As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallout 4] 2 Fast 2 Furious

• MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    But we're pretty much guaranteed to get mods that make difficulty overhauls anyway. And a ton of "realism" mods.

I actually liked adding a handful of those to Skyrim, living off the land.

After spending so many replays of New Vegas with various combat overhaul and damage realism mods over the years, my replay a few weeks ago with no combat overhaul mods was fairly novel.

• EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    So is it not a global release at the same time?

No, it's midnight local time. So New Zealand gets it first, as its Tuesday first there.

North America may work differently, if on of its timezones is the 'real' launch time.

I'm in the UK so if I trick my PC into thinking it lives in New Zealand, I can play 12 hours earlier.

Mind you, I won't be home from work until 7pm at the earliest, or later if I do some shopping to stock up of food for the next 72 hours.

Mental note - buy fruit, not just beer and pizza...

I assume by a VPN...does that trick steam? I thought your actual location was saved and could only be changed every few months...maybe that's a different service for games, there's quite a few.

It redirects your IP via the country in question, so your PC tells steam your computer is physically in that country, hence local Steam.

Using this to buy cheap games is a bannable offence, but not to unlock games you've already bought locally.

I have heard that this CAN be a bannable offence, but they haven't banned anyone for it yet. Are people gonna do this? When's the earliest you can? I obviously want to play asap but don't want to lose my Steam account.

Blarg you've got me paranoid now...I don't see why they would given people travel and can unlock, especially given how many copy's are already out and people are playing them....but still.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

No, it's midnight local time. So New Zealand gets it first, as its Tuesday first there.

North America may work differently, if on of its timezones is the 'real' launch time.

I'm in the UK so if I trick my PC into thinking it lives in New Zealand, I can play 12 hours earlier.

Mind you, I won't be home from work until 7pm at the earliest, or later if I do some shopping to stock up of food for the next 72 hours.

I assume by a VPN...does that trick steam? I thought your actual location was saved and could only be changed every few months...maybe that's a different service for games, there's quite a few.

It redirects your IP via the country in question, so your PC tells steam your computer is physically in that country, hence local Steam.

Using this to buy cheap games is a bannable offence, but not to unlock games you've already bought locally.

I have heard that this CAN be a bannable offence, but they haven't banned anyone for it yet. Are people gonna do this? When's the earliest you can? I obviously want to play asap but don't want to lose my Steam account.
    Blarg you've got me paranoid now...I don't see why they would given people travel and can unlock, especially given how many copy's are already out and people are playing them....but still.
    The Steam EULA says no proxy/vpn usage to get around geographic restrictions. People are actively banned for doing it to get around pricing restrictions. You may get banned for using it to get around "content" or "any other" restrictions. I assume it's up to the publisher.

I've never heard of anyone getting banned for early unlock. I did it with... Skyrim, I want to say, as well as some Origin game. But you do so at your own risk.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Hmm. Was about to pull the trigger on a GPU/CPU upgrade (960/i7 from 770/i3) and thought - nah. We're this close to launch, and Monday is busy anyway. Plus I'd like to see what range of computers are able to crank Fallout 4 at 60FPS.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

I've done it a few times now. Most companies have switched to a set worldwide unlock, so it does work in most cases. Since Bethesda has not, I'll be playing in 24hrs.

Cabezone on
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I've heard that the retail-disc still needs 20 GB downloaded. What's even the point?

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    PLA wrote: »
    I've heard that the retail-disc still needs 20 GB downloaded. What's even the point?

I got the New Vegas collectors edition, physical item

It was just a code to download the game.

Buttcleft on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Buttcleft wrote: »

I got the New Vegas collectors edition, physical item

It was just a code to download the game.

MGS5 did that too.

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Beltaine wrote: »
    1 more sleep!

You know what? I didn't think about that, and now I'm aware. Thank you for that! *broad grin of joyful anticipation*

P.S. Why hasn't the PSN preload started yet dammit?

BranniganSepp on

That to me was nuts. Perhaps they didn't want to put a good majority of the game files on the disc for. . ."no spoilers" reasons? I dunno. It seems like a weird way of doing things - just put it all online.

