As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A new [minecraft] thread? A new [minecraft] game? A new [minecraft] OP? What?

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    For what it's worth, I've been using the new Botania and it hasn't bugged me all that much. I have automated charcoal, which makes the endoflames pretty easy.

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I've been using the new Botania and it hasn't bugged me all that much. I have automated charcoal, which makes the endoflames pretty easy.

The change wasn't all that big a deal, its the hamfisted bullshit justifications and explanations that vazkii gave in response that put me firmly in the "Fuck Vazkii and Botania forever" camp. That whole "You people are having fun the wrong way, so I'm going to lock my mod down so you can only have fun the way I demand" thing

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

The change wasn't all that big a deal, its the hamfisted bullshit justifications and explanations that vazkii gave in response that put me firmly in the "Fuck Vazkii and Botania forever" camp. That whole "You people are having fun the wrong way, so I'm going to lock my mod down so you can only have fun the way I demand" thing

I agree, but the Regrowth modpack author has put so much work into the pack that I don't think I'm going to write it off just because it includes Botania.

• KeemossiKeemossi Registered User regular
    Really hyped about Thaumcraft 5, but I'd prefer putting together a mod pack with tech mods as well. None of the major tech mods seem to have any sort of 1.8 release. Meh.

The reworked golems look promising: https://youtube.com/watch?v=5Xd28UOZLS0. Not that the old golems aren't great as well.

I need to try out this Regrowth, seems like fun while waiting for the rest of the mods to go 1.8.

I don't really mind the Botania thing, but I disliked the idea of sunflower spam to begin with so eh. Some Botania's flowers (mana generation setups) have caused performance drops on our small servers in the past, so having the early game flowers rot away once they're past their usefulness is kind of nice. Removing the config option was a bit silly but.. I can see the reasoning :P

Keemossi wrote: »
    Really hyped about Thaumcraft 5, but I'd prefer putting together a mod pack with tech mods as well. None of the major tech mods seem to have any sort of 1.8 release. Meh.

The reworked golems look promising: https://youtube.com/watch?v=5Xd28UOZLS0. Not that the old golems aren't great as well.

I need to try out this Regrowth, seems like fun while waiting for the rest of the mods to go 1.8.

I don't really mind the Botania thing, but I disliked the idea of sunflower spam to begin with so eh. Some Botania's flowers (mana generation setups) have caused performance drops on our small servers in the past, so having the early game flowers rot away once they're past their usefulness is kind of nice. Removing the config option was a bit silly but.. I can see the reasoning :P

Thaumcraft is about the only major mod that's not skipping 1.8

1.9 minecraft is just around the corner and that's what most mod devs are gunning for.

Ah, that explains it. Going to be a slightly longer wait then, I guess.

Imagine if Minecraft was designed to be a moddable instead of mod devs having to jump through loops. As I understand, transition to 1.8+ kind of sucks.

• NoughtNought Registered User regular
    Anybody with coding experience know why the modding api hasn't materialised? I would imagine that in the time since they started promising it that it would have been possible to partly rebuild the game, for a company that makes as much money as Mojang.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
    edited November 2015
    Nought wrote: »
    Anybody with coding experience know why the modding api hasn't materialised? I would imagine that in the time since they started promising it that it would have been possible to partly rebuild the game, for a company that makes as much money as Mojang.

why waste their time on it when you have people making forge for free and doing/enabling amazing things?

Bonus points, shunting techsupport headaches to forge devs.

Buttcleft on

why waste their time on it when you have people making forge for free and doing/enabling amazing things?

Bonus points, shunting techsupport headaches to forge devs.

True

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.

That and while Mojang has/had a bunch of money, there are only a few people who actually work on Minecraft, and they're not really skilled enough to be rewriting the server to add a mod API. Seriously, they've made numerous changes that have made modding or adding a mod API harder.

Now that Microsoft owns them though, we'll likely see some changes, although I don't think they will be releasing a mod API (which is actually a good thing). Instead they're releasing dev tools to make Forge and mod development easier. Mojang releasing a mod api could actually be a bad thing. If it's not 100% Forge compatible, it's going to split the ecosystem in half.

edited November 2015
    Huh, Regrowth is kind of awesome. Upgrading the crops feels and manually making sand both feel like pointless busywork, but I'm enjoying the pack otherwise. It's a lot different from the usual progress.

Is there lava generated in Regrowth though? I've been digging for a good while and haven't found any.

e: Nevermind found some. Just a bit unlucky :P

Keemossi on
    Huh, Regrowth is kind of awesome. Upgrading the crops feels and manually making sand both feel like pointless busywork, but I'm enjoying the pack otherwise. It's a lot different from the usual progress.

