As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Camp Comic] Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - Leftovers

• bansheekittybansheekitty Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I realize none of us like this lady, but please don't use terms like "tail" or "hoe" which objectify and sexualize women, just because you don't like an individual woman. That kind of language hurts attitudes towards all women.

But yes, she is the worst, at least if she ends up being the catalyst for why Fred is sent to camp.

bansheekitty on
  • DewyDewy Registered User new member
    @Bansheekitty Freedom of speech.

• briguybriguy Registered User regular
    Please don't be a jerk. It's a reasonable request. Also there is no freedom of speech here, Tube or any of the moderators are free to ban you for whatever reason they want.

It was a very polite and reasonable request. If you choose to ignore it, that's up to you. But please don't let an interesting discussion devolve into a fight.

• WestIndianAgoutiWestIndianAgouti Registered User regular
    @DEWY Freedom of speech is great, but don't use it as a crutch in order to justify saying anything you want to. People here, and in wider society ,have feelings and sentiments, and should always be respected for their humanity. If I wanted to hear people talking about tail and ho's, I would go to a hardware store for animals.

Guys, I have a question, but I also want your opinion or input on it as well. What do you think each camper sounds like....like, what's your headcannon about their voices?. To me, I think Fred would sound kinda like Chowder from that Cartoon Network show a few years back (not because of the food aspect) :3 Also, If there was a Camp W. movie , who would you want to play the voices of the respective main characters?

I picture Seventeen with a Kentucky/West Virginia accent. Or maybe just general southern accent. I'm just basing it on moonshine and the look of her family. Without knowing the exact state (being in South, I'm fairly good at differentiating by region).
    It's hard to me think of how I "hear" the others without knowing where they're from. Colin, I feel like is Midwest? Maybe Texas or Nebraska. I have no idea why other than football. Which, really, covers a lot more states.
    Malachi, I think would have a New York or a neutral accent. Either way, very proper and upper class.
    I think Brian has a booming voice. One that commands respect. When he does speak, you know it's him.

So in conclusion: I have no idea. Haha. It's hard for me to describe how I picture them in my head.

• RugliaRuglia Registered User new member
    I'm all for being considerate to others, but some of you people need to grow a thicker skin. Asking others to accomodate to your sensibilities is a huge problem in this day and age, in my opinion. Mind your own business.

@BRIGUY hahaha it's a bit difficult for me to describe in total as well :P I agree with the Seventeen one though, mainly due to my less than politically correct view of her family as quintessential rednecks :/

Considering some of my own family, I wouldn't call it incorrect assumption. Maybe politically incorrect, but not incorrect. Haha. Really, I have family members that could pass for Seventeen's family.
    My mom has a picture from her childhood of her and her sister sitting on a pig. I have an uncle on my dad's side that lost all of his teeth before he was 30.

@RUGLIA Jeez...What's your problem? It really has nothing to do with a thicker skin, it's about common decency. Yes, granted, it pertains to a particular series of comments made about a character in an artistic medium, and the commenter is free to do as he pleases, regardless of the consequences. However, I know from experience that people who hurl insults at fictional women are just as capable of doing it to real women, in the real world. So, in order to prevent somebody getting hurt, we decided it was time to address the issue of sexism in a classy and thoughtful way.

In short: I may not be American, but I know a Rush Limbaugh wannabe when I see one.

• RugliaRuglia Registered User new member
    @WESTINDIANAGOUTI That's like saying that someone who robbing cars and killing people in GTA are just as capable of doing it in real life, as if peoplee had no way to know what's real or not. You are exaggerating, and there's nothing classy about trying to tell others what they should or should not say -- not when it's not an unwarranted direct insult to an actual, living person. You have to respect that, and in no way are preventing people from getting hurt, what are you smoking?

I also have no idea who this Rush fellow is, but maybe that's because I'm Mexican.

@BRIGUY That's actually pretty cool :) Sorry to hear about your uncle's teeth though :/ I can kinda relate to having family members from a rural background, because my dad and all his siblings were born and raised in a rural area in the south of the island. They didn't live on a farm, but it was still countryside. I think that's where he gets his humble nature from :) I was born and raised in the north, which is generally more urban / developed.

@RUGLIA As a Mexican, it's probably best that you don't know who that is, honestly....

Well, I grew up in the city, too. That uncle is kind of reckless, a combination of riding horses, bulls, and bad hygiene. I'm fairly the opposite of most of my family. Too far out and I start hearing the banjos from deliverance. Funny enough my dad was born in Oregon and lived in California and Germany before ending up south. My mom is the opposite of country, too.
    Life is strange.
    But Seventeen's family is more real than most might think.
    But tangent. I don't know why, but I get the West Virginia coal mine town vibe from her family. So that's why I think Kentucky/West Virginia.

• furglefurgle Registered User new member
    @WESTINDIANAGOUTI
    I'm kinda with ruglia, - Now I wouldn't use the language suggested. Its not my way - But I don't like that words are the causality of people being awful. I don't like that we can't use certain words. Nor do I like that words are taken to be an emblem of sexism, racism or any other ism. It only leads to a longer list of words that are not acceptable. Nearly every word describing a behavior, person, status, can be used negatively. But that negativity shows more of the heart of the speaker.