That's also a reason I'll hold off on PC. With data-caps, this game will cost an extra 10 bucks or so. Google Fiber can't finish here soon enough.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Song spoiler
    Rocket 69 seems to be the new Butcher Pete in so far as it's a, "I can't believe how filthy this song is for its era" category.

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »

That to me was nuts. Perhaps they didn't want to put a good majority of the game files on the disc for. . ."no spoilers" reasons? I dunno. It seems like a weird way of doing things - just put it all online.

That's also a reason I'll hold off on PC. With data-caps, this game will cost an extra 10 bucks or so. Google Fiber can't finish here soon enough.

They said it was for anti-piracy reasons, to stop it being pirated before release.

So people will have to wait until launch day to pirate it.

Really sucks for the people with download caps.

• OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I mean in regards to 'realism' mods for gunplay I'll definitely being doing what I did for New Vegas. There is a global value for damage and health modification, so I'll set all damage to be doubled and remove health benefits on level up.

Hell, I could just remove scaling health with level and call it a day. No more health level bloat. You can make it cut both ways, so neither you or enemies get additional health with every level.

I shit on gamebyro an absolute ton but the fact these fields are global values I can change with a text field is amazing.

OpposingFarce on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Kadoken wrote: »
    This guy is getting his shit pushed in on Hard Mode. I wish they had found a better solution to Hard Mode beyond damage modifiers though.

I wish they had a STALKER/Metro 2033 Ranger Mode.

High lethality, low hp for everyone including you. NPCs do appear to take cover from a stream I was watching

Yeah, I liked how Stalker did it - damage modifiers for difficulty level works both ways.

The difficulty settings for the STALKER games are pretty weird. The lower the difficulty, the more bullets that don't "count"; there's a certain percentage of bullets fired in the game that simply deal no damage on impact. It actually works against the player because it means stuff like headshots can be completely disregarded by the difficulty setting; problematic, considering headshots are the best way of getting through armor in later parts of the different games where enemies frequently wear things like highly-armored exosuits.

It's only at the Master difficulty setting that all bullets count as "real" for both sides all the time, and thus your shots become 100% reliable. It's sort of screwy.

edited November 2015
    jdarksun wrote: »

The Steam EULA says no proxy/vpn usage to get around geographic restrictions. People are actively banned for doing it to get around pricing restrictions. You may get banned for using it to get around "content" or "any other" restrictions. I assume it's up to the publisher.

I've never heard of anyone getting banned for early unlock. I did it with... Skyrim, I want to say, as well as some Origin game. But you do so at your own risk.

If it's in the EULA I probably wont risk it over a 12 hour boost...just takes one guy in a bad mood to enforce it.

Mind you it is really tempting for FO4.

Planning on my usual stealthy charisma character...but that customisable power armor is very tantalizing too.

EnclaveofGnomes on
  • MrBeensMrBeens Registered User regular

Most Steam game retail boxes are like that these days - a key in a box.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    If anyone wants to make a new OP, go for it. Otherwise I can make one later.

what happened to my old op with mod suggestions and shit

So during the game install:
    plays the SPECIAL videos.
    Funny.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I'm definitely holding out on this. I've seen a lot of videos where the game was just chugging, in a empty hallway, on the PS4.

• ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Is this 9PM PST launch time a global simultaneous release or is that just for the Americas region?

I remember VPNing into Australia to trick steam into releasing Skyrim for me 7 hours early, would prefer to not need to do shenanigans this time.

Scosglen on
    edited November 2015
    I'm definitely holding out on this. I've seen a lot of videos where the game was just chugging, in a empty hallway, on the PS4.

Direct capture or streams? I have seen direct capture footage that didn't hitch once. Streams are an entirely different story. This is a PS4 stream with pretty great quality; currently in the intro area (i.e. pre-bombs).
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Is this 9PM PST launch time a global simultaneous release or is that just for the Americas region?

I remember VPNing into Australia to trick steam into releasing Skyrim for me 7 hours early, would prefer to not need to do shenanigans this time.

