As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

2016 Challenge Coin - Orders Closed.

• RILMSRILMS North BayRegistered User regular
    giantry wrote: »
    How about if it's the front cover like it's the cover of one of the choose you adventure books?

Hmmm...I can try...but I'm worried that the icons will be too small if we have a book cover on it. Maybe if there was one?

OtyHMcu.jpg
  • fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Sup guys, I can offer my edit of @SkeleVader's PS file for you to use if you like. Changes I made:
    • Added Miss Pac-Man's bow to it
    • Cut out one of the boarder circles so it's easier to quickly paste artwork into the background
    • Moved Pac-Man/Miss Pac-Man to separate layers so you can adjust for changed text length (or something, I know there was a reason I did it at the time :P)
    • Changed the Latin (obv you can change it back to the standard phrase)

I think I also centred the anchor point on some of the text to allow rotating it when it's length changes a bit easier or something.

Anyway, I'll be watching this thread for some tips to do our coin better next year. Good luck!

Hey! That would be awesome! Thank you :)

I've been using GIMP to edit images, but I am sure things can be worked around :)

OtyHMcu.jpg
    I had a thought. What if we put II next to PAX South as it is the second one?

OtyHMcu.jpg
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think that part of the coin should stay consistent with all the other coins that have been done thus far.

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I agree. And that's coming from someone that changed another part of our coin I probably shouldn't have!

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    The last coin that represented Handheld was at East 2013, so now wouldn't be the worst time to represent that imo.

zerzhul wrote: »
    I think that part of the coin should stay consistent with all the other coins that have been done thus far.

Ok, no worries :)
    I agree. And that's coming from someone that changed another part of our coin I probably shouldn't have!

lol, things are different down under though eh?
    zerzhul wrote: »

Oh yes, very familiar with that page :)
    The last coin that represented Handheld was at East 2013, so now wouldn't be the worst time to represent that imo.

That's a good point. Would you prefer a handheld design over the Make Your Selection that I've done?

OtyHMcu.jpg
  • krovekkrovek Registered User regular
    I dont like the bad side of the coin I didn't even know they had these coins if i had known i would have bought one this year and idk but the back just doesn't feel right

• Jake CappsJake Capps Patrick Space Force Base, FloridaRegistered User regular
    The back it looks a little too cluttered. What are we going to do in 2017? I bring it up because I think we should just pick one thing, and if we don't get around to it this year we will put it on the coin in subsequent years.

X4hAlPn.png

My Pinny Pal's Lanyard

"Players are artists who create their own reality within the game." - Shigeru Miyamoto
  • OpSteelOpSteel neighbor of the village pindiot Fort Worth TEXASRegistered User regular
    If we only go one, I would say go with tabletop since South is home to the Tabletop Indie Showcase.

Ok, any suggestions?

OtyHMcu.jpg
  • OpSteelOpSteel neighbor of the village pindiot Fort Worth TEXASRegistered User regular
    I wonder what something like this would look like with a colored back?

jk6xc8zreqch.jpg

I'm down with table top. The coin-op image they found for Prime was cool. I don't like color on coins that are the glossy enamel. I have a stack of the "other kind", and they look great. I'm sure whatever you do will be cool. I'm just voting...your doing all the hard work. Thanks for that.

X4hAlPn.png

My Pinny Pal's Lanyard

"Players are artists who create their own reality within the game." - Shigeru Miyamoto
    edited November 2015
    @Jake Capps: Thanks for the input!

@OpSteel

Something like this?

i2ztb4xv9804.png

RILMS on
    OtyHMcu.jpg
  • shimwoodshimwood Registered User regular
    I'd prefer to lose the color on the dice.

khd33hubozxv.png
    edited November 2015
    So, with dulled colours?

dhtbuxpjy1rg.png

or greyscale?

