As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny] I'm thankful for Pax Arcadia.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    the rep gains don't feel "seriously neutered" to me, on net

you get fewer per patrol or mission or whatever, but you get both at the same time now

plus with the class items that boost gains

i'm still gaining about one rank a week in faction rep, and one and a half or two in vanguard rep

just like before

it just looks like less if you look at it one gain at a time

I dont really care about the Vanguard rep at all, I want new shaders and ships, Vanguard gives none of that, they can have that stuff back for all I care.

Even with the Exotic Class items you dont get anything remotely similar to before, the removal of the Nightfall/Weekly Heroic rep gain/buff are the biggest reasons, but bounties and patrols giving far less is also noticeable.

Bungie said this themselves and said they'd "make up for" the rep gain/Nightfall buff being removed with something of similar value, 2 months ago and thats it, nothing has happened after that.
    Motes of Light for rep gain helps offset the reduction due to losing out on the weekly or nightfall bonus.

Are you gaining 330 Motes of Light a week? Because thats how many you'd need to use to make up for 3 characters not getting the Rep gains alone, thats even without counting the NF buff for the week.

I don't play 3 characters at the same time. And even when I may play more than one character, I didn't tend to worry about completing both the Nightfall and the Weekly to maximize my rep gain prior to playing the game itself. The change to the nightfall to not give rep buff, while initially annoying, has completely changed my play. In that I don't have the weight of the Nightfall as first thing to do on Tuesday, I feel relieved. And that, plus what appears to be improved drop rates of shaders/ships, combined with more useful drops in general that aren't just motes, makes me feel that the offset is sufficient.

I don't care about not being able to level up a rank twice in a week if I'm getting rewards roughly 2-3 times as fast. And given that I went 25-30 ranks with no ships and only 1 shader in New Monarchy in Year 1, and since TTK have gone about another 10-15, and gotten a ship and 3 more shaders, I think I'm ok with the overall changes. Yes, it is RNG and yes it's anecdotal, but TTK has made me feel like those rank-ups aren't totally fucking worthless, even if they (maybe) come less frequently for me.

But I think your experiences with the economy and my experiences with the economy are opposites, some from RNG, some from expectations. I feel TTK has generally been a step in the right direction (with Raid loot being the main issue of contention). But what I see isn't what you see, and that isn't what the non-hardcore see.

EDIT: I guess my broad point is - I think TTK has made improvements in that I feel like the rank ups have been more rewarding, and combined with the relief of not needing to have to hammer out Nightfalls to start the week, net result is a positive feeling that TTK did deliver to me an economy that felt more deliberately designed and less just BIG NUMBERS

Zombie Gandhi on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    honestly if i were playing three characters i might be getting 330 motes a week

i am up to my eyeballs in motes

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    I think we've had this "Sirialis, you're in the 1%, mang... so your experiences with the economy are drastically different from the rest of us" conversation before too. :P

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    You're probably right. If nobody else jumps on in the next two hours, I'll cancel it and reschedule it for the weekend.

Assuming that winds up being the case, anyone want to do some PoE in a few hours? I'm sure there must be other folks looking to build up HoJ rep ...

I need VoG and I'd like to do some PoE

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Is ToM really necessary for HM Oryx? Cause....darn it I was content with never getting it cause I hate collect-a-thon missions.

Also Shen, raising with PA group is like going to the gym. You think everyone is watching but in truth everyone isn't.

You say that, but when you're the last person stuck on a platforming section for 45 minutes and you can actually see them watching while someone tries to coach you through it... :P

Naw for sure, there's never any pressure. I think ultimately I'm just not comfortable with regularly setting aside time for what's supposed to be leisure. It's the same reason I grumble about going to the pub with mates!

