As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch] Release: May 24th / Animated shorts coming this Spring!

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Polaritie wrote: »
    kime wrote: »
    First game as D.Va done!

Not super impressed with her damage, but she's fun.

When she uses her ult, she shouts "nerf this!" :P

Okay, I really like that line... how many of us can emphasize with frustration at nerfbats?

The irony will be when Blizzard actually does take a nerfbat to it one day.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    For those who feel like watching a stream, seagull and some other top tf2 comp players are just about to start playing a team of blizzard devs

Thanks for that! I had about 20 minutes to kill before work and I got to see how nuts Genji can be and how sweet the new map is! Can't wait to play when I get home tonight!

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Man D'va's selfdestruct has way to much range.

Lost 3 games in a row cause the radius was enough to clear out the entire capture point

bloodyroarxx on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Got into the beta today!

Also Legacy of the Void and Fallout 4 just came out!

I am literally drowning in games, someone help!

• DacDac Registered User regular
    Dear 3clipse,

Fuck you!

-with love, Dac

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Guess that means more waves are inbound.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

I think you should all check your e-mail every few minutes, just in case. After all, the one time you don't check Blizzard will let you in the Beta and you'll be missing precious playtime.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited November 2015

I think you should all check your e-mail every few minutes, just in case. After all, the one time you don't check Blizzard will let you in the Beta and you'll be missing precious playtime.

Yeah, I see what's going on. Just bait us into feeling sorry for ourselves...

WE DON'T NEED YOUR SYMPATHY, KIME!
    *...checks bnet account*

KoopahTroopah on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I guess it's heartening to know they're still adding people.

• chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular

I get instant notification on my phone when I get an email, but I still keep logging in on my browser to check. It is a sickness.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Asshole blizzard, sent me an e-mail about overwatch just telling me I can go pre-order it.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Asshole blizzard, sent me an e-mail about overwatch just telling me I can go pre-order it.

Trollolololol

• IblisIblis Registered User regular
    The hilarious thing with that is the e-mail telling me to go preorder Overwatch arrived much later than the e-mail receipt I got for actually pre-ordering it.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    You know, it'd be nice if they did a wave of Overwatch beta invites focusing on people who got the Virtual Ticket.

*coughs*

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Bought Fallout 4 day 1. I rarely day 1 games these days.

Get into work this morning, lo and behold my email says I got into the Overwatch Beta.

Blizzard you wonderful bastards.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's a large wave so you feel extra bad when you don't get in.

YL9WnCY.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I'm just going to keep on trucking with my MMOs and buy Fallout 4 at Christmas when I have time to play it properly. Overwatch can come at any time or not at all and I would be fine either way.

And that's what I am going to keep telling myself even when I check my B.net page and email daily for anything other then the "Pre-purchase Overwatch now!" embedded with my Blizzard games.

488W936.png
  • R-KR-K Registered User regular
    Based on the trend I am seeing, you only get into Overwatch beta if your cup overfloweth with blessings already. All we need to do to get in is have a million other things we need to do/play that Overwatch can disrupt with beta access. Or buy Fallout 4.

3DS: 2036-7005-8111 Shiny:2737
  • pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    R-K wrote: »
    Based on the trend I am seeing, you only get into Overwatch beta if your cup overfloweth with blessings already. All we need to do to get in is have a million other things we need to do/play that Overwatch can disrupt with beta access. Or buy Fallout 4.

But I don't wannna buy Fallout 4....

So for someone that really wants to play this on PC but has never in his life bought a gaming PC, where should I look for advice on what to do?

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

So for someone that really wants to play this on PC but has never in his life bought a gaming PC, where should I look for advice on what to do?

For starters, I'd hit up this place full o' fancy-lads and fancy-lasses: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/199235/computer-build-thread-skylake-abound-and-z170-for-all-your-ddr4-needs

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Erlkönig wrote: »

For starters, I'd hit up this place full o' fancy-lads and fancy-lasses: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/199235/computer-build-thread-skylake-abound-and-z170-for-all-your-ddr4-needs

Second this. @pirateluigi , get thee over to that PC build thread in Moe's and we/they will help you pick out parts to build a PC to match your goals and budget.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Blizzard trolled me pretty good earlier.

I signed into my bnet account on the website and saw a new listing on there for Overwatch, which was not previously there.

My heart skipped a beat and I got excited for a second. Then I read what it actually said and realized I had been trolled. Hard.
    OverwatchTroll_zpsmt8vlqmo.png

• BladeOfSanjuroBladeOfSanjuro Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Blizzard trolled me pretty good earlier.

I signed into my bnet account on the website and saw a new listing on there for Overwatch, which was not previously there.