Is there lava generated in Regrowth though? I've been digging for a good while and haven't found any.

If you need more there's lots of surface lava in regrowth.

LD50 wrote: »

If you need more there's lots of surface lava in regrowth.

I didn't encounter any, and I travelled quite a bit while looking for red sand. That's why I was wondering.

How does the mariculture crucible furnace work? FTB wiki says it must be surrounded by lava, while some setups seem to skip that.

It needs a heat source and lava is what works best. I didn't surround it by lava, but I put lava in a mariculture tank underneath it, with the ingot casts to the sides of the bottom furnace block.

I think it just needs a mariculture tank with lava in it as the block below. But you can also fuel it with coal and coke to make it hotter.

Ah, cool, I thought the furnace either needed to be surrounded by lava or was that it helped it keep heat. I just used coal as fuel, since I already had a small coal seed farm.

Finally got access to TC tools. Damn farming wood sucks without lumber axe, treecapitator or similar :|

How do I use crops to increase witchery altar power? I can't seem to plant them without the agricraft crop sticks, and it doesn't count them if planted like that.

How do I use crops to increase witchery altar power? I can't seem to plant them without the agricraft crop sticks, and it doesn't count them if planted like that.

Farmable stuff doesn't work. Use trees and bone meal growable stuff. There's kinda a limited amount of power that the altar can get from trees from each mod, so try to plant a variety from all the different modpacks. Spanish moss adds a lot, and it grows like vines. Plant it on the sides of the trees' leaf blocks and it will grow like weeds (it has to be collected with shears).

You can reduce the amount of power you need for a ritual by putting a white chalk circle around your cauldron. You can save yourself a lot of space by putting your circles and power consuming contraptions underneath your altar, so you don't have to navigate around a silly number of trees.

edited November 2015
    Ah, that kind of sucks. I don't think I can access chalks quite yet, as gypsum requires distillery which requires diamonds.

Yeah I did dig a cave. It's like a dirt layer and 3 blocks air high only though, since I wasn't sure how far underground the altar reaches.

e: Ah, got to 3k ish power fairly easily after all. Mycelium and shrooms, all the reward flowers, some cacti, pumpkins, melons, some trees and spanish moss. And water artichoke can still grow on water and counts, unlike most crops.

Keemossi on
    Ah, that kind of sucks. I don't think I can access chalks quite yet, as gypsum requires distillery which requires diamonds.

Yeah I did dig a cave. It's like a dirt layer and 3 blocks air high only though, since I wasn't sure how far underground the altar reaches.

e: Ah, got to 3k ish power fairly easily after all. Mycelium and shrooms, all the reward flowers, some cacti, pumpkins, melons, some trees and spanish moss. And water artichoke can still grow on water and counts, unlike most crops.

You're going to want to dig it deeper. There's rituals that require 4 blocks unobstructed above.

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular

The way to turn cracked sand into sand is to use a super crafting frame. Place it behind some water, select your bucket, and hold right-click, which will fill the bucket and then craft the sand.

Crops can be upgraded by just making a very long line (or spiral, to keep them in the 7x7 range of a sprinkler) of crosscrops and letting them grow. They'll level up rather slowly, but no input required.

You can make sand with the elemental crops too. I usually have one of those crafting tables that have their own inventories and remembers recipes and fill them with the essences and the recipes for all the interesting materials they can make, so I can just shift click boatloads of whatever out of them.

Garthor wrote: »

The way to turn cracked sand into sand is to use a super crafting frame. Place it behind some water, select your bucket, and hold right-click, which will fill the bucket and then craft the sand.

Crops can be upgraded by just making a very long line (or spiral, to keep them in the 7x7 range of a sprinkler) of crosscrops and letting them grow. They'll level up rather slowly, but no input required.

Heh thanks, I pretty much figured that out a few days ago. Super crafting frame is still annoying, though less so when I noticed I don't have to switch away the water bucket to click the frame. I'd probably misclicked earlier and thought clicking the frame with water bucket just places the water source in front of the frame. So I was crafting sand like: click water with bucket, switch to another item, click frame :P

I've done 3x3 fields for crops, where I initially place them in U shape for raising the stats. Once they're 10/10/10 I just use the same field for farming, unless it's something I need lots of like coal. I need to replant the crops once or twice in the process though, but it saves space. It's not an issue now with hammer, but since my farms are underground I wasn't too keen on digging room for big fields with a flint pickaxe.

