As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense! (ironman, superhuman, starting tech & council funding only)

• Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    It's only a flesh wound....

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Technically all wounds are flesh wounds!

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Well, until we get psychic aliens around.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Technically all wounds are flesh wounds!
    What about broken bones?

• Options
    FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    At Morning Butter's feet lies the penultimate step on our research path to victory: a stunned alien Leader. His assignment for the rest of the mission is clear. Using a stun rod tossed to him by Gabriel_Pitt, Butter will guard the Leader and put it down again should it begin to stir.

cDl48DY.png

A few doors up the street, Rend decides he doesn't have time to babysit another sleeping alien, so he subcontracts the job to a grenade. This arrangement works out splendidly for everyone, except the Floater.

Now our singular focus is saving the Colonel. She has three turns left, and there's no telling what the enormous bulk of the apartment building is concealing.

07WnXOW.png

Fortunately, this idiot has exposed himself to a man with a machinegun.

2B8rtBl.gif

Hat trick.

XbE2RSV.png

On the other side of the building, Pixie finds a fifth Reaper lowering its head for a charge at this civilian.

NwKHEnb.gif

Molybdenum lets a proxy fly from the park, and Pixie ducks back behind the corner.

The discovery of the Reaper is miserable luck. It holds up up our advance on the eastern flank, and no one with suitable weaponry is in position to get a shot on it.

fQdkTC1.png

We catch a tremendous break when the proximity grenade kills it outright.

vyPveMO.png

But now Talus is just two turns away from bleeding out. We've cleared almost all of the map. I thought that Reaper would be the end of it. Where the hell is the final alien?

zxhVe8m.png

Morning Butter pokes his head into the warehouse. Shadows reign on the far wall, but all is still and quiet.

cDfoZcO.png

Rend checks the other storage facility to the north. Nothing there either.

nvrNQ6x.png

With Pixie and Molybdenum coming up from the south, manwiththemachinegun and Existential Doubt push east to converge on the last patch of ground still concealed by the fog of war.

We have to hope the last alien is there. If it's in the apartment building, we'll never find it in time. There are too many floors, too much space to cover.

As the Colonel's final turn commences, this notification appears:

nJTAIvD.png

Existential Doubt rolls up on the convenience store, ready to crack it open to find our cowering prey if need be.

CdBGpkR.png

But no.

E2WilkG.png

In the end, all that's required is a steady hand and a keen eye.

Wait. It's still not over?

jftbVWT.png

Oh. You.

Get some sleep, Floater Leader. You're going to need it.

DkbYiyE.gif

You've got a date with a very special lady.

QcIB2F8.png

The loss of crucialityfactor leaves an empty space in our hearts and in our ranks.

EOtkkNZ.png

The latter, at least, can be filled. Congratulations, Rend.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Well.

Even allowing for the fact those were only floaters, that could have gone much worse.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Today I got a kidney stone.

It's all good, it's a non complicated one.

I'm already back home with pain killers and other drugs etc.

But yeah, I didn't have much fun.

So I come home, I check the first thread at the top of my favourites.

And what do I see?

I see that my Xcom Avatar got given explicit instructions to MELEE a floater leader if he so much as twitches a limb.

And then I get to see Morning Butter scream and charge and smack him down.

10/10 would relive day again.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Welcome to the muscle butter vat, Cruciality. The burning sensation goes away eventually, probably.

cB557 on
  • Options
    I am pleased with the combat performance of my digital counter part. It is just as well he has not been promoted, otherwise crayons, nap-time, and other such diversions would be quickly instituted throughout the ranks. Such frivolity has no place while our campaign against the alien menace continues.
    Dear Amy,

Thank you for the cookies! I ate them all, but not all at once at. That would make my stomach upset like last time.

Today, the explosion friends went to a new town! I was sad, because the bus left another friend to go to take a forever sleep. I was soooo angry! I used my noise gun and don't remember much. It was very loud. But everyone was very nice after the party was over. They said I made the bad gnome stealers explode good, so I was happy.

I think everyone is mad at Mr. Phaselight though. Everyone kept shouting, "MORE BUTTER! NOT ENOUGH BUTTER!" Maybe he forgot the butter? Maybe he STOLE the butter? It was all very confusing.

I will eat another of your cookies when I get home!

-A man with a machinegun

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Woo! We got a leader!

