As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars: Armada] Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Okay, so who's up for the megagame where we start with the Rebellion board, but fleet battles are done via Armada, the fighter engagements in Armada are done with X-Wing, and ground combats are done with some combination of Imperial Assault or the WotC SW Minis?

:D

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    If I had a whole weekend free I would be SO down for something like that.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Okay, so who's up for the megagame where we start with the Rebellion board, but fleet battles are done via Armada, the fighter engagements in Armada are done with X-Wing, and ground combats are done with some combination of Imperial Assault or the WotC SW Minis?

Played as a team.

Supreme Commanders are in charge of the Rebellion board.

Supreme Commanders choose Admirals to command fleets, and Admirals choose Squadron Leaders to command fighters.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Played as a team.

Supreme Commanders are in charge of the Rebellion board.

Supreme Commanders choose Admirals to command fleets, and Admirals choose Squadron Leaders to command fighters.

That's really doable. How do you decide fighters?

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular
    I'd say a series of small scale games (Assault then XWing) the results of which would feed into the set up for an Armada game which in turn decides the starting conditions for a Rebellion game spanning the Galaxy.

Very doable with not too many people and doesnt require multiple sub games for every move on the larger scale game board which could take months, even years!

• belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular

funny you mention this, because I'm doing this, but I start with the FFG SW RPG, which I use the IA minis. Then use the Armada for fleet battles, and the xwings on a hex map for dog fights.

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    World Championships are happening.

Armada just started.

Stream here!

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Little do you realize, but he just destroyed your financial security forever.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Were it not for the fact that I barely get it to the table due to time limits, I would have zero money for anything else.

I do occasionally get it all out and just arrange it nicely on a star mat on my dining table. Just to look at, move around a little, make 'fwoosh' and 'PEW PEW' noises.

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Got to play last night and had a fun game (the poor Rebel guy charged straight into 2x VSD2 on Contested Outpost). Witnessed the power of Home One on the table next to mine.... kind of want to go buy all of Wave 2 now. :)

• DeoDeo Registered User regular
    I had a VSD get more-or-less one-shotted by an MC80 tonight. It had taken a single damage to its front shield. The MC80 with Defiance opened up on me with 6 reds, a 1 black, and 4 blues. Proceeded to roll (with the help of Leading Shots) a total of 13 damage + an accuracy. He also had X17 Turbolasers. Disabled my Brace. Vaporized me.

I couldn't even be mad, I was in such awe.

Can't wait to get my Wave 2 order.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Cool Stuff Inc has the new wave in, and with pretty decent discounts. The Imperial Star Destroyer is $32, for example. I might pick that up just on principle, it looks so awesome.

So, I am totally not sure if an ISD can beat an MC80 1-on-1 if it has Engine Techs and Ackbar. Damn is the MC80 maneuverable with Engine Techs. It's only going to take a single round of front arc fire from the ISD, which it can easily survive, and after that, it's free to circle around and ruin it's day.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Played my first game last night. Wow, this game is great.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    edited December 2015
    I have a Victory Class Star Destroyer and the Torpedo frigate thing.

First it was X-Wing...

Edit: In fact I have an IMPERIAL star destroyer. I mixed them up.

Aegeri on
    Home One as well.

Dear gods. What is this game going to me?!?!

But in a serious question, does anyone know of an online fleet builder?

My favorite: http://armada.ryankingston.com/

There are other good ones but this guy has pretty web design skills :).

@Aegeri If you need a storage solution, this one has been mentioned on both BGG and Reddit, and is what I also recently just bought. Works really well, also for X-Wing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GJYTXZO

I have the main toolbox and two of the snap-on cases, and that holds the following:
    1 ISD, 3 VSDs, 2 Gladiators, 2 Raiders, 1 MC80, 1 MC30, 2 AFMK-2s, 3 Neb-Bs, 3 CR90s, with plenty of room for more.

The top toolbox holds all the cards, dials, and rules. Also holds 3 planos that house my squadrons and tokens. The first bottom case holds all the ships. The 2nd bottom case holds all the bases.

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    http://nanotanks.pythonanywhere.com/ is a good builder too, simpler but less pretty.

My wave 2 stuff has started arriving, and I'm really looking forward to the way this will change the game up. Armada was good before, but with such limited options there was only so much I could do, and only so many opposing fleets I needed to consider. Now there's going to be a lot more variety in fleet composition, which should also give more variety in how they play.

