As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2016 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    VGguy49 wrote: »
    So I obviously don't even know if I will be able to go to PAX East yet, since badges aren't on sale yet, but I was wondering if anyone wanted to do an unofficial Smash U or 3DS AMIIBO tournament (if console freeplay has Smash U). I know people wanted to do it last year, but it was never properly organized. I wouldn't be able to organize something like that myself, but I was wondering if someone else wanted to. Also should I make a separate post for this?
    Yeah this is worth making a separate thread about.

That packs badge looks totally legit, where can I get one of those?
    I am sure someone can make one for the low low price of all your dollars.

• CoanCoan TorontoRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    That packs badge looks totally legit, where can I get one of those?
    I am sure someone can make one for the low low price of all your dollars.

I would, especially since this would qualify as getting them before you could buy them!

but there is no sale of badges via the forum.

Speaking of badges and sales, a question from the pax reddit sorta. There is no indication of the move to 3 singles and no weekend badges for east as of yet, correct? Just making sure my answer over there is as accurate as possible without waiting a week and/or shaking down people for info over twitter/facebook.

Posting on the phorum again like its 1999
  • PurpleBekPurpleBek Manchester, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Well, now the dates from bcec are gone, we know nothing (for certain) about East apart from it will be next year in Boston...

pax%20sig.png
    I am pretty sure that those are still the dates, even moved from the BCEC calendar. I am not, however, an official source of that information.

There has as of yet been no information about removing 3-day badges for east. It would not surprise me though if that were the case.

• InfiniteNuLLInfiniteNuLL Registered User regular
    I believe it was stated they were trying to move away from the 3-days as they found that quite a number of the badges were not used for all 3 days and people attending on specific days was more common.

FF14 - Failia Zebonaiza, Behemoth Server, FC: 404 Guild Not Found
    PAX East Attendee - 2015, 2016
    I believe it was stated they were trying to move away from the 3-days as they found that quite a number of the badges were not used for all 3 days and people attending on specific days was more common.
    Indeed, but it's not official until they say so for sure ;)

• Jigglypuff510Jigglypuff510 Registered User regular
    Is /r/PAXPassExchange reliable of I don't get them when their first announced I probably will but I will literally do anything to get three days

TbjrD9q.png
    So I obviously don't even know if I will be able to go to PAX East yet, since badges aren't on sale yet, but I was wondering if anyone wanted to do an unofficial Smash U or 3DS AMIIBO tournament (if console freeplay has Smash U). I know people wanted to do it last year, but it was never properly organized. I wouldn't be able to organize something like that myself, but I was wondering if someone else wanted to. Also should I make a separate post for this?

I don't own a 3ds or wii u but I have before and Smash U is in LFG room and extremely popular in freeplay and I'm up for money matches

TbjrD9q.png
  • VGguy49VGguy49 Registered User regular

I don't own a 3ds or wii u but I have before and Smash U is in LFG room and extremely popular in freeplay and I'm up for money matches

Again it would be for people to fight each other's Amiibo and to trade, and I don't know if money would be involved, ESPECIALLY if I was organizing it (in that case none would be involved because Im not old enough to have money to give away lol)

Im gonna make a post asking about it now

Wishes he could change his username
  • smorggiesmorggie Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Wow all this info is great :) one quick note, to ride the T in Boston it is $2.65 (it used to be $2.50 but they increased it recently)

Is /r/PAXPassExchange reliable of I don't get them when their first announced I probably will but I will literally do anything to get three days
    Any 3rd party will have the same pitfalls. They cannot police it any more than craigslist as far as validity of the sales go. I'm sure there are the same percentages of scams and legit traders there as with any other place.

edited November 2015
    smorggie wrote: »
    Wow all this info is great :) one quick note, to ride the T in Boston it is $2.65 (it used to be $2.50 but they increased it recently)
    when this guide was originally written, it was $2 :P damned increased pricing. I always just get the week pass. Thanks for the update, it's been changed in the guide.

zerzhul on
  • KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    As an addendum to that: Try to get a CharlieCard. Knocks the price of the T down from $2.65 to $2.10, and again, they are stored value.Or get a weekly link pass, unlimited rides on bus/subway for 7 days (literally 168 hours from time of purchase) for $19.

JfqWFk8.png
  • KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    Kilonum wrote: »
    As an addendum to that: Try to get a CharlieCard. Knocks the price of the T down from $2.65 to $2.10, and again, they are stored value.Or get a weekly link pass, unlimited rides on bus/subway for 7 days (literally 168 hours from time of purchase) for $19.

Oh man that 7 day ride thing is like the best thing ever. I buy it every time. One tip though - don't put the pass anywhere near anything electronic. Last time I had to spend an hour getting a new one since I killed the magnetism

• jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    Does anyone remember the credit card type charlie card that pax gave out at the very first PAX East? It's the NFC card? I still have that and use it every PAX, well, every time I go into Boston too, hehe! Do they even make those type of cards anymore?

