock island.

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    AngiKateAngiKate Registered User regular
    Wow, a lot has gone on here while I've been busy preparing for my booth over the last few months. If you're in the Olympia, WA area, stop by and say hi!
    yif7gqa1tfcb.jpg

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Haven't been able to dig into anything big this week, but I must make!

Something for the Shadowrunner. Padauk and brass Quetzalcoatl.

7a7e455b-1f03-4d11-8447-8f97c120ca41_zpsvnabomji.jpg

Something for the ostentatious dwarf, I guess. Padauk ring with a polished carrara marble 'gem'.

8e71d49f-1681-42ed-ba2d-6d2f75e83246_zpsj4lbnam2.jpg

167d7d89-bb30-4d00-8273-8031c3c9a7d6_zpsshewn7ag.jpg

I have a padauk wood obsession, and I refuse to believe that's a bad thing.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i finally finished up a blanket that i was working on for my coworker.

now i really should try and focus on something for my own little one. But the thing is that I look at the patterns and ideas and I either get all analysis paralysis or I just think "but I'll never use that"

Which of course leads me to have anxiety over the fact that I've given other people presents and maybe they're just taking up space in closets or bins or soemthing and gahhhhh.

so difficult sometimes.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Just make a blanket. And make it bigger than you think is necessary. And then make little hand towels. Maybe as practice for a new style or whatnot. So you don't mind using it as human baby bodily liquid clean up device. :+1:

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    i was going to show off my hair/lipstick in the fashion thread, but i'm more vain in my crafting. boom!
    1446885084684-1621179618_medium.jpg
    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/capucine
    no, i don't know how to easily fix the rotation with this tablet.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    Thanks, everyone! I'm not clever enough to make patterns but I sure as hell can follow them!

• Options
    pooka wrote: »
    i was going to show off my hair/lipstick in the fashion thread, but i'm more vain in my crafting. boom!

Okay I require hatbraids.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Thanks, everyone! I'm not clever enough to make patterns but I sure as hell can follow them!

that's all that matters-- that's fuckin' incredible work, lady!
    pooka wrote: »

adorable-- and thanks for the pattern link, I have a yarn that would be perfect for this and have been wanting to do a thing like that, aaa

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    Making a new hat and I don't swatch

I've got the brim done and it's clear now that this is way too big for a hat

So I guess it's going to be a cowl now

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I don't swatch

DEAD TO ME

• Options
    Swatching sucks!

The project will tell you what it wants to be!

This one didn't want to be a hat!

• Options
    DSC_0061_edit_1447016152987.jpg

Fun with an old ball of Manos in my stash, and thinking about going back to the etsy life so taking some test photos.

• Options
    I love that your display head has a wig.

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    I love that your display head has a wig.
    In my house it's more like which wig, I have a few! It does make the volume of the hat look better so I may keep it that way for display.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Question for all you woodworking gals and guys out there:

I'm interested in getting started in woodworking, and am taking a class which starts next week. If I dig it, I want to stake out a corner of the basement as a small shop. Probably would mostly work with hand tools, to cut down on flying sawdust.

Any suggestions for workbench plans which can be built with minimal equipment (and at the moment, minimal skill)? I'm talking screwdriver, handsaw, coping saw, chisels and a jigsaw. I can probably do rough big cuts to size at the lumber yard/ home depot.

Ideally I'd have a way to attach some pegboard to the back of the bench, as the basement walls are stone and probably shouldn't have anything mounted do 'em.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    BAM!

Inexpensive work bench

This thing is SOLID and weighs a ton. Additional things you'll want is a bench vise and a stool. Make sure you have a couple feet of play since maneuvering this work bench is a chore.

That said, I love mine.

dt44et4x7msi.jpg

Xaquin on
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    You rocckkkkk, that's perfect!

This discussion has been closed.