As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Assassin's Creed] Syndicate is out and is apparently pretty damn good

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Still livid about the way Robespierre was treated in Unity.

Syndicate is easily one of thebest AC games, right up there with 2 and Black Flag.

In what way? I don't know how they treated him because I never bought the game.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Downloaded that companion app thing for Unity. Seems kind of neat.

Seeing spears and all sorts of other weapons in the gear section. Which is awesome, I really don't like the swords in these games and I missed the variety.

(like Connor's awesome tomahawk)

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I'm gonna do it, man.

I'm going to be the first person through sheer willpower to stare into the abyss and enjoy this one.

*psyches self up*

I've still not finished it, but I don't actually recall it being outright awful. It's certainly not good, but it's not exactly bad. It's idling at 0.

It is exactly 'whelming'.
    I'm mostly just worried about the english accents standing in for proper french ones grating on me and taking me out of the setting quickly.

Just thinking about it annoys the hell out of me.

When I first started playing, I thought that it was to demonstrate the characters of the NPCs to people unfamiliar with the distinctions in French accents

But then when Napoleon was all "I say what what pip pip old boy" as opposed to "Ooo arr moi luvverrr 'ow abowt this revolootion eh" I realised that they just didn't care

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I did the "change language to match setting and put on subtitles" for Unity. It was a lot better in French.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I did the "change language to match setting and put on subtitles" for Unity. It was a lot better in French.

The problem with that solution was that there are a ton of verbal cues that you need to understand but aren't subtitled. After awhile, I figured out which barks meant "I'm going to shoot the fuck out of you" in French, but there was a learning curve.

As for the characterization of French figures, I thought the little general was fine but some of the portrayals of other figures from the Revolution made me wonder if the designers had bothered doing any research on them. As it was in a lot of other ways, Unity was the most ham-handed in the series when it came to shoving real historical personages into the setting.

• LawndartLawndart Registered User regular

I mainly played Unity to amuse a native French friend of mine, who spent most of the time gawping at the screen and saying things like "I think I had lunch at a cafe on that corner."

I turned on the French dialogue options, hoping it would sound at least more authentic than the English version, but after the first French-language cutscene she pleaded with me to switch it back to English because the French dub and voice acting was, at least according to her, unbearably terrible.

The French-language incidental dialogue, though, is apparently realistic. And apparently involves a lot of random NPCs commenting on how agile yet crazy and rude Arno is.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote: »

I mainly played Unity to amuse a native French friend of mine, who spent most of the time gawping at the screen and saying things like "I think I had lunch at a cafe on that corner."

I turned on the French dialogue options, hoping it would sound at least more authentic than the English version, but after the first French-language cutscene she pleaded with me to switch it back to English because the French dub and voice acting was, at least according to her, unbearably terrible.

The French-language incidental dialogue, though, is apparently realistic. And apparently involves a lot of random NPCs commenting on how agile yet crazy and rude Arno is.

He's going to hurt himself... and I'm not going to help him.

Except in French

edited October 2015
    Finally Started Unity.
    They teased that amazing Eden sword earlier in the series, pretty awesome to finally actually see it in action. It's even got a Master Sword beam shot thing going on.

Do want.

Dr. Chaos on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So to prepare for the PC Syndicate release I finally finished Unity, after drifting away from it around January.
    Maybe because of this I can't remember the plot, but I came back with something like four main missions left to do.
    From context, I guessed Arno left/got kicked out of the Assassins, Elise had the same thing happen with the Templars, so they teamed up to kill the Templars who kicked her out?
    First mission back was terrible, mainly thanks to me forgetting the controls and how to stealth/fight/not get shot to pieces. It got better after that as I got my bearings again. I still forgot why that guy was important, but apparently hiding his bones in a crypt behind 40 minutes of credits meant there was nothing the Templars could use, so the entire modern day stuff achieved exactly nothing. I actually miss the last second WTF twists from the modern day.

I think Unity's probably my least favourite combat in all the AC games, though. The general fighting wouldn't be too bad if they didn't have shooters, as I couldn't find any 'smooth' way of countering them that didn't break the flow of combat. At its best in AC you can become an unstoppable death machine, with no wasted movement in killing people. Stab that guy, combo onto his friend, break off to counter the guy coming at you from behind, roll out of the way of the axe, grab human shield, etc.
    Whereas in this I constantly had to roll out of combat to not get shot, or drop smoke bombs which broke me out of combat.

I've been avoiding most of Syndicate's stuff, but I got the feeling there was more of an Arkham combat thing going on?

Since I got it for free, would the Dead Kings DLC stuff be worth checking out (fun gameplay or interesting story)?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    edited October 2015
    The color of everything in Unity seems a lil washed out compared to older games. Coming off from Rogue to this, seems noticeable but might just be my settings.