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    ErevarErevar The Nounverber Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Before it was:
    Run Nightfall/Weekly = Get rep

Now it's more like:
    Run anything = get motes/glimmer = trade for rep

I sympathize with Siri because I don't want to trade in-game materials for rep (I prefer to hoard), whereas I was just fine trading time for rep directly. Personally it doesn't feel as good to me to get rep in smaller chunks over the course of a week (even if they add up to more rep overall) than it does to get a big chunk of rep once per week.

Edit: I also don't care that you get Vanguard/Crucible rep in conjunction with faction rep. Once you get to rank 3 the rep is mostly irrelevant.

Erevar on
    KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
    I can't get off until Shad gives me permission.
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    What makes ToM so good for Oryx?

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    What makes ToM so good for Oryx?

You get the benefit of its Double-Damage-On-The-Last-Bullet feature without the drawback of its You-Take-Damage-By-Shooting-The-Last-Bullet feature (due to the Invincibility aura)

EDIT: Typo

EDIT 2: And it's an infinite ammo full-auto scout rifle so it hits hard and quick

Vagabond on
    vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I think we've had this "Sirialis, you're in the 1%, mang... so your experiences with the economy are drastically different from the rest of us" conversation before too. :P

On my friendslist I think I'm 7th in time played... @Brogey is the current leader, by a mile.

EDIT: I'm 8th, just checked.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    edited November 2015

On my friendslist I think I'm 7th in time played... @Brogey is the current leader, by a mile.

Yeah, I think Brogey has like two months of played time... :P

I'm sure Erevar has you both beat though.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited November 2015

I think he's 5th or 4th.

I was actually a little surprised to see that I was that "low" on that list because I've more or less played Destiny since release last year without putting it down.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Did some quick checking...

@Brogey: 2210+
    @dinoarus: 2208+
    Me: 1938+
    @Erevar: 1913+
    @Sirialis: 1814+

EDIT: This was adding up just the Hours from all three characters on destinystatus.com

Vagabond on
    vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Wow, I seem such an amateur with my 1589 hours :eek:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    I haven't even broken 1000 hours yet. :P

• Options
    edited November 2015

Barely, but if you are using Destinystatus to check, you probably have.
    Vagabond wrote: »

EDIT: This was adding up just the Hours from all three characters on destinystatus.com

Those top numbers are a little off, Bogey has more than 2 days on OG.

Edit: Best part about looking it up, @Brogey 's avatar does this little victory pose.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    I decided to run some Taniks strikes from the director to try and get my cloak.

2nd attempt: Purple engram drops, yay... oh it's boots.
    3rd attempt: Purple engram drops, omg, surely this time... oh no it's a sublime arm engram.

I fucking hate you Taniks. You're such a cloak tease.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    edited November 2015

3rd attempt: Purple engram drops, omg, surely this time... oh no it's a sublime arm engram.

Do you have any of the Flayer Mantles? I vastly prefer those to the Taniks Cloaks... Of which I have 3 :?

Sirialis on
  • Options

Since that site tracks time per-character, the difference could be from sitting on the pre-game screen where you're not logged into any.

vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    morgan_cokemorgan_coke Registered User regular

Hmm, I was fifth in the clan I think when I bailed on playing for like six months, looks like the rest of you.. didn't take time off, glad I hit the brakes, that's like, a full 40 hr work week for an entire year right there.

XBL: Morgan Coke Yes, there is a space, not an underscore. I'm old school like that.
    Battle.net: morgancoke#1589

Titan's Creed: Jump first, don't ask questions, punch everything
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    GET ON MY LEVEL! :P

Really though, I leave myself logged in while in orbit or in the Tower for long periods of time. If you look at my active playing time, it's drastically lower. However, I probably do need an intervention. I have a hard time not jumping into groups to help when needed.

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options

Do you have any of the Flayer Mantles? I vastly prefer those to the Taniks Cloaks... Of which I have 3 :?

I have an Arc flayer mantle which I got from the nightfall a couple of weeks back. I prefer the look of the Taniks cloak. Plus I must have all the pretty princess dress options.

• Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    rndmhero wrote: »
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Guys buy three of the Suros armsday pulse. This gun with the right rolls (full auto or hidden hand) will be the new y2 meta (behind s perfect grasp of Malik)

Don't miss out. Get 3 so you can grab a solid roll if it comes and hand onto the others for better/god tier some day

On your sound advice (and against my initial reservations), I picked up a Y2 Bad Juju and have been using it this week for crucible. Oh man, it feels good. I win so many fights against "better" guns just because the RoF is so high, and I've won several close engagements with the full auto hip fire. Couldn't be happier to see a legendary version on sale this week. If I can get one with full auto and decent range perks I may never look back.

Also, apologies for the anemic performance this weekend, but feel free to hit me up if you ever need another for trials. Don't care much about most the gear, but I still enjoy it more than most anything else in Destiny.

First off, don't remotely worry about "performance"

Trials is a blast but depending on match ups and team chemistry /strategies performance is a fickle beast. You can be playing well and forcing wins but not get any kills or end up on 3v1 slaughters. And regardless the new format is a ton of fun just completing bounties.

Secondly, glad you're digging juju. It reminds me of tlw a bit in a weird way. You can open up hip firing and ads as you go which lets you get that first shot most times or finish dudes running.

Also it's actually the best ttk for pulses other than grasp because it can always 3 shot and the Nirwens type can only 2shot on super low armor guardians.

Technically red death CAN always but even the best players hardly ever get it so realistically it's still a 3 shot.

Pulses are weird cause of the burst delay so it's technically 8 bullets from juju or 7 from Nirwens so the ttk evens out a bit compared to just looking at 3 bursts

But in the end juju ends up with a solid ttk. The exotic perks are God send for trials and hip fire helps deal with rush downs a ton.

Also the synergy with shock lock is insane. The super energy from being around teammates + super from juju kills meant I sometimes had my bar 3/4 fill by end of round 1 in trials.

I've only used my lock on one card and I'm 1/1 for lighthouse, I don't think that's a coincidence.

It's funny you mention that, because when I was playing with it it felt a LOT like my Y1 TLW. Full auto hip-fire while ADSing for range just gives so much mobility and versatility.

It's interesting you had such a good run with stormcaller for trials, because I tend to think of it as the least trials-oriented subclass. The grenades are pretty bad, and the super seems really inconsistent. I love it for 6v6, where you can just hover around shocking chumps down, but against a coordinated team, I often get focus fired before I can rack up more than a single kill. I've run sunsinger for so long because of the amazing neutral game and shenanigans that the super allows, but this week voidwalker has just been clicking like crazy for me. Maybe I should give stormcaller another try on a card this weekend.

• Options
    Brogey wrote: »

Really though, I leave myself logged in while in orbit or in the Tower for long periods of time. If you look at my active playing time, it's drastically lower. However, I probably do need an intervention. I have a hard time not jumping into groups to help when needed.

haha, I have roughly 650 active hours played though. you still dwarf me by a lot. :P

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Also there is a way to get Strange Coins for sure, you wont get that many but maybe enough to let you buy something you need? When you do 3 Patrols without going to Orbit, you get Curious and Curiouser immediately after, which seems to give 2-3 Strange Coins for completion on average.

I got it a few times last week trying to max out VIP Patrols to get some more Grimoire Score because I wanted an even number, now I'm tied with @Vagabond at 4660 as number 2 ... I'll never get near OG though, not trying to either.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Also there is a way to get Strange Coins for sure, you wont get that many but maybe enough to let you buy something you need? When you do 3 Patrols without going to Orbit, you get Curious and Curiouser immediately after, which seems to give 2-3 Strange Coins for completion on average.

I got it a few times last week trying to max out VIP Patrols to get some more Grimoire Score, now I'm tied with Vagabond at 4660 ... I'll never get near OG though.

If I could just make it to the Lighthouse, I could get a sweet +30 points and ensure that @Trojan35 would never catch me

vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015

I added up "active" time only:

Brogey:1429
    Vagabond: 1387
    dinoarus:1355
    Erevar: 1339
    Me: 1331
    Sirialis:1138

Clearly @Sirialis pads his play time by idling in orbit!