Do we need a commander or is a leader good enough? Anyways,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWDaDi2qHxY

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular
    *sits moodily looking out the window of the Skyranger on the return flight, replaying explosions in her head*

Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Squad

I'm not gonna lie, this was our best mission yet. This valuable resupply effort has retrieved well over three tons of reaperburger for us! You can look forward to a grill-out next week,

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    Squad

I'm not gonna lie, this was our best mission yet. This valuable resupply effort has retrieved well over three tons of reaperburger for us! You can look forward to a grill-out next week,

To say nothing of the 30 kilos or so of crucialityfactor that we recovered.
    Naturally, it'll go to feeding command first, but there might be some leftovers for the rest of us to enjoy.

What can I say, all that muscle butter makes for some lean, tender meat.

• Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    Oh hello sickbay, I think i've spent more time in here than out in combat!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I'd say there's cute nurses.
    But I volunteer.
    Don't worry I give the best therapeutic massages.

*cracks knuckles*

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    irO32qo.png

It's the perogative of every officer to take a nice, long summer vacation.

u7znejR.png

Why, even the Floater Leader is using its time off to visit one of Europe's premier historical buildings.

uGcYHj0.png

Some of us are still working, though. Two days after the terror in Santiago, Mudzgut sends another Medium Scout crashing to earth in the woodlands near Neo-ChongQing. Since close quarters combat in a forest sounds like a great way to commit suicide, I decide to pass on the recovery mission.

Besides, greater things are currently drawing our attention.

s34v6Si.png

We're almost at the end of a long road. After iterating on several flawed designs, the research department finally has a winner in mind.

GaXQN7X.png

They've taken to calling it "The Avenger Initiative." Once this final aerospace project is complete, we'll just need to discover where they're coming from.

VdKf5Jz.png

And they're still coming, of course. More frequently with each passing week. This Large Scout cruises around the Gulf of Mexico before making landfall in Mississippi.

FmvvIzd.gif

There its journey ends. MechMantis's tenth air combat victory sees him promoted to the rank of Major, and leaves him only two kills behind EvmaAlsar on the leaderboard.

9H8xfOW.png

With Mt. Rushmore's roster still not at full strength after Santiago, and considering that our score for June must surely be secure, we can afford to skip this UFO recovery as well. The United States Air Force obliterates the crash site with laser-guided bombs later that day.

e83XMxZ.png

In addition to hiring another pair of rookies to bolster Mt. Rushmore, I'm having Sergeant Rend and fedaykin666 trade places. Moving Rend to Asia will balance out the distribution of officers among our bases, while fedaykin666 brings some much-needed marksmanship to the Americas.

It's the last piece of business as June draws to a close.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Almost there!

What's the expected resistance when you get to Cydonia?

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    Almost there!

A ton of Sectoids, some Cyberdisks, Ethereals, Siliciods, Chryssalids, and Celatids.

Oh. And Sectopods. Which are pretty much immune to everything you have.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Almost there!

A ton of Sectoids, some Cyberdisks, Ethereals, Siliciods, Chryssalids, and Celatids.

Is that regardless of how fast you rush it?
    IIRC early on it was established that Fire damage bypassed armour, which presented an alternative to obliterating things with ample quantities of explosives.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Holy crap Fanda is so creative and funny.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Almost there!

We did find out that fire damage ignores armor, so we might have a way to kill Sectopods.

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    Almost there!

We did find out that fire damage ignores armor, so we might have a way to kill Sectopods.

Eventually.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    We can only cram 32 of us into an Avenger. I think we would run out of bodies before a Sectopod would DIAF.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    I think the avenger was only 24 max capacity. but maybe that was with two tanks? If it wasn't for the fact that Cydonia is blaster bomb hell, I would of tried beating it in my many play troughs with out cheesing them also. I honestly expect us to get destroyed turn 2-3 on Cydonia due to mass panics and a blaster bomb before we even get fully unloaded.

Vechloran.png
  • Options
    Velmeran wrote: »
    I think the avenger was only 24 max capacity. but maybe that was with two tanks? If it wasn't for the fact that Cydonia is blaster bomb hell, I would of tried beating it in my many play troughs with out cheesing them also. I honestly expect us to get destroyed turn 2-3 on Cydonia due to mass panics and a blaster bomb before we even get fully unloaded.

26. Or 10 and 4 tanks.

And the first stage is just Sectoids, so it's a bit rocket tag. It's quite possible, but if it goes wrong, you're going to have a bad time.