Doesn't seem like you can counter kill everything anymore which is kind of a shame, that was always fun for a laugh. The flow of combat and getting around seems abit slower aside from being able to free climb down walls now which is nice.

Dr. Chaos on
  • KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    Playing the first mission of Syndicate after coming off MGSV and Arkham Knight. It feels weird to murder people right in front of a bunch of NPCs and it doesn't seem to matter.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    Playing the first mission of Syndicate after coming off MGSV and Arkham Knight. It feels weird to murder people right in front of a bunch of NPCs and it doesn't seem to matter.

Victorian London, mate.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Kriegaffe wrote: »

Victorian London, mate.

haha really though, half the street would have fainted

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited November 2015
    I wish there was a mission where you would murder the entire list of characters from Dorian Gray (except Basil)

Fuck the loathsome characters in that book.

Kadoken on
  • CleveraliasCleveralias Registered User regular
    Possible Victory Spoiler about mission progression.
    After winning your first gang war you are given the option to skip ahead to Sequence 8 - I'm a sidequest first kind of guy so skipping ahead to a sequence just seems wrong. But knowing Ubisoft it wouldn't surprise me if they stuck a major gameplay mechanic unlock behind a poorly explained detour. I'm on sequence 5 now and have completely taken over the city and am at level 10 - am I missing anything by taking the slow route or can Jacob just ignore the letter he gets from crime boss guy until finishing sequences 5,6 and 7

jpg.jpg
    XBox360/One/Steam - Cleveralias
    PSN - The_Vandingo
  • AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    So does Syndicate do anything in terms of the modern day plot line, if any? Some of us did rather like that side of the games...

• SproutSprout Registered User regular
    It's more understated, but it's there. Mostly through collectibles and the SOOPER SEKRET area.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Akilae wrote: »
    So does Syndicate do anything in terms of the modern day plot line, if any? Some of us did rather like that side of the games...

Boy does it!

There's a pretty big revelation in one of the data logs that you get through finding helix glitches

Also just some general filling in of backstory on the First Civilization stuff

Really loving the return of weapon variety in Unity. These spears kick ass.

My assassin sticks out like a sore thumb but they've pretty much been doing that since the days of Ezio. Might aswell be as fashionable and badass as possible while I'm at it.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    My girlfriend and I hung out with her sister & brother-in-law this weekend and they gave me a copy of this for PS4 as a late birthday present.

Saves me $60!

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • AnarchyAnarchy Registered User regular
    After completing MGS, I've finally decided to go back and play Unity again. Boy have aI missed this series. Will hopefully get Syndicate once I complete it. Any idea is the season pass content for Unity is still free (and more importantly, any good)?

"Oh, well, this would be one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence."
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    It's quite good going into Unity expecting it to be dire and horrible, because I'm enjoying it reasonably well. Yes, it's repetitive and the plot is a mess, but I like the moment-to-moment writing and I love the game's recreation of 18th century Paris.

Also, having just been in London for a week, I'm curious about how Syndicate's version compares; I greatly enjoyed playing Brotherhood after a holiday in Rome.

Finally, my wife and me are currently watching the '80s miniseries Shogun, and its plot, politics (the conniving Jesuits are so much like the Templars) and scenes with ninjas very much put me in mind of Assassin's Creed.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    edited November 2015
    Still playing it and I have no idea what the hell is going on in Unity.
    Arno's foster dad dies who apparently was a templar so Arno decides to join his worst enemies (whose entire mission is to destroy templars) to avenge him by killing other templars. What? He's going to honor his memory by exterminating his order? What the fuck?

Also everybody seems to just inexplicably and casually know who the templars and assassins are for some reason.

Dr. Chaos on
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I wasn't even mad about the nonsensical personal plot in Unity, I was angry about the complete and total waste of the French Revolution setting.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
    edited November 2015
    I wasn't even mad about the nonsensical personal plot in Unity, I was angry about the complete and total waste of the French Revolution setting.
    Theres a fix for that.

Assassin's Creed Rogue II. Come onnn, Ubisoft.

Dr. Chaos on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Arno's foster dad dies who apparently was a templar so Arno decides to join his worst enemies (whose entire mission is to destroy templars) to avenge him by killing other templars. What? He's going to honor his memory by exterminating his order? What the fuck?

Also everybody seems to just inexplicably and casually know who the templars and assassins are for some reason.
    It's less honouring his memory and more straight-up revenge. Arno's real dad was an Assassin killed by the Templars, and his foster dad was a Templar who was on peaceful terms with the Assassins, also killed by the Templars. Joining or helping the Templars at this point wouldn't be the obvious choice.