Arteen on
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Also I have another thing I can calculate from those Destiny hours, a little over a year of playing an once each day I exercise for an hour+ (probably a little more on average) while playing and I count the calories.

So that amounts to an average of 213.500 calories (low measure, real number is probably a bit higher.) burned while playing Destiny.

Arteen wrote: »

I added up "active" time only:

Brogey:1429
    Vanguard: 1387
    dinoarus:1355
    Erevar: 1339
    Me: 1331
    Sirialis:1138

Clearly @Sirialis pads his play time by idling in orbit!

Huh, seriously? I thought I was closer to you.

Edit: Who's Vanguard?

Sirialis on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i'm only at like 720 hours or so

interestingly, my xbone titan i've had for like three weeks i've played almost as much as i played my warlock on ps4 in y1

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Vanguard is Arteen's muscle-memory attempting to spell Vagabond :P

vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    Vanguard is Arteen's muscle-memory attempting to spell Vagabond :P

Sorry, was playing Mass Effect an hour ago!

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

I got it a few times last week trying to max out VIP Patrols to get some more Grimoire Score, now I'm tied with Vagabond at 4660 ... I'll never get near OG though.

If I could just make it to the Lighthouse, I could get a sweet +30 points and ensure that @Trojan35 would never catch me

Sadly, I discovered on my recent Lighthouse trip that the Lighthouse Grimoire card is broken in Year 2. You can get the Osiris card but not the actual card for the Lighthouse.

Seeing as Grimoire was like 50% of my motivation for going to the Lighthouse, it left me rather miffed. That said, maybe Destiny will fix it so there is still a reason to try and push for it. Grimoire completion is like a whole other sub-game/horrible compulsion.

Zombie Gandhi on
  • Options

Sadly, I discovered on my recent Lighthouse trip that the Lighthouse Grimoire card is broken in Year 2. You can get the Osiris card but not the actual card for the Lighthouse.

Seeing as Grimoire was like 50% of my motivation for going to the Lighthouse, it left me rather miffed. That said, maybe Destiny will fix it so there is still a reason to try and push for it. Grimoire completion is like a whole other sub-game/horrible compulsion.

Oh God... it would legit wreck me to go there and not get the card

vq2TEKC.png
  • Options

I think it's just a random chance after doing a patrol mission to get the Curious and Curiouser mission.

I've just done 9 patrol missions on Mars and it hasn't popped yet.

• Options
    edited November 2015

I think it's just a random chance after doing a patrol mission to get the Curious and Curiouser mission.

Thats weird, I got it right after 3 Patrols on 3 separate occasions? Luck I guess.

I did them on Earth if that matters somehow.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

Edit: Best part about looking it up, @Brogey 's avatar does this little victory pose.

• Options

I got it a few times last week trying to max out VIP Patrols to get some more Grimoire Score because I wanted an even number, now I'm tied with @Vagabond at 4660 as number 2 ... I'll never get near OG though, not trying to either.

About that...

grimoire_001_zps34icinxy.jpg

8-)

• Options
    :bigfrown:

• Options

Thats weird, I got it right after 3 Patrols on 3 separate occasions? Luck I guess.

I did them on Earth if that matters somehow.

I used to get that mission all the time when running patrols but I've yet to see it in a while. So there may even be an item associated with it and a quota.

• Options
    Okay, looks like I have to go win 11 games of Clash, 3 of Skirmish, and play on either Timekeeper or Cathedral of Dusk :cool:

vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Okay, looks like I have to go win 11 games of Clash, 3 of Skirmish, and play on either Timekeeper or Cathedral of Dusk :cool:

Better throw a Flawless Victory on the pile there to make sure.

I looked at the Grimoire score earlier, I think @Arteen was at 4640-45 or something then, he's probably hacking.

Sirialis on