And I for one would like to know what I'm dealing with, let people reveal their hearts I say.

@FURGLE I see your point, and I agree to an extent. It's always good to know who or what you're dealing with, but the downside of letting others show their true colours is that, in the process, others may be hurt in ways one cannot even begin to imagine, depending on the person, of course. If it pertains to derogatory comments towards women, then certainly the behavior or comments of the agitator will do a degree of harm, even if the subject of the verbal degradation has a strong resolve. Expecting people to be comfortable with idiots speaking their minds while they use the crutch of free speech in order to cause pain is like expecting the Three Blind Mice to win a Formula One race

• SargeSarge Registered User regular
    briguy wrote: »
    I think you're missing the important part: they have chicken ramen!
    I'm fond of the spicy chicken ramen myself.

I know right? Everything goes better with Ramen! :) I'm sitting here trying to think of something that isn't made better by adding Ramen..... can't think of anything. No, wait: Mac & Cheese (glorious king of all noodle dishes that it is) does not need Ramen's help being delicious cheesy goodness. Other than that.... no, wait: Ravioli. And spaghetti & meatballs. And lasagna. And... ok let's face it Ramen just sucks. :bigfrown: There's about 1000 different foods that are better without ramen. :(

But hey, when life gives you Ramen, make soup with it. : 8-)

edited November 2015
    Sarge wrote: »
    briguy wrote: »
    I think you're missing the important part: they have chicken ramen!
    I'm fond of the spicy chicken ramen myself.

I know right? Everything goes better with Ramen! :) I'm sitting here trying to think of something that isn't made better by adding Ramen..... can't think of anything. No, wait: Mac & Cheese (glorious king of all noodle dishes that it is) does not need Ramen's help being delicious cheesy goodness. Other than that.... no, wait: Ravioli. And spaghetti & meatballs. And lasagna. And... ok let's face it Ramen just sucks. :bigfrown: There's about 1000 different foods that are better without ramen. :(

But hey, when life gives you Ramen, make soup with it. : 8-)

I bet Fred could make all of those at camp with ramen. Sometimes when you don't have the correct ingredients you have to be imaginative!
    I hope the next time Katie and Adam take a break, and if they decide to still provide some content, it's just nothing but Fredcipes.

briguy on
  • ZyxxZyxx Registered User regular
    I'm actually surprised at how angry I am at these 'adults'. To the level I usually reserve for stuff that hits a personal nerve, but I've never been in any of the positions depicted here, so I dunno.
    Particularly the new girlfriend because what the hell did she think would happen? Yeah, Fred misses his mom; whatever happened to her (I assume died) she is /going/ to come up from time to time. If she couldn't deal with that, she should have bailed a long time ago. She's got an amazing opportunity to bring healing to a broken family and she's going to just blow it. (Although I'll be kind of interested if Fred's dad drops him off and she's simply horrified that he would go that far)
    Not that the dad is blameless. I get the distinct impression that there are some important conversations and reassurances that have not taken place between him and Fred, and probably between him and his new fiance (such as "My son is not a negotiable part of my life.")
    The only blameless person here is Fred, a little kid who misses his mom and has had to be his dad's emotional crutch. He deserves better.

• SparkmaneSparkmane Registered User regular
    I wonder if Fred ran away

• YazukiYazuki Registered User regular
    @PWN493: That is a really superb analysis.

@WESTINDIANAGOUTI: At this point, I'm not really sure what point you were trying to make. I think it got lost in your attempt to sound poetic. Just say it straight, eh?

• bansheekittybansheekitty Registered User regular
    I made a polite request that people refrain from using language demeaning to women. I thought it was only common courtesy and that no one would have a problem with it.

I'm pretty disheartened by some of the responses.

edited November 2015
    @bansheekitty I agree. But ultimately people are going to do what they're going to do. It's best to not engage further. If you feel like a post violates the rules, report it and let Tube and the mod staff handle it. I know on the PA side it's flag, I assume the flag option is still available on camp comic.

Edit: Sorry, I'm doing a poor job expressing this, because I completely agree with you. I just think flagging it and letting the moderators deal with it will have better results than trying to argue with them.

briguy on
  • Android 21 3/7Android 21 3/7 Registered User regular
    *abandons rock entirely* Ahhh! I know this is just going to end in pain for me, but headfirst into the brambles I go!

It's been established in the comments that Fred is Asian, right? I can really see how Fred ended up being the one to cook for his dad. I've noticed in my family (including extended family and in-laws) that cooking and such is just implicitly the women's duty. I remember the first Thanksgiving after my sister got married, the tiny kitchen was absolutely packed with women trying to cook and coordinate around the one oven while the men watched TV. I don't really judge them too harshly though. It's just rooted in the culture they came from. Right after my sister had her first child, Mom, me, and her mother-in-law all pitched in to help out (fulfilling the cultural role), but kinda crowded her husband out in the process. He genuinely wanted to help, but couldn't quite figure out how since we were doing all the cooking, cleaning, and babysitting. I think something similar took place with Fred's dad. He and Fred's mother were fulfilling the roles they learned from their own parents, but never really learned how to do the other's role. And since Fred and his mother bonded over cooking, her role had to be taken up by Fred.

