As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CF Secret Santa 2015

• RendRend Registered User regular
    I have good news and bad news for my santee.

The good news is that your FORUM MANDATED HOLIDAY CHEER PACKAGE is on its way.
    The bad news is that it may arrive at two different times.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »
    I have good news and bad news for my santee.

The good news is that your FORUM MANDATED HOLIDAY CHEER PACKAGE is on its way.
    The bad news is that it may arrive at two different times.

Oh man, what lucky bastard's getting a time machine for Christmas?

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Whoa! Santa! I'm guessing you like A-wings?!

Post coming later as I need to make dinner.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Made it home!

This big honkin' box was waiting for me when I got home:
    icausclzexbn.jpg

Opened it a bit to find...
    713f3b14hxvz.jpg
    A nicely wrapped box from Amazon!

Why yes, yes, I do like Star Wars, @The Brayster!

I opened up the box (and pulled out the other, unwrapped items):
    549ubnt7fwu8.jpg

I am just floored! You've completely outdone yourself for a second year in a row, @The Brayster! Thank you so much!

Can't wait to get this stuff to the table and spend all my money on more spaceships

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Made it home!

This big honkin' box was waiting for me when I got home:
    <snip>

Opened it a bit to find...
    <snip>
    A nicely wrapped box from Amazon!

Why yes, yes, I do like Star Wars, @The Brayster!

I opened up the box (and pulled out the other, unwrapped items):
    <snip>

I am just floored! You've completely outdone yourself for a second year in a row, @The Brayster! Thank you so much!

Can't wait to get this stuff to the table and spend all my money on more spaceships

Yeah nice job. You pretty much gave him a bill ;-)

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      edited November 2015
      Speaking of bill trinen,

There I was, minding my own business when I heard a noise, and my children looked to see what it was:
      qufd8extqao7.jpg

A package... from Washington!? With wrapped gifts inside:
      xf8o8wppb4is.jpg

And a weathered note, no doubt describing the journey someone took to deliver said package.
      nv97sw32441v.jpg

And here am I reading the note:
      ifnub6eh8skj.jpg

A very awesome story that put a smile on my face. It was an adventure that starred many of PA Forums' finest!

Onward to the loot:
      q9bweb7udsfh.jpg

A dice bag. As a D&Der, Warhammererererer, and overall nerd, a nice dice bag is always welcome. I'm looking forward to retiring my 15 yr old crown royal bag.

And what is this?! A game that complements the aforementioned story (or is that backward?!):
      e31oeh2wvpw9.jpg

An amazing find! I rolled high on the loot table.

@MNC Dover You made my return to the CF Secret Santa just as awesome as I remember them being. Thank you thank you for such a cool gift. A game I don't have that I have heard wonderful things about! I'm excited to play this over Thanksgiving break.

More importantly, thanks for being an awesome forumer. When I saw your name on the end of the letter I was hoping to get some of Reggie's hair, but I got the next best thing ;-) Thanks, man. Awesome Santa :biggrin:

Final loot shot:
      86dil7grqob4.jpg

TimFiji on
      • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
        I like that I: Killed someone, and was later killed. How very like me. ;P
        That's some amazing fun writing, Dover. Seriously. Glad you guys are making me put my thinking cap on for these. <3

GiftGet4b_zpsb34314b9.gif

So I get home from work today, and it's been a dreary, cold, rainy day. Lo and behold, there's a box on my porch! It's quite a large box, but extremely light! I'm confused, as once again, I didn't order anything from Amazon. It must be from Santa!
        8BZW5TI.jpg

I bring the slightly damp box inside and open my camera app. What could be inside a box this big and light?!
        nSz17h1.jpg

A box in a box? Interesting, but it seems a bit odd of Amazon to do that. But wait, what's that under the bubble wrap?
        DizvHUI.jpg

It's a K-Wing! I've heard of this ship, and it's huge for a small sized ship in X-Wing! Looks quite intimidating and powerful. I'll have to definitely work this into my next squad.

So what's in the box? I see it says Fantasy Flight.
        MX0RBMu.jpg

I read the side of the box which says "Qty 6 sets". That can't be right...
        GilfEte.jpg

It is right! Oh my goodness, so many A-Wings! I could actually run all of them at once for a crazy swarm squad!
        Here's the full haul!
        FzHBiet.jpg

Wow! Thank you Santa! I may actually play tomorrow night as well so it'll see use quickly!
        Cross posting between CF and G&T SS threads as I'm unsure which is responsible for this package of awesome.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
        I am trying to figure out how it is a K wing! I do not see that shape at all!

