As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Searching for a graphics card.

RoeRoe Always to the EastRegistered User regular
I'm looking for a new graphics card that doesn't run hot or have the fans blast when under pressure. The graphics card I have now runs hot when running WoW on high, which is obscene because the card is far more powerful and can run lots of games at maximum with the same stress.

This is the card I have right now / these are the cards I'm looking at.

The card I have is supposedly super clocked, which is ok because I can underclock it, but it still runs hot and the fans blare after about an hour at lower settings.

oHw5R0V.jpg
Roe on

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I don't know if Sapphire has any control software that ships with their cards, but if they do, try changing the fan profile to something like "silent". If there's not software bundled, something like MSI afterburner might work.

You could also check your case and cpu fans, they are fair source of noise as well.

At the end of the day though any card will get hot and there's only so much you can do to mitigate that without changing cases.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    This may be the fault of WoW more than your card. It's a game built on a code base that's now 11 years old. Of course modern gaming PC hardware is exponentially more powerful than what was around when WoW was new but WoW itself isn't written in such a way as to take advantage of all the power modern CPU's and GPU's have to offer efficiently.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Yea.....GPU's run hot. the 2x0 series cards do run hotter than the equivalent nVidia parts, but imo unless you're looking for more performance there isn't much point in changing it out.

I'll echo the WoW codebase not being super efficent. The code really is mostly like 13 years old now. But even still, you're playing a 3D game, your video card has to work to do that, and the heat produced doing so has to go somewhere.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Roe wrote: »
    I'm looking for a new graphics card that doesn't run hot or have the fans blast when under pressure. The graphics card I have now runs hot when running WoW on high, which is obscene because the card is far more powerful and can run lots of games at maximum with the same stress.

The card I have is supposedly super clocked, which is ok because I can underclock it, but it still runs hot and the fans blare after about an hour at lower settings.

Also, what kind of temps are you seeing? I think a frame of reference in that area would be the best starting point.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    HakuninHakunin Registered User regular

If your goal is super silent I would advise against EVGA. Get the MSI Gaming G4. Have also heard good things about the ASUS Strix and Gigabyte G1 models.

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Hakunin wrote: »

If your goal is super silent I would advise against EVGA. Get the MSI Gaming G4. Have also heard good things about the ASUS Strix and Gigabyte G1 models.

Does it run cool? That's really the problem with my current card.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    How hot does the card you have now actually get?

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Not sure but I think it's above 60 on high anything settings. It idles at 45 degrees Celsius.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    60 is nothing.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    60 is nothing.

I have to agree with this. As an example, my 970 sits at 28-35 while idling...but while playing pretty much anything, it'll climb to 65-68. The way I figure it, as long as it's under 70, it's fine.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    HakuninHakunin Registered User regular
    Hakunin wrote: »

Does it run cool? That's really the problem with my current card.

Yes, cool as in I've never seen my card go above 69C no matter what I throw at it. And as gaslight points out 60C isn't really that hot for a GPU under load. I believe the newer NVIDIA cards can get to 90C before the card starts to throttle itself.

The thing is the card is super silent under load. Fans don't even begin spin until the card hits 50C.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    I think it might be my CPU. After idling at high in Diablo 3, Legacy of the swarm, and Stormwind in succession, my card temp topped 63 and the low was 45.

*Edit* my GPU was maxed at 80%, my fans at 44%.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Here is my CPU and Mobo, all of my 8 CPUs were at 75% or above.

Here is my heat sink, I don't know if its the the reason for the noise.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    The problem was the CPU heat sink. Installed the stock and everything went ok maxing out my games.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I suspect that the 212 was not mounted correctly.

• Options
    I suspect that the 212 was not mounted correctly.

I believe it was, it just vibrated and blew air like nothing at higher temps.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I actually upgraded my card to an MSI Geforce GTX 970 and I had to ask myself why my other card even sold for the money I paid for it. My other card didn't work with HDMI and I had no idea what I was missing.

I get 90+ fps in WoW on ultra and the fan doesn't even kick in. This card eats through new games like a champ.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg