As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Camp Comic] Friday, November 13, 2015 - Delivery

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited November 2015 in Camp Weedonwantcha

image[Camp Comic] Friday, November 13, 2015 - Delivery

Delivery

Delivery

http://campcomic.com/comic/263

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• briguybriguy Registered User regular
    It's ok. I wanted to cry this morning anyways.

Then I got to the final panel. Now we know why Fed is charge of the kitchen. Poor Malachi looks defeated. Seventeen hanging on for dear life. And I'm pretty sure Tanner has the worst luck (scar from his past fight, shot in the leg by an arrow, and now he's cut his finger).

That's also a wonderful, ominous mountain trail to the camp.

• mathsgeekmathsgeek Registered User regular
    Though i knew what was going to happen, i can't belive Fred's dad was persuaded to leave him at the camp. I'm not happy that the girlfriend was non chalauntly adjusting the new family photo. :[

That last panel is awesome though, it kind of reminds me of that community gif. I should have guessed that everything was going a little too smoothly! I hope Fred can salvage the dinner though, i'm pretty sure that he can.

The teacup precariously perched on Brian's head makes me smile.

• mathsgeekmathsgeek Registered User regular
    That image of Brian is awesome. I just realised, is Malechi the only one that wear's shoes in the camp? I've been reading this from the start and have only just noticed, i think i must have been concentrating too much on cats.

• DublinDublin Registered User regular
    The camp should be renamed "Camp Weedonwantchaanimor"

Malachi, Purdy, Linus, and the juggling camper all have shoes. I may be missing someone.

• ZMBMNZMBMN Registered User new member
    that moment when the monster under the bed is your parent.....

• arianeariane Registered User regular
    Even knowing the ending, watching this play out hurts my heart. I can't imagine choosing anyone over my child. If a person comes into a relationship with kids, they are a package deal!

• FlaxSeedFlaxSeed Registered User regular
    Fred, they obviously don't handle the heat. Get them out of your kitchen.

And Fred's father... Fred was the one who helped you in times of grief, not that trophy wife.

• skywardshadowskywardshadow Registered User new member
    You've been breaking my heart over and over again with this storyline.

• PublikwerksPublikwerks Registered User regular
    I really hope in 10 years, all the campers leave and seek out their "parents" for their indy SAW film.

• HipsterSlenderHipsterSlender ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    Well, there goes the slim hope that the trophy wife took Fred there with the eventual thrilling/heartbreaking spin-off take of Fred's dad trying to find the Camp and save his son.

"Order! Order! Do you kids wanna be like the real U.N., or do you just wanna squabble and waste time?"
  • CheddarLimboCheddarLimbo Registered User regular
    I'm getting a new shirt made that just says "Damn it, Katie..."

• jlbjlb Registered User regular
    Is it weird that reading this comic makes me want to be a foster parent in real life? I need to address these feels somehow.

• Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    Love Fred's expression, last panel.

Hate Fred's Dad.

• fadinginterestfadinginterest Registered User regular
    Fantastic storyline, Katie. Is there any chance of getting the mountain road landscape as a big wallpaper?

• FroytonFroyton Registered User regular
    @JLB: Not at all. I was never a foster child, but my family took in several foster children while I was growing up, so it kind of speaks to me.

And yeah, holy crap this is a depressing thing to wake up to on a Friday morning.

• ironheadironhead Registered User regular
    And...there's the gut punch we'd all been bracing ourselves for since this story line started.

• orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    I feel properly kicked in the nuts now.

(Well done)

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • UltimAXEUltimAXE Registered User new member
    why why Why WHY is this strip so effed up?!
    And why do I like it so much? My favorite strip is still the one where the beaver kills his family. Am I just a terrible person?

• HipsterSlenderHipsterSlender ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    @Ultimaxe I hope it doesn't mean that because that one is amazing. I just looked it up again the other day. That look on the beaver's face

"Order! Order! Do you kids wanna be like the real U.N., or do you just wanna squabble and waste time?"
  • Charon'sLittleHelperCharon'sLittleHelper Registered User regular
    So - is the implication that the camp is in a tiny valley in the center of a vast mountain range? (The Rockies probably) Perhaps that's why the campers can't escape by going to the nearest road.

• cubbylostboycubbylostboy Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Maybe we've been looking at Camp Weedonwantcha in the wrong way. Yeah, it's a scary, spooky somewhat surreal place but Seventeen has found a protector in Brian, Brian found a place to commune with nature and protect those who need it, Malachai (despite his best efforts) found something related to performing that he is really good at when it comes to organizing an event. You have a person who loves working with books being the librarian, someone who loves to carve notches being able to do so to their heart's content and Fred found a place where he can cook. There are fights, contusions, bruises, lacerations and mountain lions, but I can't recall anyone being permanently maimed or killed. Even zipline kid came back after he fell off (as I recall). Overall the campers seem happy with occasional moments of gloom, lions, or kitchen incidents. Maybe instead of being a bad place, the camp is more of an imperfect refuge from insane and clueless parents. Plus, if you believe in karma, who knows what happened to the parents and evil siblings after their kids left. I'd like to think that Fred's father (nope, he's not a dad) and Red were in their house when a stray NASA satellite fell on top of them. Then again, I believe in faith, trust and pixie dust so take it with a huge grain of salt. P.S. Don't forget Katie, you promised us Brian's backstory too (not that I'm massively curious about it or anything).

cubbylostboy on
  • martimusmartimus Registered User new member
    Such an evil woman. I wonder how slowly and painfully the cancer is going to kill her?