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
          You have to look at it head-on and turn it 90 degrees on end

TimFiji wrote: »
          I am trying to figure out how it is a K wing! I do not see that shape at all!

K-Wing.jpg

4dm3dwuxq302.png
        • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
          TimFiji wrote: »
          Speaking of bill trinen,

There I was, minding my own business when I heard a noise, and my children looked to see what it was:
          qufd8extqao7.jpg

A package... from Washington!? With wrapped gifts inside:
          xf8o8wppb4is.jpg

And a weathered note, no doubt describing the journey someone took to deliver said package.
          nv97sw32441v.jpg

And here am I reading the note:
          ifnub6eh8skj.jpg

A very awesome story that put a smile on my face. It was an adventure that starred many of PA Forums' finest!

Onward to the loot:
          q9bweb7udsfh.jpg

A dice bag. As a D&Der, Warhammererererer, and overall nerd, a nice dice bag is always welcome. I'm looking forward to retiring my 15 yr old crown royal bag.

And what is this?! A game that complements the aforementioned story (or is that backward?!):
          e31oeh2wvpw9.jpg

An amazing find! I rolled high on the loot table.

@MNC Dover You made my return to the CF Secret Santa just as awesome as I remember them being. Thank you thank you for such a cool gift. A game I don't have that I have heard wonderful things about! I'm excited to play this over Thanksgiving break.

More importantly, thanks for being an awesome forumer. When I saw your name on the end of the letter I was hoping to get some of Reggie's hair, but I got the next best thing ;-) Thanks, man. Awesome Santa :biggrin:

Final loot shot:
          86dil7grqob4.jpg

Glad you enjoyed the gifts! Full story below:

The Long Journey

Day 287

It looks like our journey is finally coming to an end. Looking back, I wonder if we were crazy for even trying this shit. Maybe it would have been smarter to stay put, see if the whole thing passed us by. All those smiling faces….gone….was it worth it? 287 days…so long…

Ghost’s was the first to go, not that anyone was surprised. Dude was broken right from the start. Khade says it was because of the cataclysm, but Crimsoncoyote claims he knew Ghost before and he was always messed up. Me…hell, I don’t know…couldn’t really understand him. What the hell is a Nimbles anyway? Webguy claims it was self-defense…too bad we all trusted him.

Hedgethorn bought it at the river crossing in Mississippi. Damn fool was so caught up in his discussion about Hobby Horses and Lions Dens that he slipped off that log and cracked his skull. Sad way to go…

Webguy showed his true colors when he was caught eating our food stores off schedule. ArcSyn had him in his sights and Webguy just fell on the ground muttering…

“Chewie! Leebo?! Somebody, draw their fire! DRAW THEIR FIRE!!”

Khade was firmly opposed to what we all decided had to what ArcSyn had to do. He got Valhalla to side with him and they tried to sneak out at night. We found them torn up badly about 20 miles up the road. Khade was done and Valhalla was almost finished too. I grasped his hand and asked him why. He looked me right in the eyes and said…

“The heck with it. I’m in. PM Sent.”

I don’t know what the hell that meant. Probably the ramblings of a dying Norse God. Never understood them types anyways. On the plus side, we ate lobster claws that night and they were good.

Losing those guys sent Rend over the edge. He damn near brought the entire horde down on us with his screams of “YES! YES!” ArcticLancer was the closest to him and silenced him. Rend deserved better but we all have our breaking point.

Unfortunately, Rend’s cries brought enough of those damned monsters to our camp that we had to fight. We lost Koreg, J, and mere_immortal. Koreg missed the last fight and was so eager to make up for it. J used his rabbit gang skills to fend off 2-3 off those things before getting overrun. Mere_immortal…well, let’s just say he wasn’t quite living up to his name. He kept meaning to sign up…

With our group tattered and torn, we buried the dead and moved on. D0rkAngl was different after the last encounter. After our losses, he offered him a new job as one of our lead scouts. He was so excited and kept saying, “I’m totally in!” Poor kid…we lost he and Brayster to some crazed survivors. I buried Brayster but couldn’t think of anything meaningful to put on the headstone, so I just scribbled, “But not today!”

Gabriel….damn Gabriel. He was such a good person. Kept telling me that once we were safe, he was gonna work real hard at eliminating that Warhammer Marine and Ork collection on eBay. I should never have told him there wasn’t an eBay anymore. Found his body the next morning buried in miniatures, paints, and dice. Nobody should go out that way…nobody….

