As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense! (ironman, superhuman, starting tech & council funding only)

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Iolo wrote: »
    Jesus that's a hot LZ.

Not anymore.

Also woo I got to blow shit up! Finally!

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    It's still hot, and now it smells like bad BBQ.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Who wants a reaper drumstick slathered in Sweet Baby Rend's spicy hot napalm sauce?

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • HeartfinderHeartfinder Registered User regular
    Frankly, I'm not even sure this "Rob" will even have a pier by the time Team X-Com's done with the area given our MO.

steam_sig-400.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Operation: Rob's Pier

<3<3<3

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Operation: Rob's Pier

<3<3<3
    They want a reign of terror, we will _give_ them a reign of terror!

Bourgeois swine! We will take all of their heads!

• FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    There's one thing to be said for a centrally located LZ: you don't have far to go to find a fight.

l0kjMy1.gif

A sudden barrage of plasma brings Existential Doubt up short as it rolls into the street.

Dtuvmga.png

With red-caped figures swooping down behind them, panicked civilians are fleeing toward the Skyranger.

QyJmiIJ.gif

Cheeseliker may have just saved this man's life.

qnLiQ5o.png

Meanwhile, crucialityfactor takes the rare opportunity to gain a height advantage on a Floater.

BMxGGtz.gif

It pays off with her second career kill.

RZqF3XI.png

On the following turn, she disembarks for a closer look at the apartment building that abuts our landing zone. From the destruction on the third floor, we can surmise that the shooter was airborne east of the building, firing at an angle into the corner suite.

ZJfj2xN.png

Down on the ground, more trouble awaits. Fortunately, the fence is still mostly intact, denying the Reaper a straight run at us. Colonel Talus adds a proximity grenade to the obstacles in its way.

etsR0L9.gif

Across the street, the Floaters are now trying to cut down the fleeing civilians before they can reach us.

hmdzqPx.png

Gabriel_Pitt expertly insinuates himself into the Floaters' shared blind spot and calls out the targets to the squad.

qiQCvBP.gif

More clutch marksmanship from Cheeseliker! With the nearby civilians giving her zero margin for error, her cannon strikes true again.

yzoljY9.gif

Morning Butter, on the other hand, relies more on volume of fire than precision. After Rend's burst softens the target, Butter takes it out.

You've got a clear path to the Skyranger now, gents! Run for it!

rM9ehIi.png

Oh no.

NVxiWVR.png

God damn it.

lAvVXoD.gif

From the park, a primal bellow.

oj66q8q.gif

IT COMES

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    "Volume of fire."

I like the sound of those words.

They sound like dakka.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular
    Nice city. So floating and much stomping.

rooftop-city-view.jpg

Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Fanda I hope you packed the Incendiary ammo...

• fedaykin666fedaykin666 Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Fanda I hope you packed the Incendiary ammo...

Surely you wouldn't insult the Commander by suggesting that he might not have brought enough heavy weapons to utterly incinerate the town we're supposed to be saving?

• CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    KILL EM ALL!!!!!

JpKMQHy.png

Hobbled by its injuries, the Reaper could only reach the border of the park. It's unquestionably within striking range now and mustn't be allowed to survive the turn.

First, though, let's see what else we're dealing with. Morning Butter makes his way around the front landing gear, seeking out the source of those plasma blasts that killed the civilian across the street.

EXKxU7g.png

He finds it hovering one story above the sidewalk, the smoking barrel of its pistol still trained on its fresh kill.

2Rhgp64.gif

It proves an easy target for Gabriel_Pitt, who scores a stunning blow.

Meanwhile, Existential Doubt has continued rumbling up the street and found the northwestern corner of the map.

0ixXS8G.png

It's met there by a Floater who makes a fierce and idiotic attempt to stun our tank before retreating deeper into the garden.

Since he appears to be in the zone today, Gabriel_Pitt might as well keep shooting.