My heart skipped a beat and I got excited for a second. Then I read what it actually said and realized I had been trolled. Hard.
    OverwatchTroll_zpsmt8vlqmo.png

I knew about that one, but then they go and email me about LotV being released. Got all excited when I saw the gmail notification on my droid from Blizzard on the status bar...

steam_sig.png
    Waiting for an email that says "Congratulations...you're still not in the Overwatch beta!"

YL9WnCY.png
    edited November 2015
    Or "While many are enjoying closed beta of Overwatch, you can enjoy it first on launch day by pre-ordering the Origins Edition from Battle.net."

KoopahTroopah on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    It looks like my GeForce GT 9600 cannot run this game.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    I am slightly surprised they didn't throw in beta access with the Origins Edition or even the Why Would You Want a Statue of Soldier 76 Edition

YL9WnCY.png
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    Well, it seems like they're being pretty straight with people about not wanting it to be that huge right now and wanting to do some configuration on matchmaking and such, so I understand why the Origins edition didn't come with beta access off the bat because fuck there'd have been hundreds of thousands pounding the servers.

I expect we'll see something like that later. "Did you order Origins? Bam. You're in beta now." But only once they're ready.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    yeah, but i'm not in the beta and so this is the darkest timeline

surely you all agree if you were in my position???

• DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    Seriously though why would they go with Solider 76 for the statue? If it were Tracer, who's the only character on the goddamn box art when you first go to their site, I'd have bought five by now.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    didnt they say 7 million sign ups for beta? even if 1/2 of those were auto opt in, 3 million players is the size of a semi successful (lol) game. I'm okay with them slowly letting people in as long as they keep their servers up.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015

Lost 3 games in a row cause the radius was enough to clear out the entire capture point

My understanding is that all you need to do is get out of LoS. If you can't do that, it doesn't matter where on the map you are, you die.

I have literally gone two steps around a corner and waited for it to go off and not died, so the LoS part is certainly true.

Edit: the little "Warning" symbol (!) thingy helps you out a bit, if you're in LoS it's red and flashing, if you're safe it's yellow and not flashing.

sarukun on
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    *Email from blizzard*

Holy shit, tonight's the night!

Reclaim your homeworld! Experience the chilling climax of the Star-

rrrRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEE!

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    ♫ Everybody wants to get a beta key, but Blizzard only gives them to the big Twitch streams, oh why must it be this way... (hey! must be the money!) ♫

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

My understanding is that all you need to do is get out of LoS. If you can't do that, it doesn't matter where on the map you are, you die.

I have literally gone two steps around a corner and waited for it to go off and not died, so the LoS part is certainly true.

Edit: the little "Warning" symbol (!) thingy helps you out a bit, if you're in LoS it's red and flashing, if you're safe it's yellow and not flashing.

I wonder if the Ice Wall from Mei would block it's damage.

So I played my first few games of this last night.

I have yet to lose when defending with Symmetra. I knew I would love her. Her gameplay is right in my wheelhouse.

I like it because while she's amazing defending, I tried to see if I could get some value out of her while attacking and it really doesn't work too well. You don't get much value from the turrets and map depending, the teleporter isn't nearly as strong as an offensive tool as it is on defense. Her orb is still amazing at wrecking stationary defenders though. But I think I'd still be better off with someone flanking or some well placed Pharah rockets.

I am slightly surprised they didn't throw in beta access with the Origins Edition or even the Why Would You Want a Statue of Soldier 76 Edition

Seriously in a game with a roster full of crazy characters why would they choose to make the statue of hands-down the most boring one?

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »

I wonder if the Ice Wall from Mei would block it's damage.

it does. It blows up the ice wall but you're fine behind it.

Mei's ice wall can be amazing at blocking line of sight, you can make a joke out of turrets in the same way.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    ♫ Everybody wants to get a beta key, but Blizzard only gives them to the big Twitch streams, oh why must it be this way... (hey! must be the money!) ♫

This does kind of backup a different concern that I read on another thread. It appears that for Hearthstone, especially, beta access to certain players and streamers translated into those specific streamers/players building their viewer base and that carried over into after release, which made it difficult for a lot of other players/streamers to build their fanbase if they started playing the game after general release.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    It seems like d'va doesn't really work that well as just like a frontline tank like some of the other guys. She is however pretty great at diving forward straight into the faces of those annoying high damage characters that skirt around the periphery of a fight and either killing or disrupting them.

She's pretty situational though. Her mech gun is weeeaaaaaak at anything beyond shotgun range

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    It seems like d'va doesn't really work that well as just like a frontline tank like some of the other guys. She is however pretty great at diving forward straight into the faces of those annoying high damage characters that skirt around the periphery of a fight and either killing or disrupting them.

She's pretty situational though. Her mech gun is weeeaaaaaak at anything beyond shotgun range

It's weak, but it's constant damage that is difficult to dodge, which can add up

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
This discussion has been closed.