As for Gizzy, well she was pretty nice until her sad demise near Memphis. She wandered a little too close to that feral cat. Damn thing bit her and must have given her some disease. We didn’t have the medicine to help her and the fever overtook her.
          Delduwath and Iron Weasel. What more do I even need to say about them? Who’d have thought that these two would die in an arm-wrestling match? With all the dangers in this world and that’s how they go? Delduwath screaming, “I’m with SAVAGE REX!” and Iron Weasel yelling, “You son of a bitch!” Eldercat said they both died from simultaneous heart failure. What is wrong with this world?

Speaking of Eldercat, he bought it while trying to pushing that Square Cash on Denada. Dude finally broke and screamed that money had no value anymore. I tried to break them up, but they kept staring at each other, Eldercat with his smug smile and hat and Denada with that toothy, spongy grin. Neither one of them broke off and ended up getting mauled by those horrible creatures. To their credit, neither one of them broke eye contact at the bitter end…

Bursar was so done. It wasn’t long after we started the journey that he started muttering “two”. Going on and on about “Two Secret Santas” or something. Nobody knew what he meant and he wandered off. When we found him, he had finally snapped and was standing over the bodies of Crimsoncoyote and ArcticLancer. Covered in blood, he turned to us and said, “I hope you’re happy.” The single gunshot rang out into the cold air and Bursar was gone.

Guibs made it longer than anyone ever imagined. His cold gaze and focus on external shipping costs kept him alive. Who’d have thought that focusing on selecting and matching people by country would translate into excellent survival skills? Unfortunately, he was done in when he ran into that crazy Texan guy. I tried to warn him you don’t mess with Texas, but he kept saying he was a weekend warrior from up north and could handle it. Damn…

Kirindal and See317 were taken out on a food run. Kirindal was eaten by some strange origami monster thing and See317’s body was in a cardboard box nearby. Dayspring lost it upon seeing their remains wandered off alone. When he found him, he was slumped next to a tree with the word “Reasons!” etched into it. We buried all three of

Then we lost Zombie Hero. He was so close to the end too. Problem was that he’d become arrogant and started believing in his own self-proclaimed name. He bought us time to escape though. His screams didn’t last long so I don’t think he suffered too long…

That left just CF Santa and I. Our morale was done and our food supplies expended. We each took turns leaning on the other, focusing on just putting one foot in front of the other. Exhaustion was overcoming us and it didn’t look like we’d make it. We’d come so far…it wasn’t fair. Neither one of us was prepared when the zombie things came out of the bushes. We fought them off like we’d done a hundred times before…but our strength was waning. CF Santa threw the bag with the package in it and told me to go. He said it was imperative that you receive these gifts. I tried to argue put he pointed his green six-sided shooter at me with a look of finality in his eyes. With tears in my eyes and ran. His dying screams haunt me to this day…

One week passed and I made it here to Ohio…this supposed promised land. I’m hoping that you’ll know what to do with this package’s contents. I only pray that it was worth it and you can bring about the end of this nightmare world we’re living in.

I’m sorry I couldn’t be here in person, but a horde appeared down the way and I had to make a choice. Don’t come looking for me. I’m going to try and drive them north to Cleveland…nothing good ever happens there anyway so I figure it’s a safe place to go.

Take care of yourself and have a Merry Christmas!

Ben “MNC Dover” Gray

My non-PA gift showed up last week! You're lucky I sent your gift early.

12227112_10207953996353737_809516138486470148_n.jpg?oh=f36f2876434a8d1fc58b9d65236402d8&oe=56FAD636

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
          Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
          Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
          Steam ID
          Twitch Page
          Ahhhhh the universe is right again. You saved me a restless night of sleep

Congrats @MNC Dover!!!!!!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
          • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
            Man it has been an X-wing kind of Christmas this year!

Also Mad Congrats to @MNC Dover

Steam ID: Webguy20
            Origin ID: Discgolfer27
            Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
          • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
            Of course, @webguy20 killed me. His always after my Suicide Squadron!

• HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
            You get an X-Wing! You get an X-Wing! Everybody gets an X-Wing! </Oprah>

• The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
            I decided to gift out Armada this year, not X-Wing, because I'm too chic and cool and new for all that.

(I gifted X-wing last year and didn't want to be one note to the SAME PERSON).

I don't get all that to the table often enough.

Seriously though, top class so far guys. I feel like we're all into THE EXACT SAME THINGS

Steam: TheBrayster
            PSN: TheBrayster_92
          • GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
            I'm like the glaring exception to the cool people club - don't send me X-wing!