3Lfaykr.gif

Another non-lethal takedown by a rookie who I'm starting to suspect is a secret pacifist. Regardless, that's the west secured for now. We just have to sort out the Reaper in the park and whatever might be in the apartment building.

Speaking of which: crucialityfactor, why don't you scout it out for us?

cAxTOIB.gif

... crucialityfactor ...?

jw6tEkg.png

• RichardRichard Registered User regular
    Been reading this thread the last couple of days. Really great stuff. I'm only on page 30 but if there is still any barns standing I would like to !sign up (female 4).

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    I'd call that a successful scout; we now know something more lethal than a broken fence is out there. Great job crucialityfactor, now men continue onwards an- wait, where's @see317 ?

steam_sig.png
  • crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    Burn it to the ground.

Oh damn.

• VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    That Stores a Barn!!!

Vechloran.png
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    Velmeran wrote: »
    That Stores a Barn!!!

Oh god... what if they're all barns?!

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Rend wrote: »
    Velmeran wrote: »
    That Stores a Barn!!!

Oh god... what if they're all barns?!

http://ytcropper.com/cropped/lD563ccf876307b

Rius on
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    If anything, that clip taught me that Data is the best android. Why be a lame-ass backstabby always-evil-AI when you could be awesome like Data?

It occurs to me that Floater terror missions in UFO Defense are kind of like Exalt data recoveries in XCOM 2012. They're the stress relief missions.

vAY59Uq.png

They represent one of the vanishingly few times that you have the upper hand on your adversary.

T0R6Aoz.gif

Of course, all it takes is a single mistake - one missed relay, one step into a smoke-filled alley - and the comedy begins to turn to horror.

That's when you need someone to step up and pull everyone back from the brink. Someone like ...

QsuPydd.png

... really? Are we sure about this?

All right, manwiththemachinegun. This is your moment. Make us proud.

DKlI8rY.gif

Beautifully done!!

fnPemjg.png

Another step forward, another Floater revealed.

Can you do it again, manwiththemachinegun? Can you solidify your legacy for all time?

93trg4e.gif

He may not qualify as beefcake, but today he has become truly swole with heroism.

IkyW2IR.png

Having dashed past a pair of overwatching Floaters while bullets tore through the air a few feet above her, Cheeseliker finally reaches the safety of the apartment. For the first time since the Skyranger ramp dropped, she breathes clean air in great shuddering gulps.

We've made our one mistake, and we've overcome it. Now, at last, it's time to deal with the Reaper.

aYPUXkm.gif

Talus and Molybdenum together drive four armor-piercing cannon rounds into the monster's great furry bulk. They might as well be whacking its snout with a rolled-up newspaper. Clearly, this is going to require an explosive solution.

Rend tosses a HI-X charge across the ramp to Phaserlight. She catches it deftly and heaves it over the park fence, landing it directly at the foot of -

trirYGo.gif

Phaserlight

IBaBQzI.png

what have you done

Good thing, that. Talus had just put a stogie in his mouth but forgot to pack matches

steam_sig.png
    tumblr_m1exkcBi071r56st1.gif

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    I'd call that a successful scout; we now know something more lethal than a broken fence is out there. Great job crucialityfactor, now men continue onwards an- wait, where's see317 ?
    What? I didn't do anything to the high explosives!
    Certainly I would have had no reason to coat them with lubricants that would have incidentally made them difficult to throw or catch effectively.
    Even if there was a highly lucrative black market for such explosives, smuggling them out of base would have required a lot of creative thinking and a a great deal more muscle elasticity than most mortals possess.

Why is everyone looking at me? I said I didn't have anything to do with anything.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Dramatic reenactment of current events:

"Me help!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqr691ZrQCo

manwiththemachinegun on
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    It's all that greasy slippery muscle butter you all squirt at each other.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    No problem, I'll just relay this hefty femur-sized pack of Hi-X over to that mini-T-Rex...

*Huhhh-UH*

...oh crap

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Pretty lights!

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Engraved on Funeral Light's tombstone:
    Whoops!