• LahtnesorLahtnesor Registered User regular
    Hello,

I am about to start making a costume and as part of it I was going to have a drone. Are these allowed? If allowed, are the allowed to be flown inside the main floor (not the exhibit floor)

• ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    If you plan on flying it around the convention I highly doubt it. But either way that would be a question for pax_questions@paxsite.com

• GrillerdudeGrillerdude Registered User new member
    No. They will not be allowed inside the BCEC.

• SepiothSepioth Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    jdixon1972 wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the credit card type charlie card that pax gave out at the very first PAX East? It's the NFC card? I still have that and use it every PAX, well, every time I go into Boston too, hehe! Do they even make those type of cards anymore?

Yes they still have them .. the credit card style (NFC) cards are the normal Charlie Cards used everyday.

Source: I use one every day :)

The Paper style ones with the mag strip are called Charlie Tickets.

Sepioth on
    4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    Sepioth wrote: »
    jdixon1972 wrote: »

Yes they still have them .. the credit card style (NFC) cards are the normal Charlie Cards used everyday.

Source: I use one every day :)

The Paper style ones with the mag strip are called Charlie Tickets.

yeah, the cards are typically what people who take the t all the time use, though they are a bit harder to track down now. when the mbta first switched over to the charlie card system, those cards were EVERYWHERE to make it easier for people to transition to the new system. now that we've all gotten used to the cards, you usually have to go to certain t stations to get a plastic charlie card if you need one (i'm sure those locations are listed on the mbta site).

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Best one to get them at (and only one I can get mine at due to being disabled) is Downtown Crossing

EDIT: And here is the info on where (and when) you can get them http://www.mbta.com/fares_and_passes/charlie/?id=5592

Kilonum on
    JfqWFk8.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The first East they actually sent Charlie Cards with our passes. It was pretty cool, although probably a bit overkill since I doubt everyone used it.

YL9WnCY.png
  • abdoooooabdooooo Registered User regular
    I'm planning on going to PAX East 2016 with my buddy. We're really interested in the tournaments and would love to see/play in a Mario Kart 64 Battle Mode tournament. I read that there are different departments for tournaments and that the actual list doesn't come out until closer to the actual event. Who gets to decide what tournaments will be played? Can we, the attendees, offer to host one? If so, how?

• InfiniteNuLLInfiniteNuLL Registered User regular
    abdooooo wrote: »
    I'm planning on going to PAX East 2016 with my buddy. We're really interested in the tournaments and would love to see/play in a Mario Kart 64 Battle Mode tournament. I read that there are different departments for tournaments and that the actual list doesn't come out until closer to the actual event. Who gets to decide what tournaments will be played? Can we, the attendees, offer to host one? If so, how?

There are some officially sanctioned tournaments that are hosted by the game developers (like there was a Evolve and Halo tournaments this year) and then there are some unofficial ones that are hosted by some of the attendees. Unoffocial ones may be listed on the forums here. the official ones are usually on the event list when it's finally up.

FF14 - Failia Zebonaiza, Behemoth Server, FC: 404 Guild Not Found
    PAX East Attendee - 2015, 2016
  • KnownDominanceKnownDominance Registered User regular
    Great post! Thank you for doing these! Anyways, noticed a small error in the part about weapons policies

It says the link is for the PAX South Website when in actuality it is the EAST.paxsite.com website. Besides that, fantastic once again!

All Costume Weapons MUST adhere to the official policy described on the pax south website
    http://east.paxsite.com/safety-and-security#weapons-check-policies

I am intrested in hosting an unofficial smash 4 tournament if I get Friday badges

TbjrD9q.png
  • JonoseelJonoseel Here Be Unicorns and Dragons Boston, MARegistered User regular
    April 22-24 2016 is officially confirmed
    Source: Hotel link for exhibitors.

Pax Eat Stuff: 3 Day Badges[]; BYOC Badge[]; A Roof to stay under[X]; A ride of some sort[].
  • a fraking toastera fraking toaster W1TRK Registered User regular
    on sale go go go

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Here's the link: https://t.co/beukNtEn6U

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • emporium32emporium32 Registered User new member
    Hey guys-
    I had a question about exhibiting/vending at Pax East. I had been told previously that only industry companies developing games were allowed to vend, but after attending last year and seeing indie designers and artists such as the Blonde Swan, Volante Design, and a bunch of t-shirt companies there, I'm hoping that the rules have changed. I've sent an email about this, but just keep getting the same response, so my question is- what's the deal? Who do I have to know to apply to sell there? (My husband and I make jewelry and accessories, most of which is inspired by pop culture/geekery.) I hate to keep asking the same question over and over again, but I'm being told that there is a policy in place, which is obviously not being enforced. It's pretty frustrating.
    Thanks!