• te-kunte-kun Registered User regular
    @CUBBYLOSTBOY I think it was implied there was a dead kid in the comic "
    The Most Horrible Place in the World" where a kid is burying something and pretend it is nothing when Malachi passes by and hurry to finish it once they left.

• Roymaster45Roymaster45 Registered User regular
    Let's be honest, Fred - you knew it was going to be pandemonium when you got back.

On a more serious note, I really liked this flashback arc. Yeah, it was pretty damn sad, but I like the way it evolved, as opposed to just being "this one thing happened and the parents are mad so they sent the kid to camp". (And, TBH, I feel like there's still room for interpretation as to the exact reason why Fred's dad brought him to the camp.)

• superheroboysuperheroboy Registered User new member
    I have to stop reading this comic. The feels are too real.

• jaycrockettjaycrockett Registered User new member
    Arg this is just crushing. I have been secretly harboring a backstory that the kids are sent to camp for their benefit, like it's a post apocalyptic situation or something, and the name Weedonwantcha is just to keep them from wanting to return. The supply drops are automated and malfunctioning, coming from a world that's mostly destroyed.
    But no, Fred's story pretty clearly spells it out.
    This going to take me a while to get over. As a dad, a zombie apocalypse is easier to believe than a guy giving up is only son to please a new girlfriend. That makes no sense to me.

• SinbadEVSinbadEV Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    @jaycrockett
    I don't think the parents think they are "getting rid of" their children... they are sending them to camp... I send my kids to camp... plenty of parents send their kids to boarding schools for most of the year or hire people to take care of them... I'm sure the parents tell themselves that eventually they are going to pick the kids up when "things have settled down"... it just never happens... life never get's sorted out when their solution to problems is to not look at them.

SinbadEV on
  • kofshinobikofshinobi Registered User new member
    I prefer this to the poison theory at least.

• theGrognardtheGrognard Registered User regular
    This just makes me want to know more about the whacked out world this camp is in. It's interesting in that the decision to abandon these kids is not bureaucratic and yet there is some "support" mechanism...although evidence shows a not very good one.

I'm hooked. Reel me in.

• lurkergaolurkergao Registered User new member
    i think the children are actually dead and this is an afterlife for unwanted people and things like the isle of misfit toys. an entire camp of people can not live off of one cup o noodle packet. hence i think they eat to feel better not because they need nutrition. i never really see a sign that the camp is all starving.

• Android 21 3/7Android 21 3/7 Registered User regular
    I was expecting "heart crushed with sledgehammer" pain. I was wrong. I feel nothing but rage. I was hoping Fred's dad died and Red was the only one responsible for sending him away. Still heart wrenching, but a little more understandable. But Fred's dad? Really, Fred's dad? Your own son, who was strong for you during your darkest moments, the little boy who cooked your meals and saw to your health, you choose to toss him aside?

• metfanscmetfansc Registered User regular
    I actually was going to say the same thing as Android apparently. I was expecting the same thing, I was expecting sadness and instead I am just extremely angry, sad yes, but this one made me want to see a future comic of buff survival Fred coming back and reeking vengeance on all involved.

I had been hoping it would at least be trophy wife dropping him off at the camp and so I could believe that it was her tricking the father that Fred had run off.

Rough comic, beautiful as always and so much told in a simple large panel of a mountain.

• DublinDublin Registered User regular
    Oh my... Is that Fred catching fire in the very first comic strip?

I think they're well aware that once they drop them off, they're not coming back for them.
    If they survive, fine, if they don't, fine.
    The children simply do not exist anymore to them.
    We don't know enough about the camp to know what happens a camper reaches adulthood.
    For all of our anger and sadness, Fred appears well adjusted.
    In this universe, unwanted things are left there. Sometimes kids suddenly become unwanted. They don't meet expectations, or no longer fit into the new family unit.
    It's a sad reality, because it is our reality. But at least Camp Weedonwantcha gives them hope. Fred is using what he can to make worthwhile dinners for them all. Even the worst circumstance, he's using his gift to make others happy.

• ZyxxZyxx Registered User regular
    I hope his car breaks down on the way back and he gets eaten by the mountain lion.

• SargeSarge Registered User regular
    I think you are all overlooking the most important thing in the history of this series: THE SOUP HAS BEEN RUINED! :0

• Ilze123Ilze123 Registered User regular
    so now I know (/sadness). thank you for the last panel, it helped.

I ask you though to not do this (last funny panel) with the backstory of Brian. Go all the way (yes, don't hold back) and I will have my tissues ready when you are ready to tell it.

I don't think I said it before so now I do. Thank you for this web comic

• ToromTorom Registered User new member
    edited November 2015
    Few questions: Is there a reason everyone is calling the Father's new girlfriend a trophy wife? Was that indicated somewhere? Is there a particular reason people dislike her so much? Maybe I missed something but the only thing that comes to mind is that she was upset at the sight of the picture of Mom. But, we don't really know much about that situation, and I think it is important to note that she didn't get mad at kid for showing the picture, she is just upset and walks away from the situation. The Father pushes the kid back and chases her, which leads to some arguement, which we don't really know the context of. I guess from my readthough I am inclined to put the most blame on the father, and didn't pick up as much reason to dislike the girlfriend, but it is possible I missed something. Just curious, because I have really enjoyed this storyline.

TLDR Why do people dislike the new girlfriend and call her "trophy"

Torom on