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
            Island Name: Felinefine
            Gizzy wrote: »
            I'm like the glaring exception to the cool people club - don't send me X-wing!

So we should send you and Zombie Hero X-wings so you guys can join us!

One of us. One of us.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
            haha that would be funny, everyone who plays X-wing just chip in with a single ship to the folks on the forum who don't. I like the idea of crowdfunding a gaming addiction.

• HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
            How cognitively advanced does one need to be to adequately play X-Wing? My 5-year-old is starting to really get into Star Wars, and while I'm sure X-Wing would still be above her comprehension level (right now her favorite games include Uno, Catan Junior, and Frozen Monopoly), I'm curious how far she has to go to engage in some grown-up PEW PEW action.

The rules here.

It might be a bit advance for a 5 year old, but then again, I was reading at Goosebumps and Hardy Boys by the time I was in Kindergarten so depends on how smart your 5 year old is.

The rules here.

It might be a bit advance for a 5 year old, but then again, I was reading at Goosebumps and Hardy Boys by the time I was in Kindergarten so depends on how smart your 5 year old is.

Yea I think the hardest part will be attention span and memory. The core rules are pretty basic, but there are so many card modifiers and stuff that it can be challenging. I'd try a starter set game though, 1 x-wing versus 2 tie, that's pretty basic.

Or do that campaign that came out, I can't remember the name, but you could play cooperatively with that.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
            As it turns out, the unemployment gods were not kind to me and my unemployment insurance just dried up. I had planned to send more, but @webguy20 it looks like that one package may be it for now. I will try to make it up to you when I can.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
            As it turns out, the unemployment gods were not kind to me and my unemployment insurance just dried up. I had planned to send more, but @webguy20 it looks like that one package may be it for now. I will try to make it up to you when I can.

Hey dude its all good! I got surprise star wars. Can't beat that. You gotta take care of yourself. Im glad i know who to thank now!

webguy20 wrote: »
            The rules here.

Yea I think the hardest part will be attention span and memory. The core rules are pretty basic, but there are so many card modifiers and stuff that it can be challenging. I'd try a starter set game though, 1 x-wing versus 2 tie, that's pretty basic.

Or do that campaign that came out, I can't remember the name, but you could play cooperatively with that.

I have played X-wing with my 7 and 4 year olds. I don't use special abilities or additional cards or anything just to keep it simple (move/attack) but they picked it up quickly. The hardest part is trusting them not to break a model.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
          • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
            GiftGet4b_zpsb34314b9.gif

During the day, my wife emailed me to let me know that I received a package today. Every time this sort of thing happens, I like to play a guessing game throughout the day: What could this package contain? Is it the chunk of real kryptonite that I bought on eBay, the auction cunningly avoiding being flagged as contraband by listing it as imitation kryptonite? Is it the idol from the Temple of the Iridescent Monkey, won by me in a high-stakes game of blackjack from Doc Bramson, famous action archaeologist and tomb thief? Is it the next clue from my future self in a scavenger hunt that will lead me to my doom?

Oh no, my friends. Oh no. It was so much more. It was my holiday gift from Nullzefeth Horace Zonawen, known around here as @Nullzone! Let us survey the bounty:
            IMG_20151112_203743_zpsamlxtsvj.jpg

Let's take a closer look at these in order.

IMG_20151112_204238_zpsn7jp4ujq.jpg
            The famous Portable Poly-Cell of Plan-O the Paranoid, fit for holding fast anything from rampaging beast to volatile lab equipment. I'm using this one to store my archnemeses, the Seven Triune Demons, frozen in stasis and miniaturized for convenience.

IMG_20151112_203856_zpsiizxmqvg.jpg
            What's this, sheathed in aurum and bearing my benefactor's signature?

IMG_20151112_204203_zps44xkqfiz.jpg
            Why, it is a box denoting humanity's collective descent into the metaphorical trollfens, and the hopeful tale of its eventual rise from same. Packed within are beasts most foul, heroes noble, and lands that test the spirit and resolve. A tale told through time, in miniature.

IMG_20151112_204302_zpskk9jtnin.jpg
            The next gift is swathed in emerald and jade. You will note that this container is scuffed up at one end, unraveling at the other. It's as if the contents are crackling with power, unable to be contained by mortal means.

IMG_20151112_204437_zpsgpx7te41.jpg
            And so it is! The mystic tome of the Amber Monks, stolen by the Queen of Monkeys, gifted to Jeremiah Crane, lost by Iron Monarch, and discovered anew by young Jimmy Spar in the yard sale that would change his life. And now, it is mine!

