As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Release: May 24th / Animated shorts coming this Spring!

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you put down a teleporter as Symmetra, then change heroes, does the tele stay?

i'm not in beta and haven't watched a single symmetra video and i can tell you right now the answer is no, because otherwise the strategy would be "have a dude start as symmetra, set up a good tele, then die immediately to be someone else"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    yeah that would be way too op

• Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    it seems like the variety is able to break up the stalemates i would often encounter in tf2.

being able to switch character classes on the fly is also interesting. wonder if they will add a no swap mode where your locked into your character?

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I do feel like the UI needs a good bit more polishing

which I mean, it's still the closed beta, so there's time for that

But yeesh this game gets visually busy enough as it is, a cluttered AI makes it even worse

Especially Mercy's UI is terrible.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    wooow I just watched Seagull attacking as Pharah, float under the map in King's Row at the last checkpoint to backstab the enemy team

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Just tested it in game, if you switch from Symmetra with a teleporter up the teleporter disappears

• Options
    wooow I just watched Seagull attacking as Pharah, float under the map in King's Row at the last checkpoint to backstab the enemy team

? can you describe this a little more?

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I remember Star trying to see if you could lay down armor drops as Torbjorn then changing classes to see if it stuck and it does not; the buff goes away from players that have it and the item drop despawns from the map.

488W936.png
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    So It Goes wrote: »

At King's Row, near the end, there's like a cylindrical room connected with bridges to the road, which wraps around it on 3 sides. You can fall down next to the room and you'd fall off the map, but last week, he was trying to see if he could float under it and back up as Pharah. (Answer was yes.)

hippofant on
  • Options
    jeeeez seagull is playing a private match between 12 folks who all know what they're doing

this game is craaazy

fun to watch too

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

http://www.twitch.tv/a_seagull/v/24715682
    10:25 ish

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    sarukun wrote: »
    It feels faster paced and much more frantic than TF 2 to me. Turrets are nowhere near as irritating to clear, but can still really hold a point. The ability kits feel so, so good.

Haven't played the beta but from the videos, yeah, this is exactly what I'm seeing. The combat is more frenzied, but it also seems quite a lot more varied than people just shooting each other in various wayy like TF2 tends to be (not a criticism, I'm just saying that TF2 boils down heavily to the shooting over everything else). Seems like everything is moving faster and choke points don't end up as meatgrinders so much, simply because there are so many characters that can either push with shields of some kind or just circumvent bottlenecks completely in some way.

The game obviously draws a lot of inspiration from TF2, but it looks like it also has some genuine improvements over it thanks to all the different characters and abilities. I know of at least four different characters I'm very interested in playing and I have no idea what their specific "roles" might be, I just think they just look loads of fun to play in extremely different ways.

That sort of depends on how well the attacking and defending teams play together. I've held some chokes like a brick wall with teams that coordinated well, and I've gotten mown down by teams that pushed as a team. It can be powerfully frustrating to play as a tank and have your team running around getting picked off rather than standing behind your shield doing the picking. One of the problems with the "tank" classes is how little they can do on their own against a group. The closest you've got to sneaking behind a team and mowing them down TF2 Heavy-style as a tank is probably Roadhog's ultimate. Soldier 76 fills that role better. One thing I really love is Reinhardt can completely shut down Snipers with his shield. It is profoundly satisfying to just walk steady forward while sniper shots plink harmlessly against your shield, whereas in TF2 that would just be a corridor you might never get through.

Edit: I played a LOT of this over the weekend, and I have to say that compared to F2P TF2, I feel like it is a lot harder to single-handedly do much of anything. If your team can't work well together, you lose. You can still make game-winning plays and matches can hinge on individual moments, but I feel like in TF2 I can run around and pub-stomp and be THE reason we pushed payload, delivered australium, or capped a point, whereas in this game, there's just no way to be that guy. the other teams has to be totally disorganized to even come close to that.

sarukun on
  • Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular

http://www.twitch.tv/a_seagull/v/24715682
    10:25 ish

That shortcut is also possible with Winston.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e6_GGTRkgQ

Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • Options
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    I can see the cheesy appeal of Genjis voiceover, but it really bothers me how it sounds like a non-native speaker reading his lines. I mean if the bad kungfu feel was what they were aiming for, then they hit that mark.

Uh, what? Dude sounds Japanese to me.

Internet says it's this dude : http://dpntalent.com/talent/gaku-space-2/

That's not an official confirmation that he is the voice. In any case, I'm just saying that the way Genji speaks Japanese to my ear sounds like someone reading from a sheet phonetically. Maybe he is a native speaker and the voice direction is for him to enunciate the lines in that way. I think it makes him sound like a old kungfu dub job, which may be what they are going for. The fact that the speaker is bilingual also makes me think this. It really doesn't matter in the end and we won't know who he is until Blizz or IMDB lists the voice talent.

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with you there. Sounds like he's using kansai ben to me, which as Japanese language tropes go would be like a hit man using a Jersey or Brooklynn accent.

Kinda funny, for D.Va, her bio says she's based out of Busan, Korea, but it doesn't sound like she has a gyeongsang dialect when she's speaking Korean, although it's hard to tell because there is so little actual Korean dialogue spoken by her.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    I do feel like the UI needs a good bit more polishing

which I mean, it's still the closed beta, so there's time for that

But yeesh this game gets visually busy enough as it is, a cluttered AI makes it even worse

Especially Mercy's UI is terrible.