And yeah, I've all the elemental crops so sand and such are not an issue anymore. I've done a few of the strong infusion stone recipes. Right now I'd really like to get the diamond seeds, which needs a lot of charcoal. I'd do a treefarm with Botania if Rune of Greed didn't need a diamond.

Ah crap, I need to do my witchery cave all over again to get enough free space above. I'm not too familiar with the mod, I did do the (insanely overpowered) teleportation infusion once in an another modpack, but that was in open air and beelined with pretty much all resources already available.

@Keemossi

Easy way to get tons of wood is super jungle trees.

Plant jungle saplings 2x2, it'll grow to a massive tree, easily a stack or more of logs each time, and usually drops enough saplings to replant + get a surplus. Not always, but usually.

You can easily mutate other saplings into jungle trees if you have the alchemy enhanced botania mana pool thing.

LD50 wrote: »
    You can easily mutate other saplings into jungle trees if you have the alchemy enhanced botania mana pool thing.

otherwise just mutandis until you get one, then grow normal ones until you get enough saplings. shouldn't take more than 2-3 plantings.

bonus points, single and super jungle trees are bonemealable.

Yeah, I'm fairly sure I have all the sapling types by now. I had to use a few stacks of mutandis to get ember moss, got all kinds of stuff while at it.

I'm having fairly big fps drops near my smelting / tinkering area. I *think* it's the BC pipes. It's like some wooden engines and a few pipes to move lava and water around mostly, but at times it's nearly as bad as some of my more ambitious projects. Optifine on client might help, I guess?

edited November 2015
    @Keemossi

Easy way to get tons of wood is super jungle trees.

Plant jungle saplings 2x2, it'll grow to a massive tree, easily a stack or more of logs each time, and usually drops enough saplings to replant + get a surplus. Not always, but usually.

In Regrowth, actually, the Autumn saplings (they're all the same, just different leaves) seem to be by far the best choice for wood. They're basically Oak trees only they grow into huge trees as often as Oak trees grow into small trees. Drop a solid plot of them and Lumber Axe the whole mess down every 20 minutes or so. You need a Horn of the Canopy to get rid of all (or most, you can't reach the very top) of the leaves so the logs can drop down, but you'll get tons of wood and a huge surplus of saplings. Very little effort.

Garthor on
    edited November 2015
    Thanks for the tips! I tried out the jungle tree, got lots of wood from a single 2x2 but they seem to drop very few saplings. Took me a few small trees' worth to get even those 4 for a big tree. I got 6 back, but it took a while since Horn of Canopy doesn't reach that high. Those autumn trees though, they drop *lots* of saplings with little effort, so that seems like the way to go.

For the wood farming I crafted a lumber axe with bronze head/rod, obsidian plate and paper binding. Added a few more obsidian plates, redstone and moss. Pretty much unbreakable axe that's reasonably fast as well <3

And yeah, added OptiFine, it helped with the fps near my crafting zone. Seriously, it should be included in every pack :P

Keemossi on
    Well, it took me a lot of work, but I finally did something pretty cool with Botania:

bdc15b47-673e-4196-ae51-1a5686f1229c_zpsdghxdgsv.png

325fb0e6-e847-4dea-9bf3-0cfb7d414c54_zpsa1hcrbce.png

Yes, that's right. That is a fully automated Thaumcraft Golem-powered Cake Farm.

I had originally considered automating the production of hydroangeas just to spite Vazkii, but this works too.

edited November 2015
    Ha, I've done pretty similar golem cake factory earlier. Golems beat MFR factories any day by being way, way less boring. Can't wait for TC5 golems.

How would you automate hydroangea replacement, out of curiosity? Mostly thinking about replacing the dead shrubs.

I got the charcoals I needed, really effortless with the autumn saplings. While waiting for the saplings to grow I build an auto furnace setup to process the wood and whatever else I need. 4 furnaces powered by endo/exoflame, mostly. It's been a really long time since I've bothered with BC pipes, and I've never seen any need to use exoflame. I like how Regrowth makes less powerful options relevant early on, when you'd usually just do TC infernal furnace or electric furnace of some sort.
    1m4dyAz.png

It's super laggy though, probably. But I finally did the endoflame automation with pressure plate instead of timer, and now I wonder why I ever did it any other way.

Keemossi on
    edited November 2015
    Well, it took me a lot of work, but I finally did something pretty cool with Botania:

-snip-

Yes, that's right. That is a fully automated Thaumcraft Golem-powered Cake Farm.