20151208_164727_zpsx967ivvb.jpg

20151208_164803_zpsjiauy1hp.jpg

Well if we're going to do that....

mj15t9jndesb.jpg

edited December 2015
    Challenge accepted.

Also I love how the final of the Worlds for Armada played out. That was hilarious given what I had read about the usefulness of squadrons. I bet that shut some people up.

Aegeri on
    My local meta has always been super heavy on squadrons, but then again we dont' have a lot of people who have 3 Glads to try the Gencon special. It was beautiful to watch those A-wings eat the Vic alive though.

Armada pro tip, do not freak the fuck out when buying an assault frigate because the base is curved. It's meant to be like that.

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Lykouragh wrote: »
    Well if we're going to do that....

mj15t9jndesb.jpg

Oh I just love that cute little Raider.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    Putting the heroes and villains ships on the bases were assholes. Squadron bases are not easy to put in it seems.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Sorry I didn't see this sooner, but Amazon has the set for $49.99 but sale ends in 6 hours.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1616619937/

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Played my first proper game today with Admiral Ackbar on Home One, 2xMC30 Frigates and 4x A-wing and 2x Y-Wing. It went pretty well overall, with me blowing up a raider, 2 tie stands and a victory class. Getting first player and being able to keep Ackbar away from the ISDII was key - Protip tractor beams only work on the Activation of the ship IF you're in range. I stayed inches out and when I wasn't it didn't matter as Ackbar blew the (badly kited) ISD to pieces with 10 (!!!) dice.

The one thing I am glad my opponent didn't do was hold back his VSD on hyperspace assault (IIRC). He jumped his raider and 3x ties in, but if it had been the VSD I feel it could have been serious trouble for Ackbar.

Overall great game and I prefer this game to X-Wing in a lot of ways.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I wanted to get into this. Even brought a starter set, though between the cost, the extra time to play it and the fact that one of my X wing stands broke I wasn't super impressed. Which is a shame because I think I could really enjoy it.

I wanted to get into this. Even brought a starter set, though between the cost, the extra time to play it and the fact that one of my X wing stands broke I wasn't super impressed. Which is a shame because I think I could really enjoy it.

Call up FFG customer support, and tell them about the broken stand issue. They'll (almost certainly) send you a new one.

Yeah. FFG are amazing for replacing bits and pieces or broken models.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Are they as reliable for replacing stuff in the UK? Considering their US based.

If they are I might have to try looking into getting it sorted and play some more if our groups X wing buzz ever drops down.

@Albino Bunny

Couldn't tell you, not being UK-based myself.

So after playing a fair amount of both Armada and X-Wing, I have to say that FFG have done extremely well knocking it out of the park with these two games. On the whole though, I actually prefer Armada to X-Wing and most of the reasons why are a difference in the games overall "sales" strategy. With Armada, I have all of Wave I and II, where I feel if I felt like building two lists (one for me and an opponent) I could ably do so without worrying about overlap in limited cards or similar. For example, I have enough with what I have to make two very effective fleets, which are very fun and in almost any conformation (while still being effective).

This isn't quite the case with X-Wing and much of this has to do with how "rare" certain cards are. Autothrusters, which are a must on anything "ace" like, are found only on the Starviper and that's a $32 model. This means if I want to build a few lists, which can play one another (theoretically) I need to decide what list gets those two cards and then all other ace style lists I would want are kind of crippled (as turrets beat aces to death, especially TLTs). On the other hand, why I think this is really an issue is because I can sense the frustration others have when they play my Han, Y-Wing Lists and because they have no interest in Scum and Villainy, they can't get these cards. Yeah you can beat a TLT Y-Wing list without Autothrusters with aces, but Autothrusters are a BIG increase in survivability.

Rarity of cards is compounded when you look at the fact some cards that arguably "fix" other ships, like the Tie Advanced are tied into ships that cost $160 AU. The Raider is a very very nice model, but it's also the source of the Tie Advanced X1 and Advanced Targeting Computer - both upgrades that make the Tie Advanced a substantially better ship (for 1 point!). Currently, while Armada has some expensive ships (Home One, Imperial Class Star Destroyer), there is nothing quite this expensive in the game. Possibly the only thing close to this would be the necessity of Q7 Phylon Tractor Beams for Imperials in an Admiral Ackbar Conga Line World - even then you only need 1 of these (and the Imperial Class Star Destroyer has it as it is).