emporium32 wrote: »
    Hey guys-
    I had a question about exhibiting/vending at Pax East. I had been told previously that only industry companies developing games were allowed to vend, but after attending last year and seeing indie designers and artists such as the Blonde Swan, Volante Design, and a bunch of t-shirt companies there, I'm hoping that the rules have changed. I've sent an email about this, but just keep getting the same response, so my question is- what's the deal? Who do I have to know to apply to sell there? (My husband and I make jewelry and accessories, most of which is inspired by pop culture/geekery.) I hate to keep asking the same question over and over again, but I'm being told that there is a policy in place, which is obviously not being enforced. It's pretty frustrating.
    Thanks!
    pax_sales@paxsite.com is the only avenue I know of

• TheOtakusLoungeTheOtakusLounge Registered User new member
    Hey I just registered for 3 days a bit ago for myself and my fiance but didn't know he wanted to do omegathon and didn't know what it was at the time, so I ended up saying "no" to being a part of it, but I was wondering if there was a way to change that so that we can go to it? I tried to contact customer service, but it was down so if anyone can help on here that'd be awesome.

• LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Give it a day or so, but I THINK you can log on to the reed website to change any toggles you might have applied (usually stuff like omegathon and being alerted if you want BYOC tix)

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
    I don't think there's any reed website you can log into. Do you mean showclix?

Anyhow, yeah, you can go to your my tickets on showclix and look there, or email pax_questions@paxsite.com for more information. Also the person booking the tickets is who would be selected for the omegathon, so if you registered and paid, you would be the one entered, not anyone else you are getting tickets for.

• LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I meant showclix. My brain died and I couldn't remember the proper name.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • EyeoftheGraeaeEyeoftheGraeae Registered User new member
    Question... every year scalpers 'win' even with Penny Arcade's attempt at making sales 'randomly timed'.
    Is there anyway to void the tickets being sold on ebay or report the listings? Every year there are tons of tickets for 400+ dollars on there while people miss out on getting the chance to go. There needs to be a better system implemented. Is there anything that can be done?

• InkRavenInkRaven Registered User regular
    Any advice for someone who wants to try and get into tabletop roleplaying games? the biggest issue I have in general is that my boyfriend does not look like the typical gamer, people often think he is a security guard. Any ideas to make things less awkward for him as well?

• mtalmormtalmor Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I thought the general assumption was that if you're willing to shell out all this money for tickets and travel to a convention about gaming, that you were a gamer... We have a cop in our gaming group so looking like a security guard isn't really a factor for geekery. That really shouldn't be an issue... and you can always get a gaming shirt for him at that booth that makes them on the spot, quick-change and viola, instant-gamer-look? :-P

Also for advice for tabletop RPG's... D&D is usually the gateway game, and there are often multiple 4-hour sample games you can sign up for that give you a good rundown of how the whole thing with characters and dice works. Beyond that tabletop RPG's just rely on how well you can act out a character you make up and how well you can make that character interact with the other characters and the world, which is all acting 101.

Someone else might be able to give you more detail about how to sign up for sample games. I vaguely remember just wandering into a room that was set aside for it and signing up on the spot.

mtalmor on
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    InkRaven wrote: »
    Any advice for someone who wants to try and get into tabletop roleplaying games? the biggest issue I have in general is that my boyfriend does not look like the typical gamer, people often think he is a security guard. Any ideas to make things less awkward for him as well?
    My buddy and I have been to X-Wing tournaments and definitely don't fit in with the stereotypical look, we kind of looked more like skaters/metalheads. The stereotypes of a gaming store were all present: stinky young teenagers playing some Japanese card game, tubs of Odereater up in the corners of the basement, Comic Book Guy type, just the basic stereotypes. I'm not going to lie: we got a lot of weird looks when we first came in. It felt like people were thinking "Why are they here?" and it was a bit intimidating. After we broke out our ships and cards for the tournament and started talking to folks, everyone was super cool. It was a 7-hour day and everyone got along with everyone else. It was a blast.

What is important here is to want to play. Seriously, that is all that you need. Especially at PAX, most people are pretty cool about having others play with them. That's what most of us want to begin with: we want someone to play with. Just walk around the area, find something that looks appealing, then start asking questions and see if you can jump into a game.

Another good suggestion for tabletop is the Pre-PAX Game Night held at the Westin the Thursday before PAX. A lot of people show up and everyone is drifting from table to table. We had our X-Wing gear with us and had rotations of people jumping in to play and/or watch. We even got invited to some other pretty cool games that we'd never tried. That Sunday night, some people were totally cool with letting me jump into their game of Lords of Waterdeep, even though I had no idea what was going on.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.