8uduq4ctqxat.png

RILMS on
    OtyHMcu.jpg
    The right side could also be engraved, like on all of the other PAX coins and the Alamo part just be the colour part

OtyHMcu.jpg
    RILMS wrote: »
    The right side could also be engraved, like on all of the other PAX coins and the Alamo part just be the colour part

This is what I would prefer, but I won't raise a fuss if everyone else wants color on both sides.

khd33hubozxv.png
  • Sammy.SamSammy.Sam Registered User regular
    I'm not a fan of using color for the challenge coins. I would prefer the usual coin, just engraved.

I think the Alamo would look super cool in colour on a coin. The other side, I am ok with either.

OtyHMcu.jpg
  • futilesfutiles Registered User regular
    I would prefer no color. I think the other challenge coins look nicer/classier being just the color of the coin throughout. But, I'll be getting one either way...

• DevereauxDevereaux Registered User regular
    I think the Alamo would look super cool in colour on a coin. The other side, I am ok with either.

I agree with RILMS...I think we should change it up a bit with color, at least on the Alamo side.

Check out my lanyard and let's trade ;)https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Devereaux
    Just sent RILMS the updated PSD templates, but here's some pngs in case anyone else wants to have a play around with them. Please double check spelling/dates:

5p0wHm5.png

sejUT1l.png

Met a lot of people handing these out at PAX AUS. Have fun guys!

pml698vev2oy.png

Alamo is a little smaller in this version. The photo was scaled down to 650x430

25hzqj82tcp3.png

The dice image was scaled up to 710 x 399

OtyHMcu.jpg
    Those look really good I think. :biggrin:

So what do we do now?

X4hAlPn.png

My Pinny Pal's Lanyard

edited November 2015
    Well, if we're pretty happy with the front and back. We need to decide the finish, edge and size.

Kindercorp offers these finishes:

Sandblasting Gold
    Gold
    Antique gold
    Silver
    Antique Silver
    Bronze
    Antique Bronze
    Antique Copper
    Copper
    Satin Nickel

Do we want a smooth edge or ribbed?

For sizes, they can do 1.5, 1.75, or 2 inches. Most PAX coins have been 1.75, except for Prime 2011.

@akidderz what do you think of all of this so far?

RILMS on
    OtyHMcu.jpg
    Yeah I don't want to steam roll my opinion. I just know you wanted to get started early. So maybe we should start some voting, and set a deadline. It will be 2016 before we know it. I think it looks really sharp.

X4hAlPn.png

My Pinny Pal's Lanyard

I could go for ribbed edge and antique bronze. I wonder if they'd sell the velveteen box separately...

khd33hubozxv.png
    I'd love to see some comparison pics of the different finishes if that was possible, @akidderz?
    Do we want a smooth edge or ribbed?

I believe they call that reeded (for her pleasure).

Jake Capps wrote: »
    Yeah I don't want to steam roll my opinion. I just know you wanted to get started early. So maybe we should start some voting, and set a deadline. It will be 2016 before we know it. I think it looks really sharp.

I wished we could do polls in the forum...I guess people would have to message me their votes?

I agree with @fishfishmonkeyhat, it would be nice to see some mock-ups.

OtyHMcu.jpg
    you can always create a google form

Forgot about that. Thanks!

I will look into it :)

OtyHMcu.jpg
    edited November 2015
    Ok, I have created a Google Form.

When looking at the finishes, please go to KidderCorp to see their examples.

Lets say people have until next Wednesday to vote. Sound good?

Thank you all!

RILMS on
    OtyHMcu.jpg
    You might want to eddit the thread subject with the vote, and deadline. Be sure to put the links in your first/top post if you do.

X4hAlPn.png

My Pinny Pal's Lanyard

Is there a computer program to see what the designs would look like engraved?

X4hAlPn.png

My Pinny Pal's Lanyard

• DevereauxDevereaux Registered User regular
    Vote submitted.

Check out my lanyard and let's trade ;)https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Devereaux
    edited November 2015
    Jake Capps wrote: »
    Is there a computer program to see what the designs would look like engraved?

Maybe something like this....keep in mind, I barely know what I am doing, lol.

erbdjvv7un4r.png

RILMS on
    OtyHMcu.jpg