On a more comedic (and/or perhaps darker) note, why do they have instant ramen? This is Camp Weedonwantcha, where all things unwanted are discarded! Is it merely a flavor that failed to take off? Or was it recalled? Is lead one of its ingredients?

• iczer6iczer6 Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I think what makes these backstories work is the at time brutal simplicity of them. Maybe the greatest cruelties are the ones we inflict without thinking.

ZYXX I agree but I wonder if there are parts of this relationship that Fred didn't see. Maybe fiancee has spent the entire time competing with a ghost and has reached her breaking point.

And maybe Fred's Dad doesn't view his presence in his life non-negotiable.

iczer6 on
    Iron Rooster Ramen
    Now with 50% less lead!

• Kick_04Kick_04 Registered User regular
    A Ramen Noodle soup... each camper gets a single noodle in their bowl.

PSN id - kickyoass1
    PaD id - 346,240,298
    Marvel FF - Lil bill12
  • ZyxxZyxx Registered User regular
    @ ICZER6
    If she's competing with a ghost, I really just don't understand why. It's not like she can steal him back from beyond the grave.
    And if Fred's dad doesn't view his presence as non-negotiable, he's a horrible person. Which is totally in the realm of possibility. (read: probably the case.)

• SunBroSolaireSunBroSolaire Registered User regular
    I half expect them to get into a big argument while driving then pass away because they were focused on the argument which is how Fred ends up here.

edited November 2015
    Tangent, but I just now noticed this, I think Malachi and Seventeen need help! They have nails in their heads!
    faxhj62x0dyd.jpeg
    I know it's just to mimic a poster board.

Also there's a shoe buried, poor shoeless campers. And next to the copyright is (Malachi's?) a message in a bottle.

Sorry, most of the time the comments don't work on my phone, so this the first time I've really looked at the site beyond the comic.

briguy on
    I'm really curious to how it ends. Does Fred's dad choose his new love over his son? Does something happen to Fred's dad so his stepmom sends him away? There are so many possibilities.

I do think the worst possibility is his dad choosing his new love over Fred. Especially after Fred did everything to cheer him up. He wouldn't have even found her if it wasn't for Fred. So that's probably what happened. :(

• martimusmartimus Registered User new member
    That woman is incredibly self centered. She is a horrible person for what she did. The man is horrible for choosing his new wife over his son, but the fact that she made him choose makes her even more evil.

@MARTIMUS Well, we haven't seen the whole picture yet. Let's just wait and see what happens later on before we jump to any conclusions

@ANDROID213/7 I like your analysis and I think it does a lot to bring out our perceptions of this particular character and others as well, especially if we relate their experiences to our own. I'd like to think that maybe Fred did in fact take up the role of cook from his mom, and that he used his love for cooking to cheer up a grieving parent. It would certainly speak volumes about his personality.

• KittLeeKittLee Registered User new member
    Geez, what a teenage girl "Oh no your son cares about the memories of his mother who is dead and doesn't want her forgotten, better throw a bitch fit so it's all about me, the bitch"

I'd have more sympathy if it was made to look like she tried to involve Fred at all, all we got was she showed up out of nowhere and suddenly one day, everything belonging to Fred's mom was gone and fine, HER apron but dad's new bed buddy got rid of FRED'S apron too, she completely cut that part of his life away, she just wants it all about her, she doesn't want the mother remembered and Fred is the biggest reminder of her and as long as he's around he'll never let his dad forget about her, which to that thing, means she's not getting 100% of the attention.

She's jealous of a dead woman and a small boy.

• iczer6iczer6 Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    KITTLEE That's entirely possible. Hell just about all the parents have been shown to be jerks and sadly this happens all to often in reality.

But Fred is a kid. There are parts to this relationship that he doesn't know because he shouldn't. Maybe Dad wasn't the best boyfriend. Maybe girlfriend found being a stepparent harder than she thought. Hell maybe they both got struck by lighting and Fred's relatives sent him to the camp.

iczer6 on
    edited November 2015
    For all we know, maybe stepmom loves Fred and is fighting for him. Maybe she's just upset because she doesn't think she'll ever live up to his original love. Maybe his dad thinks the best solution to make his fiancé happy is to send Fred away. Maybe once the fiancé finds out what he's done, she leaves him.

briguy on
  • DublinDublin Registered User regular
    @BRIGUY Hmm... I think you're kinda forgetting what king of webcomic this is.

edited November 2015
    I'm just saying that his fiancé my be the unfortunate catalyst. Maybe she actually loves Fred and ends up as horrified as us when she learns what Fred's dad did. It's still dark: not only does Fred's dad lose his love again, but he no longer even has his son to cheer him up. He's lost everything.

briguy on
  • APMEWAPMEW Registered User regular
    Not likely, as the name implies, to future step mom he is nothing but a "left over" something that needs to be done away with or replaced