As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rise of the Planet of the Tomb Raiders

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    That is some pretty damn near universal praise

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    The most negative review I read basically said "it improves on TR2013 in a bunch of ways but doesn't really fix any of the problems with that game". If your pitch is "like the last game but a bit better", I am 100% sold. Now for the interminable wait for release (please don't be near Deus Ex).

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The main knock against it I'm seeing is the story is way less interesting than the first game

And I didn't like that game's story at all, so woof

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    D'toid was saying that although they have a lot more options for puzzle platforming and stealth, the game still seems really geared toward Uncharted-esque action-combat instead, which is disappointing. But the fact that that other stuff is more prevalent is really encouraging. I don't need much from the story, personally, as long as the gameplay is tight.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I just hope they've cut the QTEs down by a lot

Playing the first game again recently reminded me that I think they're really bad at QTEs

In particular, the one where they don't tell you what the button is until you have a half-second left to push it, fuck that one

And they do it ALL THE TIME

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I just hope they've cut the QTEs down by a lot

Playing the first game again recently reminded me that I think they're really bad at QTEs

In particular, the one where they don't tell you what the button is until you have a half-second left to push it, fuck that one

And they do it ALL THE TIME

Yeah, I'd agree, those were a pretty big weak point for the game. In theory, they wouldn't have been bad--the occasional scripted event can be fun so long as the prompts feel natural and fair. Tomb Raider's did not.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I had basically no complaints about TR 2013 so

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    I kind of agree that QTEs were pretty miscued in TR 2013. I don't mind QTEs in general, but I appreciate that there are some games that are better at incorporating them in a way that is engaging (God of War) and some that are decidedly bad at using them effectively.

It looks like most folks in here seem to agree that a badly cued or timed QTE is when you are enjoying the fuck out of an awesome cutscene or sequence but don't expect a QTE in the middle of it, which either pulls you out of the moment OR results in horrible death, in which case you are then waiting on the QTE to appear rather than enjoy the sequence. TR 2013 definitely had more than a couple of those.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    I am delighted to hear good reviews of the sequel, though I'm pretty sure I would've bought it even if reviews were lukewarm. I'll be picking it up within the next week or so. With this and the GW2 expansion that just came out and SC2: Legacy of the Void, progress will be slow. Adulting sucks, do not adult.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    The QTEs are why I think people that fall on the Tomb Raider side of the Tomb Raider v. Uncharted debate are crazy

Cause when there's crazy hectic action setpieces going on, Uncharted usually lets you actually play them like any other sequence, and in Tomb Raider they take control away and you just watch them with the occasional button prompt

Different strokes, I guess

But I'm hoping this game expands on the things that made that first game unique, namely environmental puzzles and a much more open "pick how you play" design, rather than aping more successful franchises

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I mean

Most of the 'crazy hectic' portions in uncharted you 'play' by holding up on the stick and pushing jump

its not really very different from what tomb raider does

I do remember the wolf QTE being straight up broken but I can't remember how

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Tomb Raider doesn't really have anything like the collapsing building or truck chase from Uncharted 2, which is what I'm talking about

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Tomb Raider doesn't really have anything like the collapsing building or truck chase from Uncharted 2, which is what I'm talking about

The truck chase is pretty unique, thats true

the collapsing building and like, chateau fire, etc etc are all, to me, variations of "push forward then push jump"

which, don't get me wrong, is awesome

but is in essentially the same category as QTEs

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    That 360 version looks real good

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The Verge review said the setpieces largely drop QTEs in favor of using the regular control scheme

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I quite liked the "press x to catch yourself from falling" and the "hammer the button to open the door" qtes, because they felt short and natural, and kinda fit with the idea that doing anything on that island was a bloody struggle.

They had like one or two moments where they kinda just put things into slow motion and allowed you control, and I wish there had been a little more of that.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Tomb Raider's QTEs were okay, I thought

I at least appreciated that the button prompts more or less tied into buttons that made sense with the rest of the control scheme

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ5_cJCK6h0
    This game looks gooooooooooooooooooooooood (this is Giant Bomb's Quick Look)

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Kind of quietly losing my mind over here over how insanely good this game looks visually

It is ASTOUNDING

The environments all look great, the animations are fantastic, the lighting is top-notch

They got this running on a 360?!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Yeah, this looks pretty good. I don't know when I'll get to pick it up, but maybe I should...play through the 2013 game again

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I have this ready to play, but I think this is going to be a night game for me for atmosphere's sake.

• Options
    I am installing RIGHT THIS VERY MOMENT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Woo! I got the last copy of the 360 version at the store
    YEAR OF THE BOW WILL CONTINUE

• Options
    this game is gorgeous and owns owns owns

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    I'm digging the hell out of this
    I dig the Metroid sort of element they added to the gear

But holy shit Lara is just so cold all the time, and it makes me feel cold, oh gosh I want to die

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Made it to the first camp-site, this game is eye-wateringly beautiful.

• Options
    Does anyone know if the stuff the guy sells in the supply shack is stuff I can get eventually by just playing through, or is it exclusive to the shop?

• Options
    Best Laid Plans
    Eat it, bear!

Also, it took me a few tries to kill every one in that first section with stealth, but man it feels good to be back into this series.

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the stuff the guy sells in the supply shack is stuff I can get eventually by just playing through, or is it exclusive to the shop?

I deffo found a crafting tool after not being able to afford it in the shop, though it was considerably later.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Does anyone translate/analyze that? What content do they find questionable?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Does anyone translate/analyze that? What content do they find questionable?

That the entire game is about The Prophet

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Oh.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    That's apparently only speculation, no reason is given

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    You're following the trail of a past figure referred to as the Prophet, but there's no indication it's Mohammed or even that he and his people were Muslim
    They're a distinct fictional sect but they seem more Eastern Orthodox than anything, with a healthy dose of Christian mysticism

• Options
    Graham how is the 360 version

• Options
    Far as I'm concerned the last-gen versions can march off a cliff. No TressFX, no sale. Most important technology of the decade!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Far as I'm concerned the last-gen versions can march off a cliff. No TressFX, no sale. Most important technology of the decade!

But I dont have an xbox one

• Options
    Then you don't deserve this Realistic Hair Simulator back there in the past.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I really wish I could switch to Lara's cool leather jacket outfit

But it's too cold!

It's not hoodie weather out!

6F32U1X.png