Overall I feel Armada, while it's still fairly new in X-Wings defence on this point, gives me enough stuff that I can easily build lists without feeling I need to buy a lot of redundant ships and similar at the moment. On the other hand, if I want to run a nice 3 aces style thing for X-Wing, I know if I wanted it to be competitive in a store tournament or similar (it's easy to see what's commonly winning games right now) I would NEED another copy of Autothrusters. This means buying a $32 model that I am happy only having one of at the moment. There are several other examples, of which I feel Integrated Astromech will be far the most notable if there is only 1 in the T70 (or not). IA is basically required for the T65 X-Wing to be considered a good competitive ship again, but if there is only one copy that means buying 1 T-70 for every previous X-Wing you own!

That's more than a bit ridiculous.

It's really for this reason I've grown more fond of Armada, where (right now) it feels like I don't really need to buy second copies of some ships to have "essential" cards for another's function. This could change in time of course, because I am sure the early days of X-Wing weren't like this, but it is frustrating. It's also easily solvable and will stop people scalping certain cards on eBay for ridiculous prices (which is another thing I've noticed) if they would just release card "booster" packs. I'd gladly pay a few dollars for some more Autothrusters, Push the Limits and similar highly useful (but non-unique) cards. This will be especially good or important if they limit IA to only one copy in the T70 expansion.

So far my main complaint with Armada is I just want more of it and I feel there needs to be some new space objects released at some point (like how debris fields were added to X-Wing with the YT-2400 and Decimator). I definitely hope Armada doesn't go the route of X-Wing in getting "must have" cards in future, even if I do think some are getting close (Tractor Beams are amazing for Imperials, vastly improving the utility of Victory Class star destroyers especially).

• HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    A couple of buddies and I took some wave 2 ships for a spin this weekend.

http://i.imgur.com/vjT6Yma.jpg

Home One as an assault cruiser with Ackbar in command, along with two torpedo frigates, and Han and a couple of X wing squadrons flying screen against Vader in an ISD2 with an ISD1 for support. IG-88, Bossk, and Dengar were trying to capture Han by any means necessary.

Some bad ideas for a screen from me, caused Han to get pounded to bits by the bounty hunting scum, and the X-Wing squadrons were basically useless.

That being said, Torpedo frigates are MEAN. The two managed to take down the front shields on both ISD's, leaving them easy prey for Akbar and Home One.

Let me tell you, 7 red dice at range 3 is not to be discounted.

Moments before Vader met his end:

http://i.imgur.com/atpMe6j.jpg

Both ISD's were left as space dust, causing the bounty hunting scum to flee from the remaining Frigate and Home One.

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

I think my favorite part of the picture is the pile of Armada boxes in the corner.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    So, thanks to Lost in the G&T Secret Santa, and Mere_Immortal in our Secret Santa, as well as my parents, I have a fair fleet of ships.
    The Nebulon B, Corvette and Victory Star Destroyer from the starter
    Imperial Star Destroyer
    Home One
    2x MC30c Frigates
    Imperial Raider
    Rogues and Villains pack

Thanks to siblings, I also have a fair balance of Amazon gift cards.
    So, what should I be looking at as the next expansion? I was thinking a pack each of the Rebel and Imperial fighters, maybe a Gladiator Star Destroyer to balance out the numbers, or a Assault Frigate...
    Though, fighters are probably going on hold for a bit, seeing as how they're 75 bucks on Amazon, unless that's an error.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Fighter packs are sold out everywhere, so those prices are just people being silly. There will be more in stock soon, and then prices will go back to around $10.

As for purchases: fighter packs, definitely, when they go back to normal. You'll want at least 2 for each faction. The Gladiator with the Demolisher title is the most scary ship the Imperials have, so you'll want that, but I think without the title it's mediocre, so you only need one. The Assault Frigate is important for the Rebels, so you'll definitely want that, depending on how you play you might want 3.

You should also consider an extra Corvette and Nebulon expansion. They come with different upgrade cards, the Nebulon has some great titles, and the Corvette has my favourite rebel admiral. They're also the sort of ship you may want to field more than one of in a fleet.