9PM is for America. Here are release times for all regions US actually get's it last (well on the same day last. . .poor Nihonjins. . .) -

ED! on

Digitally the game [Fallout 4] will become available on November 10, 2015, at 12:01 am (local time) in all territories (In North America, the unlock time will be 12:01 am EST), except Asia (available at 12 am on Wednesday, November 11th) and Japan (available at 12 am on Thursday, December 17th),

• OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    It feels lame that the game is effectively done and ready to play, but we still have to wait. Its the problem with pre-loading - you can actually see the game is ready. Sure, it is an amazing feature, but still.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular

Direct capture or streams? I have seen direct capture footage that didn't hitch once. Streams are an entirely different story.

9PM is for America. Here are release times for all regions US actually get's it last (well on the same day last. . .poor Nihonjins. . .) -

Direct capture

https://youtu.be/aPAH3bFx3VE

https://vid.me/5xBk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6XyEV2FAGg

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    For those watching the streams, how does the PS4 version look?

I watched a few ps4 streams. Things looked good.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    It feels lame that the game is effectively done and ready to play, but we still have to wait. Its the problem with pre-loading - you can actually see the game is ready. Sure, it is an amazing feature, but still.
    Hopefully one day it'll be done away with and digital consumers can just play it when it goes gold.

Seems like thats where we would/should be heading. A man can dream, right?

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    The hallway navigation didn't look that bad to me, I probably would have only noticed it because someone pointed it out. The scoped frame drop is definitely unfortunate though, and hopefully will be addressed in a patch (IF it is a persistent issue).

Still, I've been watching a good number of streams (with people in and out of scopes) and that is the first time I've seen that.

edited November 2015

Hopefully I don't end up being the first person banned for unlocking early.

I gotta do it though. I need my fix.

Dr. Chaos on
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Hopefully one day it'll be done away with and digital consumers can just play it when it goes gold.

Not as long as retail chains like GameStop mainly push physical copies.

What's particularly galling is how often they break that trust and just start releasing copy's early.

I've got to assume publishers are getting mighty sick of cutting retailers in on the profit.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

215509631_GTT2K-1050x10000.jpg

Bah. Stupid dinosaur corporations holding back progress.

If the street dates been broken so profoundly, a decent company would just go fuck it and unlock everyones so everyone gets a fair shot.

If the street dates been broken so profoundly, a decent company would just go fuck it and unlock everyones so everyone gets a fair shot.

Yea. I've never understood this insanely rigid reliance on street data a lot of places have. Especially now. Germany has said "fuck off. . ." and allowed their citizens to get in that sweet weekend gameplay. But nope, Bethesda put's its fingers in it's ears and sends out their attack dog Pete "Pittbull" Hines on Twitter to let everyone know how disappointed in them he is.

I mean right now there are damn near 200 streamers on the PS4. You're fucking game is out. Stop pretending otherwise. I mean sites have been a minefield the last couple of days because Bethesda is holding on to this insane idea that the world needs to "wait". Bah.

Can't complain that much I guess. I remember when the game was 36 days from release. 36 hours seems like nothing (and then I'll talk about how 36 minutes seems like nothing at 1124PM tomorrow).

Yea. I've never understood this insanely rigid reliance on street data a lot of places have. Especially now. Germany has said "fuck off. . ." and allowed their citizens to get in that sweet weekend gameplay. But nope, Bethesda put's its fingers in it's ears and sends out their attack dog Pete "Pittbull" Hines on Twitter to let everyone know how disappointed in them he is.

I mean right now there are damn near 200 streamers on the PS4. You're fucking game is out. Stop pretending otherwise. I mean sites have been a minefield the last couple of days because Bethesda is holding on to this insane idea that the world needs to "wait". Bah.

Can't complain that much I guess. I remember when the game was 36 days from release. 36 hours seems like nothing (and then I'll talk about how 36 minutes seems like nothing at 1124PM tomorrow).

I kinda wish the damn game didn't have a preload, cause I'd cancel my preorder on principle against this stupid bullshit.

its why I hate preordering in the first place, stupid GMG and its massive discount bullshit

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    It sucks but on the bright side it beats buying video games 20 years ago.

Quid wrote: »
    It sucks but on the bright side it beats buying video games 20 years ago.

not really.

20 years ago you had the bliss of getting a physical product, that you'll have forever, not dependant on some account or service, and you got the smell and the feel of the manual and the tactile bliss.

This discussion has been closed.