Seriously, though, these gifts are amazing. There's always use for a Plano box, so that's just thoughtful. Descent is one of my all-time favorite games; I don't get to play it as often as I'd like, but that's OK - I honestly enjoy just having the pieces, worlds in a box. Also, there's something about the character build options being made physical in the form of powers and items rendered on cards that pleases me immensely. (Note that the box isn't shrink-wrapped in the photo; this is because I got so excited when I saw it that I ripped it open before I remembered to take the photo.) And Feng Shui! Holy hell, I am so excited about that! Just a few months ago, I was reading Kieron Gillen talk about the original Feng Shui, and thinking "that sounds incredible". And now I have the next iteration! This is so awesome! I'm really looking forward to digging into this book; I flipped through it, and just the sample characters alone put a huge grin on my face.

Thank you so much, Nullzone! You knocked it out of the park, into the next park, bounced it off of the home plate there, and then into the park adjacent to that! (Is that how baseball works? I'm not a sports guy)

• NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
            Ha, they put the gift tags on the wrong packages :p

I'm glad everything arrived in one piece though! Enjoy FS2, I really get a kick out of that game and it's one of a very short list of RPGs that I felt like I could GM immediately vs needing to learn the ins and outs of the system first.

• KoregKoreg Registered User regular
            edited November 2015
            The newest of entrail divining says someone in Washington now has packages.

sybill-trelawney-profile.jpg

Edit: To something called a Parcel Locker at USPS. Unsure what that means

Koreg on
            If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
          • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
            Nullzone wrote: »
            Ha, they put the gift tags on the wrong packages :p
            That's what I figured, based on the contents of the tags vs. the contents of the gifts! And then I confirmed it, because the packing slip had the messages listed with the correct items. I'm glad I looked at it, because you also entered a message for the Plano box, but they didn't attach a tag to it (and also didn't wrap it).

Thanks again!

xdlcbrsdi88n.gif

So 7 parcels arrived to me today. That's fine, but I was expecting 5.

Hrmmmm....
            jjrqoqs1hd1a.jpg

'Scuse the mess.
            30f6gxbxddea.jpg

But wait, a tag? Oh gosh, that tag can only mean one thing!

ldk03i4vy775.jpg

Codenames AND PANDEMIC LEGACY!? HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE

5c0hmkucl5yu.jpg

Thank you so much @Rend ! I have a games night coming up on Sunday and I know both of these will be massive hits on the table I'm sure!

• RendRend Registered User regular
            Brayster made my job extremely easy by going with the "pack my wishlist with GOTY contenders" strategy. I hope both of those are smash hits! And right when Codenames came back into stock.

Truly it was not me that got you this gift, I was merely the mortal vessel for destiny.

Rend wrote: »
            Brayster made my job extremely easy by going with the "pack my wishlist with GOTY contenders" strategy. I hope both of those are smash hits! And right when Codenames came back into stock.

Truly it was not me that got you this gift, I was merely the mortal vessel for destiny.

@The Brayster you have to post opinions about Pandemic Legacy when you play it. I was a huge fan of Risk Legacy and am real interested in this one.

I too, am a real fan of Risk Legacy. I'm actually 11 games in with my group.

The LEGACY in the title should be enough to convince my group that it's THE shit.

And yeah, the last few months have been packed with amazing looking games hat I've specifically not touched because I have already spent a bunch of money on boardgames and am trying to encourage the practice of playing each of them many times, rather than just once or twice.

This also frees up some dolla for a new wave of Armada ships.

uuunnnggghhhhhhhh what have you made me do.

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
            Nice! Codenames is awesome and heard nothing but good things about legacy.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
            Pandemic Legacy looks great. I spoiled myself somewhat watching some of the Dice Tower's playthrough, only because I wasn't sure I could find a consistent group to play through the game with; the narrative arc of this game looks fantastic, unlike anything else I can think of in boardgaming.

10% off all items flash sale at CoolStuffInc.com this afternoon. Someone's going to be getting a big surprise before too long.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
            Koreg wrote: »
            The newest of entrail divining says someone in Washington now has packages.

sybill-trelawney-profile.jpg

Edit: To something called a Parcel Locker at USPS. Unsure what that means

I'm in Washington but received no notice, so it wasn't me. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
            Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
            Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
            Steam ID
            Twitch Page
          • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
            online gift get. out and about today, will post about it later!