I hope nobody was too attached to their eyebrows or facial hair...

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    God damn it. All right, once I'm done gathering up the 'new friends' I've made over here to take back to the base and have 'tea' with Dr. Vahlen, I'll pick up the rest of y'all's bleeding carcasses and drag you back to the sky ranger.

Five months ago, on a Medium Scout recovery, Talus9952 was cut down by Sectoid reaction fire. A last-second medevac saved her life, but she spent weeks in hospital undergoing surgery and physical therapy. It was very nearly the end of a promising career.

Instead, she clawed her way back to active duty. As the months passed, she was promoted up through the ranks. Finally she was given command of our North American operations - the pinnacle of a soldier's ambition.

She came a long way from that Spanish farmstead where everything came so close to ending for her. With every step along the path that brought her to Santiago, she grew in strength, in skill, and in vitality. She made all of us proud.

dSrGfU6.png

In particular, she gained fourteen health. And by that margin, she currently clings to life.

dFN1nQg.png

Four turns separate her from the hereafter. Only reckless haste can save our Colonel now.

ABQ6dQi.png

Existential Doubt's treads churn up a spume of dirt and ash as it rushes at top speed down the alley. It finds another Floater hovering beside a second story window, where none of our soldiers have a hope of engaging it.

galsy8N.png

On the ground floor, Cheeseliker sweeps through the flat. She finds a corpse in the kitchen, and something much worse waiting just outside the window.

Meanwhile, Talus has stripped the belt of armor-piercing ammunition out of her autocannon with trembling, blood-soaked hands, and reloaded it with explosive rounds.

Using the last of her strength, she grabs Phaserlight by the shoulder and thrusts her autocannon into the rookie's hands. Then she pulls Phaserlight close and whispers something fiercely into her ear.

CILxyg3.png

It's Talus's last act in command.

ClciMtd.png

Phaserlight turns to the Reaper in the courtyard, bringing the Colonel's autocannon to bear. Her face an ashen mask of grim determination, she squeezes the trigger...

773KVI0.gif

... and finds a small measure of redemption.

With the way cleared, X-Com operatives sprint out towards the apartment building and the Floater hiding behind it. A limited contingent, however, stays behind. The Floaters that Gabriel_Pitt stunned could reawaken at any moment and delay Talus's medevac for one fatal turn. They'll have to be dealt with.

4fwJsDG.png

Rend goes after the northwestern one, while Morning Butter takes the south.

It's all we can do for now. Existential Doubt tucks itself back behind the corner of the building, and a few more moments of Talus's scant remaining time slip away.

rM9ehIi.png

What's this?

eMtE764.gif

It's coming after the tank! We've got it now!

AOtK46k.png

Across the street, Morning Butter reaches the pile of bodies at the corner of the warehouse and pokes them with his boot to see which one is still breathing.

Wvkmg1E.png

Talus9952, if we make it out of this, I promise to make you proud!

(and not blow anyone else on the team up)

I have no idea why this is important.

But my job isn't to think about these things.

So I wont.

*glug glug glug glug*

Show 'em what size 12's taste like, Morningbutter!

steam_sig.png
  • DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    but...what about the suicide stun rod run?!?

Talk about a lucky break.

(assuming I'm reading that right)

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Fanda wrote: »
    Meanwhile, Talus has stripped the belt of armor-piercing ammunition out of her autocannon with trembling, blood-soaked hands, and reloaded it with explosive rounds.

Using the last of her strength, she grabs Phaserlight by the shoulder and thrusts her autocannon into the rookie's hands. Then she pulls Phaserlight close and whispers something fiercely into her ear.

CILxyg3.png

It's Talus's last act in command.
    Talus wrote:
    You. Suck.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Durinia wrote: »
    but...what about the suicide stun rod run?!?

Talk about a lucky break.

(assuming I'm reading that right)

We still need a commander so barring additional luck a stun rod run into an alien base or battleship is required.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png