I had originally considered automating the production of hydroangeas just to spite Vazkii, but this works too.

Spiteful anger. The best kind :)

What mod is the purple/pink crystals and laserbeam cubes from?

Nought on
    On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
    edited November 2015
    That's Botania. If it isn't flowers, then it's probably pink or anime reference.

I'm a bit lost with the magic mods. On Botania I've yet to do the quests for sin runes and blood memento, but neither seem to lead anywhere. I could just go ahead and do the alfheim stuff but feels like there should be a quest for all that somewhere? Also from what I read you need treefyd seed to unlock Thaumcraft stuff, is that supposed to be from a quest as well? Because I just traded some from a cow.

e: Oh, nevermind. Some more Botania quests appeared. I don't know what I did to unlock them, maybe getting the first emerald was enough?

Keemossi on
    Hah! There's a new flower in Botania (well, new for me) that eats the dead dayblooms/nightshades/hydroangeas. So.. automated petal production -> automated nightshade/hydroangea production -> Rannuncarpus and that new flower. Probably not worth the effort since nightshades and hydroangeas are super inefficient, unless the new flower is really good. Could be fun to build anyway.

That's kind of precisely the sort of thing Vazkii wants you to do, so...

So.. to spite Vazkii you'd manually craft hundreds of hydroangeas and keep replacing them? That'll show her!

edited November 2015
    I mean the intent of making passive flowers wither was to force people to do something more interesting than create a giant tower of Hydroangeas. And then people threw a hissy fit about it (because the Minecraft modding community is literally babies) so Vazkii removed the config option to disable the withering. Creating a system to automate the creation and placement of passive flowers would be an okay result, by her standards.

Incidentally, some other people have made a mod of Botania that seems to solely be the exact same thing only with the passive withering disabled. See previous statement about the Minecraft modding community.

Garthor on
    edited November 2015
    Garthor wrote: »
    I mean the intent of making passive flowers wither was to force people to do something more interesting than create a giant tower of Hydroangeas. And then people threw a hissy fit about it (because the Minecraft modding community is literally babies) so Vazkii removed the config option to disable the withering. Creating a system to automate the creation and placement of passive flowers would be an okay result, by her standards.

Incidentally, some other people have made a mod of Botania that seems to solely be the exact same thing only with the passive withering disabled. See previous statement about the Minecraft modding community.

For the most part, was a appropriate response. She declared no one can have fun unless she specifically approves of the method, and specifically altered the mod to punish people, and the worst part of all was the hamfisted bullshit justifications and arguments for it.

Basically it boils down to this. You've made a big fancy power gen before? Perhaps a huge array of magmatic dynamos, perhaps powered by a MFR lava fab? Or perhaps a huge field of solar panels? Or maybe you just fully automated the creation of the best possible delightful meals to power culinary generators?

Imagine doing that two, three, eight times. Eventually to get on to other projects, or other things in general, you're going to eventually declare you've done it the fancy way enough times, and build yourself a big cheap big reactor to provide all your power.

Same thing with botania's mana, everyone makes complex mana gen systems at least a few times.. but because of the nature of modded minecraft, that is..frequent restarts via new maps or different modpacks or what have you, eventually you get tired of spending time on complex builds and you just want to set up something big and simple so you can explore other aspects of the mod or what have you. You've earned it, you've done everything from automated charcoal and endoflames to automated cake eating flowers, well a sane person would say you've earned taking a break and just producing like 50 dayblooms or hydrogeas, but to Vazkii no.. you are not allowed to, because you must do everything exactly as she demands, for there is no other path except the path the godqueen deems acceptable, and she will alter her mod to punish those who try it.

If she had just said "I'm streamlining early game, so passives are only a temporary option now" People would have been annoyed, but no where near the outrage or anger compared to hamfisted justifications and excuses.

Buttcleft on
    So you think Vazkii has a bad attitude?

Oh my.

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    My biggest problem is that I hate the way the complex builds look. If I so much use a hopper, it's only buried so deep that I will never ever see it.

The whole reason I even started using botania is because a nice pond lined with hydroangeras or a few dayblooms were nice, pretty, and passive, things I could plant and then come back to ever three or four in-game days to craft something at. Or I'd set up a hydroangera pond next to my garden to power the growth flower, or put enough dayblooms by a wall to keep the furnace powering flower burning. I wasn't powering massive fields of things, but I also was only using passive flowers because that's all that suited my playstyle.

I'm not super upset about the changes made to the mod, but the changes have made the mod one that I no longer consider worth using.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.