Considering how far Heroes of the Storm has come in terms of UI since beta/alpha, I wouldn't be worried.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    krapst78 wrote: »
    I can see the cheesy appeal of Genjis voiceover, but it really bothers me how it sounds like a non-native speaker reading his lines. I mean if the bad kungfu feel was what they were aiming for, then they hit that mark.

Uh, what? Dude sounds Japanese to me.

Internet says it's this dude : http://dpntalent.com/talent/gaku-space-2/

That's not an official confirmation that he is the voice. In any case, I'm just saying that the way Genji speaks Japanese to my ear sounds like someone reading from a sheet phonetically. Maybe he is a native speaker and the voice direction is for him to enunciate the lines in that way. I think it makes him sound like a old kungfu dub job, which may be what they are going for. The fact that the speaker is bilingual also makes me think this. It really doesn't matter in the end and we won't know who he is until Blizz or IMDB lists the voice talent.

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with you there. Sounds like he's using kansai ben to me, which as Japanese language tropes go would be like a hit man using a Jersey or Brooklynn accent.

Kinda funny, for D.Va, her bio says she's based out of Busan, Korea, but it doesn't sound like she has a gyeongsang dialect when she's speaking Korean, although it's hard to tell because there is so little actual Korean dialogue spoken by her.

Base of operations doesn't mean birthplace or hometown per se, though that does seem a little needlessly convoluted.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    So I just watched the announcement trailer in Japanese, SquareEnix is apparently going to publish the game over there.

It made me realize how Anime-As-Fuck the entire game is.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    What was your first clue?

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    McCree's hard boiled dialogue, devil-may-care attitude, and hand-woven poncho, most likely.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Collectors Edition will come with D.VA pillows.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Didn't have the chance to try this at Blizzcon but was just thinking a coordinated team might be able to have Mei use her ability to set up turret characters in super hard to reach places they normally can't get to.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Dracil wrote: »
    Didn't have the chance to try this at Blizzcon but was just thinking a coordinated team might be able to have Mei use her ability to set up turret characters in super hard to reach places they normally can't get to.

Holy crap. I never thought of that. That could be awesome.

I still don't know if it will help Torbjorn though.

I just don't think his design holds up in this game. His turret should be his secondary means of damage like Symmetra cause there are simply too many ways to destroy it easily. Almost every one I've watched on stream who was Torbjorn lost the turret instantly as a push was made with little to no kills. It seems to me that it's best value is guarding the rear not pointed down main entrances, etc.

Everything he could provide is provided better by Bastion it seems.

cptrugged on
  • Options
    quarthinosquarthinos Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »

Holy crap. I never thought of that. That could be awesome.

I still don't know if it will help Torbjorn though.

I just don't think his design holds up in this game. His turret should be his secondary means of damage like Symmetra cause there are simply too many ways to destroy it easily. Almost every one I've watched on stream who was Torbjorn lost the turret instantly as a push was made with little to no kills. It seems to me that it's best value is guarding the rear not pointed down main entrances, etc.

Everything he could provide is provided better by Bastion it seems.

I think part of the reason you see Torbjorn turrets dying so quickly is the good spots haven't been found. Also, this is a team based game, so having a single character be able to hold off an entire team pushing without using an ult would be a bit OP. And with his ult, he can put down a level 3 turret and throw out infinite armor packs and shoot much faster.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Also, it's worth noting that the turrets have 360 degree vision. As Tracer, I'd rather face a Bastion than a turret

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Yeah I think the turrets are a bit more about support, rather than a tf2 "fuck all y'all" turret. It can stop flankers very well depending on location, not so much big tanky team pushes. Like it'll probably be great against genji

I really haven't seen him used a lot though.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I used Genji a bunch during Blizzcon. Very much a get behind enemy lines and decimate them kinda character IMO. Even head-on he can gain some distance with Deflect and Swift Strike. Deflect is situationally quite awesome as the more DPS enemies put out, the more he can throw back at them.

Pretty good against more stationary targets and once I remembered the melee button, things got even better.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    I used Genji a bunch during Blizzcon. Very much a get behind enemy lines and decimate them kinda character IMO. Even head-on he can gain some distance with Deflect and Swift Strike. Deflect is situationally quite awesome as the more DPS enemies put out, the more he can throw back at them.

So a melee Tracer?

Steam profile
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    If I made a Brazillian DJ I would have modeled him on Amon Tobin.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    New characters are up in the beta now.

• Options
    krapst78 wrote: »
    New characters are up in the beta now.

*gasp*

Super excited :D

Steam profile
  • Options
    Hahaha, apparently Overwatch only has 3 characters now. So many cyber ninjas everywhere.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    all genji all mid

• Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    Final Destination

Gah, I shall continue weeping at no beta access.

• Options
    Mei is such a fucking beast

• Options
    First game as D.Va done!

Not super impressed with her damage, but she's fun.

When she uses her ult, she shouts "nerf this!" :P

Steam profile
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    First game as D.Va done!

Okay, I really like that line... how many of us can emphasize with frustration at nerfbats?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »
    Mei is such a fucking beast

She is awesome! Freeze, suckas!

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    First game as D.Va done!

Okay, I really like that line... how many of us can emphasize with frustration at nerfbats?

Also, I've changed my mind, I think her damage is maybe OK. She's actually really threatening out of the mech, too. Her little phaser fires fast. But the explosion of the mech is great, it's such a great area denial ability, which is huge in this game.

Steam profile
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    First game as D.Va done!

Well when you are as good as me whatever you play gets nerfed because you literally play it too well.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    For those who feel like watching a stream, seagull and some other top tf2 comp players are just about to start playing a team of blizzard devs

This discussion has been closed.