Just got the grapnel/harpoon/I have no idea what they call it in this game in Syndicate. Enjoying it more than Unity, but the combat is feeling kind of annoying sometimes. Most of the time I get a clear warning that they're about to attack so I can counter, but sometimes I'm whaling on a guy and he hits back with no chance for me to counter him.
    What's the difference between the different weapons/weapon stats? Stun, Lethality and whatever the other thing was?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I grabbed Syndicate on a whim (and a good price cut for the PC version) after being disappointed with Unity.
    Only have played until getting to London, but so far it is feeling MUCH better. I can't even put my finger on why, but I'm optimistic about the rest of the game. I really enjoyed those first missions.

vamen on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Best things about Syndicate when held up against other recent AC games:
    • No icon vomit when you open your map
    • No companion app
    • No multiplayer
    • Few tailing and/or eavesdropping missions
    • Minimal future storyline crap

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Actually, it feels like Syndicate has more future stuff than Black Flag or Unity as far as pushing the story forward goes.

edited November 2015
    klemming wrote: »

It's less honouring his memory and more straight-up revenge. Arno's real dad was an Assassin killed by the Templars, and his foster dad was a Templar who was on peaceful terms with the Assassins, also killed by the Templars. Joining or helping the Templars at this point wouldn't be the obvious choice.

Just got the grapnel/harpoon/I have no idea what they call it in this game in Syndicate. Enjoying it more than Unity, but the combat is feeling kind of annoying sometimes. Most of the time I get a clear warning that they're about to attack so I can counter, but sometimes I'm whaling on a guy and he hits back with no chance for me to counter him.
    What's the difference between the different weapons/weapon stats? Stun, Lethality and whatever the other thing was?
    Has Arno always known about the templars and assassins?

I had assumed he had no idea but it doesn't seem really clear with how quick he seems to get into the thick of things after his foster father died with not a lot of questions asked.

Dr. Chaos on
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Best things about Syndicate when held up against other recent AC games:
    • No icon vomit when you open your map
    • No companion app
    • No multiplayer
    • Few tailing and/or eavesdropping missions
    • Minimal future storyline crap

I'm one of the people who actually likes the future storyline stuff. Though at this point I've totally lost track of what is going on.

I'm glad there are less tailing missions. Those are fun in theory, but never in execution. And I've not even opened the map yet but I'm glad to hear it's less crazy!

I actually really like the sneak toggle button. Besides it look just stylish to throw your hood over your head, it's nice to not have to keep a button held down.

The lack of present day stuff is actually my least favorite part of Unity.

Really bummed the series hasn't picked up a new protagonist to tie everything together like they did with Desmond. I was fine with just having the first person stuff though too so kind of sad they just seemed to have almost cut it all out together.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    The multiplayer from Brotherhood through Black Flag was unique and fantastic. I wish they'd release a standalone version of that or something.

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I enjoyed what they did with the present-day story in Black Flag. I wish they'd continued in that vein - not necessarily with that character, but giving it more importance in the game, and breaking the fourth wall and having less of a clear delineation between what's going on in the past and in the present.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    edited November 2015
    I'm enjoying Unity more than I would have expected to.

It's a pretty solid AC game and Arno is a pretty likable smartass, just not the next step the series needed I think. Black Flag's sailing and ship combat did a great job of shaking things up and giving more gameplay variety which was needed as each installment gets bigger and bigger.

Not sure if I'm on board with some of the changes to make the game more difficult either. Stealth feels abit more awkward than usual and combat more sluggish.

Previous games being so laughably easy with the ridiculous number of overpowered tools you had at your disposal was always part of the charm to me. Particularly taking all 15 of your berserk darts and unloading them into everybody in a fort as you sit back and calmly watch the entire place rip itself apart. Basically a hooded jerk with a giant magnifying glass melting helpless ants.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    The multiplayer from Brotherhood through Black Flag was unique and fantastic. I wish they'd release a standalone version of that or something.

Although now when you try to go back to it everybody's using poison and the hack upgrade which are fucking douchebag tactics

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular

Although now when you try to go back to it everybody's using poison and the hack upgrade which are fucking douchebag tactics

I kind of wish there were modes with predetermined loadout options.

That said, I abused the hell out of smoke bomb and mute in Brotherhood/Revelations. So broken.

Oh they were great and I agree they should get a standalone version. I just don't want them in AC proper.

Of course I'm one of those weirdos that was particularly fond of how nicely focused AC1 was, which is probably why I like Unity and Syndicate so much. 2 - 4 did a really shit job of selling the assassin vibe.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Actually, it feels like Syndicate has more future stuff than Black Flag or Unity as far as pushing the story forward goes.

Unity had any future stuff? (Seriously, I can't remember anything other than Rebecca saying a few lines for the alt-time climbing segments)

steam_sig.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Naw it didn't really.