• Options
    Yeah but this is Fanda.
    He's our man.
    If he can't do it.
    No one can!

• Options

26. Or 10 and 4 tanks.

And the first stage is just Sectoids, so it's a bit rocket tag. It's quite possible, but if it goes wrong, you're going to have a bad time.

Let's be honest though, we're going to Mars with glorified machine guns.
    A bad time is all but assured.

• Options
    If this was just normal X-com instead of open X-com, we could abuse this bug that makes every bit of fire on the map deal damage to anything in it whenever any new fire is created. Unfortunately, this is openXcom, so there aren't really any bugs to exploit.

• Options
    I am braced for Cydonia where the ramps drop, and we take a blaster missile right in the dropship.

Get excited!

• Options
    Of course, it's probably a bit early to start talking about Cydonia. We'll have to make it through an alien base first.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    If this was just normal X-com instead of open X-com, we could abuse this bug that makes every bit of fire on the map deal damage to anything in it whenever any new fire is created. Unfortunately, this is openXcom, so there aren't really any bugs to exploit.

Also 80 item limit though, so..

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

26. Or 10 and 4 tanks.

Let's be honest though, we're going to Mars with glorified machine guns.
    A bad time is all but assured.

Sectoids. Even our machine guns can kill them quite easily. It's just if they see us first... yeah.

• Options
    I'm thinking of taking two tanks on the Cydonia mission, which would leave room for 18 soldiers. The armor will let us push out of the Avenger a lot more aggressively. Depending on where our landing zone is, I might disembark half the team on turn 1 without waiting for smoke, so as to avoid a catastrophic blaster bomb or Bigity Incident.

The main drawback to tanks on Mars is that they can't follow us underground. If we make it that far, I'm hoping to find a path to the brain that avoids Sectopods. Otherwise ... running past them as fast as our little legs will carry us might result in the fewest casualties.

• Options
    Gosh that sure is going to be an exciting mission.

• Options
    G1EFpfE.png

We killed thirty-three aliens in June, led by Mvrck and manwiththemachinegun with three apiece. Special mention goes to an_alt, who became the only trooper so far to kill at least one Sectoid, Floater, Snakeman, and Muton. If she can bag an Ethereal, she'll have a full house. I'm pretty sure that's how dead alien poker works.

QKV2Xkk.png

Despite the operation of the alien base in the Congo, all three African nations remain solidly on board with the project thanks to our successful interdiction and recovery of the Muton Large Scout on June 1st. If the aliens are smart, they'll suspend UFO flights over Africa in July to starve us for points.

ZPkEUoh.png

Haus von Trapp's fourth hangar has now finished construction. The second workshop will be ready as well by the time our new engineers arrive. We're just waiting on the science team to give us the Avenger schematics.

fTyiz3Z.png

Any bets on which race will be conducting July's terror mission?

Lt. timspork's ghost is tasked with the interception, in the hopes that the greater explosive yield of his Avalanche missiles will kill most of the Medium Scout's crew in the air.

YiUp8CB.png

His first salvo crushes UFO-52, which craters on the Jylland coast.

6YyRzYy.png

Although I'd rather not risk any more lives in the cramped environs of a Medium Scout crash site, Skyranger-1 sets out immediately to conduct a reconnaissance in force. The benefit of knowing what race we'll be facing later is too great to pass up.

For the first time, terror is coming to Europe. We're going to be ready for it.

• Options
    Fanda wrote: »
    I'm thinking of taking two tanks on the Cydonia mission, which would leave room for 18 soldiers. The armor will let us push out of the Avenger a lot more aggressively. Depending on where our landing zone is, I might disembark half the team on turn 1 without waiting for smoke, so as to avoid a catastrophic blaster bomb or Bigity Incident.

The main drawback to tanks on Mars is that they can't follow us underground. If we make it that far, I'm hoping to find a path to the brain that avoids Sectopods. Otherwise ... running past them as fast as our little legs will carry us might result in the fewest casualties.

Does this mean I'm not making the trip? :)

• Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »

Oh, you're coming. You'll just be armed with a rubber band and a handful of paperclips.

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    At this point the tiny fraction of my brain still operating on Earth just wants to go out in a blaze of glory. Otherwise I'll end up as a psyker test target in one of the Doc's labs.

• Options
    Durinia wrote: »
    Bigity wrote: »

Oh, you're coming. You'll just be armed with a rubber band and a handful of paperclips.

You'll put an eye out with those things.